Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

what did you shoot in your last US Open?

What is your point?? It’s really not hard to see that Rory has a course management problem. A number of commentators have stated that he seems to never have a Plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,256 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you have to be a pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I had a 70 but it was very windy 😁😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

What is your point?? It’s really not hard to see that Rory has a course management problem. A number of commentators have stated that he seems to never have a Plan B.

his plan A works pretty well, why don't you enlighten us on what his plan be should be

you don't seem to understand how tough it is, par could win this and he aint that far off

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Good birdie. I think he’d take a finish at +2 now.

• Advertisement

his plan A works pretty well, why don't you enlighten us on what his plan be should be

you don't seem to understand how tough it is, par could win this and he aint that far off

Tayto lover would be lookin good.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Do you have to be a pro?

pro at sitting on the couch anyway

well not to sure what people think they know when they couldn't come anyway close to it themselves

He has had 2 pars in 12 holes. That’s simply not good enough. Yes the course is playing very tough but he is making it look harder with poor decision making. Tried to cut two iron shots into the par 3’s on back nine. Needs to be middle of greens and not flag hunting.

Play simple golf. Guarantee you get on the fairway with a long iron and then play for middle of the green. Just try a get a run of pars together with basic simple golf. Seems to be working for Harris English anyway.

well not to sure what people think they know when they couldn't come anyway close to it themselves

Ah come on, you don’t have to be a pro to have an opinion. Lets hope this doesn’t go down the road of the usual sniping.

I bet at the end of the round McIlroy will say he made a lot of mistakes out there. He’s turned it around, but he has hit a few ropey shots from the fairways and some questionable ones from the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Does this just apply for Golf? Or all sports?

• Advertisement

Did this just apply for Golf? Or all sports?

all sports of course

people don't have a clue what it takes

all sports of course

Well that's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭boardise

all sports of course

So do we take it that you do ?

He has had 2 pars in 12 holes. That’s simply not good enough. Yes the course is playing very tough but he is making it look harder with poor decision making. Tried to cut two iron shots into the par 3’s on back nine. Needs to be middle of greens and not flag hunting.

Play simple golf. Guarantee you get on the fairway with a long iron and then play for middle of the green. Just try a get a run of pars together with basic simple golf. Seems to be working for Harris English anyway.

And 3 birdies, one close to an eagle

middle of very difficult greens with no guarantee of a two putt

hes t20 on fairways hit and he's missed a few greens

the rough is cruel, they do an amazing job of getting it given the amount of grass take

Well that's nonsense.

its not nonsense

what makes you think you are an expert

from watching a bit of telly

boardise wrote: »
    So do we take it that you do ?

read it back and think again

read it back and think again

Have a beer, it’s Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

His course management is absolutely non existent. Another example on 11. One of the easier holes which just needs an iron off the tee. Misses fairway and then tries to force it to the green into more heavy rough.

He presumably hit an iron off the tee given he hit it 220, and missed the fairway. What does that have to do with course management? It’s jsut a bad shot. He’s hardly going to lay up then from wedge distance if he can get there.

fullstop wrote: »
    He presumably hit an iron off the tee given he hit it 220, and missed the fairway. What does that have to do with course management? It’s jsut a bad shot. He’s hardly going to lay up then from wedge distance if he can get there.

Obviously hitting bad shots is the main part of it. Look at the 7th hole. Both playing partners went past the pin to avoid slope at front before he leaves it 10 yards short. Bad shot but also poor management as the front of green should be taken out of play.

Poor course management and poor shots go hand in hand also to magnify mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Nightmare compared to yesterday.

• Advertisement

Have a beer, it’s Friday.

I can't, I'm doing a pretty basic online course in course management

Obviously hitting bad shots is the main part of it. Look at the 7th hole. Both playing partners went past the pin to avoid slope at front before he leaves it 10 yards short. Bad shot but also poor management as the front of green should be taken out of play.

Poor course management and poor shots go hand in hand also to magnify mistakes.

Great course management and bad shots work out great

Anyway, hopefully can finish off the round and stay where he is now at worst. Two very tough holes in 16 and 17 to come.

its not nonsense

what makes you think you are an expert

from watching a bit of telly

Where did I claim I'm an expert?

But to suggest that nobody can understand what it takes is ridiculous. Understanding it is one thing, but having the ability to do it is another thing, which only an elite few are capable of.

I can't, I'm doing a pretty basic online course in course management

No matter how much you study, you are not going to be able to play in the USOPEN, so don’t sweat it. Everyone has an opinion, don’t take it personally.

No matter how much you study, you are not going to be able to play in the USOPEN, so don’t sweat it. Everyone has an opinion.[/quote/]

Are you angling as some life coach or what

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Two well played holes there at least. Disappointing he didn’t make that one on 14 if he was within 7 feet. However the shot tracer seems to be all over the place so hard to know. If he somehow plays the last 3 in -1 he’s still in this. Needs two really good rounds at this which he’s capable of, but could just as easy add two more like today.

Where did I claim I'm an expert?

But to suggest that nobody can understand what it takes is ridiculous. Understanding it is one thing, but having the ability to do it is another thing, which only an elite few are capable of.

Armchair expert comes to mind

It's no stretch to say you don't understand what you are talking about despite the hubris you show in thinking you do

I mean to think they know better than Rory about golf, that they can see something that he cant

Just madness

tobsey wrote: »
    Two well played holes there at least. Disappointing he didn’t make that one on 14 if he was within 7 feet. However the shot tracer seems to be all over the place so hard to know. If he somehow plays the last 3 in -1 he’s still in this. Needs two really good rounds at this which he’s capable of, but could just as easy add two more like today.

Smart play needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I get quite annoyed watching Rory. I want him to do well. And he just seems to always make a balls of it. When he's not flowing he really doesn't often seem to have the ability to limit the damage and scramble a few pars to limit the damage, or even turn things around. The loose wedges, the half makeable putts that don't come within a foot of the hole, irons off the tees missing the green/fairway by a good bit. Very frustrating to watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement