Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Considering he looked like he was about to go +6 after 8 holes earlier, he actually did well from then on. Kept himself in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Dav010 wrote: »
    Smart play needed.

Played the last 5 really well. Unfortunate not to have made at least one birdie. He’ll probably do what he’s often accused of and get a back door top 10 and absolutely kick himself about today. I fully expect him to finish 3 off the lead at the end and that shocking run today will have cost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

tobsey wrote: »
    Played the last 5 really well. Unfortunate not to have made at least one birdie. He’ll probably do what he’s often accused of and get a back door top 10 and absolutely kick himself about today. I fully expect him to finish 3 off the lead at the end and that shocking run today will have cost him.

Middle of the fairway last 3 and didn't hit it close once, though hit nice shots. Needed to birdie one to feel positive vibes.

Middle of the fairway last 3 and didn't hit it close once, though hit nice shots. Needed to birdie one to feel positive vibes.

If he’d played like that the whole round he’d be tied for the lead. Compared to holes 2-13 it was very good.

He hit it close once on the last 5 and didn’t take advantage but at least he was never in trouble. Not unreasonable to think he’d have made one of them but wasn’t to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Had a beautiful round going but just hit a very poor second shot on 11. Hopefully gets a big up and down ahead of the par 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What would he need to post to be in with a shout tomorrow? Possibly needs to get to evens?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What would he need to post to be in with a shout tomorrow? Possibly needs to get to evens?

Havent been watching so unsure on conditions, but if he stays at his current score he will have a chance

I’d imagine anything from 2/3 over will have a chance tomorrow but fully depends on the last group still

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Looking good now, another birdie.

I’d imagine anything from 2/3 over will have a chance tomorrow but fully depends on the last group still

I’ve only started watching, seems to be more birdies today, course playing a little easier, Mcilroy may need to be under par to be near the leaders. If scoring is low today, USGA will make it a brute tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Big par putt from Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Keano wrote: »
    Big par putt from Rory

Looks very patient this evening.. such a pity yesterday went so badly as gives him a lot to do with Wolff playing like this

Keano wrote: »
    Big par putt from Rory

Yeah that was huge. I think 3 pars to finish will put him in a very nice position tomorrow.

That was a good chance missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well not quite but I won't write him off until I see the leading score overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good round, half a chance tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

If the leaders could fall back to around -3 at end of play you’d give him a slight chance tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Best chance hes had in a while, cant see wolf repeating this tomorrow...

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Best chance hes had in a while, cant see wolf repeating this tomorrow...

I dunno, at least 5 shots could be too much. So.e round by Wolff

Mushy wrote: »

That’s the worry. Wolff kept going until the end at the PGA but he was too far back. Very easy to see +3 from Wolff and -2 from mcilroy though. Unless Wolff makes this putt on 18!

• Advertisement

No fairway hit on the back 9 and only one dropped shot. Had multiple birdie chances too. Maybe the weight of expectation and nerves get to him but he is certainly is a very nice driving seat.

No fairway hit on the back 9 and only one dropped shot. Had multiple birdie chances too. Maybe the weight of expectation and nerves get to him but he is certainly is a very nice driving seat.

I don’t think you can keep getting away with that though. That bounce on 18 was the luckiest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

tobsey wrote: »
    That’s the worry. Wolff kept going until the end at the PGA but he was too far back. Very easy to see +3 from Wolff and -2 from mcilroy though. Unless Wolff makes this putt on 18!

I think if McIlroy was to shoot -2 there would be someone else ahead of him. Some birdie on 18 by Wolff, no way he gets a bounce like he got on 18 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I think if McIlroy was to shoot -2 there would be someone else ahead of him. Some birdie on 18 by Wolff, no way he gets a bounce like he got on 18 tomorrow

In fairness McIlroy really doesn’t have the short game or mental game to win this.
    All his Majors have come when he’s leading after R3.
    Either with unassailable leads (twice) or his playing partners are weak players (twice).

If he is going to be playing with either Reed or Xander he’ll capitulate early.

Looks like he will be in the 4th last group with Zach Johnson. The only 2 multi major champions in the top 20 together.

That’s a nice partner for him.
    Zach cant win this either
    Less pressure

It’s Wolf’s to lose, if I was gonna gamble, it would be Ousthaizen to win and Rory outside the top 10.

I see all the 'Rory is going to implode tomorrow' hot picks are coming in early.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

Money and fame has gone to his head .add in arrogance and a artificial American twang. To this self centered golfer ..and you end up with a very inconsistent golfer ..and will never become one of the golfers.....end of

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I see all the 'Rory is going to implode tomorrow' hot picks are coming in early.

What’s your hot pick?
    That he’ll contend?

Genuine question

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement