Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Maybe when he’s in his forties he’ll learn to let his golf do his talking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Needs a new caddie. The experiment with Diamond hasn't worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I'm able to play all them shots Rory did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭bren2001

Happy4all wrote: »
    I'm able to play all them shots Rory did.

323 off the tee? I'd like to see you hit that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Needs a new caddy for sure. But will Rory listen, probably not.

To answer the first post on this thread, it is the Indian and not the arrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Needs a new caddie. The experiment with Diamond hasn't worked.

Care to backup that one liner with actual stats? Who was on the bag when he got back to number 1? Who was on the bag when he won the FedEx last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Keano wrote: »
    Care to backup that one liner with actual stats? Who was on the bag when he got back to number 1? Who was on the bag when he won the FedEx last year?

I wonder when a caddy is more important, when you are playing well and sure of your on course decisions, or when you are playing badly and making mistakes? Personally I would think the latter, but that is an opinion rather than a statement of fact.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dav010 wrote: »
    I wonder when a caddy is more important, when you are playing well and sure of your on course decisions, or when you are playing badly and making mistakes? Personally I would think the latter, but that is an opinion rather than a statement of fact.

They cannot prevent their boss hitting it into the trees or leaving a wedge short or a putt on the lip.

Keano wrote: »
    They cannot prevent their boss hitting it into the trees or leaving a wedge short or a putt on the lip.

He can’t take the shot for him, but he is the only person on course in a position of influence and to offer advice/instruction if necessary. There must be a reason why pros have caddies rather than just picking a kid at each tournament to carry their bag. But maybe you are right, it is all the person taking the shot and the caddy is just out for a walk.

I wonder would Harry tell him he is playing like a clown? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

I heard Gary Murphy on a podcast recently sort of hint / speculate whether personal reasons could be one of the reasons for his loss of form. Who knows !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will all come right for Rory when the crowds return.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you are missing long or short, blame the caddy. If you are missing left or right, blame the coach.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If you are missing long or short, blame the caddy. If you are missing left or right, blame the coach.

If you are missing all the above, no one to blame but yourself.

Will all come right for Rory when the crowds return.

What does this mean? He is missing a 2 foot putt or a green with a wedge, because there aren’t people standing around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you are missing all the above, no one to blame but yourself.

It was a joke mate.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    It was a joke mate.

Oh right. Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Maybe Rory should consider flying back to Europe. I think he could be competitive in the European Tour and start winning again. Maybe get Phil Hogan on the bag, he seems very knowledgeable about European golf courses.

Oh right. Good one.

To be fair to Bubbaclaus, I think the sense of sarcasm in his original comment was pretty clear to all

rooney30 wrote: »
    To be fair to Bubbaclaus, I think the sense of sarcasm in his original comment was pretty clear to all

I agree wholeheartedly, it was a good joke.

• Advertisement

rooney30 wrote: »
    I heard Gary Murphy on a podcast recently sort of hint / speculate whether personal reasons could be one of the reasons for his loss of form. Who knows !

Is his tooth at him again ?

I don’t think it’s the caddy, it’s what’s between his ears, keep the mouth shut and stop trying to sound intelligent and focus on golf. He just sounds like a clown, or worse Anthony Joshua with his pre tournament verbal diarrhoea

I agree wholeheartedly, it was a good joke.

Of course you do

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rory just doesnt play well with Tiger. Tries too hard

*I'm a huge fan of Rory's. But the desire for him to constantly play with Tiger. It just doesnt work for him

Rikand wrote: »
    Rory just doesnt play well with Tiger. Tries too hard

*I'm a huge fan of Rory's. But the desire for him to constantly play with Tiger. It just doesnt work for him

Is that a joke/sarcasm as well? Just checking.

He isn’t a star struck kid and Tiger hasn’t been at his best for over a decade, I’d hate to think one of the best players in the world hasn’t the mental strength to compete when playing with Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is that a joke/sarcasm as well? Just checking.

He isn’t a star struck kid and Tiger hasn’t been at his best for over a decade, I’d hate to think one of the best players in the world hasn’t the mental strength to compete when playing with Woods.

I think he tries too hard to play well when he plays with Woods and it doesnt work for him. Like, I'd be happy if someone showed some stats that proved he played well when he is paired with Woods, but for my memory, I cant think of anytime where he has

Rikand wrote: »
    I think he tries too hard to play well when he plays with Woods and it doesnt work for him. Like, I'd be happy if someone showed some stats that proved he played well when he is paired with Woods, but for my memory, I cant think of anytime where he has

I think it is harsh to suggest that he tries to hard just because it’s Woods, he is just playing badly. He has played badly when paired with lots of golfers, not just Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Is his tooth at him again ?

While I'd normally just dismiss a post like this I have heard Robert Lee who I can't stand take the p**s out of Bubba in commentary and I think it was highlighted this week, he has consistently called him a freak and Bubba has spoken openly about mental health issues this week.

You never know what's going on, I certainly would have been dismissive until a couple of years ago but regardless how good your job is, how much you have in the bank, how much we'd all like to be in his position, you never know what's going on with someone.

Remind me wrote: »
    While I'd normally just dismiss a post like this I have heard Robert Lee who I can't stand take the p**s out of Bubba in commentary and I think it was highlighted this week, he has consistently called him a freak and Bubba has spoken openly about mental health issues this week.

You never know what's going on, I certainly would have been dismissive until a couple of years ago but regardless how good your job is, how much you have in the bank, how much we'd all like to be in his position, you never know what's going on with someone.

Personally, I think it is bad form for you and rooney30 to be speculating about personal/mental issues. He is just playing badly, we know nothing about his personal issues/mental health.

He is in a slump, he will get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Personally, I think it is bad form for you and rooney30 to be speculating about personal/mental issues. He is just playing badly, we know nothing about his personal issues/mental health.

He is in a slump, he will get out of it.

Judd Trump lost to Rory MacLeod in the first round of the snooker 2 years ago, and the pundits were saying he had a back injury. MacLeod said in response, I'm 46 years old, we all have aches and pains. Every golfer could have an excuse for underperforming. Look at Camilo Villegas, played the Korn Ferry this weekend a couple of weeks after his young daughter died. There are more people in the world than Rory, and how many excuses do you need. He is not performing, and whatever the reason, I think one of them is too many spoofers in the camp. Thin them out, how many do you need? A caddy, a coach, who else. You don't need sports psychologists or arse lickers. Just needs to play with freedom and start enjoying himself again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement