Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

RoadRunner wrote: »
    My statement was that his game doesn't suit summer links conditions. Rory himself (on his high ball flight not being suited for those conditions leading to poor showing at Royal St. Georges links):

"I'm looking forward to getting back to America and some nice conditions. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.

"I'm not a fan of tournaments when the outcome is predicted so much by the weather."

"My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions I just don't enjoy playing in really. That's the bottom line."

There's others, look them up.

I guess my "suggestion" (if you want to call it that) is that this is part of the reason why he chose not to play in the west of Ireland this summer.

This really is not one of the stranger comments on here. There's often far stupider comments a hell of a lot more daft then this. For example, your diatribe regarding "various obligations" selectively affecting poor links showings, but somehow not affecting the parkland/calm showing is much worse. I've been dragged into a stupid online argument. And have bitten :mad:

Not looking for bites and the stranger comment remark is certainly tongue and cheek.

Your initial comment that Lahinch would just not suit his game and that’s why he is missing it is way off the mark.

Winning 2 majors and being in the top 5 in last 3 Opens proves that.

If the weather is bad it’s bad for everyone. Who enjoys playing in bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Remind me wrote: »
    Not looking for bites and the stranger comment remark is certainly tongue and cheek.

Your initial comment that Lahinch would just not suit his game and that’s why he is missing it is way off the mark.

Winning 2 majors and being in the top 5 in last 3 Opens proves that.

If the weather is bad it’s bad for everyone. Who enjoys playing in bad weather?

I think he only won 1 Open.

I find it surprising that he does not perform better on links, he has played on them in the wind and rain since he was a child, I’m sure he held the record for lowest score in Royal Portrush for a time.

Dav010 wrote: »

I find it surprising that he does not perform better on links, he has played on them in the wind and rain since he was a child, I’m sure he held the record for lowest score in Royal Portrush for a time.

He won US PGA on a links.

He shot 61 in portrush as a 16 year old.

Lowry commented recently that he gets annoyed when commentators say he will perform well in bad weather because of his upbringing. As he said. He hates it, like most.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »

Links doesn’t really suit his ball flight . He just hits it too high

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

rooney30 wrote: »
    I know this may come as a surprise, but he can hit it low as well. The difference is that he loses some of his advantage by doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Reality is we all love links when the weather is good and even if there's a bit of wind once the sun is shining its breathtaking and true golf imo.. but on this side of the world the weather is unpredictable.. I love links golf but if you gave me the choice of playing links in Ireland which I grew up on or playing the top courses in the sun on the PGA! well its a no brainer!

He also has stated that it really would be a dream to win The Open in Portrush for him so I really dont see the big deal.. Yes he could still play in the Irish Open but hes only missing one not the end of the world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I know tickets are sold out at the moment but are they planning to release more?

Are tickets transferable? Perhaps some will come available closer to the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I know tickets are sold out at the moment but are they planning to release more?

Are tickets transferable? Perhaps some will come available closer to the time

Good news Hitch2222, via the link below.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2019/0402/1040160-extra-tickets-to-go-on-sale-for-open-at-portrush/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Can he not just use some low flight balls when he is playing links in the wind , he won 2 West of Ireland's as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory is one of the best ball strikers and relies on it to win tournaments. Links incorporates an element of luck where an unlucky bounce can get you in all sorts of trouble. Also the weather has such a big bearing on the score ie a few years ago on the Thursday the wind picked up in the afternoon and on average whoever teed off in the afternoon was 5 shots worse off that those that teed off in the morning.

Think that is what Rory has referred to as his problem with links courses. He has improved playing in the wind this year and has lowered his ball flight when needed. I still wouldn't rule him out in Portrush if he gets the right conditions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Why is too high a disadvantage?

If it's calm it makes no difference and if anything an advantage. If it's blowing every player will adapt and are good enough to adapt.

Remind me wrote: »
    Why is too high a disadvantage?

If it's calm it makes no difference and if anything an advantage. If it's blowing every player will adapt and are good enough to adapt.
    Yeah, high ball flight can be an advantage on links courses. Less chance of getting an awkward or punishing bounce. In high winds, it obviously can get you into trouble, but it's not an either/or.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Top ten charge is on...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

GreeBo wrote: »
    Top ten charge is on...

Doing his usual when pressure is off and no hope of winning and the stats will say another top ten blah blah blah ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Doing his usual when pressure is off and no hope of winning and the stats will say another top ten blah blah blah ..

Are they giving top 10 for T21 now or what?

fullstop wrote: »
    Are they giving top 10 for T21 now or what?

One thing they are definitely not giving is a green jacket...which is all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

GreeBo wrote: »
    One thing they are definitely not giving is a green jacket...which is all that really matters.

I’m sure you’re delighted :)

fullstop wrote: »
    I’m sure you’re delighted :)

I'm sure you are not alone in thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I hope he's watching this. He should have no excuses after what tiger has been through the last 3 years.

• Advertisement

I hope he's watching this. He should have no excuses after what tiger has been through the last 3 years.
    Yeah. Puts it in perspective alright. A lot to learn from Tiger.

It's holes 1 to 5 that get him. Only 1 birdie on the first hole before today and the only reason he got on today was because it was his 10th hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Tied 21st. Not bad, not what he wanted obviously. Having a good year and 3 majors to go though. Onwards and upwards.

that shot in the third round where after a perfect drive he irons it into the drain for no other reason that pure lack of concentration just summed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Golfhead65 wrote: »

My thoughts too, despite what he says it's definitely in his head.

Harrington made a good point, it might help to win another major 1st, get him back in the groove, may give him the confidence to go and win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Any idea when he plays again? Surely back out before the PGA?

Blud wrote: »
    Any idea when he plays again? Surely back out before the PGA?

He has 2 weeks off now then out again.

He seemed in pretty good form in the post-game interview, lots of positives to take from the final round but as he said himself he made far too many mistakes through the first few days.

On a side note I thought Koepka was the man to beat yesterday turning into the back 9 but made the standard error on the 12th. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win another major this year.

Quail hollow next out. Won here before so a chance to get the Masters out of his mind.

• Advertisement

Rory had three eagles in the US Masters this year.
    He has 15 birdies (at par 3,4,5), well behind Schauffle 25, Woods 22, Harding 21.
    McIlroy had 3 birdies at par 4s, Schauffle had 11.
    Those numbers suggest Rory is a bomber.
    Sorry, but those numbers don't suggest anything. Eagles on the par 5s in Augusta aren't exactly the preserve of the bombers. They're in reach in two for most of the players on tour unless the wind is against them. The big issue is being out of position. It doesn't matter how long you hit it then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement