Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I watched most of the golf at the Olympics. It was decent enough, didn't have the crowd and the course wasn't great, but it wasn't a knockabout either.

I suppose the FedEx cup and the majors will be finished by then? If so then it's less difficult to commit to going over to play.

Just when you think you're getting to know his motivations though he does a massive turnaround! He'll be teeing up in Lahinch next!!*

*for clarity.....not a serious comment!

Edit: He previously stated the Ryder Cup was merely an exhibition then became probably the most enthused player about it. He said he didn't care about golf at the Olympics but I bet he changed his mind after seeing Rose win it, thinking he wouldn't mind having an Olympic gold medal. He's a bit of a flip-flopper on these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

ligerdub wrote: »
    I watched most of the golf at the Olympics. It was decent enough, didn't have the crowd and the course wasn't great, but it wasn't a knockabout either.

I suppose the FedEx cup and the majors will be finished by then? If so then it's less difficult to commit to going over to play.

Just when you think you're getting to know his motivations though he does a massive turnaround! He'll be teeing up in Lahinch next!!*

*for clarity.....not a serious comment!

Edit: He previously stated the Ryder Cup was merely an exhibition then became probably the most enthused player about it. He said he didn't care about golf at the Olympics but I bet he changed his mind after seeing Rose win it, thinking he wouldn't mind having an Olympic gold medal. He's a bit of a flip-flopper on these things.

I would expect Japan will get a far bigger and on course support following for the golf than Brazil did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ya know, he should have stuck to the second excuse he gave last time around. Competing in the Olympics just doesn’t mean that much to elite golfers in comparison to the Majors. I think it was him that said they don’t dream of winning a gold medal or see it as the pinnacle of their career like other Olympians do. Rightly so in my opinion.

I wish one of the big golfers would come out and say they are not interested, it should be confined to amateurs, and each nation can hold qualifying events for a place on the team.

Did anyone actually watch the golf comp last time around?

Same thing was said about tennis when it returned to the Olympics in 1988. Many of the top players of the time gave it a miss for the first few Games but gradually it increased in importance and now an Olympic gold medal is regarded as a huge achievement. No reason why the same should not happen for golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Old diesel wrote: »
    Have they actually decided if Golf is going to be in Olympics long term.
    Yep. Was voted in about ten years ago iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have they actually decided if Golf is going to be in Olympics long term.
    Yep. Was voted in about ten years ago iirc.

I thought that the introduction in 2016 was on a trial basis for 2 Olympics

• Advertisement

I thought that the introduction in 2016 was on a trial basis for 2 Olympics
    Well it's down for Paris 2024, so that can't be correct. But sports are constantly changing at the Olympics, so I don't think any sport (with the possible exception of the ones in the original charter) is completely 'safe'.

After his latest statement I have absolutely no interest in him and would support anyone (I mean anyone) over him.

No doubt if he had actually golfed for Ireland in the Olympics he’d be shocking anyway.

Well past his best. Good bye Ruairi
    Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ya know, he should have stuck to the second excuse he gave last time around. Competing in the Olympics just doesn’t mean that much to elite golfers in comparison to the Majors. I think it was him that said they don’t dream of winning a gold medal or see it as the pinnacle of their career like other Olympians do. Rightly so in my opinion.

I wish one of the big golfers would come out and say they are not interested, it should be confined to amateurs, and each nation can hold qualifying events for a place on the team.

Did anyone actually watch the golf comp last time around?

IIRC Adam Scott went on record saying he wasn't interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,872 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

After his latest statement I have absolutely no interest in him and would support anyone (I mean anyone) over him.

No doubt if he had actually golfed for Ireland in the Olympics he’d be shocking anyway.

Well past his best. Good bye Ruairi

Ah now Beechwoodspark, come off that fence, tell us what you really think?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I’d literally support the man from burkino faso over him after his latest statement. Good riddance. He’s well past his best anyway. We all know that
    He's 30. Nowhere near 'past his best'. How do you expect to be taken seriously with a statement like that? No matter how many other people you try to drag into sharing your opinion by declaration. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Let’s not ignore the elephant in the room. He’s past his best. He will never recover what he once had except for occasional blips

Had he competed for Ireland in the Olympics he would not have come near winning but AT LEAST people would respect him for doing it.
    Repeating it doesn't make it true. He won the Players a few weeks ago against just about the toughest field there is. I suppose that's what you call a 'blip', so you can continue with your ludicrous 'past his best' nonsense.

And it's funny how he gets all the grief for skipping the Olympics and Shane Lowry gets a free pass. As do all the other pro golfers who skipped it as well.

He’s nowhere near his best and will never recover that initial form. You can hold me to it.
    You're giving yourself a sense of importance your opinions don't support. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You're giving yourself a sense of importance your opinions don't support. :D

Prawn let’s agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

With Tiger and Rory indicating they want to play, the golf Olympics just got interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

prawnsambo wrote:
    And it's funny how he gets all the grief for skipping the Olympics and Shane Lowry gets a free pass. As do all the other pro golfers who skipped it as well.

Hi didn't just skip the Olympics, he said he didn't feel Irish. Why are you deliberately ignoring this fact?

It's the only reason people have an issue with this latest statement.

Hi didn't just skip the Olympics, he said he didn't feel Irish. Why are you deliberately ignoring this fact?

It's the only reason people have an issue with this latest statement.
    And why are you deliberately leaving out he fact that he said he didn't feel a connection to either the Irish or British flags? And why is that so hard to understand, given his background?

prawnsambo wrote:
    And why are you deliberately leaving out he fact that said he didn't feel a connection to either the Irish or British flags? And why is that so hard to understand, given his background?

Ive no idea what you're trying to say here. But below is from the man himself. So you'll excuse me if I don't want him representing Ireland at the Olympics.

"What makes it such an awful position to be in is I have grown up my whole life playing for Ireland under the Golfing Union of Ireland umbrella," McIlroy said. "But the fact is, I've always felt more British than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And why are you deliberately leaving out he fact that he said he didn't feel a connection to either the Irish or British flags? And why is that so hard to understand, given his background?

So why the sudden grá for the tri colour I wonder?

Ive no idea what you're trying to say here. But below is from the man himself. So you'll excuse me if I don't want him representing Ireland at the Olympics.

"What makes it such an awful position to be in is I have grown up my whole life playing for Ireland under the Golfing Union of Ireland umbrella," McIlroy said. "But the fact is, I've always felt more British than Irish.
    And he also said this, which explains it better. And you seem to have a problem understanding how difficult this stuff is for people on the other side of the border. Flags have become things that represent soomething other than what they were originally meant to represent.
    "All of a sudden it put me in a position where I had to question who I am? Who am I? Where am I from? Where do my loyalties lie? Who am I going to play for? Who do I not want to piss off the most. "I started to resent it and I do. I resent the Olympics Games because of the position it put me in, that's my feelings towards it, and whether that's right or wrong, it's how I feel."

"I sent Justin Rose a text after he won, I think I still have the message: 'I'm happy for you, mate. I saw how much it means to you. Congratulations. "He said: 'Thanks very much. All the boys here want to know do you feel like you missed out?'
    "I said: 'Justin, if I had been on the podium (listening) to the Irish national anthem as that flag went up, or the British national anthem as that flag went up, I would have felt uncomfortable either way."
    It's not as simple as you make out. And it's very easy for us to sit here in judgment without the experiences of him and his family.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Drop the flag and politics talk. All of you know better than that.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ah, Brexit probably. And Justin Rose flaunting his medal at every opportunity. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Keano wrote: »
    Drop the flag and politics talk. All of you know better than that.
    Is there no discussion of this sudden about-turn allowed at all though in a new thread or anything? Its a new development, and a bit of a weird one based on past statements. Looking forward to reading the British tabloids take on it when the time comes anyway...

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there no discussion of this sudden about-turn allowed at all though in a new thread or anything? Its a new development, and a bit of a weird one based on past statements. Looking forward to reading the British tabloids take on it when the time comes anyway...
    Probably on AH if you're up to it. :D

Edit: It's unlikely to be sudden. It's just that the questions start getting asked about now. He might have made the decision after Hickey was gone - he seemed to have had some run ins with the bould Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

GreeBo wrote: »

Manchip?

Tokyo is a lot more attractive a place to play than Brazil but don’t understand it myself.

prawnsambo wrote:
    And he also said this, which explains it better. And you seem to have a problem understanding how difficult this stuff is for people on the other side of the border. Flags have become things that represent soomething other than what they were originally meant to represent.

prawnsambo wrote:
    It's not as simple as you make out. And it's very easy for us to sit here in judgment without the experiences of him and his family.

I think you're the one making it more difficult to understand than Rory. He was pretty clear and concise in the quote I posted.

I think you're the one making it more difficult to understand than Rory. He was pretty clear and concise in the quote I posted.
    Only if you're a binary thinker.

prawnsambo wrote:
    Only if you're a binary thinker.

Maybe you should do Rorys thinking so.

Maybe you should do Rorys thinking so.
    That makes no sense.

But maybe you should provide quotes that aren't seven years old and predate him declaring for Ireland in 2015.

prawnsambo wrote:
    That makes no sense.

Rory saw it as a binary decision. See my post of his quote.

You'll need to start doing his thinking for him as you're sure it's non binary.

Maybe he's nationality fluid?

• Advertisement

Rory saw it as a binary decision. See my post of his quote.

You'll need to start doing his thinking for him as you're sure it's non binary.

Maybe he's nationality fluid?
    It is a binary decision. It's pretty much the definition of one. But you seem to have a problem understanding the difference between a thought process and a decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement