Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, this is just about it, but i think he definitely wants to play the week before a major if possible. Hence he will make debut in canadian open week before us open. If scottish and irish opens were other way round, we’d probably have been seeing him in clare.

I thought he wanted to play two weeks before a Major and have the week leading in off?
    In any case he said not 3 weeks in a row and that was part of his Lahinch reasoning....

...but now he's playing the two weeks prior to the US Open which will be 3 weeks in a row so contrary to his Lahinch stance??

He's playing the Canadian as he did not play the minimum number of PGA events last year so according to their rules he must add an event this year that he has never played previously or lose his card.

So the Canadian is not out of 100% choice, it's a forced extra tournament that has the least impact on his 2019 schedule....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

slave1 wrote: »
    I thought he wanted to play two weeks before a Major and have the week leading in off?
    In any case he said not 3 weeks in a row and that was part of his Lahinch reasoning....

...but now he's playing the two weeks prior to the US Open which will be 3 weeks in a row so contrary to his Lahinch stance??

He's playing the Canadian as he did not play the minimum number of PGA events last year so according to their rules he must add an event this year that he has never played previously or lose his card.

So the Canadian is not out of 100% choice, it's a forced extra tournament that has the least impact on his 2019 schedule....

Ah right, i didn’t hear that about his reason for playing in canada? I thought he’d have satisfied the tour card requirements already this year - didn’t he play in the farmers for first time? - but I’m no expert on the details so could be wrong.

Is he definitely playing week before canada, memorial i think? As i think all his major wins bar one came after he’d played the week before, i believed that’s how he wanted to plan the year, but can’t recall him specifically saying that himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, Memorial, Canada, US Open back to back.
    You're right on the first time at the Farmers so not sure now on the Canada choice

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Anyone listed to "The Rory & Carson Podcast"?

Debut episode was out on the 8th March. It's about 40 mins of Rory and Carson Daly (MTV fame) chatting about golf and random stuff. It's grand. I'm not sure it'll be in production very long. Although it seems to be aimed more at the American market so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Great first day for Rors. He really is in amazing form right now. Augusta need to get his measurements!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

neddynasty wrote: »
    Anyone listed to "The Rory & Carson Podcast"?

Debut episode was out on the 8th March. It's about 40 mins of Rory and Carson Daly (MTV fame) chatting about golf and random stuff. It's grand. I'm not sure it'll be in production very long. Although it seems to be aimed more at the American market so you never know.

Although I could watch Rory’s swing all day long (nicest swing of the lot) I couldn’t listen to him for more than 30 seconds.

I think he’s incredibly fake with a face I’d never get sick of slapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Although I could watch Rory’s swing all day long (nicest swing of the lot) I couldn’t listen to him for more than 30 seconds.

I think he’s incredibly fake with a face I’d never get sick of slapping.
    Good grief. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Good grief. :eek:

Absolutely, he's probably the most honest golfer there is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Rory is doing a lot of social media work at he moment and seems to be very happy , he is beginning to act like the World number 1 again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Absolutely, he's probably the most honest golfer there is.

I don’t think he quite as honest as he used to be

Seems to be taking the Tiger approach in press conferences this year and not giving much away with what he’s saying. Seems t be a new approach he’s trying this year

• Advertisement

I don’t think he quite as honest as he used to be

Seems to be taking the Tiger approach in press conferences this year and not giving much away with what he’s saying. Seems t be a new approach he’s trying this year
    Perhaps you could point out in this (most recent) press conference where he didn't answer a question fully or honestly?

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1107409292670308354

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wouldn’t have thought that “not giving much away” was in any sense tantamount to dishonesty. Usefully describes probably around 80% of all professional athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Anyone see that Twitter post he had up when announcing his appearance in the Canadian open before it was swiftly taken down and changed. Friend of mine was showing it to me yesterday. About National Championships.
    Pretty funny i imagine he got a pile of grief for it. But id be surprised if he is handling anything to do with Twitter these days. Looks to be handled by a management/sponsorship team.

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    Anyone see that Twitter post he had up when announcing his appearance in the Canadian open before it was swiftly taken down and changed. Friend of mine was showing it to me yesterday. About National Championships.
    Pretty funny i imagine he got a pile of grief for it. But id be surprised if he is handling anything to do with Twitter these days. Looks to be handled by a management/sponsorship team.
    The announcement was a week ago. :confused:

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

The announcement was a week ago. :confused:

Here

Yeah and his initial tweet was removed

Remind me wrote: »
    Yeah and his initial tweet was removed
    Yeah, but he said yesterday. That's what I was querying.

Because he posted this at the time

Yeah, but he said yesterday. That's what I was querying.

He was just shown it yesterday

He was just shown it yesterday
    Sorry, see above. I edited to add his tweet. Which is still there. That's what has me confused.

Sorry, see above. I edited to add his tweet. Which is still there. That's what has me confused.

Read the replies to that tweet and you will see his initial one about National Championships being so special

Read the replies to that tweet and you will see his initial one about National Championships being so special
    Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

For others who may not have Twitter

• Advertisement

Yes sorry was just a screengrab i seen through a whatsapp group. Only seen it yesterday.

Another win today. Beat Justin Harding 3&2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

No doubt that's why he has done so much for the Irish Open over the last few years.

bilston wrote: »
    No doubt that's why he has done so much for the Irish Open over the last few years.
    Yeah, but there are those who think that that means he's forever required to play in it.

Yeah, but there are those who think that that means he's forever required to play in it.

While i dont sign up to that thought myself. I dont really have a problem with anyone who does have that opinion.
    Apparently posters are not allowed to have different opinions around here. Strange one for a discussion board.
    :confused::confused:

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    While i dont sign up to that thought myself. I dont really have a problem with anyone who does have that opinion.
    Apparently posters are not allowed to have different opinions around here. Strange one for a discussion board.
    :confused::confused:
    I don't have a problem with the opinion. I have a problem with people expressing it with absolutely no grounds for doing so. You may feel confused, but that's nothing to the confusion I feel about there somehow being a lifetime requirement to play in the Irish Open because you spent a few years of your life reviving it.

It's a lot like volunteerism in sport here. People stuck in a voluntary capacity because nobody else will step forward, but can't step back because they must continue for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don't have a problem with the opinion. I have a problem with people expressing it with absolutely no grounds for doing so. You may feel confused, but that's nothing to the confusion I feel about there somehow being a lifetime requirement to play in the Irish Open because you spent a few years of your life reviving it.

It's a lot like volunteerism in sport here. People stuck in a voluntary capacity because nobody else will step forward, but can't step back because they must continue for life.

Most discussions involve an exchange of opinions/views which are subjective, outside of a courtroom I can’t think of another discourse where there is an absolute requirement that the opinions be based on grounds/fact.

On a superficial level this attitude has stymied discussion here to those who only post positive views of Mcilroy, but under that, some of the posts are Rupert Pupkin- esque, creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Tiger & Rory was a good watch. Conditions as Tiger said post game were quite difficult.

Tiger just that bit more clutch with the putter on the day.

I think Rory has every right not to play and feel completely comfortable about that decision. It is very disappointing because although he has done a fantastic job rejuvenating a flailing competition it feels there is still a little work to do to make it a staple on the calender in the lead up to the British Open.
    My only fear is that the competition has reached its apex and will slowly diminish once again.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Most discussions involve an exchange of opinions/views which are subjective, outside of a courtroom I can’t think of another discourse where there is an absolute requirement that the opinions be based on grounds/fact.

On a superficial level this attitude has stymied discussion here to those who only post positive views of Mcilroy, but under that, some of the posts are Rupert Pupkin- esque, creepy.

I've been a proponent on the thread of asking people for evidence and dismissing those who don't provide it. I somewhat agree that can stifle conversation to a degree.

However I think comments like those bolded above are probably more at fault as they are quite incendiary. This in turn leads to conversations going off track.
    IMO that is more detrimental to reasonable discourse than dismissing a non-factual view.

That's not particularly directed at you or this thread but rather an observation that seems ubiquitous across discussion forums. No evidence though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

How many players decided not to play in their national championship.Very very few I would imagine and to be honest there should be an expectation that every European player plays in their national open. If players from Ireland can't be bothered turning up why the **** would any other players who aren't Irish bother, what he's done really hits the prestige of the tournament.

The fact that once again McIlroy has contradicting something he's said earlier makes him look like a bit of a dope.He's spent his entire career coming out with statements and then backtracking from them soon after, it becomes quite tedious after a while.

He said he was going to play the week before every major yet he is not playing next week.

If he really believed in the idea that national championships are so special (as his tweet indicated) why does he not play in his own one.

Lots of allowances were made for him by having the tournament in the north a disproportionate number of times in the last few years and he's decided to **** off from the tournament when it didn't suit him.

All of the above are perfectly legitimate reasons why some people aren't as fond of him as his fans think they ought to be.

• Advertisement

No one man is bigger than the tournament, let's accept Rory won't be part of the equation this year & support those who are competing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement