Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How many players decided not to play in their national championship.

I guess an equally valid question is "How many players have a legitimate chance of winning a major two weeks after their national open?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

GreeBo wrote: »
    I guess an equally valid question is "How many players have a legitimate chance of winning a major the week before their national open?"

The Irish open is 2 weeks before the open and 2 weeks after the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The Irish open is 2 weeks before the open and 2 weeks after the US Open.

Yeah, I was going to write it the other way and ended up doing a mix of both that made no sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I agree with some of what you say Frankie but not all.

I think you're 100% correct in regards to the prestige of the tournament taking a hit. It certainly reduces it's chances of being a must play in the lead up to the British.
    Furthermore I think players should want to play their home tournament. It's a great chance for Rory to leave a very tangible legacy.

That said, I don't quite buy the disproportionate hosting in Northern venues. I could get on board with that if they weren't fantastic courses and better courses were being overlooked to appease him. I don't think that's the case.

The back tracking on comments etc is a necessary evil given that he speaks very candidly for an athlete of his profile. I can understand how it can infuriate people but I'd prefer that to s scripted athlete any day.
    The same goes for changing his mind about when he'll play one week before or whatever else. He has aspiration beyond those tournaments, it's all about majors so whatever he feels is best in the lead up seems fine to me.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I agree with some of what you say Frankie but not all.

I think you're 100% correct in regards to the prestige of the tournament taking a hit. It certainly reduces it's chances of being a must play in the lead up to the British.
    Furthermore I think players should want to play their home tournament. It's a great chance for Rory to leave a very tangible legacy.

That said, I don't quite buy the disproportionate hosting in Northern venues. I could get on board with that if they weren't fantastic courses and better courses were being overlooked to appease him. I don't think that's the case.

The back tracking on comments etc is a necessary evil given that he speaks very candidly for an athlete of his profile. I can understand how it can infuriate people but I'd prefer that to s scripted athlete any day.
    The same goes for changing his mind about when he'll play one week before or whatever else. He has aspiration beyond those tournaments, it's all about majors so whatever he feels is best in the lead up seems fine to me.

Backtracking on his comments constantly in my opinion makes him look foolish, either he has the balls to stand by what he said or he doesn't. If you want to backtrack from an offensive comment fair enough but all the stuff he's backtracked from hasn't been offensive just stuff some people don't agree with so it just makes him look foolish to appear to be very candid and then decide to not follow through with his comments.He backtracks constantly meaning you really can't believe anything that he says.

75% of the islands population live in Ireland about 25% live in the North.
    That is what should decide the split between the 2 entities on the island, not the once every 2 years that had essentially been agreed to appease McIlroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Whilst I don’t know if you could consider Lough Erne a “better course” than Port Stewart, anyone involved with Lough Erne might disagree with you about appeasing Mcilroy. Mcilroy was the touring professional there when it was owned by a family friend but it is thought he may have played a role in having the 2017 venue changed. There was an issue between him and the new owners over a house he claimed was given to him by Jim Treacy and in which his parents used to live.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/golf/irish-open/rory-mcilroy-may-have-had-role-in-switch-of-open-venue-34619087.html

And before I get asked about fact, I play there many times every year, a family member is a club member and involved in the committees running the club.

Backtracking on his comments constantly in my opinion makes him look foolish, either he has the balls to stand by what he said or he doesn't. If you want to backtrack from an offensive comment fair enough but all the stuff he's backtracked from hasn't been offensive just stuff some people don't agree with so it just makes him look foolish to appear to be very candid and then decide to not follow through with his comments.He backtracks constantly meaning you really can't believe anything that he says.

75% of the islands population live in Ireland about 25% live in the North.
    That is what should decide the split between the 2 entities on the island, not the once every 2 years that had essentially been agreed to appease McIlroy.

I'd disagee thst backtracking on comments makes him look foolish. He certainly has looked foolish the Olympics issue being an example but I don't think he looks foolish that often.

Also if the comment is offensive he shouldn't be forced to stand by it but if it's benign he should? That hardly makes sense.

Population imo shouldn't be the determining factor, it should be the quality of the courses. Is it an explicitly stated agreement regarding the split?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Whilst I don’t know if you could consider Lough Erne a “better course” than Port Stewart, anyone involved with Lough Erne might disagree with you about appeasing Mcilroy. Mcilroy was the touring professional there when it was owned by a family friend but it is thought he may have played a role in having the 2017 venue changed. There was an issue between him and the new owners over a house he claimed was given to him by Jim Treacy and in which his parents used to live.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/golf/irish-open/rory-mcilroy-may-have-had-role-in-switch-of-open-venue-34619087.html

And before I get asked about fact, I play there many times every year, a family member is a club member and involved in the committees running the club.

I'd be happy to take you on your word and it certainly lends credence to his influence. That's clearly personal and if he did that it's infantile for sure.

That said it doesn't really mean that McIlroy wants more events in NI, he's been involved in 8-10 events? 4 in NI, that doesn't seem like much of anything to me.

I'd disagee thst backtracking on comments makes him look foolish. He certainly has looked foolish the Olympics issue being an example but I don't think he looks foolish that often.

Also if the comment is offensive he shouldn't be forced to stand by it but if it's benign he should? That hardly makes sense.

Population imo shouldn't be the determining factor, it should be the quality of the courses. Is it an explicitly stated agreement regarding the split?

What I mean is there is sense to backtracking from an offensive comment and is a sensible thing to do at time, it just looks foolish to keep contradicting yourself all the time like he has done throughout his career, I genuinely don't believe a word he says in public anymore.

What I mean is there is sense to backtracking from an offensive comment and is a sensible thing to do at time, it just looks foolish to keep contradicting yourself all the time like he has done throughout his career, I genuinely don't believe a word he says in public anymore.

That's fair enough. I would just prefer less reliability for what at least seems like more sincerity in his comments that most at his level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hitch2222 wrote:
    That's fair enough. I would just prefer less reliability for what at least seems like more sincerity in his comments that most at his level.

Personally I think Mcilroy comes a cross extremely fake in his interviews. I'm in the minority though going by this thread.

Im not sure if its just my general disliking of him but I think the fact he constantly contradicts himself shows he mostly talks $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

I doubt players who will be in contention at the Open will be looking to what rory is doing with regard to their own schedule.

Remind me wrote: »
    I doubt players who will be in contention at the Open will be looking to what rory is doing with regard to their own schedule.

True enough but the field has definitely got stronger since he got on board.
    Personally I think it should be a links tournament like the British Open and it would draw players in the lead up.

Personally I think it should be a links tournament like the British Open and it would draw players in the lead up.

Ah field definitely stronger but mainly due to the prize money. I’m sure that came due to Rory’s support.

It is links and Rory playing Scotland on a parkland is what makes it such a strange decision.

I’d be very much each to their own decision, they know what’s best for themselves but the logical choice whether it’s your national open or not should be Lahinch, the fact it is your national open should just make it a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pro players don't like playing links golf think that's been proven by the lack of Americans that come over. They're happy enough to stay in the sunshine and spend a week max 2 weeks over here. It's been said that 3 weeks of links golf in the wind and rain can have a negative impact on their game. I'd imagine just as many big names would come here if they're playing our top parkland courses.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think people need to get over the fact that he's not playing the Irish open, I have a feeling it'll be used as a stick to beat him with for quite a while however.

NDWC wrote: »
    I think people need to get over the fact that he's not playing the Irish open, I have a feeling it'll be used as a stick to beat him with for quite a while however.

Loyalty goes both ways though so there is nothing wrong with fans in ireland holding it against him and not being as fulsome in their support of him (not that it will make any difference to McIlroy).I was able to get over Saipan but I never felt the same about Roy Keane after Saipan as I did before it while still recognising he was an all time great player.

Loyalty goes both ways though so there is nothing wrong with fans in ireland holding it against him and not being as fulsome in their support of him (not that it will make any difference to McIlroy).I was able to get over Saipan but I never felt the same about Roy Keane after Saipan as I did before it while still recognising he was an all time great player.

He was basically responsible for saving the Irish Open when it couldn't find a sponsor though. Surely that's the biggest show of loyalty imaginable?

He was basically responsible for saving the Irish Open when it couldn't find a sponsor though. Surely that's the biggest show of loyalty imaginable?

But he's now undermined some of that by not turning up this year.It is not that much to expect players to play in their home tournament, it should be the bare minimum expected from every european player.

But he's now undermined some of that by not turning up this year.It is not that much to expect players to play in their home tournament, it should be the bare minimum expected from every european player.

I'm willing to forgive him for this year due to the aforementioned. However if he continues to skip it I agree that he'll have undermined it somewhat.

I can never dislike him though as I go to the Irish open every year and would've been gutted to see it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm willing to forgive him for this year due to the aforementioned. However if he continues to skip it I agree that he'll have undermined it somewhat.

I can never dislike him though as I go to the Irish open every year and would've been gutted to see it go.
    It's part of the Rolex series now, so it's carrying a big purse and will continue to attract golfers as long as that continues. I'd be disappointed if he didn't turn up to it again, but I doubt that will be the case. Where it is in the calendar can be a positive or a negative depending on the approach of the top pros. It's never going to take the spot the Scottish Open has, so it's always a difficult balance in trying to attract the big US names who may want to have a run of European golf leading up to The Open or just take a two week run.

Incidentally, he's moved up to number three in the world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Summer links conditions simply don't suit his game

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Summer links conditions simply don't suit his game

2 of his major wins would say differently

2 of his major wins would say differently

Stat's are great, but 2011 was a long time ago. Links is not a ball-striking marathon, more a game of coy for the thinker. Missing the cut @lahinch would be bad for him. Rory knows what his weaknesses are.

Stat's are great, but 2011 was a long time ago. Links is not a ball-striking marathon, more a game of coy for the thinker. Missing the cut @lahinch would be bad for him. Rory knows what his weaknesses are.

You really saying he is by-passing Lahinch because he is afraid of a missed cut?

He has been top 5 in the last 3 Open's

You really saying he is by-passing Lahinch because he is afraid of a missed cut?

He likely feels the course/conditions don't suit his game.
    How did he do in Ballyliffin 2018 (links), Portstewart 2017 (links), The K Club 2016, R.C.D 2015 (links)

I also don't see phil mickleson running back to le golf national or similar courses where his game doesn't suit (Phil has still won on courses that don't suit his game in the past however)

He likely feels the course/conditions don't suit his game.
    How did he do in Ballyliffin 2018 (links), Portstewart 2017 (links), The K Club 2016, R.C.D 2015 (links)

I also don't see phil mickleson running back to le golf national or similar courses where his game doesn't suit (Phil has still won on courses that don't suit his game in the past however)

You know he had his weight behind the event and was being dragged left, right and centre with various obligations?

Suggesting he is missing the Irish Open because it is on links and might dent his confidence if he missed a cut is one of the stranger comments on here and that's saying something.

Mickleson has said he will no longer play courses that don't suit him, but has he done it yet? No and has no relevance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

It's part of the Rolex series now, so it's carrying a big purse and will continue to attract golfers as long as that continues.

But It’s not a big purse and it doesn’t attract golfers - certainly nobody really who wouldn’t be playing it anyway. It doesn’t even attract the top European players. The terrible field it attracted last year showed that.

McGinley said on off the ball last week when he was answering questions on attracting players that it’s now an average purse at best. You need to either be an event which the players take seriously (4 majors, 4 WGCs, about 5 regular PGA tour events + fed ex in this bracket etc) or pay massive appearance fees or have a massive purse. The Irish open is in neither bracket.

Suggesting he is missing the Irish Open because it is on links and might dent his confidence if he missed a cut is one of the stranger comments on here

My statement was that his game doesn't suit summer links conditions. Rory himself (on his high ball flight not being suited for those conditions leading to poor showing at Royal St. Georges links):

"I'm looking forward to getting back to America and some nice conditions. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.

"I'm not a fan of tournaments when the outcome is predicted so much by the weather."

"My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions I just don't enjoy playing in really. That's the bottom line."

There's others, look them up.

I guess my "suggestion" (if you want to call it that) is that this is part of the reason why he chose not to play in the west of Ireland this summer.

This really is not one of the stranger comments on here. There's often far stupider comments a hell of a lot more daft then this. For example, your diatribe regarding "various obligations" selectively affecting poor links showings, but somehow not affecting the parkland/calm showing is much worse. I've been dragged into a stupid online argument. And have bitten :mad:

• Advertisement

My statement was that his game doesn't suit summer links conditions. Rory himself (on his high ball flight not being suited for those conditions leading to poor showing at Royal St. Georges links):

"I'm looking forward to getting back to America and some nice conditions. I'd rather play when it's 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.

"I'm not a fan of tournaments when the outcome is predicted so much by the weather."

"My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions I just don't enjoy playing in really. That's the bottom line."

There's others, look them up.

I guess my "suggestion" (if you want to call it that) is that this is part of the reason why he chose not to play in the west of Ireland this summer.

This really is not one of the stranger comments on here. There's often far stupider comments a hell of a lot more daft then this. For example, your diatribe regarding "various obligations" selectively affecting poor links showings, but somehow not affecting the parkland/calm showing is much worse. I've been dragged into a stupid online argument. And have bitten :mad:

I think it's a fair point especially in light of the quotes.

Similar sentiment was echoed earlier by another poster referring to my comment around making the Irish Open a links event.

I'd be happy to take it as something that may play a part in his decision. Practice in the sunshine > Links in Ireland in the lead up to a major.
    Perhaps the unpredictability of one links course is not viewed by pros as good prep for another links course.
    Intuitively that's not what I would have said but on reflection there certainly seems to have some merit to me.

I assume the bolded is attempted irony ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement