Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

NIMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps.

I'll admit I'm not a big golf fan, and my only regular viewing of the sport would be the majors, but he does seem to collapse when often in a great position.

Perhaps it's just the nature of the sport, or else I'm being too harsh on him.

Didn't realise he was the most consistent player around.

Obviously he's not Tiger but who is?

I don't have the numbers so happy to be corrected but I suspect he doesn't fare any worse than any other Top X player when trailing or leading by a similar amount of shots.
    It's simply a case that his failures are more salient as he puts himself in a realistic position to win a higher proportion of the time than most especially this year.

Certainly not even remotely flawless but he's having an excellent season by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Haha.... Rory may a well call it a day in the PGA and come back to the European tour, at least he'd have a chance at top 5, well maybe not!

He's finished....

galwayllm wrote: »
    Haha.... Rory may a well call it a day in the PGA and come back to the European tour, at least he'd have a chance at top 5, well maybe not!

He's finished....
    Lol 6 Top 5's in 2019, I assume the whole PGA tour must be migrating to Europe based on that "logic"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

He's finished....

Yes because we all know that T8 is where someone who is "finished" is likely to finish in a PGA Tour event

We also know that no 4 in the world rankings is also where we expect someone who is "finished" to be.

Makes total sense.

So yes you are right - he is finished - at Number 4 in the rankings and finishing T8 in his latest event.

There is no hope for him.

*disclaimer the above post may contain sarcasim

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Old diesel wrote:

And misspellings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Old diesel wrote: »
    Yes because we all know that T8 is where someone who is "finished" is likely to finish in a PGA Tour event

We also know that no 4 in the world rankings is also where we expect someone who is "finished" to be.

Makes total sense.

So yes you are right - he is finished - at Number 4 in the rankings and finishing T8 in his latest event.

There is no hope for him.

The post hardly needed responding to. Rory is far from finished but from talk of him challenging the majors won by Tiger and Nicklaus he has failed to live up to expectations in that regard. He's a victim of his early success and is now measured by that yardstick. No matter how well he plays unless he wins majors he won't be as good as 2013/2014.

Now many of those expections may have been unrealistic but Rory himself was partly responsible. He hasn't won a major for 5 years and despite being favourite for a lot of them hasn't really been right up there that often.

There are of course plenty of reasons, a high profile relationship and break up, changing clubs, agent, the olympics and a very high level of competition. You only have to look at the final round of the masters to see a lot of very good golfers with very complete games.

He's good at playing excellent golf consistently but right now doesn't quite have enough to get himself to the very top where he is winning or competing for majors consistently.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    There are of course plenty of reasons, a high profile relationship and break up, changing clubs, agent, the olympics and a very high level of competition. You only have to look at the final round of the masters to see a lot of very good golfers with very complete games.

He's good at playing excellent golf consistently but right now doesn't quite have enough to get himself to the very top where he is winning or competing for majors consistently.

It also happens to be an incredibly variance sport.

That is one of primary principles of DeChambeaus approach, realising that there are so many factors that can influence success both in & out of your control.
    Mitigating the risk factors associated with his own success is a large part of the approach, one I largely agree with.

Speith was incredibly +EV especially on his putting for a number of years, his putting seems to have become worse, probably simply regression to the mean.
    Rory has been exceptionally good this year, his masters was below expectation, I tend to attribute a far higher proportion of that to variance and expect some regression to the mean throughout the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Good to see the trolls back, been a bit quiet since the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

He'll have his 5th major come the end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fullstop wrote: »
    Good to see the trolls back, been a bit quiet since the players.

Any criticism is considered trolling? Only positive views allowed eh, pretty one sided discussion then, more like a fan club with rules.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Any criticism is considered trolling? Only positive views allowed eh, pretty one sided discussion then, more like a fan club with rules.

Criticism is fine imo but clearly this:

He's finished....

is not criticism, it's simply drivel. There's not even a criticism within the comment is there? It simply looks like like a non-sensical illogical comment used to incite argument.

Perhaps that passes as a criticism for you but I suspect it doesn't for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Any criticism is considered trolling? Only positive views allowed eh, pretty one sided discussion then, more like a fan club with rules.[/quote

Wild statements to the effect that he is finished at this level can be considered trolling to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

Be very interesting to see how many majors he will end up with.

After 2014 I think 8 or 9 was probably the very minimum people expected him to get whereas I think if he gets past Nick Faldo's record for a European is probably a realistic goal now but catching Tiger and Jack (which is what he looked to be capable of) will be well beyond him now.

Be very interesting to see how many majors he will end up with.

After 2014 I think 8 or 9 was probably the very minimum people expected him to get whereas I think if he gets past Nick Faldo's record for a European is probably a realistic goal now but catching Tiger and Jack (which is what he looked to be capable of) will be well beyond him now.

I think 7 or maybe 8 is a realistic possibility but 15 to 18 no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I don’t think Rory has had the motivation to aim for a Nicklaus record or tigers records . He just wants to win anything he hasn’t yet . The masters the only left. Ya wonder will he bother playing into his 40s 50s

He is in 93rd place in average scoring on final day. That is a pretty poor stat for one of the best players in the world, it trumps all the fairways hit/shots gained etc stats, as it is purely about the score on the card at the end of the round.

He is playing fantastic golf, best on tour at the moment, but his final day performance is costing him repeatedly.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.118.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He is in 93rd place in average scoring on final day. That is a pretty poor stat for one of the best players in the world, it trumps all the fairways hit/shots gained etc stats, as it is purely about the score on the card at the end of the round.

He is playing fantastic golf, best on tour at the moment, but his final day performance is costing him repeatedly.

Yep, you're right, especially when you consider where he is on the list for rounds 1-3 (I'd imagine).

This is a perfect example of criticism vs trolling.

That seems like a completely fair critique of McIlroy, one I suspect most would be happy to accept as something that needs to be addressed.
    I imagine people no matter ones view on McIlroy they would welcome this type of criticism as it seems justifiable and tangible.

IMO I think McIlroys gung go style when trailing likely leads to situations where he doesn't play the higher percentage shots when trailing by an amount others wouldn't feel they claw back.
    I'd be curious on his average scoring when leading and/or trailing by a very small number of shots in the final round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Russman

That's it exactly.
    It looks to me like on day 4 he consistently hits it to 20 feet ish early on and doesn't make the putts - not necessarily hitting bad putts, but you can't expect to hole from that distance regularly. I don't really know (and haven't bothered to check) whether he hits it closer on days 1-3, or putts a little better on days 1-3. I'd love to see his proximity to the hole numbers from days 1-3 Vs day 4.

In my complete non-expert/hurler on the ditch view, I reckon he tries to hit fades an awful lot, and its just not a consistently reliable shape for him.

I'd still rather watch him play than anyone else though !

Russman wrote: »
    That's it exactly.
    It looks to me like on day 4 he consistently hits it to 20 feet ish early on and doesn't make the putts - not necessarily hitting bad putts, but you can't expect to hole from that distance regularly. I don't really know (and haven't bothered to check) whether he hits it closer on days 1-3, or putts a little better on days 1-3. I'd love to see his proximity to the hole numbers from days 1-3 Vs day 4.

In my complete non-expert/hurler on the ditch view, I reckon he tries to hit fades an awful lot, and its just not a consistently reliable shape for him.

I'd still rather watch him play than anyone else though !

I just had a quick look there.

And its only a sample size of 6 rounds or so but Rory on the final day

Is ranked 1st OTT, 110th on approach, 84th in puttting

days 1-3 he is

3rd OTT, 10th on approach, 60th in putting

EDIT

Apologies the above is his day1 and day 3 scoring combined I somehow didn't click the day 2 button

SO his actual day 1 - 3 scoring is

1st OTT, 3rd on approach, 43 putting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Russman

I just had a quick look there.

And its only a sample size of 6 rounds or so but Rory on the final day

Is ranked 1st OTT, 110th on approach, 84th in puttting

days 1-3 he is

3rd OTT, 10th on approach, 60th in putting

Very interesting, granted a small sample. I wonder is it being too "patient" and playing for the middle of the greens, or too aggressive and short siding himself.

Very interesting, granted a small sample. I wonder is it being too "patient" and playing for the middle of the greens, or too aggressive and short siding himself.

Having watched a decent bit of him this year but far from every shot he has hit I'd have to guess its being too aggressive.

For a start he would be playing to win or shoot a low score when he plays not to cash a cheque as he has plenty of money.

Also if he is not overly confident in his putting he might be feel he needs to get everything close to make up for that.

And quite possibly (but of course we don't know) some mental issues with Sundays, as given the reports and stuff he has said he is working on different aspects of his mental game as well [as are most top golfers I'd imagine]

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Too aggressive/impatient I would say. Seems like if he's 3 or more shots behind at the start of R4 then he's trying to birdie every hole.

I just listened to the 'No Laying Up' podcast with Max Homa. Obviously his first time winning and being in contention but he was describing how exciting it was and the buzz he got from being at the business end of R4. It got me thinking maybe this is what McIlroy is missing? Maybe he's so used to being around the top of the leader board he doesn't get that buzz anymore from the regular tour events?

neddynasty wrote: »
    I just listened to the 'No Laying Up' podcast with Max Homa.

Sorry for going off topic but did they do a podcast on the Ireland trip they took lately?

Apologies the above is his day1 and day 3 scoring combined I somehow didn't click the day 2 button

SO his actual day 1 - 3 scoring is

1st OTT, 3rd on approach, 43 putting

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Sorry for going off topic but did they do a podcast on the Ireland trip they took lately?

I haven't seen or heard it yet. I've only listened to 3 of them. The one released today with Max Homa. The one after Tiger won The Masters and the one from March with Steve Elkington (a must listen).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like from his PGA press conference that he will more than likely be playing for Ireland at the 2020 olympics. Sounded pretty committed to it but I suppose we have been here before.

Greg Allen has it on his Twitter also

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Hopefully he is not digging a hole for himself

Remind me wrote: »
    Hopefully he is not digging a hole for himself

Ya know, he should have stuck to the second excuse he gave last time around. Competing in the Olympics just doesn’t mean that much to elite golfers in comparison to the Majors. I think it was him that said they don’t dream of winning a gold medal or see it as the pinnacle of their career like other Olympians do. Rightly so in my opinion.

I wish one of the big golfers would come out and say they are not interested, it should be confined to amateurs, and each nation can hold qualifying events for a place on the team.

Did anyone actually watch the golf comp last time around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Have they actually decided if Golf is going to be in Olympics long term.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement