Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

Just seen a reading list of Rory's self-improvement books, no wonder he won.
    If only had known of this before backing Fleetwood, ah well.

Link please

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

While I disagree with a bit of what greebo is saying Rorys driving on scoring holes over the weekend was below his best, now its only a sample size of 10 holes mianly, so its hard to draw conclusions and he still made plenty of birdies on them besides that.

I think there may be an element of this across the bickering here: some people judge his performance relative to the field and some judge him against Purple Patch Rory.

Being good enough to win like he did may not be good enough to win in the white hot heat of a Major.

On the flip side, being able to beat what's in front of you is precisely what you need to do in a Major.

That doesn't sum up everyone but they're both valid viewpoints and there seems to be a thread of either running through the arguments seemingly pro and anti Rory these past few days but the reality is they're not a million miles apart.

Take care of yourselves.....aaaaaaand each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Link please

David and Goliath (Malcolm Gladwell) The probability of improbable events, with famous examples of underdog triumphs.

The Chimp Paradox (Steve Peters) How to act in your best interests and take control of your emotions.

Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less (Greg McKeown) How to be disciplined in decision-making.

Tipping Point (Malcolm Gladwell) How little things make a big difference.

Awaken the Giant Within (Tony Robbins) How to take control of mental, emotional, physical and financial destiny.

The 7 habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen Covey) How to adopt the correct approach in achieving one’s goals.

I've read those highlighted, another of Gladwells to add for the sports enthusiast is Outliers which is one of his most well known.

He has an excellent podcast, it's history but topics are quite varied and it has a twist, easily discernible from the title
    Not remotely conspiracy just an alternative vantage point

http://revisionisthistory.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    David and Goliath (Malcolm Gladwell) The probability of improbable events, with famous examples of underdog triumphs.

The Chimp Paradox (Steve Peters) How to act in your best interests and take control of your emotions.

Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less (Greg McKeown) How to be disciplined in decision-making.

Tipping Point (Malcolm Gladwell) How little things make a big difference.

Awaken the Giant Within (Tony Robbins) How to take control of mental, emotional, physical and financial destiny.

The 7 habits of Highly Effective People (Stephen Covey) How to adopt the correct approach in achieving one’s goals.

I've read those highlighted, another of Gladwells to add for the sports enthusiast is Outliers which is one of his most well known.

He has an excellent podcast, it's history but topics are quite varied and it has a twist, easily discernible from the title
    Not remotely conspiracy just an alternative vantage point

http://revisionisthistory.com

I'd say he just sticks them covers on his books to look smart at the fancy hotels he is at. :P

The real books underneath.

The DA Vinci Code
    50 shades of grey
    PS I love You
    and
    Tiger Woods Jeff Benedict

:P

Hopefully he is not the new Paddy :D

I'd say he just sticks them covers on his books to look smart at the fancy hotels he is at. :P

The DA Vinci Code
    50 shades of grey
    PS I love You
    and

Not to sound any way sanctimonious but the ones I read of those are very digestible reading.
    Gladwell especially clear and concise stuff.

You'd recognise Tony Robbins, he was the big guy who hypnotized Hal in Shallow Hal.
    Americans eat up that evangelical self help style stuff, he's only worth approx 500m though :confused:

• Advertisement

Not to sound any way sanctimonious but the ones I read of those are very digestible reading.
    Gladwell especially clear and concise stuff.

You'd recognise Tony Robbins, he was the big guy who hypnotized Hal in Shallow Hal.
    Americans eat up that evangelical self help style stuff, he's only worth approx 500m though :confused:

I've read the Gladwell stuff - he is a great writer.

But is there a twisted paradox , irony or whatever you want to put it ?

That you are going to a ridiculously complex level of telling Rory something he knows. It is fairly simple - just be yourself, work a bit harder.

A few years ago , he was going around the course without a care in the world winning the US open by 8 shots and all 4 rounds in the 60s.

Like, all that self help stuff is great - but all the sports stars that were mentioned earlier - Bolt, likes Ronnie in Snooker - messi etc. It is completely natural , with little or no mental thoughts at all. It is totally vacuous and instinctive.

Great to see him doing something - But I wouldn't be convinced a couple of books have done it.

It is 90% hard graft and getting back into it, it is motivation (call that a hunch). He realised he was not that good anymore and others were way better - that is motivation for you.

Rottella has made an industry out of telling people to get out of their own way and just play naturally.

Paddy - made a total mess of himself and read every book going. There can be paralysis by analysis.

Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I've read the Gladwell stuff - he is a great writer.

But is there a twisted paradox , irony or whatever you want to put it ?

That you are going to a ridiculously complex level of telling Rory something he knows. It is fairly simple - just be yourself, work a bit harder.

A few years ago , he was going around the course without a care in the world winning the US open by 8 shots and all 4 rounds in the 60s.

Like, all that self help stuff is great - but all the sports stars that were mentioned earlier - Bolt, likes Ronnie in Snooker - messi etc. It is completely natural , with little or no mental thoughts at all. It is totally vacuous and instinctive.

Great to see him doing something - But I wouldn't be convinced a couple of books have done it.

It is 90% hard graft and getting back into it, it is motivation (call that a hunch). He realised he was not that good anymore and others were way better - that is motivation for you.

Rottella has made an industry out of telling people to get out of their own way and just play naturally.

Paddy - made a total mess of himself and read every book going. There can be paralysis by analysis.

Interesting stuff.

I never saw rory as a guy going in for that stuff but fair play to him I say, a sign of maturity to try latch onto anything that’s going to improve you. Mentioning ronnie osullivan, he may be a natural talent but it has been through working with Steve Peters that his performances went up a level around 5-6 years ago.

Mentioning ronnie osullivan, he may be a natural talent but it has been through working with Steve Peters that his performances went up a level around 5-6 years ago.

If anyone needed someone to get them on the straight and narrow, mentally, it was Ronnie.

I never saw rory as a guy going in for that stuff but fair play to him I say, a sign of maturity to try latch onto anything that’s going to improve you. Mentioning ronnie osullivan, he may be a natural talent but it has been through working with Steve Peters that his performances went up a level around 5-6 years ago.

Yes - I do remember that

What is the basic principle of peters work

is it also about total suppression of any thoughts ?

Yes - I do remember that

What is the basic principle of peters work

is it also about total suppression of any thoughts ?

Yeah it’s along those lines alright, controlling your inner chimp or something like that - not an expert on peters actual modus.

• Advertisement

Yeah it’s along those lines alright, controlling your inner chimp or something like that - not an expert on peters actual modus.

I mean you can understand Rory going - what a load of balls for a few years.
    Particularly when Padraig was talking about it so much.

If anyone needed someone to get them on the straight and narrow, mentally, it was Ronnie.

Oh definitely, as big a mental basket case as is out there. Only been a partial success, mind, because ronnie hasn’t been at the races for the world title for a few years now because he can’t hack the mental demands of it anymore. However, we digress...

I mean you can understand Rory going - what a load of balls for a few years.
    Particularly when Padraig was talking about it so much.

Someone posted a video of rory on the putting green a while back which involved him telling himself how great a putter he was as he stood over the putt. Faxon was with him so I guess it came from him. It’s a very old trick, I’ve played with guys myself who do that sort of thing. I never saw him in that vein at all but if it’s working then then go for it.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't—you're right."

Henry Ford

Someone posted a video of rory on the putting green a while back which involved him telling himself how great a putter he was as he stood over the putt. Faxon was with him so I guess it came from him. It’s a very old trick, I’ve played with guys myself who do that sort of thing. I never saw him in that vein at all but if it’s working then then go for it.

It's reminds me of a scenario whereby an Army General attempts to justify his rationale for negative reinforcement as means of teaching cadets. "They always get better after I tell them off and worse when I praise them".

The psychologist in turn studues the use of positive vs negative reinforcement concluding that continued use of positive leads to better results.
    Turns out the results observed by the General post feedback resulted in better performance when he shouted and worse when he praised because cadets simply regressed to the mean.
    They were only praised when they performed above average and only slated when they performed below average.
    It's all interesting stuff, whatever he feels elevates the game is worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yeah something along the line of suppressing your chimp brain and only listening to the human brain. Tried to read that Chimp Paradox book years ago and thought it was a load of crap, gave up about 50 pages in.

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah something along the line of suppressing your chimp brain and only listening to the human brain. Tried to read that Chimp Paradox book years ago and thought it was a load of crap, gave up about 50 pages in.

I would be the same, it’s not for me but at same time I would be a big believer in the value of it for athletes and performers, more face to face time than just purely reading and though. If it makes 1% of a difference then it’s money well spent imo.

The DA Vinci Code
    50 shades of grey
    PS I love You
    and

Ha....this reminds me of the old story of Roy Keane bringing a book with him when the team were traveling away, not because he wanted to read it, but so as he wouldn’t have to talk to the guy sitting next to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

After that reading list, it's fair to assume Rory will also have a 'visionboard' adorned on his wall.

Ah well and good, having various plastered pictures of lifting a ball from the 18th with a fist pump gesture in the other, but is far from exciting.
    I've got the Nobel prize, KateBeckdale, Baywatch, Micheal's 'Kit' car, 199m Euromillions rollover - and that's just the lower left quadrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Apologies if I jumped the gun, I wouldn't like to be viewed as initially antagonistic, I'm merely responding to a number you & Greebo's responded to and made an observation on.
    BTW I have no doubts your point regarding overall drop off could be right tbh.

I'm simply saying that in order for McIlroy to have ended up as 2nd in driving accuracy it seems incredibly unlikely that he wasn't highly ranked over the weekend relative to the field. Obviously we can both be correct in this scenario ;)

Breaking news, you can be the best driver in tournament and still drive the ball poorly. Stevie Wonder could see he drove the ball worse on the weekend than the previous two days, but nope, not you.

I think I've had just about enough of your armchair psycho-stats babble so don't expect a reply as I will no longer see your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GreeBo wrote: »
    Breaking news, you can be the best driver in tournament and still drive the ball poorly.

At your local club's weekend singles tournament maybe, less likely in a PGA Tour field.

If you are trying to argue that the player that came 2nd in the field in driving drove poorly, how would you describe the driving of the 140 players that statistically drove it even worse last week?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    At your local club's weekend singles tournament maybe, less likely in a PGA Tour field.

If you are trying to argue that the player that came 2nd in the field in driving drove poorly, how would you describe the driving of the 140 players that statistically drove it even worse last week?

very poorly.

btw I'm not trying to say he drove poorly, at all.
    Despite what others might think and for some reason imply.
    All I have said was that his driving over the weekend was worse than his driving over the first two days.

Breaking news, you can be the best driver in tournament and still drive the ball poorly. Stevie Wonder could see he drove the ball worse on the weekend than the previous two days, but nope, not you.

I think I've had just about enough of your armchair psycho-stats babble so don't expect a reply as I will no longer see your posts.

A bit childish.

Shouldn’t we add that stats are always a useful guide but don’t always tell you everything? A drive missing by 6 inches in the first cut, for example, is counted the same as one blasted wide into the trees. Also rory, like many others, had drives rick o’sheaing off trees back onto fairways and that kind of good fortune is never reflected in the stats. So there are all kinds of nuances there you have to interpret yourself if you can.

I think weekend was a little bit more difficult than first two days. Rory’s worst drive was on 16 Saturday as alluded to previously, it was a drive struck well but just too aggressive in cutting too much of the corner. In conclusion, while significantly statistically worse than first two days i don’t believe it was in any way a worrying performance off the tee. Said before i take it as a positive, in that it shows how good other less celebrated aspects of his game had to be in order to compensate, and that’s how it seemed to me.

Shouldn’t we add that stats are always a useful guide but don’t always tell you everything? A drive missing by 6 inches in the first cut, for example, is counted the same as one blasted wide into the trees. Also rory, like many others, had drives rick o’sheaing off trees back onto fairways and that kind of good fortune is never reflected in the stats. So there are all kinds of nuances there you have to interpret yourself if you can.

I think weekend was a little bit more difficult than first two days. Rory’s worst drive was on 16 Saturday as alluded to previously, it was a drive struck well but just too aggressive in cutting too much of the corner. In conclusion, while significantly statistically worse than first two days i don’t believe it was in any way a worrying performance off the tee. Said before i take it as a positive, in that it shows how good other less celebrated aspects of his game had to be in order to compensate, and that’s how it seemed to me.

Certainly the rest of his game compensated, which is great and led to the victory, but from an general analysis point of view I think it would be remiss to not comment on what seemed to be a significant drop in driving performance over the weekend.
    Its equally valid to talk about a drop in one area if we are going to talk about the significant improvement in other areas (which he had)
    If its not then thread is not a discussion thread.

A bit childish.

Its's weird but it doesn't bother me to be honest as my primary point was armchair psychology added no value so how he concluded I was doing that and not his buddy is beyond me.

I think it's clear for Stevie to also see that Greebo makes a show of himself relatively regularly across multiple forums so I'd only be too delighted for him to avoid replying to me.

That said, I probably won't block him as who doesn't like viewing a bit of cringe on occasion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If he'd not won he would no doubt have put it down to his driving over the weekend. However, he did get the win so I am sure he is not going to dwell too much on the negatives.

Certainly the rest of his game compensated, which is great and led to the victory, but from an general analysis point of view I think it would be remiss to not comment on what seemed to be a significant drop in driving performance over the weekend.
    Its equally valid to talk about a drop in one area if we are going to talk about the significant improvement in other areas (which he had)
    If its not then thread is not a discussion thread.

Yes agree on that. I thought it was fair to point out and said so.

Thing is, though, it’s all ultimately very positive for me. All it says is that Rory is the best in the business off the tee and a couple of less accomplished days (by his high standards) won’t change that. But he’s clearly becoming a better or more consistent putter and that’s way more significant to me. Again, I’m just guessing here, but I think he’s near the top this season from 10 foot in. And he’s looking so much more secure from the 5-6 foot range too. This augurs really well for him if trend continues and see no reason why it shouldn’t. Working his bollix off this year and it’s showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Keano wrote: »
    If he'd not won he would no doubt have put it down to his driving over the weekend. However, he did get the win so I am sure he is not going to dwell too much on the negatives.
    Well as I pointed out a few posts ago, he said he was having a problem with his driver on Saturday (which is borne out by his fairways hit stats of around 28%) and did some work on it on Saturday evening. Can't remember what the issue was, but if you look at the actual shot tracks, they weren't big misses. Some in those massive bunkers and others in the intermediate. I think there were only two that found the rough.

• Advertisement

I recall on sundays coverage they showed a clip of him coming off the range in the dark late the previous evening. Whatever the issue i think it’s fair to say he ironed it out a fair bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement