Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Looks like he brought the wrong putter today though. Awful miss on the 5th after stitching it.

Downhill slider...short but very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Just knocked in a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Putter's gone a bit cold for him today. But others having similar problems. Greens are a good bit slower today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Putter's gone a bit cold for him today. But others having similar problems. Greens are a good bit slower today.

Normal service is resumed then, only 3 others of top 30 out there are not under par for their round at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

davo10 wrote: »
    Normal service is resumed then, only 3 others of top 30 out there are not under par for their round at the moment.

You're nothing if not predictable

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    You're nothing if not predictable

So is McIllroy. One great round and you guys are wetting yourselves, he reverts to form the next day and suddenly it's difficult for everyone, but it isn't, 54 players were under par today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So is McIllroy. One great round and you guys are wetting yourselves, he reverts to form the next day and suddenly it's difficult for everyone, but it isn't.

What handicap are you off Davo you're obviously faultless?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What handicap are you off Davo you're obviously faultless?

Does that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Does that matter?

Well when a 69 isn't good enough for you you're obviously used to alot better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Well when a 69 isn't good enough for you you're obviously used to alot better.

What has my handicap got to do with a discussion about a pro? If my handicap is lower than yours, is my opinion more valid? 54 players are under par today, which at -1, his score is average at best.

• Advertisement

What has my handicap got to do with a discussion about a pro? If my handicap is lower than yours, is my opinion more valid? 54 players are under par today, which at -1, his score is average at best.
    Better than Tiger's. Who also had a -8 yesterday. That's golf.

I wouldn't say my handicap is better than Tiger's, I'm definitely a 500 handicap with the ladies.

Woods, and TV coverage has now skewed our opinion of modern "great golfers". Every facet of the modern golfer is now analysed in ways it never was before. To compete, and stay at the top you have to be better than ever before. Huge hitters like Rory used to over power the field and the short comings in their short game were compensated for by their incredible length off the tee or with long irons on par 5's. Now almost all the top players can boom the ball due to fitness, technology and improvement in technique. The short game now seperates the top from the bottom. Rory showed yesterday what he can do when his wedge/putter clicks, but that doesn't happen enough for him, and it happens more regularly, particularly in majors over the 4 days, for others (McIllroy might have one great day and 3 average, the winner usually has 4 good days). Mcginley called it right, even when it does click for him now, there is no guarantee he will win because others are just as good if not better. You guys think that just because he has a good day he deserves recognition or a clap on the back, I think that is just the standard he has to achieve to stand a chance of winning against others who do the same thing.

Fan clubs are great, I'm a member of a Liverpool FC and a local Rugby club, I support them, get tickets, go to matches etc and though the members are partisan, members still acknowledge the shortcomings of the teams and don't talk s**t when the team is playing s**t, why say a golfer is playing great when most of the time he isn't? I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Thats Tiger Woods, the old guy with a fused back who is in his first "proper" season for years, yeah?

Fan clubs are great, I'm a member of a Liverpool FC and a local Rugby club, I support them, get tickets, go to matches etc and though the members are partisan, members still acknowledge the shortcomings of the teams and don't talk s**t when the team is playing s**t, why say a golfer is playing great when most of the time he isn't? I just don't get it.
    This conversation started when you replied to a post where I literally said his putter had gone cold. You were conspicuously silent when he made 10 birdies in the first round. Not one person since I made that post has said anything other than call you on your yawn inducing predictable input. So I'd suggest you're straw manning with your little essay on fandom.

This conversation started when you replied to a post where I literally said his putter had gone cold. You were conspicuously silent when he made 10 birdies in the first round. Not one person since I made that post has said anything other than call you on your yawn inducing predictable input. So I'd suggest you're straw manning with your little essay on fandom.

I was going to post last night that I bet he'd revert to form tomorrow, but I didn't, and he did. There in lies the difference of opinion, you jump up and down clapping like a goodun just because he has one great round, I think he is too inconsistent to be as good as the fan club think he is. -8 yesterday, but with 54 players under par today, -1, that's hardy worth a clap. Lets see what tomorrow brings, could be great, could be average, that's pretty much his game.

I was going to post last night that I bet he'd revert to form tomorrow, but I didn't, and he did. There in lies the difference of opinion, you jump up and down clapping like a goodun just because he has one great round, I think he is too inconsistent to be as good as the fan club think he is. -8 yesterday, but with 54 players under par today, -1, that's hardy worth a clap. Lets see what tomorrow brings, could be great, could be average, that's pretty much his game.
    Oh look. A post-facto prognostication. You must win every lottery draw the next day too.

Oh look. A post-facto prognostication. You must win every lottery draw the next day too.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it isn't a prophecy if a prediction is based on previous form.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it isn't a prophecy if a prediction is based on previous form.
    Ok, I'll play. Predict his score tomorrow and I'll accept you're on to something, Lotto numbers would be good too. ;)

Ok, I'll play. Predict his score tomorrow and I'll accept you're on to something, Lotto numbers would be good too. ;)

His form suggests he could have a brilliant round or an awful round depending on the mercurial nature of his game. Is this concept too hard for you to grasp? He is so inconsistent that for every great round he has like yesterday, he is equally likely to have an average round like today or an awful round like he has had in other tournaments. The inconsistency and unpredictability of his game is the very reason why he hasn't won more tournaments/majors.

His form suggests he could have a brilliant round or an awful round depending on the mercurial nature of his game. Is this concept too hard for you to grasp? He is so inconsistent that for every great round he has like yesterday, he is equally likely to have an average round like today or an awful round like he has had in other tournaments. The inconsistency and unpredictability of his game is the very reason why he hasn't won more tournaments/majors.
    So all that clapping yourself on the back was unwarranted then?

• Advertisement

I was going to post last night that I bet he'd revert to form tomorrow, but I didn't, and he did.

Yeah of course you were :rolleyes:

Nowhere to be seen when he has the best score in the field on one day and then you're coming out with some nonsense stat that "only 3 of the top 30 aren't currently under par for the day" when he has a less good second round. Whatever that 'stat' was supposed to prove.

The stat was in response to this beauty. 54 of the 69 players were under par yesterday, 47 of them were -2 or better, what "problems" is he referring to?

I don't post everytime he has a great round, why would I?, you don't have to be capable of seeing into the future to expect McIllroy to revert to form the day after he has a great round, he does it all the time. What's the big deal with this? Why the fixation on me rather than discussion about the player, there are now 2 pages of this? You guys are being petty, you seem to not want a bad word said about your friend Rory, it's like some creepy infatuation that causes a reaction when a comment is posted about his form.

So all that clapping yourself on the back was unwarranted then?

You think expecting McIllroy to have an average round the day after he has a great one deserves a clap on the back? Dear God, your hand would be worn out and your back broken.

Why don't you just get back on topic and stop slagging off anyone who doesn't think one good round indicates a return to top form.

It's a real pity the mods don't edit out all this personal stuff, it would make the thread a better read.

The stat was in response to this beauty. 54 of the 69 players were under par yesterday, 47 of them were -2 or better, what "problems" is he referring to?

I don't post everytime he has a great round, why would I?, you don't have to be capable of seeing into the future to expect McIllroy to revert to form the day after he has a great round, he does it all the time. What's the big deal with this? Why the fixation on me rather than discussion about the player, there are now 2 pages of this? You guys are being petty, you seem to not want a bad word said about your friend Rory, it's like some creepy infatuation that causes a reaction when a comment is posted about his form.
    Because if you were actuially watching the golf instead of commenting on the leaderboard, you'd have seen that players were consistently leaving putts short or missing on the high side. The pace slowed up significantly and lots of makeable putts weren't dropping. Your response was facile and predictable.

Don't feel that you're being picked upon, it's not you, it's your 'analysis'. ;)

You think expecting McIllroy to have an average round the day after he has a great one deserves a clap on the back? Dear God, your hand would be worn out and your back broken.

Why don't you just get back on topic and stop slagging off anyone who doesn't think one good round indicates a return to top form.

It's a real pity the mods don't edit out all this personal stuff, it would make the thread a better read.
    Well the first bolded bit is your self-congratulatory post-facto comment and the second bolded bit is just a lie. Because if you look back through the posts when he had the good round, you'll have trouble finding me doing all that jumping up and down and clapping. In fact nothing in your diatribe above applies to me. But yeah, go on and whinge about 'personal stuff' while personally attacking me for doing something that patently isn't true.

Because if you were actuially watching the golf instead of commenting on the leaderboard, you'd have seen that players were consistently leaving putts short or missing on the high side. The pace slowed up significantly and lots of makeable putts weren't dropping. Your response was facile and predictable.

Don't feel that you're being picked upon, it's not you, it's your 'analysis'. ;)

Hahaha, I don't feel I'm being picked on, I think you guys are a little thin skinned and for some reason uber sensitive to even the most glaringly obvious comment about McIllroy, his inconsistency costs him. When you don't like a comment/analysis, you play the man not the ball.

When you use this "A post-facto prognostication" out of context and another asks for my handicap to justify the validity of an opinion, I know I'm not being picked on.

Yes the pace slowed up, but 47 players still adapted better to the change in conditions of greens. You said others were having problems, only 13 were not under par.

Hahaha, I don't feel I'm being picked on, I think you guys are a little thin skinned and for some reason uber sensitive to even the most glaringly obvious comment about McIllroy, his inconsistency costs him. When you don't like a comment/analysis, you play the man not the ball.

When you use this "A post-facto prognostication" out of context and another asks for my handicap to justify the validity of an opinion, I know I'm not being picked on.

Yes the pace slowed up, but 47 players still adapted better to the change in conditions of greens. You said others were having problems, only 13 were not under par.
    What else do you call a prediction of what's going to happen after it happened? And even then you were wrong. And even though the leaderboard is complete for the second round, you persist with it. So in hindsight, yes, I probably used that phrase wrong, since you were in fact incorrect. After the fact. :D

What else do you call a prediction of what's going to happen after it happened? . :D

Form.

only 13 were not under par.

Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Jaysus will someone take the shovel off the clown!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement