Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Rory faltering after good start Tiger roaring ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

That eejit with the board wandering about behind the hole seemed to have put Rory off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,045 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    What? He is leading the field in strokes gained off the tee through 2 rounds.

He's hit 50% of FIR, Tiger is over 72%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mcillroy wouldn't lace tigers boots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GreeBo wrote: »

How does leading the field in strokes gained driving equate to "forgetting how to drive"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ah come on. You know ending up in the first cut counts as a fairway missed, even if it has no real negative effect on the approach shot. Or driving it to within 60 yards of the green and in the first cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

FIR is not a great stat. What's better a 220 drive down the fairway or a 330 yard drive 1 inch off the fairway?

Rory is first in strokes gained off the tee so he's obviously driving it well.Tiger is 5th so he's driving well also.

f@steddie wrote: »
    FIR is not a great stat. What's better a 220 drive down the fairway or a 330 yard drive 1 inch off the fairway?

Rory is first in strokes gained off the tee so he's obviously driving it well.Tiger is 5th so he's driving well also.

No no no...he has "forgotten how to drive" sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Brutal stuff from him today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,500 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Implosion yet again. Four over for front 9.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    No no no...he has "forgotten how to drive" sure.

It was tongue in cheek, build a bridge and get over it bud.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Paging Davo to the thread please. Davo. The thread is calling for you

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah come on. You know ending up in the first cut counts as a fairway missed, even if it has no real negative effect on the approach shot. Or driving it to within 60 yards of the green and in the first cut.

So you don't think he has struggled with the driver this week?

He just dumped another one into the deep rough on a huge fairway.

But no, it's just me and all the commentators who think he is driving badly this week. I'll recommend they come read this thread for tips in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

After 3 rounds he was number 1 in driving and 3rd in approach play. 24th in chipping and putting

Rikand wrote: »
    After 3 rounds he was number 1 in driving and 3rd in approach play. 24th in chipping and putting

The stats are fake news. GreenBo has all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

He was really lashing at the ball today. He didn't have his usual perfect balance on his drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

I'm done watching this p***k. Absolutely not guts. Woods made him look like a total amateur. And to think where tiger was this time last year, it's an absolute disgrace how he played that final round.

If Bjorn had a sub choice, get Rafa to Paris NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm done watching this p***k. Absolutely not guts. Woods made him look like a total amateur. And to think where tiger was this time last year, it's an absolute disgrace how he played that final round.

Thanks for that. I needed a good giggle before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

:eek::D

He had a bad round of golf.

Not the first or last time for any pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How much did you have on him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

:eek::D

He had a bad round of golf.

Not the first or last time for any pro.
    His bad rounds have lately been on the greens but not even finding fairways today as a basic starting point has to be shocking.

But no, it's just me and all the commentators who think he is driving badly this week. I'll recommend they come read this thread for tips in future.
    Of course I do. FIR is not the way to express that though. Being miles off line and in the bushes is. ;)

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Of course I do. FIR is not the way to express that though. Being miles off line and in the bushes is. ;)

So you agree yet have been arguing against what I said all night?

No bother, another one for my ever growing list I guess.

So you agree yet have been arguing against what I said all night?

No bother, another one for my ever growing list I guess.
    All night? I'd like to think I can make one post quicker than that. Especially one that's posted in the morning. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A reminder to everyone to attack the post and not the poster. Few of you threading on the cut line coming up to Ryder Cup time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Must be a frustrating time for Rory, parts of his game excel but he can't put it together (in terms of winning), I heard off one of the commentators he did not make a single putt outside 5ft one of the days and yesterday he had the second worst score on the day, finishing in the top 10 means nothing to him, last year I thought he simply did not want to win and now I think its come full circle and he wants to win too much.
    The first hole yesterday summed it up for me, out drove Tiger well but Tiger goes first and leaves his in birdie range (which he made, center of the cup) but Rory from much closer leaves it over 39ft and of course walks away with a par and a two shot swing.
    After a few holes comes pressure to make up ground and his game can't handle it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

He is regularly finishing in the Top ten! I think some lads are forgetting how hard golf is! Sure even Rose nearly throw away the fed ex only for a bit of luck on 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Rory has all the shots obviously, but is very fragile under pressure. As has been evident on a number of occasions now. As I heard Des Smyth saying once, he's like a thoroughbred, he has to be on top of his game to win. He hasn't the temperament to grind it out when things are going badly. Ewan Murray was very critical of him last night for shooting himself out of the tournament after the first
    6 holes and rightly so. You heard Tiger saying afterwards how he enjoyed grinding it out. That's what you have to do to win - how many times did Tiger play 3 woods off the tee into the fairway and was 40 yards behind Rory who was spraying it left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Whilst McIlroy's driving was poor yesterday, it was his putting yet again that causes him most problems, as does the failure to employ a proper caddie.
    One incident was on the 5th hole. Both himself and Woods were hitting in wedges but both ended up in greenside bunkers. Both played mediocre recoveries to about 12 feet. McIlroy looked at his line from both sides and then missed the putt. Woods looked at his line from both directions, as did his caddie, they had words, and Woods looked again, then drained the putt. You need a proper caddie, not your mate. He will continue to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I don't know if anyone else feels this way . . but it felt like Rory was a first year in school trying to impress the sixth year prefect that is Tiger Woods in the final round. . . He seemed to just try and Smash everything out of sight off the Tee like he was trying to impress TW. . . and to be fair Tiger is his idol, regardless if they are friends.
    I will say,  it was extremely hard to be paired with TW yesterday, if Rory was in the second last pairing I fancy we would have seen a different level of performance , Maybe / Maybe Not . . Onto the Ryder Cup and he will take care of business !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement