Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

He's taking the piss now. With that many chances a 20 handicapper would probably hole 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Harry needs to have a word with him. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Here's the thing though.

His performance with all its flaws is still enough to be two shots off the lead in the end of season best field possible events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

His patience has finally broke. Poor shot choice for that 2nd shot I thought. Never easy hit a cut off a right to left slope.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Here's the thing though.

His performance with all its flaws is still enough to be two shots off the lead in the end of season best field possible events.

He's definitely showing improvements but I suppose this goes to show that with the talent as good as it is now, he has to be firing on all cylinders to have a chance of winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Finally makes a putt, and it’s for par.

That short blade is a fickle beast, Rory could have walked the tournament. On plus side, very steady tee to green.

That short blade is a fickle beast, Rory could have walked the tournament. On plus side, very steady tee to green.
    Yeah. THe wedges, for me were the weak point where his game fell apart. Over the last four days, they've looked a hell of a lot better. Putting isn't far off, just needed a few to drop to click with him and it hasn't happened.

On a side note, who'd have thought that Billy Ho and Keegan Bradley would be figuring at the pointy end in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

OEP wrote: »
    Old diesel wrote: »
    Here's the thing though.

He's definitely showing improvements but I suppose this goes to show that with the talent as good as it is now, he has to be firing on all cylinders to have a chance of winning.
    Not really, all McIlroy needed was an average day on the greens and he would have won. Missed a 6 footer, 3 eight footers, an 11 footer, a 12 footer, 2 14 footers, a 17 footer, an 18 footer and a 19 footer.

blackcard wrote: »
    Not really, all McIlroy needed was an average day on the greens and he would have won. Missed a 6 footer, 3 eight footers, an 11 footer, a 12 footer, 2 14 footers, a 17 footer, an 18 footer and a 19 footer.
    Yeah. Justin Rose very seldom got that close and dropped at least one twenty footer. The confidence isn't there with the putter. But at least it's one less chicken to herd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

I think he was as good as anyone tee to green today but his putting just wasn't there. Not a bad finish but he is probably frustrated that he didn't mount a better challenge, good tournament for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

blackcard wrote:

Whatever about the short one's...please ...missing those those medium range putts is hardly criminal and hardly worth mentioning in dissecting a poor putting performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Whatever about the short one's...please ...missing those those medium range putts is hardly criminal and hardly worth mentioning in dissecting a poor putting performance.

That post was in reply to someone saying he needs to be firing on all cylinders to win. He only needs a reasonably good day with the putter to win. If two of those had dropped he’d have been in the playoff. From what I saw he was putting well, all with good pace and just rolling past.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tobsey wrote: »
    That post was in reply to someone saying he needs to be firing on all cylinders to win. He only needs a reasonably good day with the putter to win. If two of those had dropped he’d have been in the playoff. From what I saw he was putting well, all with good pace and just rolling past.

They all had putts that missed though, if Tiger had dropped more makeable putts he would have won it outright.
    Ifs-and-buts tbh, he didnt make them so he wasnt in the playoff and didnt win outright.

His wedge game showed a massive improvement, but that just gets him caught up with the rest of the top echelon.

When he hits it that close and has a good day with the putter he will contend if not win (as they all would) he just needs to have more of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

GreeBo wrote: »

They all had putts that missed though, if Tiger had dropped more makeable putts he would have won it outright.
    Ifs-and-buts tbh, he didnt make them so he wasnt in the playoff and didnt win outright.

His wedge game showed a massive improvement, but that just gets him caught up with the rest of the top echelon.

When he hits it that close and has a good day with the putter he will contend if not win (as they all would) he just needs to have more of those days.
    Statictics for the last day show that he lost 2.75 strokes to the average of the field in putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Jaysus you love talking pure...... stuff ;)

It looks like the wedges are still hot.

OEP wrote: »
    It looks like the wedges are still hot.
    Playing a bit of army golf though. Still finished with a nice birdie. From a bunker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Is it just me or does Rory's game improve when he's not the biggest "star" on the course? Ie when he's in the media shadow of woods?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Rory's game improve when he's not the biggest "star" on the course? Ie when he's in the media shadow of woods?
    It's possible, or it could just be coincidental with the fact that one of the strengths of his game (approach shots) deserted him for a while and appears to be now coming back to its best.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I think it's just you! He hasn't been good all year until playoffs and I don't think there's been as much spotlight on him. It looks as though he's sorted his issues with the wedges, which is leading to his improved scores. His putting is still iffy though, a lot of his birdies yesterday were almost tap ins.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He was very unlucky yesterday with a number of putts. He had 4 lip outs in a row I think

Keano wrote: »
    He was very unlucky yesterday with a number of putts. He had 4 lip outs in a row I think
    Yeah. Saw that. They are heartbreaking. A few more went close enough to look in as they went past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Keano wrote: »

From most of the footage I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to miss putts by much. Almost like he's hitting good putts, just on a (multi-year) unlucky streak. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I'm assuming he's playing well seeing as we don't have your man in telling us how ****e he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How does he get through those Sky Sports interviews after every round? Painful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Funny how when he remembers how to to pitch & putt he forgets how to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Funny how when he remembers how to to pitch & putt he forgets how to drive!

What? He is leading the field in strokes gained off the tee through 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Rory off to a flyer to day -2 after 3 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Tiger -4 after 5 holes now playing a par 5 and Rory just pars it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement