Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Drinks it - damn it rory :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,835 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

And then he went and did something stupid and spoilt all his good work!!

Did really well to make bogey.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Did really well to make bogey.

Yeah that could prove crucial.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was stunned he left that so short, for a pro with that club in his hand to hit the drink is unreal, then again it's Rory on the tee

Shot 1 134 yds to water, 61 ft 1 in. to hole

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    Was stunned he left that so short, for a pro with that club in his hand to hit the drink is unreal, then again it's Rory on the tee

I didn't see the shot, but I assumed the tracker just marked the distance to where he took his drop, rather than the distance he hit it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

The sound of it when hit was poor, he didn't get the middle of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

backspin. wrote: »
    The sound of it when hit was poor, he didn't get the middle of the club.

It hit the rocks before the green and went back into the water. Was about 5 yards off pin high but well wide of a target the pros were getting very close to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

It hit the rocks before the green and went back into the water. Was about 5 yards off pin high but well wide of a target the pros were getting very close to

You make it sound like he’s the worst in the field. That hole is playing it’s par and mcilroy is even on it after three rounds. It was one bad stroke.

I didn't see the shot, but I assumed the tracker just marked the distance to where he took his drop, rather than the distance he hit it?

Nope, it was the distance he hit it to, he was 10yards shy of the flag according to the golf channel last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GilbertGilbert

Nope, it was the distance he hit it to, he was 10yards shy of the flag according to the golf channel last night

The hole was 190 yards long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

The hole was 190 yards long

Pretty sure it was about 150.

It definitely hit the rocks as another poster mentioned and kicked back. Id imagine it was really only about 5 yards short of the green from point it hit the rocks. I was watching it.

But really, poor enough as most others were landing well on and spinning back to front pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GilbertGilbert

kiers47 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was about 150.

It definitely hit the rocks as another poster mentioned and kicked back. Id imagine it was really only about 5 yards short of the green from point it hit the rocks. I was watching it.

But really, poor enough as most others were landing well on and spinning back to front pin.

It was 190. Still shouldn't be missing that green short but was only a couple of yards off. He played great, had an excellent 66, and people still talk about the hole where he slightly mis hit an iron. Weird.

It was 190. Still shouldn't be missing that green short but was only a couple of yards off. He played great, had an excellent 66, and people still talk about the hole where he slightly mis hit an iron. Weird.

Welcome to the thread!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The hole is 190 off the very back to the centre. The tees were pushed forward yesterday. It was definitely playing in the 150 range i cant remember exactly. I watched most of the coverage last night. Most were hitting wedges in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

This last page pretty much sums this entire thread up.

Golfer mi****s one single shot in the 3rd round of a tour event: significant discussion on it. Pretty much sums up how much focus Rory gets. Impossibly high standards.

ligerdub wrote: »
    This last page pretty much sums this entire thread up.

Golfer mi****s one single shot in the 3rd round of a tour event: significant discussion on it. Pretty much sums up how much focus Rory gets. Impossibly high standards.

I think it was just the timing of it. I've been one of the people defending him over the course of the thread this year but i was disappointed with that shot.

Surely we are allowed to discuss it considering it was a significant part of his round?

It was a good recovery shot he played though afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Bad shot but at least he's showing some better form than his last outing. Let's hope I'm not eating my words in a few hours time.

Regarding the discussion of his water shot yesterday, it was 157yards to the pin, the rest of them were peppering it past and Rors had a wedge/9? in hand, it was on a tee and he was shockingly short, that is in no way an impossibly high standard.
    Anyhow, he’s still in the hunt, an eagle birdie run and who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Regarding the discussion of his water shot yesterday, it was 157yards to the pin, the rest of them were peppering it past and Rors had a wedge/9? in hand, it was on a tee and he was shockingly short, that is in no way an impossibly high standard.
    Anyhow, he’s still in the hunt, an eagle birdie run and who knows
    Tiger is after doing the exact same thing on the same hole.

Rushes over to the Tiger thread to join in the chorus of disapproval. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Tiger is after doing the exact same thing on the same hole.

Rushes over to the Tiger thread to join in the chorus of disapproval. :)

Just parred it though from the DZ. There's the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Tiger double bogeyed the hole

Tiger double Bogeyed it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ok thanks. Tough crowd in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tough crowd in tonight.

Welcome to Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

The driver seems to be deserting him just when he needs it. I know it’s a tough stretch of holes but if he could have found a birdie on them he would have been in with a chance.

It's not possible to par a par 3 after taking a drop. You're taking your third from the DZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's not possible to par a par 3 after taking a drop. You're taking your third from the DZ.

Think about that one again.

davo10 wrote: »

A buddy of mine got a hole in one on a par 3 once, with his provisional. Never let him forget That, as he's tried a few times to brag about his hole in one:-)

Fred Couples will empirically disagree, albeit from the tee

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Yeah. :o
    I'll restate it to "it's almost impossible to par a par 3 from the drop zone". ;)

In the context of the post I replied to, it makes little difference though. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement