Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He absolutely got the most out of that round, led the field in shots gained on approach.

Its world's apart than a backdoor top 5.

Did he though? If only his driving was as good as his iron play he'd probably have won...so y'know there's an aspect of his game that isn't good and if he improved it he might win more.

davo10 wrote: »
    A lot of winners this year, that's the point being made, he is one of the pack, nothing more. To equate what Woods did yesterday with the Open is just bonkers, the guy had a 64 on the final day of a major, he wasn't lucky that a 5% eagle putt dropped to put him into contention for a brief period. Woods is 43, has had multiple long lay offs due to injury, but his capacity to get back to this level and compete is astonishing.
    He didn his ass almost win the open this year, he was briefly in contention after a lucky eagle putt.

Yeah good point, McIlroy did actually lead the Open with a few holes to go, Tiger just reversed in for a 'back door' second place. Hadn't thought of it that way before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah good point, McIlroy did actually lead the Open with a few holes to go, Tiger just reversed in for a 'back door' second place. Hadn't thought of it that way before.

I think you are doing Koepke a disservice there, he wobbled a bit with two bogies on the front nine, but 6 birdies in your final round to win a major is impressive.

Did McIllroy lead for a very brief period? I wonder how many players have led a major for one hole of the final round in a major over the last 5 years? Can't remember that many myself.

Anyone of describes what Woods did yesterday as reversing in the back door, really isn't giving it any thought at all. Players, pundits, journos almost universally describing it as something to behold. I'm hoping prawnsambo won't make me link to every article written to confirm that, just google "tiger woods PGA "

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Seve OB wrote: »
    If there is one guy out there who has the game and potential to win a bucket load more majors, it's Rory. It's a pretty indisputable fact.

Will he though? Perhaps he will and maybe he won't, for a multitude of reasons I'm sure.

Is he the best Driver of a golf ball we have ever seen?...... Probably.
    Could his long game be better...... Yes
    Could his short game be better....... Hell yes
    Could his attitude be better......... 10 fold.
    Has he the drive and ambition to do it......somewhat........ But it clearly could be better.

Was he ever a world class golfer? Of course....... But some people think he got lucky.

Is he still a world class golfer? Of course he is, but again, some people are delusional.

Does he care what we think...... No.

Am I bovered?....................... No :)

Well colour me confused.
    On one hand its "indisputable" but you then go on to list 5 facets of the game, only 1 of which he is "probably" the best at (and I think there are a few guys who are equal if not better, Koepka for one) and the other 4 that he needs to be much better at.

Consider your fact disputed if not disproven entirely (unless of course you are referring to a very small bucket?)

Seve OB wrote: »
    I don't like him and hope he never wins another tournament, not even the monthly medal at Hollywood.

Well you've certainly changed your tune...can't imagine why.

• Advertisement

Rory might be advised to consult the likes of Butch Harmon in effort to spruce up his short game, some of those errant 70 yard wedges in recent weeks have been a disservice to his considerable talent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well you've certainly changed your tune...can't imagine why.

Lets not go there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

Anyone of describes what Woods did yesterday as reversing in the back door, really isn't giving it any thought at all. Players, pundits, journos almost universally describing it as something to behold.

Ahh come on, TW gets a free ride from the media and all the players and pundits, bar maybe Chamblee. Even Pat Perez admits he'll never get an invite to the Hero World Challenge because of a reasonably fair but maybe slightly critical remark he made about Tiger a few years ago. The establishment love him because the ratings pretty much double when he's in contention. Follow the money.

That said, in fairness a back door top 5 is probably overstating it, but is that what would that have been said if it was Rory who shot 64 to finish top 5 somewhere ? I suspect it would by some. Given Tiger's age, injury history etc it was a superb performance, but hardly one for the ages like his Torrey Pines or Pebble Beach US Opens. Although not a fan, I'm delighted he's back in the game and even happier he's apparently healthy, but I honestly can't see how he was ever catching Koepka last night, not when Koepka still had the par 5 to play. Similar to the Open actually, Rory in the lead, but the others still had a gimme par 5 to play.

Rory clearly has issues in his game at the moment. He says himself that he has a two way miss going on with the driver. Can't see him ever going to Butch though, and why should he ? his own coach has been doing pretty well for him up till now. That's not a slight on Butch, I'd love a lesson from him, but given Rory's stubborness, I can't see it happening, especially after their little disagreement a few weeks ago !

Russman wrote: »
    That said, in fairness a back door top 5 is probably overstating it, but is that what would that have been said if it was Rory who shot 64 to finish top 5 somewhere ? I suspect it would by some.

That was what I was getting at above, if McIlroy shot 64 on Sunday to finish 2 back it'd be "ah sure the pressure was off, back door top 5".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That was what I was getting at above, if McIlroy shot 64 on Sunday to finish 2 back it'd be "ah sure the pressure was off, back door top 5".

Yeah Rory will never win with some people here. When he's playing well there nowhere to be seen but once he's not playing well or up to their standard then they're in here within seconds to tell us about it. How's he's not at their level and he's like a 20 handicapper bla bla bla.

I don't mind the criticism as sometimes it's justified but the same people will never praise him when he's playing well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Yeah Rory will never win with some people here. When he's playing well there nowhere to be seen but once he's not playing well or up to their standard then they're in here within seconds to tell us about it. How's he's not at their level and he's like a 20 handicapper bla bla bla.

I don't mind the criticism as sometimes it's justified but the same people will never praise him when he's playing well.

He"ll win, when he plays well enough to win a major. When he plays well and doesn't win, he is just one of the pack. Simples.

You seem fixated on another poster's 20 handicapper comment, when Tiger said he played like a "spaz", did you really take him at his word?, when he was thinning wedges across greens a few years ago and one of the commentators said his short game was like an 18 handicapper, should we have taken it literally? When McIllroy himself says his major wins were just a hot streak and his game settled back into its real level since then, do you believe him?

Since June 2016, JT has 8 wins, 1 major, DJ 10 wins, 1 major, BK 3 majors, are you saying McIllroy is playing at that level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Since June 2016, JT has 8 wins, 1 major, DJ 10 wins, 1 major, BK 3 majors, are you saying McIllroy is playing at that level?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Rory isn't number one in world. He's number 5. Dj and JT are ahead of him and that's justified I don't think anyone will argue with that. McIlroy is certainly on their level though. If he isn't who is?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Rory isn't number one in world. He's number 5. Dj and JT are ahead of him and that's justified I don't think anyone will argue with that. McIlroy is certainly on their level though. If he isn't who is?

The point I'm making is pretty simple, you said it's blah blah to say McIllroy isn't playing at the level of those three, his performances over the past 2 years when compared to theirs clearly show he isn't. Yes he is number 5 in the world, but 1,2 and 3 are on a different level to him at the moment.

Incidentally, according to this mornings rankings he is number 7.

http://www.owgr.com/

I don't think anyone is suggesting McIlroy is playing at that level right now....? Clearly he's not, to suggest otherwise is madness.

There's a difference between playing at a given level at a point in time, and being on the same level as a golfer as another player. Rory is certainly in the very top echelon of players in the world, albeit he's not played well this season or last.

When McIllroy himself says his major wins were just a hot streak and his game settled back into its real level since then, do you believe him?

In fairness if he said anything else, he's look like a right arrogant t1t given how he's playing.

Rory McIlroy Christmas List

Shane Lowry
    Padraig Harrington
    Paul McGinley
    Darren Clarke
    Seamus Power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

He seems pretty annoyed with the state of his game and swing, reading the interviews he gave after - as he should be. Maybe this is what he needs as a kick up the arse so to speak. Possibly he thought he'd get back to business as usual this year. I'm clutching at straws here! He gets one more season of unconditional support...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory McIlroy Christmas List

Shane Lowry
    Padraig Harrington
    Paul McGinley
    Darren Clarke
    Seamus Power
    Let hope we see Rory at the Paul McGinely hosted Irish Open next year after the comments!

No Rors, little point discreetly pitching a tent in the dunes.

• Advertisement

OEP wrote: »
    He seems pretty annoyed with the state of his game and swing, reading the interviews he gave after - as he should be. Maybe this is what he needs as a kick up the arse so to speak. Possibly he thought he'd get back to business as usual this year. I'm clutching at straws here! He gets one more season of unconditional support...

I'm hoping he takes it as a kick up the arse and doesn't make some regretful twitter reply about money... :o

I'm hoping he takes it as a kick up the arse and doesn't make some regretful twitter reply about money... :o
    Hopefully. We all generally learn from stupid **** we do when we're younger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory said he would most likely be skipping the first play-off event next week.

"I need to assess where I’m at. The best thing for me to do right now is take a couple days off and reflect on what I need to do going forward.”

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2018-a-frustrated-rory-mcilroy-might-skip-the-first-fedex-cup-playoff-event

I think you are missing the fact that Tiger shot 66-66-64 for his last 3 rounds.

He didn't throw in a 74 on Saturday and then have a 62 on Sunday to courageously come 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Hopefully. We all generally learn from stupid **** we do when we're younger

The sad thing about it is people never forget and rarely forgive

Rory is skipping The Northern Trust. I think it's a good move. There's a big few weeks ahead with the Fedex cup tournaments and the Ryder Cup. His game clearly isn't where it should be so hopefully he can figure something out

Rory is skipping The Northern Trust. I think it's a good move. There's a big few weeks ahead with the Fedex cup tournaments and the Ryder Cup. His game clearly isn't where it should be so hopefully he can figure something out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

On the move today in the states. 5 under for his round thru 10

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

On the move today in the states. 5 under for his round thru 10

ya looking strong, the small bit they show of him the wedges ad putter working well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And then he went and did something stupid and spoilt all his good work!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement