Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

They seem to be making progress on the fix, but I hope they aren't finished yet...

3316908608.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Yeah I would check the speeds at peak time. I checked the speed monday morning around 7 and got 20mb .. ran it last night around 8, got barely 2mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

And it's not windy at the moment either. It's been up and down today - got 11Mb down earlier but now it has dropped off loads.

3317281903.png

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

astrofluff wrote: »
    And it's not windy at the moment either. It's been up and down today - got 11Mb down earlier but now it has dropped off loads.

Astrofluff, have you considered changing to fibre? i am a few houses from you and this is my speed test at 1830 (a busy time for broadband)

3317741577.png

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3317759437.png

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

The network is demonstrably better today, however, the extended network is still riddled with dropped packets and we still have problems on the local gateway.

The traffic route has changed too which suggests some activity by the now infamous NOC team, but I'm still not happy. Ping times to the local gateway exceeding 1951m/s says that streaming is still broken and the underlying problem is yet to be fixed. I look forward to testing this again when I get the TxT from UPC telling me that the issue has been fixed.

Fair warning UPC: I have all the tools I need to prove to otherwise should you choose to prematurely announce an ending to this problem.

@JimJay, I'm on a reduced rate contract at the moment so cannot break away for a while. When March comes, and HD too, I'll re-think but I believe, and have faith in UPC, to fix this and provide a better service in coming months. What's the TV offering like with eircom or have you split BB/TV packages?

astrofluff wrote: »
    @JimJay, I'm on a reduced rate contract at the moment so cannot break away for a while. When March comes, and HD too, I'll re-think but I believe, and have faith in UPC, to fix this and provide a better service in coming months. What's the TV offering like with eircom or have you split BB/TV packages?

I hope so Astro as since the duct was laid, there has been very little else happening and I pass all of the new duct twice a day at various times.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

I'm in Charlesland with UPC and only getting 2.5mb down and 3mb up while connected directly to router...Just off the phone to UPC Tech support and after 15mins they eventually agreed there's a problem. There's a technician booked to come out next week.

I mentioned that I had read recently that we would be connected to UPC network by fibre in March. He responded that as far as he was aware UPC have no plans to connect Charlesland with a fibre connection. I asked could he check his information so he contacted a member of UPC Infrastructure and they confirmed the same.

I'm hoping that they are both wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe UPC are using this March date so people will be outside there 30 day contract break with the new price increases. Hurry up Eircom please!

lakeroad wrote: »
    I'm in Charlesland with UPC and only getting 2.5mb down and 3mb up while connected directly to router...Just off the phone to UPC Tech support and after 15mins they eventually agreed there's a problem. There's a technician booked to come out next week.

I mentioned that I had read recently that we would be connected to UPC network by fibre in March. He responded that as far as he was aware UPC have no plans to connect Charlesland with a fibre connection. I asked could he check his information so he contacted a member of UPC Infrastructure and they confirmed the same.

I'm hoping that they are both wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe UPC are using this March date so people will be outside there 30 day contract break with the new price increases. Hurry up Eircom please!

It has crossed my mind. That would be some kick in the teeth as the fibre upgrade is the only reason I stopped talking to Sky and other BB providers.

Who is starting the "Charlesland Upgrade" thread over on the talk to UPC forum?? I started the last two....

• Advertisement

I spoke too soon....

lakeroad wrote: »

I doubt they can enforce a contract where they charge for 30mb download speeds, and only provide 2mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drweavil wrote: »
    The network is demonstrably better today, however, the extended network is still riddled with dropped packets and we still have problems on the local gateway.

The traffic route has changed too which suggests some activity by the now infamous NOC team, but I'm still not happy. Ping times to the local gateway exceeding 1951m/s says that streaming is still broken and the underlying problem is yet to be fixed. I look forward to testing this again when I get the TxT from UPC telling me that the issue has been fixed.

Fair warning UPC: I have all the tools I need to prove to otherwise should you choose to prematurely announce an ending to this problem.

Are you performing your ping tests over wireless?

It you're getting 1900ms to your router there's something wrong with your router, computer and wireless channel is over subscribed.

Ask for a Thompson router from UPC or bridge a nertgear onto it.

3318197482.png

Sigh....

3318197482.png

Sigh....
    Ping times are good though!!

Are you performing your ping tests over wireless?

It you're getting 1900ms to your router there's something wrong with your router, computer and wireless channel is over subscribed.

Ask for a Thompson router from UPC or bridge a nertgear onto it.

I use a standard Cat 5, RJ45 cable to connect to the switch in the router, I don't use Wifi for my main computer at all precisely because it can have channel issues from time to time.

I've checked the router out and it's fine, when reading the ping plot I can clearly see that any failings in my house router are immediately preceded by large packet loss further up the network, the timeline shows these up as red lines with pings exceeding 500ms. My local router can't help but fail when the error count is so high.

Swapping out the router is not going to solve the problem, I have many friends who are also on UPC and are suffering from the same issue.

Ping times are good though!!
    Yep, they should not be affected by packet loss unless they run into a dropped node or a !X !H rule violation.

Yep, they should not be affected by packet loss unless they run into a dropped node or a !X !H rule violation.

Packet loss would cause timeouts? The times shown below says your latency is good alright but suggest a bandwidth issue or a faulty router along the way

Packet loss would cause timeouts? The times shown below says your latency is good alright but suggest a bandwidth issue or a faulty router along the way
    Yep, Ping can be affected by packet loss but realistically, considering the ICMP packet in a ping is only 32bytes, it would require a very high rate of packet loss to affect it. This is why Ping is a reliable tool to ascertain connectivity, but doesn't tell you anything about network or route quality.

I find Pingplotter a great tool for resolving quality issues as it not only provides a trace and ping, it counts the errors too. It's why I use it to diagnose problems. Many companies and ISP's use it for their customers, encouraging everyone to help them ensure that they're doing the best they can. It's a shame that UPC don't operate in a similarly enlightened vein.

30mb download this morning, 1 mb last night at 9.

• Advertisement

Anyone else having a complete outage?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

LEIN wrote: »
    Anyone else having a complete outage?

Will be home in the next 30 mins or so. Will check then...

Yep, Ping can be affected by packet loss but realistically, considering the ICMP packet in a ping is only 32bytes, it would require a very high rate of packet loss to affect it. This is why Ping is a reliable tool to ascertain connectivity, but doesn't tell you anything about network or route quality.

I find Pingplotter a great tool for resolving quality issues as it not only provides a trace and ping, it counts the errors too. It's why I use it to diagnose problems. Many companies and ISP's use it for their customers, encouraging everyone to help them ensure that they're doing the best they can. It's a shame that UPC don't operate in a similarly enlightened vein.

had a play around with this today, id be quite concerned with your local packet loss and latency. The fact your getting packet loss to your router alone suggests issues with your router, cabling or computer. before troubleshooting any further you should get these addressed.

I would expect 0 packet loss and 1-2ms latency on your first two hops.

you've bigger problems than WAN issues and i suspect when they fix the core network issues you will still experience problems.

295031.png

Completely unusable at the moment. Resorting to 3G for internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Down indeed

JanneG wrote: »
    Down indeed

Hopefully that is a sign they are working on it at the moment. It would be better for the whole network to go down, so they actually have to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

doccy wrote: »
    Hopefully that is a sign they are working on it at the moment. It would be better for the whole network to go down, so they actually have to fix the problem.

Hopefully.
    I opened an online tech support ticket with them (again). Hopefully everyone else having the issue is too as otherwise they won't know or care.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

Gargamello wrote: »
    Hopefully.
    I opened an online tech support ticket with them (again). Hopefully everyone else having the issue is too as otherwise they won't know or care.

Looks like there's a full outage of all services in the area.

I'm on 3G too. Painfully slow......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

Was on the phone to them 5 minutes ago and yes there is an outage for Charlesland.

Advertisement