Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Aronaay wrote: »
    No one has the right to stop you erecting a dish as the entire country is covered by blanket planning. Only listed buildings in certain areas are not allowed

you need planning to put a dish on the front of a house - its not very well enforced but there is no "blanket planning" (whatever that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Blanket planning is a lay term used for planning that covers everywhere. It was first used in Ireland to allow the erection of tv antenna on houses a few years after rte was launched. When sky brought there digital service to Ireland they applied for the same which was granted with a few exceptions to protect picturesque areas and certain listed buildings. But in a modern estate like Charlesland you can put you're dish anywhere on your property unless you get a large number of complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Aronaay wrote: »
    Blanket planning is a lay term used for planning that covers everywhere. It was first used in Ireland to allow the erection of tv antenna on houses a few years after rte was launched. When sky brought there digital service to Ireland they applied for the same which was granted with a few exceptions to protect picturesque areas and certain listed buildings. But in a modern estate like Charlesland you can put you're dish anywhere on your property unless you get a large number of complaints

"A satellite dish (up to 1 metre in diameter, and no higher than the top of the roof) at the back or side of the house (a dish on the front needs planning permission). Only one dish may be erected on a house."

source

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Is the broadband down again.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dr ro wrote: »
    Is the broadband down again.

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Up and down, up and down....

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

UPC Service Update

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-12%20at%208.40.04%20PM.png

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mobile Internet is so painful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah I noticed that it's been up and down all day

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Wouldn't bother me much but my connection on phone with 3 isn't much better....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Anyone in Charlesland getting close to normal speeds on UPC at the moment. I have an engineer coming on Monday as mine is very bad at the moment. Supposed to be a 30Mb line but only getting 3-4 when wired to the modem.

Latest test from UPC website:

Download Speed: 3621 kbps (452.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3092 kbps (386.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 15 ms
    Jitter: 24 ms
    14/2/2014 17:53

Just interested is anyone else in the estate is getting good speeds at the moment?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Robertr wrote: »
    Anyone in Charlesland getting close to normal speeds on UPC at the moment. I have an engineer coming on Monday as mine is very bad at the moment. Supposed to be a 30Mb line but only getting 3-4 when wired to the modem.

Latest test from UPC website:

Download Speed: 3621 kbps (452.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3092 kbps (386.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 15 ms
    Jitter: 24 ms
    14/2/2014 17:53

Just interested is anyone else in the estate is getting good speeds at the moment?

Thanks.

I'm only getting half a meg for the last couple of days. Restarted my router an few times aswell but still the same.

Should I contact UPC or is everyone's having difficulty with the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

3306356032.png

Although it says 30mb on your bill, the mmds service only supplies 20mb max.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 michaelb82

You should contact UPC. I'm getting similar speeds to you 3-6Mbps at the moment and there is something up generally.

Before the weather issues, I checked mine at 1:15am and was hitting 30 Mbit/s.

Last Result:
    Download Speed 29771 kbps (3721.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed 3270 kbps (408.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency 17 ms
    Jitter: 13 ms
    2/7/2014 1027:03 AM

I would say there is still a problem left over from the weather issues at the moment.

But when the network is working normally, the problem is that the speed drops down at peak times and comes back up to full speed off peak. I've complained a number of times but you get nowhere.

Regards,
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dubjackeen

Is anyone else in Seabourne/Charlesland having the usual slow speeds after a puff of wind?

Download Speed: 6269 kbps (783.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3112 kbps (389 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 16 ms
    Jitter: 5 ms
    2/15/2014 10:13:45 AM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Only getting around 5Mb down myself. Contacted support and told them to escalate this as plenty of us have been having the problem. We will need more people getting in contact to push this. Phone 1908, select option 2, and option 2 again for Broadband support.

It could very well be a bad aligned antenna after all the bad weather and just needs someone to fix it!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

dubjackeen wrote: »
    Is anyone else in Seabourne/Charlesland having the usual slow speeds after a puff of wind?

Download Speed: 6269 kbps (783.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3112 kbps (389 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 16 ms
    Jitter: 5 ms
    2/15/2014 10:13:45 AM

There is severe packet loss on our line in Charlesland and we've been suffering from this for quite some time, a fact that UPC have up to now denied. I posted the attached earlier proving that we have a problem and it's on their network. The red lines in the picture indicate a ping exceeding 500ms = packet loss city.

The wind suggests that the local problem could be at Layer 1 in the OSI model i.e. physical hardware (one gust of wind affecting the azimuth on the local exchange ariel, or a cable with a dodgy connection left to swing in the breeze). The problem, however, is not limited to local issues, the telia.net and aorta.net networks are also dropping packets like nine-pins.

Two weeks ago I requested that UPC check these issues out and provided them with the evidence and diagnostic approach they should take, as usual, they "disagreed" with me and I've heard nothing since.

More reports of this issue are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

That just means there's packet loss between your router and the router at the minds station suggesting a cabling issue local to your house.

If it was MMDS then everyone would have an issue for the last two weeks not just the last few days.

The high ping time also looks like it's the outside interface of your modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That just means there's packet loss between your router and the router at the minds station suggesting a cabling issue local to your house.

If it was MMDS then everyone would have an issue for the last two weeks not just the last few days.

I've been having problems for more than the last two weeks. UPC need to get their act together before the mass migration to eFibre.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I've been having problems for more than the last two weeks. UPC need to get their act together before the mass migration to eFibre.

Specific to your house, other people in Charlesland getting good speeds suggest not an area issue but something localised.

If all the people having issues are localised to one area of the the estate it would help to narrow it down but if it random across the estate then it sounds like individual cabling and or modem issues.

• Advertisement

192.168.1.1 is my router. There are no issues on that line as can clearly be seen in the trace. Also if there was a local cable issue it would show up in the signal to noise ratio in the router setup and all of those values are fine and have been checked by UPC too.

The dropped packets on the outside 176 interface show up only when they are preceded by dropped packets further down the line as can be clearly seen in the trace. PingPlotter often reports packet losses exceeding 40% on a single hop too.

I've attached another screenshot showing a trace run this morning at 9am approx (16-2-14, sunny day, no rain and No Wind) with a 10 minute overview. It clearly shows no problems on either my inside or outside ports and it also clearly shows a plethora of dropped packets across Telia and Aorta.

There is clearly a problem, it's intermittent and it's down to packet loss...

...and from where I'm sitting, it's nowt to do with me.

Specific to your house, other people in Charlesland getting good speeds suggest not an area issue but something localised.

If all the people having issues are localised to one area of the the estate it would help to narrow it down but if it random across the estate then it sounds like individual cabling and or modem issues.

Or it suggests that there is packet loss from our local gateway and further up the chain.

I'm sorry Matt but I don't buy your diagnostic approach. Multiple OSI layer 1 problems in multiple houses, using multiple connection models just doesn't add up. There's too much co-incidence involved.

Your packet loss there isn't even on the UPC network, it's on the first hop after based on the one you've highlighted.

You find also that the first two hops after will be routers between you and the MMDS Ariel.

The 172 address and the next one.

Try running your ping test to google or apple.com for sh1ts and giggles.

Your packet loss there isn't even on the UPC network, it's on the first hop after based on the one you've highlighted.

You find also that the first two hops after will be routers between you and the MMDS Ariel.

The 172 address and the next one.

Try running your ping test to google or apple.com for sh1ts and giggles.

Results of trace route to www.google.com run at 09:40 16-2-13

C:\Users\Boggy>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.24.105]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 6 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 26 ms 12 ms 10 ms 176.61.72.1
    3 14 ms 39 ms 18 ms 109.255.254.190
    4 15 ms 19 ms 22 ms 84.116.238.110
    5 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms 213.46.165.54
    6 22 ms 18 ms 16 ms 209.85.252.196
    7 19 ms 19 ms 14 ms 66.249.95.3
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 17 ms 50 ms 19 ms de-in-f105.1e100.net [74.125.24.105]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Boggy>

And what do we see on the 8th hop? Packet loss.

Drweavil wrote: »
    Results of trace route to www.google.com run at 09:40 16-2-13

C:\Users\Boggy>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.24.105]

2 26 ms 12 ms 10 ms 176.61.72.1
    3 14 ms 39 ms 18 ms 109.255.254.190
    4 15 ms 19 ms 22 ms 84.116.238.110
    5 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms 213.46.165.54
    6 22 ms 18 ms 16 ms 209.85.252.196
    7 19 ms 19 ms 14 ms 66.249.95.3
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 17 ms 50 ms 19 ms de-in-f105.1e100.net [74.125.24.105]

Trace complete.

And what do we see on the 8th hop? Packet loss.
    That's not on the UPC network, that's at least the second or third hop off the UPC network.

They won't look at that for consumer, they might troubleshoot for enterprise or government.

C:\Users\Boggy>tracert www.apple.com

Tracing route to e3191.dscc.akamaiedge.net [2.17.221.15]

2 13 ms 26 ms 16 ms 176.61.72.1
    3 20 ms 13 ms 12 ms 109.255.254.190
    4 45 ms 44 ms 47 ms 84.116.238.110
    5 * 42 ms 44 ms 84.116.137.74
    6 37 ms 41 ms 48 ms 84.116.136.102
    7 44 ms 57 ms 39 ms hu-bud02a-ra4-xe-3-0-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.

8 46 ms 41 ms 40 ms a92-123-77-225.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
    .123.77.225]
    9 37 ms 40 ms 39 ms 2.17.221.15

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Boggy>tracert www.apple.com

Tracing route to e3191.dscc.akamaiedge.net [2.17.221.15]

2 13 ms 26 ms 16 ms 176.61.72.1
    3 20 ms 13 ms 12 ms 109.255.254.190
    4 45 ms 44 ms 47 ms 84.116.238.110
    5 * 42 ms 44 ms 84.116.137.74
    6 37 ms 41 ms 48 ms 84.116.136.102
    7 44 ms 57 ms 39 ms hu-bud02a-ra4-xe-3-0-0.aorta.net [84.116.134.

8 46 ms 41 ms 40 ms a92-123-77-225.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
    .123.77.225]
    9 37 ms 40 ms 39 ms 2.17.221.15

Trace complete.

Try heanet

That's not on the UPC network, that's at least the second or third hop off the UPC network.

They won't look at that for consumer, they might troubleshoot for enterprise or government.

Without meaning to sound rude to you about it mate, I really don't care how they feel about it. They are the ISP and are responsible for network quality. My graph traces clearly show problems on every single hop, so while that simple tracert shows a single problem, the over time view clearly shows the problems are on UPC's network as well as their 3rd party connections.

I had similar problems in the UK years ago and BT solved the problem for me. If UPC has any interest in keeping me as a customer they need to solve this issue.

Without meaning to sound rude to you about it mate, I really don't care how they feel about it. They are the ISP and are responsible for network quality. My graph traces clearly show problems on every single hop, so while that simple tracert shows a single problem, the over time view clearly shows the problems are on UPC's network as well as their 3rd party connections.

I had similar problems in the UK years ago and BT solved the problem for me. If UPC has any interest in keeping me as a customer they need to solve this issue.
    If you read your contract you'll find they're actually only responsible for the quality if their own network and nothing beyond it.

From experience on the enterprise side you won't get very far on this of the issue is off their networks.

They can report it to the third party carrier but that's all they can really do.

And yes, you do come across rude.

• Advertisement

If you read your contract you'll find they're actually only responsible for the quality if their own network and nothing beyond it.

From experience on the enterprise side you won't get very far on this of the issue is off their networks.

They can report it to the third party carrier but that's all they can really do.

And yes, you do come across rude.

Whatever. As a follower of the scientific method I'm happy, when someone proves me wrong, at least that way I've learned something.

Clearly you do things differently.

Advertisement