Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Yeah, I think I might start talking to Eircom as this is outrageous in this day an age. I'll move all services to Eircom!

astrofluff wrote: »
    I've already hassled them by phone but I don't get far with the UPC techs. 'Talk to Brian' seems to be giving more info than the standard help desk guys. I've added to Audreyp's thread http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057152111

Guys, don't forget to share on the thread linked above also.

Three saving the day.

3321717564.png

If only we had 4G.....

1508531_702265483146707_1001805891_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rokyard

Response from @UPCIreland :

Hi. We've been advised that a fault has been identified and our technicians are working to resolve it. We don't have an estimated repair time yet, but hope to have service restored asap. Apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks, Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

LEIN wrote: »
    Three saving the day.

If only we had 4G.....

Or maybe Vodafone eFibre :)

3322149402.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

so heres the score .. UPC will try keep the network up ... during the day/off peak. you might even get anywhere 20 megs when most people are out and about.

Evenings? Forget about it. Broadband speeds will grind to a halt hitting the heady heights of two ... two mb. :eek: Puts a dial up connection to shame.

Meanwhile your friendly service provider will make vague assurances about engineers working on the issue at the moment and hoping to have the problem solved ASAP. oh and hoping to have network upgrades completed here in the near future. Thanks for bringing that to our notice within a window where people can break their contract due to a 15 percent rise for your 1mb broadband.

Meanwhile the advertising budget is a-okay. I have an unhealthy urge to shove my shiney thomson router up craig doyles smiley … yeah you get it idea.

Sorry for my rant Mods ... but sure if you're on UPC in Greystones it'll be 2015 before you see this message .. sorry .. I mean the near future ... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

doccy wrote: »
    so heres the score .. UPC will try keep the network up ... during the day/off peak. you might even get anywhere 20 megs when most people are out and about.

Evenings? Forget about it. Broadband speeds will grind to a halt hitting the heady heights of two ... two mb. :eek: Puts a dial up connection to shame.

Meanwhile your friendly service provider will make vague assurances about engineers working on the issue at the moment and hoping to have the problem solved ASAP. oh and hoping to have network upgrades completed here in the near future. Thanks for bringing that to our notice within a window where people can break their contract due to a 15 percent rise for your 1mb broadband.

Meanwhile the advertising budget is a-okay. I have an unhealthy urge to shove my shiney thomson router up craig doyles smiley … yeah you get it idea.

Sorry for my rant Mods ... but sure if you're on UPC in Greystones it'll be 2015 before you see this message .. sorry .. I mean the near future ... hopefully.

except that we've seen them putting in fibre ducting and they've said they're about to run fibre.

loyatemu wrote: »
    except that we've seen them putting in fibre ducting and they've said they're about to run fibre.

Grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Spoke to UPC customer loyalty team on Friday regarding cancelling my account, in particular how long I had left on the 30 day contract break. They agreed the service was poor at the moment but it was due to storm damage and beyond their control.

They had no information on the proposed new fibre connection to Charlesland but did promise to call back later that day to confirm if it was true or not. Still waiting for call back!

I have a technician coming out tomorrow to look at the broadband so it should be interesting to hear what bull**** they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

The service was bad before any of the storms hit us..

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

I spoke with UPC last Sunday, made a formal complaint that my previous ticket had been cancelled without informing me (network quality ticket). Due to the fact I made a complaint I was also due to get a call back.

As usual the wonderful people in UPC have failed on both counts, no call, no nothing.

*I'd written a diatribe here but I've removed it as my own personal feelings on the mgmt of UPC are now unpublishable

The service has been degrading for awhile but the storm definitely did damage. I never got such bad speeds at peak prior to that. From a personal point of view Ill be moving out of greystones in the summer anyway, so Im not going to commit to an 18 month eircom contract.

I presume the fibre connection is coming via bray? Mid to longer term that will be the only way UPC can fix this mess. if its true they are going to bring fibre to Charlesland, they are not going to waste money fixing/upgrading the current system. The problem is the way they are dealing with their customers right now is a disgrace, and doesn't instill confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

Was on to them earlier advised them of super slow speeds on laptop, xbox and phone. Ran UPC Speed test on cable connection and struggled to get over 3MB.

Here is my latest speed test:
    3326710960.png

They said they will have an engineer out to me on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

I've UPC booked in for a callout this morning & the technician just called to say he was on his way. He told me straight up he wouldn't be able to sort the broadband as it was a general problem rather than local to me & that he'd been getting it in the neck from customers for the last 14 days that's it's been down.
    He assured me though that the Charlesland upgrade IS being fastracked for completion and shoudl be completed by this Friday, at which point we'll all be able to get Horizon TV, 15Omb Broadband, 134 TV channels, TV On Demand.....sounded too good to be true but he told me that it's being kept low-key and letters are being posted out to us this week. It appears they're focusing on completing the switch to cable rather than trying to repair the existing service......will be interesting to see if my broadband improves by 149mb by Friday!!

Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

skelly22 wrote: »
    I've UPC booked in for a callout this morning & the technician just called to say he was on his way. He told me straight up he wouldn't be able to sort the broadband as it was a general problem rather than local to me & that he'd been getting it in the neck from customers for the last 14 days that's it's been down.
    He assured me though that the Charlesland upgrade IS being fastracked for completion and shoudl be completed by this Friday, at which point we'll all be able to get Horizon TV, 15Omb Broadband, 134 TV channels, TV On Demand.....sounded too good to be true but he told me that it's being kept low-key and letters are being posted out to us this week. It appears they're focusing on completing the switch to cable rather than trying to repair the existing service......will be interesting to see if my broadband improves by 149mb by Friday!!

...Sound too good to be true

domel wrote: »
    ...Sound too good to be true

That's what I thought. He said we should expect to see a flurry of little white UPC vans in the area over the next few days putting the final touches to the upgrade so we'll see what happens.

Has the cable been installed yet? I've only seen them laying the duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Just seen two white vans at the first roundabout at charlesland, looked like they where running cable. Fingers crossed we can be flying online next week lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Great news if it's true. I'm on the verge of heading elsewhere for my tv/broadband/phone package but if this happens, and quickly, I may be convinced to remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Rokyard

Ha! I got 7Mb today around 10am. I was grinning ear to ear :D... then caught myself! Grrrrr ONLY 7Mb.... I was switching and that was that :mad:.

However, if they manage to get 20x that speed by Friday then I'll probably stay with them but it'll be a bloody close call. Am exceptionally pissed off.

I do feel sorry for the individual technicians though. UPC as a whole has really messed up on customer goodwill here, by not addressing the issue directly and ensuring everyone ends up complaining online for so long, whilst Intentionally not resolving the exisitng problem. Even if they called a spade a spade and said
    It'll cost us too much time and money to fix it. We`ll Upgrade ye all in a week so Please bear with us.
    It would have been somewhat better. At least there was a Nice Shiney Carrot to keep peoples hope up! (although that probably wouldnt stop the complaining .... but it would definitely have been less!)

Can one of you good folk explain to me as I wouldn't be that clued in with computers etc..
    Once this fibre is layed down, then can I get other service providers like E-fibre fom eircom or will it just be upc..

I currently have my tv with sky (which is too pricey) and suppose to have BB and phone from UPC... Im way out of contract but way out of my depth...!

Sky said they could provide up to 24mb, which is fine for me as I dont download much/anything... Like us all I just want a constant, uninterrupted service..

Its mad how many things we need the internet for... Skype, net-flicks, spotify, IP Security Camera.. PS3. all of which are hardly usable since Christmas...

Fingers crossed the previous posts are all true..;)

Just off the phone with UPC Customer Service & had it confirmed to me that the Charlesland upgrade is currently being worked on. She didn't seem as confident about it being completed this Friday as the technician did this morning but nonetheless gave next week as a more likely completion date. Was told to call back around the middle of next week. Maybe this really is going to happen after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can one of you good folk explain to me as I wouldn't be that clued in with computers etc..
    Once this fibre is layed down, then can I get other service providers like E-fibre fom eircom or will it just be upc..

the fibre being discussed in this thread is just for UPC, but separately eircom are laying fibre around Greystones for their eFibre product, (which also allows you access to equivalent services from Vodafone, Digiweb etc).

Thanks for clearing that up for me...:)

I can't see the upgrade happening as early as Friday but I hope it's very soon as below just too poor.

Slower that 66% of IE? :eek:

3329357896.png

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

I can go one better

3329378894.png

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

As a non believer regarding the new fibre connection I received a call back at long last from UPC and they confirmed fibre will be in place by Friday, but then all the connections need to be upgraded.
    I was told that it could be up to 10 days before we are up and running on fibre.
    But on a positive note we should be able to access all of UPC packages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder if Eden gate and Eden wood will get the UPC upgrade too. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Finally got a letter from them about price increase (for me massive E0.01) which allows me to break contract earlier without any penalties :). Also got a leaflets with horizon tv bundles, but they probably sends it to all customers. Time to look around for new BB and phone provider.

Advertisement