Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options
  • 11-09-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just got a letter from UPC stating that they are going to be charging more for my broadband and the privilege of not getting any of their services that the rest of the UPC network enjoy.

That's really nice of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Are you availing of the loyalty discounts?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

astrofluff wrote: »
    Are you availing of the loyalty discounts?

What discounts?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

12 months basic telephony discount - €6.30 (This for not getting all the channels which Dublin can get i.e. Charlesland has MMDS)
    Loyalty Offer Discount off DTV for 12 months - €5 (This one for a multi-room box which is normally €6)
    Loyalty Offer Discount off Fruit n'Fibre Power Broadband - €5 (this just because they love me)

So over €16! Obviously a new contract when agreeing tieing you into 12 months. That's a saving of €195.60.

Depending on what package you want will dictate the level of discounts avalable. Just phone and say you're not happy and that you want to speak to the loyalty team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Thanks astrofluff, I didn't know anything about this.

12 months basic telephony discount - €6.30 (This for not getting all the channels which Dublin can get i.e. Charlesland has MMDS)
    Loyalty Offer Discount off DTV for 12 months - €5 (This one for a multi-room box which is normally €6)
    Loyalty Offer Discount off Fruit n'Fibre Power Broadband - €5 (this just because they love me)

So over €16! Obviously a new contract when agreeing tieing you into 12 months. That's a saving of €195.60.

Depending on what package you want will dictate the level of discounts avalable. Just phone and say you're not happy and that you want to speak to the loyalty team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

im still only paying €62 for 1 dvr set top, 2 standard set tops, digital select extra, 30Mb Broadband and a phone :D:D:D

they love me more!!

• Advertisement

How do they love you more - I didn't say how much it was costing me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Must say. i used to hate them. But they have dramatically improved and the broaband is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Has anyone got any idea when we are getting upgraded? Horizon is available in bray and it looks great. I would love to get everything through upc but I couldn't leave sky while upc is so crap down here. I also don't want eircom to roll out there fast fiber before upc do.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

wardie214 wrote: »
    Just got a letter from UPC stating that they are going to be charging more for my broadband and the privilege of not getting any of their services that the rest of the UPC network enjoy.

That's really nice of them.

This also happened me 6mths ago (my tv is with SKY) I only get/want broadband from UPC.

I called them, threatened to move to SKY Broadband & they gave me a discount on the condition I signed up for another year. Happy to give them a year as hopefully SKY will be fully up(graded) & running by then & I can banish UPC from my life forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

gramo wrote: »
    Has anyone got any idea when we are getting upgraded? Horizon is available in bray and it looks great. I would love to get everything through upc but I couldn't leave sky while upc is so crap down here. I also don't want eircom to roll out there fast fiber before upc do.

Don't think it will ever happen unless UPC put in a bit of cash and take us off the MMDS system currently in place...

• Advertisement

until they run a full cable service over bray head I don' think we will be. could be years at this rate.

I don't think UPC are interested in putting the cable in from Bray unless they have more customers than just Charlesland. This means (re-)cabling all the houses in Greystones. So here's another question, from being out and about in Greystones I see Tv cables traversing from house to house. So say for the likes of Rathdown Park, Redford Park, Hillside and Heathervue, is there an analogue service still running and who provides the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Any houses with cables are UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

I don't think UPC are interested in putting the cable in from Bray unless they have more customers than just Charlesland. This means (re-)cabling all the houses in Greystones. So here's another question, from being out and about in Greystones I see Tv cables traversing from house to house. So say for the likes of Rathdown Park, Redford Park, Hillside and Heathervue, is there an analogue service still running and who provides the service?
    Yes there's an analogue service, and it's provided by UPC. It's also unreliable garbage, as a matter of interest. It's so old I wouldn't be surprised if UPC's only source of replacement parts is Ebay.

In response to a post earlier about UPC upgrade plans, we had a UPC service call about 2 weeks ago. My wife asked the guy about upgrades, and he said he'd seen the upgrade plans for the next 2 years and nothing whatsoever was planned for anywhere around Greystones.

Alan_P wrote: »
    Yes there's an analogue service, and it's provided by UPC. It's also unreliable garbage, as a matter of interest. It's so old I wouldn't be surprised if UPC's only source of replacement parts is Ebay.

In response to a post earlier about UPC upgrade plans, we had a UPC service call about 2 weeks ago. My wife asked the guy about upgrades, and he said he'd seen the upgrade plans for the next 2 years and nothing whatsoever was planned for anywhere around Greystones.

Looks like I'll be switching over to eircom for better speeds..
    I see eircom are offering tv aswell. Anyone know anything about this?

they're slower?

24Mb from eircom vs 30Mb from UPC?

They offer up to 24m now.. I know none of the houses in charlesland can get that speed through the existing lines. Once they have finished the fiber rollout it will be up to 70m..

Am I wrong?

I wouldn't think so, FTTC is just about complete in the area and if they're only delivering 24 Mb now I would say that's all that will be available.

I would expect the 70mb service to be only available to densely populated city locations within a certain proximity to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I wouldn't think so, FTTC is just about complete in the area and if they're only delivering 24 Mb now I would say that's all that will be available.

I would expect the 70mb service to be only available to densely populated city locations within a certain proximity to the exchange.

THe whole point of fibre to the curb is that it removes the distance limitations of ADSL. The high speed should be available wherever they have the service.

yes, that it is the whole point of FTTC, but the full service will likely only be available in certain areas where its financially beneficial to eircom to roll it out. Otherwise they will run the 24 Mb service out.

So unless eircom are getting a couple of hundred requests from the charleslandians for the 100mb service it likely won't be rolled out there.

• Advertisement

My understanding from reading other forums is that its 50Mb (possible 20Mb put aside for TV). Any drop off in speed will be the quality of the copper from the cab to the router. One good thing about being in a relatively new estate is that the copper shouldn't be too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Any houses with cables are UPC

I'm amazed anyone is still using the UPC system (formerly Chorus, before that Martini) in Greystones - it was antiquated garbage 15 years ago.

We have the cables on the front of our house but I think virtually everyone on the road has satellite.

Last Friday I saw a white van a couple of times on the SAR between Charlesland and the swimming pool roundabout. While out yesterday I spotted a manhole cover with 'UPC' spray-painted with an arrow pointing towards Greystones (this is on the cycle track just after the factory roundabout heading back to Charlesland). Finger's cross it's for a full TV service with HD/Horizon?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

If so, they'll hopefully have all the kinks in the Horizon system sorted before the roll-out here.

If the pricing is right and the full 150M broadband is available to charlesland I would consider leaving sky.. have we a timeframe??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gramo wrote: »
    If the pricing is right and the full 150M broadband is available to charlesland I would consider leaving sky.. have we a timeframe??

is there even confirmation that they are going to bring the full service to Charlesland? I would've thought it is only possible if they upgrade the Greystones system at the same time, something they've given no indication of doing.

Seeing a white van and then seeing UPC spray painted are most likely two unconnected incidents. Maybe the factory got UPC in months ago?! But I live in hope! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Last Friday I saw a white van a couple of times on the SAR between Charlesland and the swimming pool roundabout. While out yesterday I spotted a manhole cover with 'UPC' spray-painted with an arrow pointing towards Greystones (this is on the cycle track just after the factory roundabout heading back to Charlesland). Finger's cross it's for a full TV service with HD/Horizon?!!

I'd say with the arrow pointing towards Greystones, UPC are probably more likely to be connecting Greystones village up to our broadband connection which would save them having to bring it down from Windgates... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Seeing a white van and then seeing UPC spray painted are most likely two unconnected incidents. Maybe the factory got UPC in months ago?! But I live in hope! :)

Just walked that stretch and saw several manhole covers, maybe 7 in total, with either UPC on them (or, just a symbol, that was also spray painted on the ones with UPC). These went from the first unused roundabout on the SRC all the way to the roundabout at the entrance to Charlesland. At the roundabout, there were also manholes with an "F" sprayed on them ("Fibre"?), on both sides of the road and into the entrance of the estate.

• Advertisement

I think the F is Foul sewer - the quality of that line is sh.....

Advertisement