Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Mine's being crappy tonight

yep. was crashing a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Maybe the wind is affecting the microwave link off the roof of Seabourne View?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Anyone else having issues this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Yeap, Keeps dropping and then being very slow...

Same as last week.. UPC used to be great but in recent times have gone poor..:(

• Advertisement

Mine's not working at all. I have the mobile tethered to the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

LEIN wrote: »
    Mine's not working at all. I have the mobile tethered to the PC.

Mines not working either. Restarted the router but no joy.

I'll give them call when I get home if there's no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ronang

Have re-started the router three times so far. Varying between speeds of nothing, 5/6meg and nearly 20meg.

And for this quality service, we'll be paying more -> http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/upc-increases-charges-for-second-time-in-12-months-1.1666815

I've been on hold for 15 minutes now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Mine seems to be back up and running up here in Eden Gate. Was bad for an hour or so.

I gave up after 24 minutes on hold.
    Mine seems to be back up and running up here in Eden Gate. Was bad for an hour or so.

It seems fine here in Charlesland now too.

I feel that there are issues that need to be addressed by UPC as the service since Christmas has been very patchy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

I feel that there are issues that need to be addressed by UPC as the service since Christmas has been very patchy at best.

Agreed. To be honest, I'm waiting to see if Sky piggy backs onto eircom's efibre rollout. If they do, I will jump ship.

I have started a thread over on the UPC Forum.

Will folk that are having similar issues please post and back me up. The more that complain, the quicker UPC fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

What the ...? Are you on fibre?

nightrave wrote: »
    What the ...? Are you on fibre?

That's not a Greystones result. 30 is the most we can get.

very dodgy connection tonight...it is always happening when it's windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

this is crazy. are they using sat antennas for upc?

lol

sent from my cellphone as upc is down

The fault was reported fixed over on the upc forum. We have to keep the pressure on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

Having the same issue, just keeps dropping, then slow, always when its windy. Rang tech support just now...25mins on hold, 10 min on the support guy to be old there are no issues and everything is working fine lol....wait until it's less windy and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tp25 wrote: »
    this is crazy. are they using sat antennas for upc?
    Isn't it a microwave link?

Information I've gleaned from UPC over the years is that it's MMDS from the roof of Seabourne View to either Windgates or Kindlestown Wood. There's a second antenna in Charlesland Wood which has always carried the TV since the estate was built. The two services are combined at a box in Charlesland Wood making up the BB and TV hybrid service distributed over coax to each home. Don't ask where the fibre element is - haven't a clue but we get 30Mb tops anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it's anything like the situation in Bray until a couple of years ago, UPC shared a cable duct that connected Bray to the rest of their network via Shankill with eircom. Now eircom didn't have a problem with that as long as UPC only offered TV services, but if they offered broadband and phone as well that was in direct competition so didn't allow it. This meant that UPC had to dig their own cable duct and lay new fibre to enable them to offer these services in Bray. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that this is the same thing going on here as there is possibly only one cable duct going over Windgates, and that belongs to eircom.

Anyone else get a letter to say their subscription has increased?

Mine is going up by €4.02.

The reason is because their super fast 200MB BB, on-demand, HD and Horizon operation costs and as far as I know we can get none of these, unless it changed over night.

I rang them fuming, almost spitting fire and the answer was tough sh1t pal, you're on your own. (In all fairness to the rep, he held his cool at me going off the deep end)

I wouldn't mind the increase if we had any of the above but because we only get a small fraction of what cable customers get I am not paying.

It's the final nail in the coffin now. Sky and Eircom for TV and BB. My contract was up in September, they have just terminated it.

Sorry for the rant but I am absolutely fuming at the utter cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Anyone else get a letter to say their subscription has increased?

Mine is going up by €4.02.

The reason is because their super fast 200MB BB, on-demand, HD and Horizon operation costs and as far as I know we can get none of these, unless it changed over night.

I rang them fuming, almost spitting fire and the answer was tough sh1t pal, you're on your own. (In all fairness to the rep, he held his cool at me going off the deep end)

I wouldn't mind the increase if we had any of the above but because we only get a small fraction of what cable customers get I am not paying.

It's the final nail in the coffin now. Sky and Eircom for TV and BB. My contract was up in September, they have just terminated it.

Sorry for the rant but I am absolutely fuming at the otter cheek of them

Looks like you need to just keep your cool! I rung them up a week or two ago, said I wasn't happy as those new services weren't available to me, and they gave me a decent %'age discount that means when the price goes up (8.50 in my case) I'll actually be paying less than I am now. Plus for next two months I'm paying the lower current rate, minus the discount!

This is my third or fourth increase in a row I've managed to wipe out. I'm playing less now that I was before the first increase went through. ;) okay I've to keep signing up to new contracts of 12 months, but that's grand, I ain't going nowhere.

NC

Newcomers1 wrote: »
    Looks like you need to just keep your cool! I rung them up a week or two ago, said I wasn't happy as those new services weren't available to me, and they gave me a decent %'age discount that means when the price goes up (8.50 in my case) I'll actually be paying less than I am now. Plus for next two months I'm paying the lower current rate, minus the discount!

This is my third or fourth increase in a row I've managed to wipe out. I'm playing less now that I was before the first increase went through. ;) okay I've to keep signing up to new contracts of 12 months, but that's grand, I ain't going nowhere.

NC

Yes, Iv'e been down that road with them as I told them before that I am not paying for stuff that's not available in my area so my loyalty discount was already at the maximum stage so I can like the price increase or PFO.

So in light of them trying to shaft me, I'm in the process of looking at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Got put through to the customer loyalty team earlier. Got my package upgraded and will be paying €10 less than I am now, even with the price increase.

While I had them on, I asked about Horizon. She said there is nothing on the system for planned upgrades to the service and also that it would only give a date if it was within a year. Killer to think how little we're getting for the same money, but what I'm paying as of today is a little less than the comparible Sky package. I'm not bothered about HD, which is probably the only thing that is keeping UPC in the house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Peehadc

I got the horizon marketing flyer thru the post last week (having asked previously to be removed off mailing list). Already knowing that it's not available in CL, I rang up querying why should we pay extra to avail of services we can't get to which the UPC rep try to hawk cabled BB on me. Explaining I was happy with a std connection & had a monitored alarm which wouldn't be monitored anymore if I switched (without complex work around) the mood darkened. Tough luck in the long term. No plans in the pipe line. Now assuming 90% UPC penetration in CL (with 10% 'illegal in the mgmt company eyes' Sky dishes) with ~€50/month subs, doing the sums is close to €60k a month coming out of CL to UPC. For me the lack of choice/competetion is the hardest thing to stomach before feeling like we're being taken for a ride. An MMDS system in 2014 is a farce. Rumours of alleged legal roadblocks thrown up by UPC to block Sky's intoduction into CL don't help this company either (source: mgmt company). Short of erecting a dish were stuck with sub standard TV in the very, very long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Peehadc wrote: »
    Short of erecting a dish were stuck with sub standard TV in the very, very long term.
    Perhaps eircom's TV service will provide a better alternative? I'll be looking into it once the efibre is wired up in my part of the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

No one has the right to stop you erecting a dish as the entire country is covered by blanket planning. Only listed buildings in certain areas are not allowed

Advertisement