Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    I can confirm lakeroad's info as I have received the communication letter this morning. There'll be a dedicated team but the phone number will still be 1908. The web address is http://www.upc.ie/charlesland/

For the 'NTL' branded boxes, they won't work on the new system. So you will need a new box to replace that one. For all recording boxes, your current TV planner recording settings will be wiped - you won't lose your existing recordings though. You'll just have to set recordings up again.

I got same letter yesterday. It will be an interesting evening on the 10th of June.

Eponymous wrote: »
    I wonder if I need to get onto them now about my broadband speed or wait to see if it resolves itself come the switchover to fibre?

What issue do you have with speed. It might be very local to you as my speed is perfect as is others in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Anyone know if Eden gate will get this upgrade? No leaflet yesterday or today in the mailbox.

I got the leaflet for Eden Wood yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

My BB Has been down for the day in the grove. Anyone else?

conlof wrote: »
    My BB Has been down for the day in the grove. Anyone else?

No problems in the Wood. Reset your UPC equipment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Yes. I did the Daddy pig trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I rang yesterday about getting the Horizon box.

First of all he said we're MMDS and that we can't get horizon. When I told him I had received a letter stating that we were being switched to Fibre on 10/6/14 he said "Oh, that's news to me".

In any event, one can't order Horizon until the switch has been made, he said and it's up on their systems. They will accept €90 of your hard-earned cash for the new box and he said it wouldn't really matter if we were mid-contract (I just upgraded a few months ago).

First of all he said we're MMDS and that we can't get horizon. When I told him I had received a letter stating that we were being switched to Fibre on 10/6/14 he said "Oh, that's news to me".

In any event, one can't order Horizon until the switch has been made, he said and it's up on their systems. They will accept €90 of your hard-earned cash for the new box and he said it wouldn't really matter if we were mid-contract (I just upgraded a few months ago).

They have 2 chances of getting that sort of money out of me.

Slim to none and slim just left town.

It's a bit of a kick in the balls alright, having put up with a pretty poor service and a premium for 10 years.

It may be a case of waiting til close to the end of my current term and then telling them free box or off to Sky. That said, the only thing the box actually brings to the party is the ability to record four times more crap than I'm currently able to, all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

I got their top "Horizon Complete Bundle" about 4 months ago...

The 200MB is just "WHOOSH" , I have never seen anything like it,, if I liked Game of Thrones and knew where to grab an episode, a 720p file "might" download in 32 seconds, thats for a 1.87GB mkv file ,, Not that I would know what to do with an MKV File,,,

I don't drink or smoke nor does my wife, so we have an extra TV box in our bedroom, and an extra box in my sons bedroom, They gave us all recording boxes, but the one in the sitting room is the big Horizon one.. It can work as the wifi hub, but because we have the pc upstairs, they gave us a wifi modem/router also, and at no extra cost.

There is too many channels to watch,, and the HD channels look great on the 720p tv,, why buy a 1080p tv when only 720p is comming down the pipe..

The Horizon Complete Bundle also comes with a good home phone package..
    Free local and national fixed landline calls
    400 minutes per month to fixed landline numbers in 22 international destinations and USA and Canadian mobile numbers.

My wifes sisters live in (two) UK and one in USA so she is always on the bloody phone, but the bill wont kill you at the end of the month.

I never thought that the old "N T Hell" would some day turn into this gem, yes I did say "GEM" ,, No limit calls, no limit or download cap on your broadband use,, and 200mb down,,

Other places in the world might look at this and wish,,,

• Advertisement

Whoever you were talking to in UPC, doesn't know their arse from their elbow.

A number of colleagues I work with have Horizon, some of which got very recently, never paid a cent for the box.

UPC give you a loan of the box and take it back if you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

All their packages online for Horizon have Free Connection for new customers only - While they have you by the you know what, they'll try and take a few quid off you for an upgrade. If on the other hand you are out of contract, or nearing the end of one, I'm sure the loyalty team would be happy to waive said fee. You'll have to hard-ball them to get it for free I reckon.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Yeah, I see that now. It's an activation fee rather that a fee for the box. €90 for them to press a button.

Wise move by them to offer faster BB with a new 12 month contract only a couple of months ago, I know some here including myself only started a new contract last month or the month before.

Very crafty in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

LEIN wrote: »
    Yeah, I see that now. It's an activation fee rather that a fee for the box. €90 for them to press a button.

Wise move by them to offer faster BB with a new 12 month contract only a couple of months ago, I know some here including myself only started a new contract last month or the month before.

Very crafty in my opinion.

You can always break contract if upgrading to a better service, which this is. They've been clear about the along the way, and thankfully after talking them today, they haven't changed! Phew!

However, they want €90 for the pleasure of pressing a button in HQ. If we had a bit of leverage we could get a better deal. Some of us are just about 2 months into a 12 month contract as a result of upgrading our BB back in April.

I could be wrong but I feel it was a sneaky move.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm trying to remember my last conversation with them when renewing about upgrading to HD and I think what they were saying is that I could upgrade to the HD package for a few extra euro (think it was 4 euro or something modest like that). I'm sure they have the conversation recorded so I'll remind them about it. If I want an HD package and still have the old Plus recorder box, they'll need to provide a HD one i.e. Horizon?! Well see how it pans out.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember my last conversation with them when renewing about upgrading to HD and I think what they were saying is that I could upgrade to the HD package for a few extra euro (think it was 4 euro or something modest like that). I'm sure they have the conversation recorded so I'll remind them about it. If I want an HD package and still have the old Plus recorder box, they'll need to provide a HD one i.e. Horizon?! Well see how it pans out.

There are no HD boxes any more, it's all Horizon now.

As you said, we will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Hi Folks

UPC update:

Here is the dedicated UPC phone number for Charlesland Residents to contact about the upgrade options - 1890 940635

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if you ring that number can you pre-order Horizon, or do we have to wait for the 10th as the general UPC workers say? Have already clarified that I can upgrade to horizon for the same price I am paying now for UPC, so don't want to ring to be told the same thing and to call back on the 10th to actually order.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

if you ring that number can you pre-order Horizon, or do we have to wait for the 10th as the general UPC workers say? Have already clarified that I can upgrade to horizon for the same price I am paying now for UPC, so don't want to ring to be told the same thing and to call back on the 10th to actually order.

Nope, they just told me that someone would be calling me over the next few days. Nothing they could do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 seamountains

Hi all, I got a letter the other day telling me about changes I need to make to my TV by 10th June 2014. I'm not a technical person, and I can't figure out from the letter whether I need to do anything or not. I have just the basic package from UPC, and I don't record anything. So all I want to know is will my TV go blank if I don't adjust it by 10th June? If I don't do anything will it continue to work as a standard TV? Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi All

Right about now, we’re contacting all our customers in Charlesland to inform you about switching on our full fibre services in your area.

This means that you will now be able to receive full Horizon TV services, and speeds up to 200Mbps.

In a nutshell that means that UPC will now be able to offer you the fastest speeds available in your area, at the best price bundle – guaranteed.

If you would like to remain with your current services unchanged, then that’s fine, you may need to make a couple of changes, as detailed on the letter and on this webpage http://www.upc.ie/charlesland/ Just call 1908 and we can look after you.

However, if you would like to upgrade your services to either faster speeds or to a new Horizon bundle, please feel free to call our dedicated team on 1890 940 635, and we will look after you straight away and advise you of our special free upgrade offer (saving you €90 once ordered via this team).

Regards

UPC: Jason

Thanks for the info Jason.

Hi all, I got a letter the other day telling me about changes I need to make to my TV by 10th June 2014. I'm not a technical person, and I can't figure out from the letter whether I need to do anything or not. I have just the basic package from UPC, and I don't record anything. So all I want to know is will my TV go blank if I don't adjust it by 10th June? If I don't do anything will it continue to work as a standard TV? Help!

When we switch from MMDS to cable, we will need to retune as I would imagine the channel frequencies will be different.

It's straight forward enough, the letter you received should have a step by step guide and you can also follow the guide from the link that Jason posted.

If you have problems, call 1908 on the day for a customer care rep to talk you through but I guarantee you won't need them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamountains

Thanks Lein, I have read the letter again and it all seems straight forward enough.

Rang UPC today on the number given by Jason. The rep I was speaking to had to put me on hold to check the offer and when he came back it was all sorted.

It's a self install package, box will arrive he reckons on 9th we can install on 10th, once it's gone live.

Gone with the Horizon Complete package which includes 200mb BB. €80 per month, second box is extra so we're keeping our old Digital + box in order to keep the recordings on it (there's a lot of Sophia the First and Disney movies that someone might not be best pleased to lose!).

:)

Got more UPC post today. Very impressed with communication so far.

Got more UPC post today. Very impressed with communication so far.

UPC have taken out a full page advert in next weeks Wicklow Times to notify residents of the change over.
    Have to agree they are making a big effort.

UPC upgrade tomorrow:

Our network upgrade in your area will be completed tomorrow. Don't forget you will need to retune your UPC set-top box tomorrow to restore your service. Simply follow the steps in the retune guide provided, also available at www.upc.ie/charlesland. Please use activation code 321 for this retune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

When we switch from MMDS to cable, we will need to retune as I would imagine the channel frequencies will be different.

It's straight forward enough, the letter you received should have a step by step guide and you can also follow the guide from the link that Jason posted.

If you have problems, call 1908 on the day for a customer care rep to talk you through but I guarantee you won't need them. :)

Gonna have to call 1908 Lein, retune was going fine till I got to the channel search at which point I was told "Channel Search Unsuccessful" so now I have no channels at all.....typical!!

Advertisement