Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Does this make me second after Astro?

3426021488.png

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

LEIN wrote: »

3426021488.png

Better post it in eFibre thread you'll be first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

3426021488.png

You were saying?!

3426259886.png :D

Feck me... just downloaded a full Ubuntu CD iso from HEANET in less than 45 seconds... :D

JanneG wrote: »
    You were saying?!

3426211255.png :D

lol, my network card can take no more! That's my max!

• Advertisement

lol, my network card can take no more! That's my max!

Time to upgrade your machine as well so... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I did another speed test the other evening, and it topped out at 123Mb again. I think I could go faster if I was on the 200Mb package..

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I did another speed test the other evening, and it topped out at 123Mb again. I think I could go faster if I was on the 200Mb package..

you think? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I gave them a call earlier, BB increased to 120Mb with new modem coming tomorrow and a price decrease.

He said that the upgrade is ongoing and that Horizon will be available in a month or two.

I'd recommend a call, they will make you an offer and you can decide to take it or leave it.

Done..same package but €11 on average cheaper a month. Happy Days..!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Done..same package but €11 on average cheaper a month. Happy Days..!:)

How did you guys start the convo?

I rang and said I was interested in Horizon but heard it wasn't available here, and that with efibre now available and faster I wasn't sure why I should stay with UPC.

Maybe I just got the wrong guy, but he only said Horizon was not available, sorry about that.

Should I have just said "give me 120Mbps for less money"? Should I have contacted support instead of sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Ask for the loyalty team.

How did you guys start the convo?

I rang and said I was interested in Horizon but heard it wasn't available here, and that with efibre now available and faster I wasn't sure why I should stay with UPC.

Maybe I just got the wrong guy, but he only said Horizon was not available, sorry about that.

Should I have just said "give me 120Mbps for less money"? Should I have contacted support instead of sales?

I asked about Horizon and was told it's not available and he automatically talked about upgrading BB. Call again and ask about BB.

FirstIn wrote: »
    Ask for the loyalty team.

Result, thanks for the tip.

I'm on hold but I think he just told me I'll be getting 120Mbps BB, digital TV, phone and a second TV box for 74 e. (14 euro off 88, which I guess is the retail price at the moment? Dunno, but I think I've been on around 105 / month before now, so it's a big savings...)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Hmmm...

So up and running... Great stuff...

However I was wondering could my old cisco epc2425 be used as a repeater now for better coverage..?
    I've looked in to it but to be honest they may as well be talking Chinese..

Fingers crossed it can be..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Hmmm...

So up and running... Great stuff...

However I was wondering could my old cisco epc2425 be used as a repeater now for better coverage..?
    I've looked in to it but to be honest they may as well be talking Chinese..

Fingers crossed it can be..

Dont think it has repeater mode.

BTW
    3439341705.png:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Hi Folks, I received a call today from a Customer loyalty rep to let me know we will have the full UPC service including Horizon in the first week of June. Just in time for the World Cup! Full HD.
    A marketing letter will be sent to all UPC customers in Charlesland at end of May. Have to say this is brilliant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

UPC launch Phone-App and Wi-Free

Thursday, 17th April 2014 10.23am

Broadband and communications supplier UPC today launched two new services, Horizon Phone App and Horizon Wi-Free.

Horizon Phone App is free to use and download that allows customers to use their smartphones to make calls using their UPC Home Phone call pack.

It can be used everywhere Wi-Fi is available, at home or abroad, avoiding expensive roaming costs.

Horizon Wi-Free is also a free service which gives UPC broadband customers the freedom to seamlessly connect their smartphone or tablet in another UPC broadband household using a second, separate Wi-Fi network.

Wi-Free means that you don't have to ask your host for their Wi-Fi password or use expensive 3/4G. When customers set their device to connect once, it will automatically connect every time after that. The service does not impact the broadband speed, usage or security of the home user, and up to five people can connect to each Horizon Wi-Free hot spot at a time.

Ronan McEvoy, Head of Consumer Products, UPC Ireland said, "Both services were successfully trialled with thousands of UPC customers since January, and are now ready to share with all UPC customers. Many families will be interested in these products to help to save money on their own or their children's mobile phones. Horizon Phone App allows customers to get the very most from their Home Phone call plan, while the Horizon Wi-Free service means you can still enjoy the benefits of our Fibre Powered Broadband when you're visiting friends, and avoid expensive data charges on your mobile."

lakeroad wrote: »
    including Horizon

Thanks for the info lakeroad.

I just done some research... It didn't make for great reading....

Look at the many threads here.

When the time comes I will be asking for internet and WiFi to be disabled on the Horizon box and keeping the most recent router they gave me....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea if or when UPC Horizon will be available in Delgany Woods?

Moving there beginning of June and need to find the best TV/Internet combination.

Thanks.

lakeroad wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I received a call today from a Customer loyalty rep to let me know we will have the full UPC service including Horizon in the first week of June. Just in time for the World Cup! Full HD.
    A marketing letter will be sent to all UPC customers in Charlesland at end of May. Have to say this is brilliant news.

Has anyone heard any more on this?

• Advertisement

nope...no sign of any fibre pulling yet.

I'm almost certain that the fibre has already been pulled.

Order%20UPC%20Products.png

When I upgraded my service a couple of weeks ago, they sent me a new set top box in addition to a new modem. I wasn't expecting that. I haven't hooked it up yet because the existing box is fine and has lots of recordings on the DVR, but I'm wondering if the new one is a "Horizon box".

Nope - looks like a slightly newer standard digital STB/DVR. The remote is not the fancy one in the Horizon demo on Youtube .

I'm almost certain that the fibre has already been pulled.

what makes you think that?

During the original duct work, cable was laid as I can remember seeing the reel attached to the back of a van and I also find it hard to believe that 200Mb is possible without fibre.

was it any particular colour like what eircom put in?...I was expecting to see one of those with a big orange-coated cable spooled off a trailer!

astrofluff wrote: »
    was it any particular colour like what eircom put in?...I was expecting to see one of those with a big orange-coated cable spooled off a trailer!

That's what I seen, can't remember the colour though. :o

• Advertisement

Well that sounds promising. Perhaps its the head-end gear they need to install for Horizon and HD to work. I take it then that the broadband is 'cabled-up' while the TV is still in hybrid mode using MMDS.

Advertisement