Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I'm having problems using it with Chrome. Firefox is ok. Strange!?

Call 1908 to pay your bill. It's all automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

LEIN wrote: »
    I'm having problems using it with Chrome. Firefox is ok. Strange!?

They use different engines, so it's not unusual for something to work in one and not the other, unfortunately.

Have the upgraded broadband speeds been stable then or is it still very up and down? Worrying to think that the whole process was rushed just to slow the flow of customers to eFibre. Hopefully no shortcuts were taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Drweavil wrote: »
    Doubtful, generally routers aren't configured to be that smart. Their primary function is routing traffic so adding a layer of security over your network only adds complexity and slows it down. If you're going to block icmp then you'd do it on a firewall. Plus you'd also see a bang X or bang H in a trace route (!X,!H) showing that it's a rule violation rather than a fault.

While blocking icmp is common practice on firewalls, I don't see it as the problem this time.

Actually they are....

It's very easy to deny icmp packets on any cisco router!

(Ccna qualified and all that!)

Specific command would be:
    Deny icmp any any

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Confused now....Ordered BB upgrade to 120mb and HD on Wednesday and received a call today to say both were not available yet! Has anybody in Charlesland actually got 120mb BB and HD up and running?

lakeroad wrote: »
    Confused now....Ordered BB upgrade to 120mb and HD on Wednesday and received a call today to say both were not available yet! Has anybody in Charlesland actually got 120mb BB and HD up and running?

As far as I know, some folks got a BB upgrade, although, I've not seen many good results yet with Astro coming best so far.
    astrofluff wrote: »
    New contract - I won't post what I achieved because 1. I don't want to get anyone else's hopes up, and 2. I don't want to feel bad if someone achieves better than me!

Apparently, 120Mb is available. So a little short of 120Mb I know but still way better than anything before, even with the wind blowing as it is ATM!

3392429753.png

Robert was due instillation of HD tomorrow.
    Robertr wrote: »
    Will see what they bring on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I got install done today in the Grove. Just standard TV (no HD available even though they let me order it) but I did get the 200mb Broadband. Did a test earlier today and got about 140mb so was happy enough.

So it's confirmed. The only upgrade is BB.

Will that be all? Time will tell....

I'm 5 months away from being contact free so I think 30Mb will be fine for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Sorry to hear the HD isn't here yet but it is as I suspected. Still no sign of the fibre being pulled. I reckon there could be a hold up in contract agreements with WCC about the ductwork??

My speed this evening on 120Mb service:

3402802114.png

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Sorry to hear the HD isn't here yet but it is as I suspected. Still no sign of the fibre being pulled. I reckon there could be a hold up in contract agreements with WCC about the ductwork??

3402802114.png

Top spot in the pissing competition is now officially Astro's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

3402802114.png

I know the number seems so so, but try to change server to US/ Australia, Germany or anything outside Ireland :)

anyway great result as for Irish providers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 michaelb82

I've come across a weird occurrence. It would be great if others could try this and see if it happens to them. Particularly in the Crescent.

Here is what happened.

BB speed was 30Mbit/s and the TV was off but the digital+ box was on.
    Checked speed twice in quick succession and it was 29 - 31 Mbit/s.

I then turned the TV on (not the Digital+ box as that was already on) and speed dropped to 12Mbit/s.

I then turned the TV off and the speed jumped back up to 31Mbit/s.

It definitely appears that turning the TV on and off affects my broadband speed. A similar thing happened yesterday but I didn't try the TV just the Digital+ box.

Anyone else seeing it?

Thanks,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

michaelb82 wrote: »
    I've come across a weird occurrence. It would be great if others could try this and see if it happens to them. Particularly in the Crescent.

Here is what happened.

BB speed was 30Mbit/s and the TV was off but the digital+ box was on.
    Checked speed twice in quick succession and it was 29 - 31 Mbit/s.

I then turned the TV on (not the Digital+ box as that was already on) and speed dropped to 12Mbit/s.

I then turned the TV off and the speed jumped back up to 31Mbit/s.

It definitely appears that turning the TV on and off affects my broadband speed. A similar thing happened yesterday but I didn't try the TV just the Digital+ box.

Anyone else seeing it?

Thanks,
    Michael.

Could be a faulty box of coax splitter sending some feedback up the line.

Contact upc and let them know that when your tv box is on your broadband speed drops and they will send an engineer out to check the connections and replace the tv box

• Registered Users Posts: 46 michaelb82

I tried moving the router power plug onto a different socket and it still doesn't seem to make much difference. We only had the box replaced about a month ago and that was before the upgrade. The problem predates the box so I think it may be a coax interference problem. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

So today is the 1st of April and we still don't have full UPC availability???

That's what was said will be the case by the end of March if I'm not mistaken. Full availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I did speak to one of the engineers on the road a couple of weeks back, he said they should have the fibre pulled by end of March with full suite of services available in April. But nothing in terms of fibre pulling has happened since. I'm not so worried about their TV service as nothing has changed there. The problem was the poor broadband but that's been sorted out now. It doesn't mean they're off the hook, it just means I can put up with it till the end of April ;)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

So today is the 1st of April and we still don't have full UPC availability???

That's what was said will be the case by the end of March if I'm not mistaken. Full availability?

Did they say what year though?

JanneG wrote: »
    Did they say what year though?

Very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Would those of you using Upc broadbrand recommend it? Thinking of switching from Eircom as the signal hasnt been great the last few months. There are other options like sky but we already have tv with upc so makes sense to bundle it. I have my issues with upc from a customer service view so not sure I even want to give them more business especially since they just increased their prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

girl24 wrote: »
    Would those of you using Upc broadbrand recommend it? Thinking of switching from Eircom as the signal hasnt been great the last few months. There are other options like sky

Just so you know Sky broadband comes in over the eircom next gen line so if your service is bad on eircom it will be equally bad on sky or worse and it has to go through sky before it hits the eircom exchange meaning more latency on the line.

As regards UPC latelty its been flying.
    I am on 30mb line and I get average of 19MB on my iPhone.
    I can stream radio uninterrupted, watch netflix and surf all at the same time with no issue (for now)

Also UPC now offer 120MB line where as Sky is over eircom so its 24MB contended at 24:1 vs UPC of 16:1

Techy_1 wrote: »
    Just so you know Sky broadband comes in over the eircom next gen line so if your service is bad on eircom it will be equally bad on sky or worse and it has to go through sky before it hits the eircom exchange meaning more latency on the line.

As regards UPC latelty its been flying.
    I am on 30mb line and I get average of 19MB on my iPhone.

I can stream radio uninterrupted, watch netflix and surf all at the same time with no issue (for now)

Also UPC now offer 120MB line where as Sky is over eircom so its 24MB contended at 24:1 vs UPC of 16:1

Agreed, my average is between 25 to 30 wired with near 32 at off peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Would those of you using Upc broadbrand recommend it? Thinking of switching from Eircom as the signal hasnt been great the last few months. There are other options like sky but we already have tv with upc so makes sense to bundle it. I have my issues with upc from a customer service view so not sure I even want to give them more business especially since they just increased their prices!

I have never had any real issue with upc, you just can't beat the speed. I'm on 200 now and it's great. The odd switching on and off of the router but that's it.

gramo wrote: »
    I have never had any real issue with upc, you just can't beat the speed. I'm on 200 now and it's great. The odd switching on and off of the router but that's it.

Can you take top spot from Astro with a speed test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Thanks for the feedback. Id like to ideally get 3 in 1 bundle of tv, phone and broadband but I think we need the phoneline with eircom as its linked with our alarm, if it goes off it automatically rings us to tell us its going off. Is there any way around this? The upc phone is wireless as far as I know so can this still work for the alarm? I can get just a tv and broadband package if it wont work but would be easier to get all 3 under 1 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

Thanks for the feedback. Id like to ideally get 3 in 1 bundle of tv, phone and broadband but I think we need the phoneline with eircom as its linked with our alarm, if it goes off it automatically rings us to tell us its going off. Is there any way around this? The upc phone is wireless as far as I know so can this still work for the alarm? I can get just a tv and broadband package if it wont work but would be easier to get all 3 under 1 price.

Upc line should work, problem is that it is IP based phone line and you will need a wire from your alarm panel to UPC modem, another solution is to switch to GSM dialers with pay as you go card. Installed few of them for friends, advantage of GSM dialers is that you can control your alarm system as well (by txt msg)

Also whoever is on 30Mb line it is worth to give them a shout to upgrade for FREE to 120Gb, they upgraded me no problem.

Just off the phone with UPC after checking what the story would be regarding a speed upgrade...

Increasing the speed to 120Mb, staying with the exact same package (with regards to anytime calls & international calls) and getting a new modem, will actually save me €3.50 per month... (Or for the sticklers, bring me back down to pre-increase prices)

Best thing though is that the discounts I got back before Christmas, when complaining about the speeds, are still valid for the rest of that 12 month period :D

Sure, we had a couple of bad weeks, but they did deal with it, upgraded the system and discounted the bill to say sorry.

Still a happy camper here... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Techy_1

JanneG wrote: »
    Just off the phone with UPC after checking what the story would be regarding a speed upgrade...

Increasing the speed to 120Mb, staying with the exact same package

Did you need to sign up to a 12 month contract to get the 120mb broadband?

Yes, as it's a new contract. However, I'm only 4 months in to a 12 month contract already, so in essence only extended my current period by 4 months.

You will always be put on a 12 month contract with any upgrades.

I gave them a call earlier, BB increased to 120Mb with new modem coming tomorrow and a price decrease.

He said that the upgrade is ongoing and that Horizon will be available in a month or two.

I'd recommend a call, they will make you an offer and you can decide to take it or leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

I gave them a call earlier, BB increased to 120Mb with new modem coming tomorrow and a price decrease.

He said that the upgrade is ongoing and that Horizon will be available in a month or two.

I'd recommend a call, they will make you an offer and you can decide to take it or leave it.

May give them a ring later so.. See what I can get...

Advertisement