Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facts of life you've found to be true

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It's a phrase used without any thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You could easily turn that on it's head and say those who can't teach "do", and those who can teach, will do a lot more.

Yeh, and if I wasn't able to do something chances are I'd be a pretty terrible teacher of it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

PingO_O wrote: »
    Yeh, and if I wasn't able to do something chances are I'd be a pretty terrible teacher of it as well.

I speeky dee engish gut! Nau I teech! I charg u gut prize!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I speeky dee engish gut! Nau I teech! I charg u gut prize!

Meh good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

<<<< These Far Side avatars are hilarious and I don't understand why nobody uses them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Compu Global Hyper Meganet

The rich keep on getting richer

The world smiles on you if you are good looking

Contrary to popular belief, you can tell a book by its cover (Knew 50 shades of Grey & Twilight would be abominations on sight long before I knew what they were actually about)

Patriotism is the lowest form of ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

When you sit at a poker table, if you can't spot the sucker in the first thirty minutes... you ARE the sucker.

Every person has their price, it just might not necessarily be money.

It is amazing how quickly people can turn on you.

Especially in Ireland, it is not what you know, but who you know. The levels of nepotism and the "old-boy-network"-wrangling in this country is just sickening. It happens everywhere, but is particularly endemic to Ireland.

People have very short memories for the good things you do in life. But every single mistake and bad thing (even inadvertent) are remembered for eternity.

It is amazing how singing along to your favourite songs can actually cheer you up and put you in a better mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hard embarrassing fact: Michael D Higgins is an embarrassing little ork as a figure head of our country. Seriously...dress him up in a little green suit and ginger beard and just listen to him!!! And why has every Government party leader of this s**thole had the most embarrassingly non masculine name Berty? Enda? Amongst the rest of the heads of state on European t.v.? The only one who had a decent name had a face like a plumbers toolbag/ pitbull licking piss off a nettle!

Feel better after a good hard rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

IvaBigWun wrote: »

That its hard, nigh impossible, to win an argument with a woman.

I've honestly always found it pretty easy. They get so emotional/hysterical that's it's easy to twist what they blurt out in the heat of the moment.

In fairness, that made me laugh out loud...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

The guy in the gym with the huge headphones is 'doing it wrong'.

Yep, here's another fact: Anyone who wears Dr Dre headphones * in the gym is a dickhead.

* If you don't know what these are: they're not normal headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The rich keep on getting richer

I can point you to plenty of people who lost out financially in the last couple of years. One example off the top of my head would be, actually two examples- Sean Quinn, Shane Filan. Michael Dell has seen his company take a woeful nose dive, as has Bill Gates in Microsoft.

The world smiles on you if you are good looking

This one comes up so often that I decided a couple of months ago to try a little experiment- I'll tell you straight up I look like a gimp, and I'm chronically shy, but, nevertheless, I decided to smile and greet complete strangers. It's been an eye opener, I'll tell you that much- To see people's grumpy morning head expressions change to a smile, some I haven't a clue who they were but they'd stop and chat just because you smiled at them. It's done my confidence wonders, and I think that's reflected in how I carry myself.

It's not your looks that matter- it's your attitude.

Contrary to popular belief, you can tell a book by its cover (Knew 50 shades of Grey & Twilight would be abominations on sight long before I knew what they were actually about)

That was said at a time when books had plain covers, as opposed to walking into Easons now and you can judge ANY book by it's cover- you're supposed to, that's the whole idea, s'marketin', innit?

Patriotism is the lowest form of ignorance

Ohh I'm pretty sure bigotry, racism, xenophobia, homophobia are right down there too, and many would say ignorance is borne of a lack of knowledge and a fear of that which we don't understand. I've always said ignorance is a learned behaviour.

I know what you mean though- being proud of a coincidental set of circumstances is ignorant, but there's many equally low forms of ignorance, I'm not sure it could be measured on a sliding scale.

Right, I'm off to go smile at some strangers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

CruelCoin wrote: »
    €10,000,000,000 to kill your family.

I know you'd say "you monster, i'd never even consider it", but when it comes down to it, i'm not sure many people could say no to that kind of money.

Add enough zeroes and yes, everything can be bought.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Saying "thank you" is not a just a reward - it is an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Couldn't agree more
    I know what you mean though- being proud of a coincidental set of circumstances is ignorant, but there's many equally low forms of ignorance, I'm not sure it could be measured on a sliding scale.

Gay pride? WTF is that all about? What's to be proud about?
    I'm not proud I'm straight - it was hardly my doing, I just grew up fancying women - if I'd fancied men I'd have acted accordingly. No input, no effort, no achievement whatsoever - so no cause for pride whatsoever.

My missus is always telling me I'm forever flirting (sometimes nagging tbh:)) But, I'm with you on this on - getting a big smile from someone you run into during the course of an average day is strangely uplifting. I usually reserve my efforts for the ladies, more out of laziness than anything else - they're just easier to get a response from!

Gay pride? WTF is that all about? What's to be proud about?
    I'm not proud I'm straight - it was hardly my doing, I just grew up fancying women - if I'd fancied men I'd have acted accordingly. No input, no effort, no achievement whatsoever - so no cause for pride whatsoever.

Yep, this is one that really gets on my tits, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love a good party as much as the next guy, but this "gay pride", and I know there's been some good points in the "heterosexual pride day" thread about this, but I didn't ask to be a straight white male either, I just am. I don't make a point of it. I know only too well other people don't think like me, but the whole "pride parades" have become about as effective in combatting homophobia as an occupy march has done for economics.

The whole "coming out" thing? If they didn't make such a big deal of it, people for the most part would carry on as normal - you surround yourself with people who you know care about you as a person, and you'll never have to do the whole ceremonial "coming out" nonsense. I know plenty of LGBT people and not one has ever sat me down and said "Czacasm, I'm gay...". They know the response they'd get. I wouldn't care, and the whole coming out thing feels like they need people to care about the fact that they're LGBT.

Still though, any excuse to don my lime green mankini - ze goggles, zey do nothzing! :pac:

My missus is always telling me I'm forever flirting (sometimes nagging tbh:)) But, I'm with you on this on - getting a big smile from someone you run into during the course of an average day is strangely uplifting. I usually reserve my efforts for the ladies, more out of laziness than anything else - they're just easier to get a response from!

My wife a couple of weeks back we were at the counter in a coffee shop, she remarked that I'm worse than a cat marking his territory :pac: (the way I'll chat away to the girls behind the counter in all the coffee shops in town). Truthfully though, I don't think enough people recognise the effort, training and skill that goes into making a good coffee, the least people working there deserve is a smile and a thank you when the forty or so customers before you just want to grab and go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There is no such thing as fate. Not everything happens for a reason.

You will remember something important you've left at home at the exact point in your journey where it's no longer worthwhile turning back for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What about people whose parent(s) abused them?

I don't know that women are hardest on each other. It's 50/50 women/men I'd say.

I'm sure being really beautiful can have its pitfalls, but being ugly is obviously gonna be harder. Life is probably easiest in that regard though for people who are somewhere in between.

Well its stuff we found to be true for ourselves, I'm not necessarily speaking for everyone. I'm hardly trying to put my post out there as some kind of catch all that everyone fits into :D But I do know that nobody will ever love me as much as my parents do, it's just something I'm sure of. I know romantic love differs in any event. And I'm not too good at it!:p When I was a kid my mum told me that you love your child more than your parents, that its natural (for most). I told her I'd never have a child because I never wanted to love anyone more than I love them lol. Melodramatic kid :rolleyes:

This one comes up so often that I decided a couple of months ago to try a little experiment- I'll tell you straight up I look like a gimp, and I'm chronically shy, but, nevertheless, I decided to smile and greet complete strangers. It's been an eye opener, I'll tell you that much- To see people's grumpy morning head expressions change to a smile, some I haven't a clue who they were but they'd stop and chat just because you smiled at them. It's done my confidence wonders, and I think that's reflected in how I carry myself.

edit: What if a pretty person smiles at everyone? :D
    ^Joking, but actually that reminded me, I'm normally a sour-faced b1tch not only because I'm grumpy as hell but even my natural "default" expression where I am genuinely not feeling inner rage looks grumpy (I'm told). I was walking past a guy one day and he had the cutest little dog that reminded me of mine and I found myself naturally smiling at the dog. The guy turns to me and says, "I'd give anything for you to smile at me like that" lol - hadn't even seen him :)

re the gay pride thing, totally get you. I'm bi and I haaaaate pride! If you want to be treated the same, act the same. You cant break the stereotype of promiscuity and alcoholism and partying by prancing down Dame street in the middle of the day, p1ssed and playing tonsil tennis with your OH while wearing nothing but 6 inches of leather and rainbow earrings. Same with coming out. Make a big deal? You silently give others the go-ahead to make a big deal too. I came out at work by bringing the OH to the Christmas party. Simple. Nobody really cares any more if you're gay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Nobody really cares any more if you're gay.

Plenty of people do care very much. You've been lucky if they don't for you, but they do for others. and I'm all for pride making the point that it's ok to be a gay couple in public and not hiding it.

Still though, any excuse to don my lime green mankini - ze goggles, zey do nothzing! :pac:

Ha, I can't decide if I really really want to see this, or really really don't want too!:D
    Either way, i'm getting the outfit for myself!
    My wife a couple of weeks back we were at the counter in a coffee shop, she remarked that I'm worse than a cat marking his territory :pac: (the way I'll chat away to the girls behind the counter in all the coffee shops in town). Truthfully though, I don't think enough people recognise the effort, training and skill that goes into making a good coffee, the least people working there deserve is a smile and a thank you when the forty or so customers before you just want to grab and go!

Has to be the same woman we're talking about - I'm told I've a particular weakness for anyone that gives me a cup of tea!
    Same with coming out. Make a big deal? You silently give others the go-ahead to make a big deal too. I came out at work by bringing the OH to the Christmas party. Simple. Nobody really cares any more if you're gay.

I could possible see the big deal in the past when people actually were forced by society into "the closet". But these days - there is hardly a need. Just be yourself and I think most people will just accept it. I don't really know anyone my age or younger that would even consider someones sexuality to be an issue.
    Maybe i'm slightly out of touch or something, but I think defining yourself as a gay man, or a gay woman - is every bit as stupid as defining yourself as a straight man, or even a white man. It may well be what you are at a passing glance, but if there isn't more to you than that, then I don't want to know you.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Plenty of people do care very much. You've been lucky if they don't for you, but they do for others. and I'm all for pride making the point that it's ok to be a gay couple in public and not hiding it.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've never cared and nobody I know well enough to talk about something like that has ever cared if anyone we knew was gay. The parade served it's purpose, but I think in Dublin anyway it's purpose is no longer required. There is no reason to be ashamed of your sexuality, but there is also no reason to be proud of it. It's like saying you're proud your eyes are blue - it's meaningless.

Maybe i'm slightly out of touch or something, but I think defining yourself as a gay man, or a gay woman - is every bit as stupid as defining yourself as a straight man, or even a white man. It may well be what you are at a passing glance, but if there isn't more to you than that, then I don't want to know you.

Not normally a fan of the thanks function, but if I could thank this a thousand times! :D

I love it when I read how people are able to articulate and express my ideas better than I can :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I wonder has anybody changed their lives after reading one of these threads, just stood up from their work desk and said Fu*k it and walked out the door to a more contented life or the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

edit: What if a pretty person smiles at everyone? :D
    ^Joking, but actually that reminded me, I'm normally a sour-faced b1tch not only because I'm grumpy as hell but even my natural "default" expression where I am genuinely not feeling inner rage looks grumpy (I'm told). I was walking past a guy one day and he had the cutest little dog that reminded me of mine and I found myself naturally smiling at the dog. The guy turns to me and says, "I'd give anything for you to smile at me like that" lol - hadn't even seen him :)

re the gay pride thing, totally get you. I'm bi and I haaaaate pride! If you want to be treated the same, act the same. You cant break the stereotype of promiscuity and alcoholism and partying by prancing down Dame street in the middle of the day, p1ssed and playing tonsil tennis with your OH while wearing nothing but 6 inches of leather and rainbow earrings. Same with coming out. Make a big deal? You silently give others the go-ahead to make a big deal too. I came out at work by bringing the OH to the Christmas party. Simple. Nobody really cares any more if you're gay.

This what you had in mind?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/

bluewolf wrote: »

What I meant was, it's not as big a deal as it used to be, especially in the workplace. People have their own lives and worries etc. Pride is a glorified p1ss up, there are other ways to make points. I'm actively involved with various animal rights organisations - we lobby politicians, raise awareness, take part in demos - we dont run around drunk and scantilly clad once a year! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

K-9 wrote: »
    The love of money is the root of all evil.

War waged for religion (jihad, crusades, etc) were waged for imaginary friends, not money.

I would classify those wars, and the acts committed in them as evil.

Lucena wrote: »

Well, there's a mouthful! Honestly, show of hands please for anyone that could take this seriously -
    The parade, organized by the Los Angeles Gay And Lesbian And Bisexual And Transvestite And Transgender Alliance (LAGALABATATA)

Jog on! :pac:

EDIT: From further down the article (read the rest once I'd got my breath back from laughing) -

But, for mainstream heterosexuals unfamiliar with irony...

Pack a' pricks! :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

To be honest, although I find it silly to be proud of something like being gay, I don't think that 'pride' was exactly what was meant initially. In a time when people took a lot of sh1t for being gay, it was more a way of saying 'we are who we are and we're comfortable with that and you should accept it'. Pride was/is just an easier way of saying that.

A lot of people here seem to think that the war for acceptance of gay people is over. A lot of battles have been won, but I still think we're a long way from having two same-sex 14-year-olds kissing or walking hand-in-hand down the street in some village in rural Ireland, and it being a completely normal thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

CruelCoin wrote: »
    War waged for religion (jihad, crusades, etc) were waged for imaginary friends, not money.

I would classify those wars, and the acts committed in them as evil.

Not all wars were started for religion either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

Hard embarrassing fact: Michael D Higgins is an embarrassing little ork as a figure head of our country. Seriously...dress him up in a little green suit and ginger beard and just listen to him!!! And why has every Government party leader of this s**thole had the most embarrassingly non masculine name Berty? Enda? Amongst the rest of the heads of state on European t.v.? The only one who had a decent name had a face like a plumbers toolbag/ pitbull licking piss off a nettle!

now that you say it i suppose "mary harney" does sound kind of masculine :pac:

Advertisement