Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facts of life you've found to be true

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

I wonder has anybody changed their lives after reading one of these threads, just stood up from their work desk and said Fu*k it and walked out the door to a more contented life or the dole.

Not exactly, but in a thread some years back, themed 'best advice you've been given' or something like that. I did break up with my then partner.

The post read: don't wait around for things to get better, they probably won't.

I'm now NOT married to someone I WOULDN'T have been happy with. I DON'T have kids with her and I DON'T feel trapped in strong current of despair.

I'm young, trouble-free, debt-free, but most of all....I'm happy.

So ya, stuff you post here does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

EdCastle wrote: »
    Cash & killer looks are king.

True to a sense. Though If you dont have one, you can make do by being incredibly well endowed in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Shy girls are the dirtiest in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

You dont always get what you deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

EdCastle wrote: »
    Cash & killer looks are king.
    In most situations these will be demolished by confidence and ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I always think its funny on here how people make out confidence to be the more noble than looks. People always side with the confident people but let me tell you I know so many lads who are ugly but confident who get girls. These clowns are confident because they were on the seniors in blackrock/clongows and the status with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I always think its funny on here how people make out confidence to be the more noble than looks. People always side with the confident people but let me tell you I know so many lads who are ugly but confident who get girls. These clowns are confident because they were on the seniors in blackrock/clongows and the status with that.
    The after hours poster-child for vanity tries to put forward a counterargument in which every single line is completely and risibly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

So you think it's funny when people say confidence is more important than looks, yet you give an example that confirms it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No you misread it people seem to have a thing against looks, and instead see confidence as being the noble or good side of attraction, but in my experience those with confidence(who really shouldn't) are douchebags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No you misread it people seem to have a thing against looks, and instead see confidence as being the noble or good side of attraction, but in my experience those with confidence(who really shouldn't) are douchebags.
    So you judge people on looks alone? People don't ''have a thing against looks''. Most of us don't judge on the aesthetics alone, we value personality traits and actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

College education isn't the be all and end all. In fact a lot of the time some college degrees are not worth wiping your arse with.

The novelty of alcohol wears off very quickly. The potential for it to get you into trouble is limitless unless you learn how to handle it very quickly.

There's nothing like a sweaty shag.

Marriage is a glorified business arrangement.

If work is the centre of your life then you haven't lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Making a fart mask (same as Jackass) and putting it on your friends head will make him vomit. I thought it was a spoof for the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

"There's always someone worse off than you" is no use to someone who is depressed or going through a really bad time (e.g. my friend when going through a very tough break-up and having her work hours cut to three days a week at the same time) decided to do voluntary work for the homeless to take her mind off things, and it only made her more depressed.

However, if you're going through a short phase of being pissed-off/annoyed over relatively trivial stuff, if you hear of something that puts things into perspective, then it can make you quit whingeing and appreciate what you've got.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

"There's always someone worse off than you" is no use to someone who is depressed or going through a really bad time (e.g. my friend when going through a very tough break-up and having her work hours cut to three days a week at the same time) decided to do voluntary work for the homeless to take her mind off things, and it only made her more depressed.

Not surprising really!

There's no cure for a tough breakup except time and perspective. If someone needs to "keep busy" during the healing time then they should start a course that totally engrosses them

That Sundays were made to feast on every food within grasp

(or alternatively, within ordering)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Billy de Bollix

Blood is thicker than water.....but family fudes can be more venomous than any friendship row!

Mark Twain: the more time I spend around people...the more I like my dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Candie wrote: »
    Not even if two people know it.

That's the old saying "A secret is only safe between three people if two of them are dead"

Just googled it......
    It was Benjamin Franklin who said it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Sh!t Happens. Who'd have thunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭vixdname

You can't put an old head on young shoulders and wisdom comes with age. My sixteen year old is raising my awareness of this fact almost daily. Headwrecker.

Not necessarily true, I've met some incredibly stupid older people in my time, not because they're old but just because they were stupid their whole life and didnt improve with age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Jumping out in front of people and scaring them will only end in a punch to the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

allibastor wrote: »
    Jumping out in front of people and scaring them will only end in a punch to the face.

Reminded me of this;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My OH did this at the weekend, jumped out at me during a scary movie and (because I've had a lot of personal sh1t going on lately) I was able to turn on the tears immediately and cry like a kid who'd fallen over. hahahaha fuuckin priceless to see her face! :D

Unless you're 8 and its Halloween

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

You cannot please everyone all of the time...

This too shall pass.. (and it always does)

Sometimes to be quiet is the best solution ...

What other people think of me is none of my business....

How you react to other people, is all about you and not them... something you need to look at ... i.e. when you point the finger there are always 3 pointing back..

Build a bridge and get over it.. or drown under it!

You do not know what other people have been through so never judge

We are all unique, give everyone their own entitlement..

life is for living!

Honesty is always the best policy

Where there is a will there is a way

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at, change!

Resentment is like holding a hot piece of coal in your Hand and expecting the other person to burn..

People will have an opinion regardless.. allow them to.. its their free will and right!

:):):):):):)

You cannot please everyone all of the time...

This too shall pass.. (and it always does)

Sometimes to be quiet is the best solution ...

What other people think of me is none of my business....

How you react to other people, is all about you and not them... something you need to look at ... i.e. when you point the finger there are always 3 pointing back..

Build a bridge and get over it.. or drown under it!

You do not know what other people have been through so never judge

We are all unique, give everyone their own entitlement..

life is for living!

Honesty is always the best policy

Where there is a will there is a way

When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at, change!

Resentment is like holding a hot piece of coal in your Hand and expecting the other person to burn..

People will have an opinion regardless.. allow them to.. its their free will and right!

:):):):):):)

Someone got lucky last night :p

maybe i am just not old.. but wise! ;o)

maybe i am just not old.. but wise! ;o)

Lucky you, I'm old and er..not wise. :( Though I did get asked for ID last week, which came as a great gift four days after my 30th :P

Ah happy Birthday Mr Wise but not so wise but who looks young! :)

Another fact of life.. after 30 you forget how old you are ie each year thereafter.. AND you dont celebrate your birthdays like you used to!! ;o)

Ah happy Birthday Mr Wise but not so wise but who looks young! :)

Another fact of life.. after 30 you forget how old you are ie each year thereafter.. AND you dont celebrate your birthdays like you used to!! ;o)

Its Ms Wise actually :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That is is actually wise to keep the raw meat on the bottom shelf in the fridge.

Advertisement