Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2013

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nadal the real #1 now, regardless of rankings. That last set was pretty flat!

Djokovic threw away the 3rd set ,he blew alot of break points.
    He seemed to lose heart once he failed to take his break points.

On a side note Mark Petchey is full of crap ,a pity Eurosport dont have the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

Novak looked fantastic in the 2nd set and the beginning of the third but there was simply no way he could keep that tempo up. He had to work so hard for every point he won that it was only a matter of time before Rafa eroded his way through. Failing to win that third set killed him mentally and gave Rafa a huge boost....RAFAAAA!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Emphasizing the prize money is so crass imo, it doesn't matter one jot to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Does any other GS presentation mention the prize money?

Think most of them just hand over the envelope and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

13 Majors for Rafa. He's 1 away from Sampras and 4 away from Federer. Definitely can surpass Pete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

Emphasizing the prize money is so crass imo, it doesn't matter one jot to the players.

That's America for you I guess.

'MERICA FÚCK YEAH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Wow, Rafa live on Sky Sports NOW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 GonzalezT1000

Another 2 or 3 non clay slams
    And I'd consider Rafa probably the greatest ever assuming we don't see a
    miraculous renaissance from Federer.

Although he needs a couple WTFs and a couple years as number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

RosyLily wrote: »
    13 Majors for Rafa. He's 1 away from Sampras and 4 away from Federer. Definitely can surpass Pete.

Going by this year, it would not surprise me if Nadal got all 4 next year, so long as he does better at Wimbledon.

No he's not, points don't lie. He lost in the first round of Wimbledon don't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Another 2 or 3 non clay slams
    And I'd consider Rafa probably the greatest ever assuming we don't see a
    miraculous renaissance from Federer.

Another three non clay GS and he'll have 8...I don't think that makes him the greatest.

Edit: but clay or not it doesn't matter really, a GS is GS. Although as it was discussed in the other thread, GS wins isnt always the best way to look at things regards the "greatest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

No he's not, points don't lie. He lost in the first round of Wimbledon don't forget.

And the Race to London points say he is nearly 4,000 points ahead of Djokovic. Rafa is the undisputed King of 2013.

Nadal was excellent and deserved the win but Djokovic 2011 would have won this reasonably comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Another slam ends with one of these hideous defensive moonballers winning. What a tragic state this sport is in.
    Slow down the courts they screamed in the 90s. Well, mission accomplished. Every court plays essentially the same now. Fast, low bouncing courts are extinct. No more quick points for you. Now every rally lasts 30 shots. And every one of those shots is a moonball from the baseline. Brave attacking tennis is dead. Try to step up and fire a winner and by the time the ball reaches the other side of the court, Nadal or Djokovic or Murray is there to pass you at the net. What does it mean to win a Career Grandslam now? Nothing, just that you're the best defensive grinder out there - not a skilled varied player with the ability to adapt to different surfaces and different challenges.
    I used to love this sport. It's dead to me now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

smurfs5 wrote: »
    And the Race to London points say he is nearly 4,000 points ahead of Djokovic. Rafa is the undisputed King of 2013.

Exactly, the points tell the whole story. Also Rafa had nothing to defend since RG so it's relatively easy for him to gain on Djokovic these past few months. He probably will be #1 by the year end, or into next year when he still has nothing to defend. It'll get interesting in March when he can't really gain any points.
    scouser82 wrote: »
    And finally we have the other more cynical stuff, which sadly is against the charter to discuss.

It's not against the charter to discuss facts. As it is there's no facts RE: Nadal and "the other more cynical stuff" so there isn't really anything to discuss. There is a seperate thread to discuss the doping issue.
    WaterLily. wrote: »
    There is always someone that completely disregards Rafa's achievements and says that the courts are all the same as clay which is absolute nonsense. If they were and judging by the French Open, Nadal would have won them all from age 18!?
    SlickRic wrote: »
    anyone who says grass courts and hard courts are similar to clay courts obviously just doesn't like Rafa, and just wants to discount his achievements.

The courts all play the same now. It's a fact. It might not have been that way back when Nadal was 18/19 but it is now. Serena was asked about it the other week, how hard is it to transition between clay, grass and hard like they have to over the Summer in a relatively short time. She said it's not difficult at all as there's barely any adjustment needed. The hard courts play like a fast clay court. Wimbledon is different for about 4 days and then the grass wears away and it's basically a clay court. Which is why Nadal always struggles the first few rounds and plays much much better as the tournament goes on.
    Nadal was excellent and deserved the win but Djokovic 2011 would have won this reasonably comfortably.

Where has 2011 Djokovic gone? Nadal played well, no doubt, but Djokovic was a bit pathetic at times. How many BP's did he miss? How many times was he 0-40 on Nadal's serve and not break? Shocking. Think he needs to really have a serious think about his priorities.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

OKAY, SINCE THE US OPEN IS OVER NOW I'VE MOVED THE LAST FEW POSTS DISCUSSING COURTS SPEEDS ETC. OVER TO BETWEEN SLAMS THREAD WHERE ALL GENERAL TENNIS DISCUSSION SHOULD BE KEPT UNTIL..... AUSTRALIA!! :)

Advertisement