Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Can't say a Nadal/Djokovic final fills me with joy... but there you go. Hoping for a Nadal win I guess. He'll only be one behind Pete Sampras if he does win!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

boreder wrote: »
    Find it really tough to enjoy Nadals matches. He takes an absolute age between points. Even the second serve takes 10-15 seconds to follow.

Yeah,its extremely annoying and puts me off watching him too,Murray and Djokovic arent much better.

There is supposed to be a 25-second time violation ,in Grand Slams it is a mere 20 seconds,but umpires are afraid to enforce.

This towelling down after every point is absolute nonsense .

Roger Federer averages about 15 seconds between points whilst Nadal averages 30 and Djokovic 33.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RosyLily wrote: »
    An American junior is through to the Girls Final. Her name......

Tornado Black!!!:D:D

And her younger sister is Hurricane Black :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I remember reading about the AO 2012 Final where Nadal and Nole had at times taken up to 50 seconds between points!

Yes,they worked out that the final would have been at least 70 minutes shorter if the rules were implemented and that's without counting the long gaps the two also tend to take between first and second serves.

Gerry91 wrote: »
    Well she's a great player yes but that poster asking why she's so good, in the way they did is a tad ott IMO. It's not like she's unbeatable or anything

The wta is weak now make no questions about it. There's no one really good enough to do a grass lisicki on it in these tournaments

It's all about power now and serena just simply overpowers everyone.

She's looked very ordinary now in her last two finals here v Azsrenka and stosur who decided to employ variety not endless silly baseline power rallies

Nadal's dominance is far more impressive, relatively speaking

Edit- I certainly didn't word it properly but my point is I don't think she's all that unbeatable. Respect her big time though you can only beat what's in front of you and she does it easily most times

Regarding her defeat to Lisicki, I think it's pretty fair to say that Serena had played an enormous amount of tennis in the couple of months before Wimbledon, culminating with her second RG title. It is notoriously difficult to win the French Open and then emulate the same performance at Wimbledon just a few weeks later. Lisicki loves the grass and put it an amazing performance that day, but I have serious, serious doubts as to whether she'd really be able to beat a well-rested Serena on her best surface.

And I don't get when you say she "simply overpowers" everyone. 'Power' in tennis is just as valid a skill as is adding finesse, variety, spin, lobs, dropshots etc, there's nothing simple about "simply overpowering". I agree that the WTA isn't at it's strongest right now, and an in-form Serena has nobody to challenge her on a consistent basis, but she's a living legend and it's a possibility that she will end her career known as the greatest woman to ever play the game. You can't take anything away from her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Regarding her defeat to Lisicki, I think it's pretty fair to say that Serena had played an enormous amount of tennis in the couple of months before Wimbledon, culminating with her second RG title. It is notoriously difficult to win the French Open and then emulate the same performance at Wimbledon just a few weeks later. Lisicki loves the grass and put it an amazing performance that day, but I have serious, serious doubts as to whether she'd really be able to beat a well-rested Serena on her best surface.

And I don't get when you say she "simply overpowers" everyone. 'Power' in tennis is just as valid a skill as is adding finesse, variety, spin, lobs, dropshots etc, there's nothing simple about "simply overpowering". I agree that the WTA isn't at it's strongest right now, and an in-form Serena has nobody to challenge her on a consistent basis, but she's a living legend and it's a possibility that she will end her career known as the greatest woman to ever play the game. You can't take anything away from her.

She's up there but steffi and martina from what I've seen of them were definitely better players

Did Nadal drop serve yesterday?

He can become first ever to win a slam not dropping serve I believe

I actually think he'll beat Djokovic handy

Hope he does too, Novak is a nice guy but just can't warm to him myself

Did Nadal drop serve yesterday?

He can become first ever to win a slam not dropping serve I believe

I actually think he'll beat Djokovic handy

Hope he does too, Novak is a nice guy but just can't warm to him myself

He did, I think. Not that it actually mattered.

I think Djokovic needs the win more than Nadal does, he''ll find it very hard to justify his status at #1 if he'll have only won 2 grand slams throughout 2012 and 2013. Also, he'll be 2-6 outside of Australian Open finals if he loses, which is not a good statistic.

He did drop it when Richie broke back in the 2nd set.

Ah damn it would have been an insane achievement!

I wonder is this a one off so to say by Stan or will he become a regular slam contender?

He did, I think. Not that it actually mattered.

I think Djokovic needs the win more than Nadal does, he''ll find it very hard to justify his status at #1 if he'll have only won 2 grand slams throughout 2012 and 2013. Also, he'll be 2-6 outside of Australian Open finals if he loses, which is not a good statistic.

Definitely!

This would be his 4th USO loss I believe

• Advertisement

So what do we reckon for the women's final later? I predicted Vika to win the tournament before it started and I'm gonna stick with it, Vika in 3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ah damn it would have been an insane achievement!

I wonder is this a one off so to say by Stan or will he become a regular slam contender?

Stan's had a really good year Slam wise. Apart from Wimbledon. It'll be a real challenge for him next year to defend all those points. I don't see why he shouldn't be a contender. It's not as if he's had really easy draws this year and it was pure fluke that he got as far as he did.

Stan's had a really good year Slam wise. Apart from Wimbledon. It'll be a real challenge for him next year to defend all those points. I don't see why he shouldn't be a contender. It's not as if he's had really easy draws this year and it was pure fluke that he got as far as he did.

His USO draw was really tough in fairness

Karlovic is hard to play against and to beat Berdych AND Murray take Djok to 5 sets etc

Moved that conversation over to the In between Slams thread. Best to keep this one as US Open related as possible.

An American junior is through to the Girls Final. Her name......

Tornado Black!!!:D:D

Her real name is Alicia. Tornado is a nickname that stuck, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Her real name is Alicia. Tornado is a nickname that stuck, apparently.

You sunk my battleship.:(

Really enjoyed the Serena-Vika final last year. Not sure how it'll pan out this time around though. Vika isn't playing great; her serve has been terrible all tournament. But she seemed to pull it together somewhat in the SF. Serena has been bashing her way through opponents. I'm hoping Vika will give her a better test tonight.

I'm predicting Serena in 2 (tight) sets, maybe 7-5, 7-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Anyone know what time men's final will start on Monday?

You sunk my battleship.:(

Really enjoyed the Serena-Vika final last year. Not sure how it'll pan out this time around though. Vika isn't playing great; her serve has been terrible all tournament. But she seemed to pull it together somewhat in the SF. Serena has been bashing her way through opponents. I'm hoping Vika will give her a better test tonight.

I'm predicting Serena in 2 (tight) sets, maybe 7-5, 7-6.

Don't worry though, her sister's legal name really is Hurricane :D

Late anyway.

I remember being up till stupid o'clock watching last year

10pm :)
    Think this'll be a late one though!

• Advertisement

10pm :)
    Think this'll be a late one though!

If Nadal wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 it'll still go on for ages ;). Endless rallies, and that nonsense he does between points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

If Nadal wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 it'll still go on for ages ;). Endless rallies, and that nonsense he does between points

I am a Nadal fan but why do most people think he will win tomorrow? He is in excellent shape but so is Novak- I think it will be a close match.

I feel the match will be more mental than physical.

Nadal says he is just happy to be in the US Open Finals again but we all know what he is trying to say is he wants to be NO 1 again and move closer to Roger's GS collections. He wins tomorrow and he only needs 4 more.

Novak says Nadal has been brilliant all year and he has to play his best to win- True but what he is trying to say is he wants to win the USO badly so he can get closer to Nadal's GS titles- if he wins, it will just be a deficit of 5 titles and almost guarantees him No 1 ranking for 2013.

Anyway, looking forward to a ruthless match tomorrow, I just want it to be done in 4 sets instead of the never ending matches these 2 play in GS Finals.

As I politely mentioned earlier, I am a Rafa fan so I will predict Nadal in 4 sets- I see a replication of the US Open finals in 2010- First set Nadal- Second set Novak and Nadal wins 2 sets after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If Nadal wins 6-0 6-0 6-0 it'll still go on for ages ;). Endless rallies,

true?v=mpbl-1&px=600

Don't worry though, her sister's legal name really is Hurricane :D

Actually..... I think her sister's name is Tyra ;)

Croatia took both boy's and girl's singles titles earlier. Croatia could be a real force in the future, especially Fed Cup if their kids deliver on their promise.

Her website says otherwise... http://www.hurricanetyrablack.com/bio/
    Named for her anticipated power and force, Tyra Hurricane is her given name, and as you see, goes by Hurricane Tyra on the courts.

Wind playing havoc with this women's final. Serena not happy.

(There is an Australian player called Storm Sanders, if that helps :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 GonzalezT1000

Yea, he must tug his underwear 5 times and t shirt 3 times then a few flicks of his hair between every single point mechanically. He should reassess his choice word underwear.

Azarenka defnitely playing better so far anyway... also the first match they've had in a while where Serena hasn't run away with the first set

• Advertisement

Anabel Croft annoys the hell out of me. Don't really know why :p

Serena meeting her match here as I expected

Advertisement