Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mardy Fish has withdrawn. I think he's done.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Saw this earlier. Retirement has to beckon, there's nowhere left for him to go really.

It's a bit of a shame because he was probably having the best spell of his career and then the heart problem happened and he hasn't been right since.

Sharapova is out!

Right shoulder bursitis apparently.

There's only Delpo really left that I care about :(

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just came to post this. Fuuuck! Really disappointed. I was kinda hoping she might spring a surprise and win her 5th grand slam. Guess it's just an Azarenka/Serena charge to the final now. Will be extremely interesting to see who the other two semi-finalists will be!

• Advertisement

It's going to be like the French again where it's two walkovers for Serena and Vika. Errani is #4 seed now. Unbelievable. She's not going to make it to the 2nd week never mind the SF. I honestly don't know if I can be bothered with it now, the women's side in particular.

Whilst it's hard to stomach Errani being the #4 seed, don't rule out her making it to the second week at all. I for one thought she'd be plummeting down the rankings this year after her dream 2012... look at her now!

Your right, I was thinking of her on grass rather than on hard. My bad. I'm sleepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,883 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sugarpova is out!

Right shoulder bursitis apparently.

There's only Delpo really left that I care about :(
    Fixed your post. :P

Mens, Probably going to be the usual Nadal, Murray, Djokovic toss up. Federer may get a look in.

Womens, hard to see past Serena Williams, Azarenca put in a good show in Cincinnati and will be one to watch out for, but when it comes to Grand Slam Crunch, the Wimbledon pretenders are likely to fall.

The draw is happening now, Serena to face Sloane in the 4R.
    Sloane gon' die! :eek::pac:

• Advertisement

Projected men's quarter finals:

Djokovic - Del Potro
    Murray - Berdych

Gasquet-Ferrer
    Federer-Nadal

Projected women's quarter finals:

Serena - Kerber
    Radwanska - Li

Wozniacki - Errani
    Kvitova - Azarenka.

The quarters I've bolded are wide open, anybody could make it to the quarters here. Janowicz is in the Gasquet-Ferrer quarter, a lot of people saying he could make another grand slam semi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Would love to see Delpo beat Djokovic!! I've high hopes for that match. I wouldn't put it past Janowicz to reach another SF; he's a very talented player! I seen him vs. Kubot at Wimbledon, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭larry1

Projected men's quarter finals:

Djokovic - Del Potro
    Murray - Berdych

Gasquet-Ferrer
    Federer-Nadal

Projected women's quarter finals:

Serena - Kerber
    Radwanska - Li

Wozniacki - Errani
    Kvitova - Azarenka.

The quarters I've bolded are wide open, anybody could make it to the quarters here. Janowicz is in the Gasquet-Ferrer quarter, a lot of people saying he could make another grand slam semi!

I am going to go to to Flushing for one of the quarters on either Sept 3 or 4. Does anyone know who will be playing on which day? Thanks

RosyLily wrote: »
    Would love to see Delpo beat Djokovic!! I've high hopes for that match. I wouldn't put it past Janowicz to reach another SF; he's a very talented player! I seen him vs. Kubot at Wimbledon, very impressive.

I'd love nothing more than Delpo beating Djokovic, but don't see it happening over 5 sets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

I can't see either Gasquet or Ferrer in the quarterfinals if I'm honest! I definitely think that someone like Isner or Janowicz will be there instead.

I really hope all of Murray/ Berdych, Djokovic/ Del Potro, and Nadal/ Federer make it through because those all have the potential to be absolutely brilliant matches!!

I'd love if Del Potro beat Djokovic but I would also love to see a slam final between Nadal and Murray, I think that could be really interesting :)

Overall, I can't wait!!

On the other hand, the women's side just bores me to tears. I hope Serena and Vika both go out early so that it's a bit more exciting and unpredictable.

larry1 wrote: »
    I am going to go to to Flushing for one of the quarters on either Sept 3 or 4. Does anyone know who will be playing on which day? Thanks

Don't think they've said which half of the draw plays on which day yet. The men's final is on Monday this year, isn't it? So there might not be any QF's on the 3rd. Not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

larry1 wrote: »
    The tournament schedule is here:
    http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/eventschedule.html?promo=subnav
    but that is subject to change if the weather poses problems.

WaterLily. wrote: »
    I can't see either Gasquet or Ferrer in the quarterfinals if I'm honest! I definitely think that someone like Isner or Janowicz will be there instead.

I really hope all of Murray/ Berdych, Djokovic/ Del Potro, and Nadal/ Federer make it through because those all have the potential to be absolutely brilliant matches!!

I'd love if Del Potro beat Djokovic but I would also love to see a slam final between Nadal and Murray, I think that could be really interesting :)

Overall, I can't wait!!

On the other hand, the women's side just bores me to tears. I hope Serena and Vika both go out early so that it's a bit more exciting and unpredictable.

Yeah definitely not Gasquet, he's something like 1-15 in grand slam 4th round matches. Incredibe!

Ferrer hasn't been playing well since RG but I wouldn't rule out a run here. I hope not though, his tennis does nothing for me.

Would also love to see the projected Fed/Nadal quarter-final, not just cause it'll be a good match but also because they've never played at the US Open, which is pretty unbelievable!

Nice to see everyone on here supporting Delpo, in fact Delpo is supported pretty much universally. I'm yet to hear a bad word against him, and how could you, it'd be like shooting a puppy :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Delpo

I will do my best to not let you down lads. I am feeling confident that I will have a good tournament.

I appreciate the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I am going for a Murray/Nadal Final. Why is that Nadal always comes up smelling of roses in these draws. :(

• Advertisement

Sky Sports had been acquired, looking forward to Monday now! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

I think Ivanovic will do well and also I think Kristina Mlandenovic will put in a good effort and 2 or 3 wins.

Dont particularly like mens tennis

Ivanovic is due to meet Azarenka in the 4th round though! That's as far as she'll go, if she even gets there at all.

Mladenovic has a tough draw, possibly Hampton in the 2nd round and Sloane in the 3rd. She is talented though, so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

And so it begins!:D

James Blake announced his retirement at a presser this morning in New York. US Open to be his last tournament.

James Blake announced his retirement at a presser this morning in New York. US Open to be his last tournament.

As has Xavier Malisse, except he'll be retiring after the Australian Open.

Judy Murray doing commentary on Sky. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Tomic looking in risk of being the first casualty a break and a set down in the 4th

• Advertisement

Terrible loss for Nishikori

Advertisement