Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I saw a recent pic of them, it looks like it's starting to sink in now. I think they actually believed that the "we were forced to bring the drugs" story would work. Imaging how many times customs in Lima hear that exact same story every week, if not daily, it was never going to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭MonaPizza

bumper234 wrote: »
    Exactly. You have to book in advance. Is it the same in Peru or did her brother just think he could stroll in and se her?

Talk about backpeddling and goalpost shifting.

Look, you stated, wrongly, that visits were a privilege not a right. They are a right.
    Now you're trying to weasel your way out of your mistake with the "see, they have to be scheduled" crap, as if that somehow makes you correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Imaging how many times customs in Lima hear that exact same story every week, if not daily, it was never going to fly.
    Something I read in an article during the week - goes like this:

There are a number of different charges possible and one of the more serious charges involved being part of the smuggling gang, as opposed to being a simple mule otherwise unattached to the gang.

So if you can claim to be a less than fully willing participant, you can get the less serious trafficking charge rather that the more serious conspiracy charge. So distancing yourself from the gang (by claiming coercion) may be a fairly reasonable strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

MonaPizza wrote: »
    Talk about backpeddling and goalpost shifting.

Look, you stated, wrongly, that visits were a privilege not a right. They are a right.
    Now you're trying to weasel your way out of your mistake with the "see, they have to be scheduled" crap, as if that somehow makes you correct.

Not back pedaling at all just because family visits are a right in Ireland does not mean it's a right in Peru. Also i stated you cannot just walk up to a prison in Ireland and expect entry which is true. Also just because you have visitation rights in Irish prisons these rights can be taken away from you ergo they are a privilege too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

They haven't been convicted of anything.[/QUO
    Come on they knew what they we're carrying.By the look of them they dont seem to be all that fazed by it.Acting like they'll be home in a couple of weeks or so.Reality is going to hit home soon enough when they realize the severity of the crime they have committed.It wont be nice.

The one arrested in Thailand said it took her 12 weeks before it really hit her:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Why is there no talk of this English one eyed body builder guy called Shane who they supposedly both knew and who was suppose to be a dealer on Ibiza.

Surely he should be quizzed.

The Daily Mail said he fled back to England from Ibiza,after their arrest in Peru.Surely the British police should be questioning the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Not back pedaling at all just because family visits are a right in Ireland does not mean it's a right in Peru. Also i stated you cannot just walk up to a prison in Ireland and expect entry which is true. Also just because you have visitation rights in Irish prisons these rights can be taken away from you ergo they are a privilege too.

No, you are wrong there, they cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

No, you are wrong there, they cant.

Yes they can

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/convicted-killer-brings-court-case-against-prison-governor-603432.html

The sanctions imposed include a ban on phone calls, evening recreation and ordinary prison visits for 56 days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Why is there no talk of this English one eyed body builder guy called Shane who they supposedly both knew and who was suppose to be a dealer on Ibiza.

The Daily Mail said he fled back to England from Ibiza,after their arrest in Peru.Surely the British police should be questioning the guy.

It's inconsequential. He wasn't arrested for smuggling drugs from Peru and as far as we know there's no evidence he has anything to do with it.

Granted it's suspicious that he'd know them and is a known drug dealer and involved in gangland crime, but why would the British police waste their time with nothing to go on for a crime outside their jurisdiction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

What two young girls travelling from Peru to Spain pack a load of fecking porridge in their bags?! Not suspicious looking at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Try googling fake moon landing, or new world order.

They'll tell you we never landed on the moon, and the illuminati are about to take over the world.
    in fairness anton savage is rising on the radio and TV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why would they? What crime has he committed in Britain? Why would the British cops waste resources by trying to track down some guy who may or may not have committed offences in another jurisdiction? If the Spanish cops want him I'm sure that they'll ask their British counterparts for help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Is that not Central America?

Central America isn't a continent. It's a similar distinction to "Western Europe" or "Sub-Saharan Africa".

all the other players are irrelevant ....it doesn't really matter where the drugs came from or were going to .......the FACT is these two girls tried to smuggle 11kg of coke and were caught red handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It's inconsequential. He wasn't arrested for smuggling drugs from Peru and as far as we know there's no evidence he has anything to do with it.

Granted it's suspicious that he'd know them and is a known drug dealer and involved in gangland crime, but why would the British police waste their time with nothing to go on for a crime outside their jurisdiction?

Fair enough but should the Spanish and British police also be trying to find out who sanctioned the drug run.

Who are the dons??Will M+M spill the beans on who was their boss I wonder?

On suspicion of what?
    What offence is he alleged to have committed in the UK?

Fair enough but should the Spanish and British police also be trying to find out who sancioned the drug run.

Who are the dons??Will M+M spill the beans on who was their boss I wonder?

Spanish police perhaps. There's no reason why the British police should be involved though.

Yes they can

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/convicted-killer-brings-court-case-against-prison-governor-603432.html

The sanctions imposed include a ban on phone calls, evening recreation and ordinary prison visits for 56 days.

Which he successfully overturned in the High Court

Which he successfully overturned in the High Court

The court has lifted the sanctions until Friday when lawyers for the governor and the Justice Minister will be present to put forward their side of the case.

High Court President Nicholas Kearns has lifted the prison sanctions until Friday when the Governor of Wheatfield and the State will have an opportunity to air their side of the case.

Not really "successfully overturned" now is it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

They havent a hope of getting off. The USA basically control the drug enforcement of the vast majority of south america.
    Political and monetary funding from the US ensure that border controls and drug enforcement in particular at south american airports are state of the art and so are the sentencing arrangements that go with them.

They might get a lesser sentence then the 15 years but i expect they will be in prison for quite awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If they were 2 men, they wouldn't be getting half the coverage they're getting. Silly little girls playing the pity card. My OPINION.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

flynnlives wrote: »

They might get a lesser sentence then the 15 years but i expect they will be in prison for quite awhile.

I'm not so sure, I think they'll get a long sentence, then get released after a few years. The Peruvian Govt will want to make an example of them, but won't want the hassle of taking care of them. They won't want to risk a westerner dying of getting sick in their care, or the cost of keeping them.

If they were 2 men, they wouldn't be getting half the coverage they're getting. Silly little girls playing the pity card. My OPINION.

It's funny how the beginning of your post almost cries sexism and the second part of your posts refers to silly little girls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

all the other players are irrelevant ....it doesn't really matter where the drugs came from or were going to .......the FACT is these two girls tried to smuggle 11kg of coke and were caught red handed.

White handed actually :P

White handed actually :P

Whire nosed actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I'm not so sure, I think they'll get a long sentence, then get released after a few years. The Peruvian Govt will want to make an example of them, but won't want the hassle of taking care of them. They won't want to risk a westerner dying of getting sick in their care, or the cost of keeping them.

I don't agree. Peru has many Westerners on prison, some even past their release dates as they haven't the funds to pay for the release processing. They don't really 'take care' of prisoners anyways--you even have to be given a fork and plate from somewhere else, otherwise you don't eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Anyone whos been to Ibiza knows what happened in this case .

TheNap wrote: »

Care to explain for all us unlearned folks?

• Advertisement

TheNap wrote: »
    so what happened?

Advertisement