Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

• No food all day Tuesday
    • Brother not allowed a visit
    • Expected to lie on the floor
    • sponge type bed - with no blankets
    • Dirty conditions
    • water
    They simply said they didn't eat. That doesn't commute as being deprived of food.
    Maybe they lost their appetite with the nerves of the Court case.
    Why didn't the solicitor bring them in some food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

^ Unlike everyone else in this thread who would apparently be willing to find them guilty based solely on media reports without even hearing their or anyone else's testimony :rolleyes:

If anything I sincerely hope no AHer is ever on any jury that I have to stand before.

I'm not saying they're guilty, but to say that you'd find them not guilty because they look innocent is frankly, stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I'm not saying they're guilty, but to say that you'd find them not guilty because they look innocent is frankly, stupid.
    Who said that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Phoebas wrote: »
    Who said that?

Originally Posted by DellyBelly
    "The fact they haven't budged with their story over the last week. Really thought if they were guilty they would have cracked. I know this a little silly but they look so innocent in the photos. I think if I was a juror I'd find them not guilty. I may be wrong but got a feeling that I'm not"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86125877&postcount=173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

T
    Why didn't the solicitor bring them in some food?

A cake with a file in it would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They're expected in court soon. Sky News had a live feed but they were having issues so they've left it and they're trying to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Idbatterim wrote: »
    well whoever set up the deal, bringing in just up to the limit each, to get a lower sentence in case they were caught, didnt do them any favours in the end!!!

I think that whoever was funding this deal cares only about the cocaine, and not one bit about the welfare of the girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

i'm curious what the auld colombians are thinking about this if they are not involved! getting there names thrown in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They simply said they didn't eat. That doesn't commute as being deprived of food.
    maybe Michaela just has one eye on the modelling career for when she's released... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

They're expected in court soon. Sky News had a live feed but they were having issues so they've left it and they're trying to get it back.

Why are they back in court? (I thought they were there already today)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Yeah, but....do they like Tayto?

Tayto is from Northern Ireland. FACT:P

So all you peeps who refuse to acknowledge Northerner's as Irish must consider Tayto to be British too if your gonna be consistant about it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Idbatterim wrote: »
    How the hell are they being charged with 11kg, when they were carrying 5.5 each? If someone else had been caught at the same time, would theirs have been added to the two girls total as well?!!!
    Their tickets were bought under the same reservation afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

amdublin wrote: »
    Why are they back in court? (I thought they were there already today)

No idea. I didn't catch the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

DellyBelly wrote: »
    The fact they haven't budged with their story over the last week. Really thought if they were guilty they would have cracked. I know this a little silly but they look so innocent in the photos. I think if I was a juror I'd find them not guilty. I may be wrong but got a feeling that I'm not

Aside from the 'looks innocent' remark...which has given me a nice wee giggle....Peru does not operate a jury system. It is three judges who preside over the trial from what I know.

Tayto is from Northern Ireland. FACT:P

So all you peeps who refuse to acknowledge Northerner's as Irish must consider Tayto to be British too if your gonna be consistant about it.;)

That's a different Tayto. Sorry about ruining your dig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

DellyBelly wrote: »
    The fact they haven't budged with their story over the last week. Really thought if they were guilty they would have cracked. I know this a little silly but they look so innocent in the photos. I think if I was a juror I'd find them not guilty. I may be wrong but got a feeling that I'm not

Oh, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

The fact that all this is happening in Peru is influencing opinion. If the exactly same thing occurred in Dublin or Cork, nobody would be getting too exercised about it. In fact it would hardly make the news. There is a 'nasty foreigner' prejudice in all this hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The bushman

Live on sky now,but signal is bad

The fact that all this is happening in Peru is influencing opinion. If the exactly same thing occurred in Dublin or Cork, nobody would be getting too exercised about it. In fact it would hardly make the news. There is a 'nasty foreigner' prejudice in all this hype.
    To be honest, I dont think anything is being aimed at Peru, its the girls getting it from all angles...

Also I think the fact that Peru actually has what we would regard as a JUSTICE system, makes it more interesting! what would they get here a suspended sentence? 3 months? "Ahhh sure were all make mistakes" "Ah sure wasn't it her upbringing"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jesus this is the most stage managed trial I've ever seen! It's got commentary FFS!!! Even OJ didn't get commentary!! I'm waiting for Neville and Carragher to pop up here and start offering some tips on Michaela's defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Roger_007 wrote: »

I think there are a number of factors that make this story interesting.
    1) The fact that Michaella was reported missing
    2) That she then turns up in a peru police station under arrest.
    3) That they are young and female
    4) That the trail that led them to Peru is long and unclear. Ibiza, Mallorca, Lima, Machu..
    5) That they have a pretty incredible story.
    6) That much of their lives is so publically accessible via facebook
    7) That there are so many open questions and things that do not add up.
    8) That via BUA we have others who have been locked up for something similar.

I could go on, but the point is that two male sweaty heads arrested in Dublin airport with 11kg of coke is just not as interesting a story.
    Equally despicable crime in my opinion...but just not as interesting.
    As this is a discussion forum people naturally want to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This is so bizarre, but it looks like Michaela is now wearing the exact same green shirt with the white collar that Melissa was wearing yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

reading accounts of other cases there it appears as if you can get a huge part of your sentence off, sentenced to 6 years out in 2.5 years.

I know a guy who I grew up with in prison in Argentina,caught with 5kgs and only got 2and half years.being released in December.has a smart phone in prison and left me messages in FB.did 4 previous runs and only fought on the 5th one.tbh I expected him to get 15yrs.i think these girls are going to get done if time because if all the media and lies they telling.just my opinion tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I wonder if the scriptwriters for "Orange Is The New Black" are following this. Possible second season spoilers included.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    This is so bizarre, but it looks like Michaela is now wearing the exact same green shirt with the white collar that Melissa was wearing yesterday.

Ya,I spotted that also,that green top is getting a lot of wear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

marc96 wrote: »
    I know a guy who I grew up with in prison in Argentina,caught with 5kgs and only got 2and half years.being released in December.has a smart phone in prison and left me messages in FB.did 4 previous runs and only fought on the 5th one.tbh I expected him to get 15yrs.i think these girls are going to get done if time because if all the media and lies they telling.just my opinion tho

Quite unfortunate that you had to grow up in prison in Argentina. :p

In the court now the girls have been informed that it could take three years for their trial to get underway, and if found guilty they face a sentence between eight to fifteen years.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for Neville and Carragher to pop up here and start offering some tips on Michaela's defence.

Nevilles likely reaction if they get off!

Advertisement