Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peru drug smuggling case - READ OP BEFORE POSTING

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Actually visits are a right in prison in Ireland, each remand prisoner is entitled to one 15 minute visit a day (excluding Sundays), each sentenced prisoner is entitled to one 30 minute visit a week. Visits have to be booked in advance.

I presume there's a proviso here based on good behaviour or some such?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

• No food all day Tuesday
    • Brother not allowed a visit
    • Expected to lie on the floor
    • sponge type bed - with no blankets
    • Dirty conditions
    • water

Spending a weekend in a&e in the Lourdes Drogheda is very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

bumper234 wrote: »
    Why? Why should you as a prisoner who has broken the law be able to see your family when they just turn up? Do you think you could just walk down to Mountjoy or Portloise or any other prison tomorrow and expect to get in for a visit? Visits are a privilege that has to be earned and can also be refused.

Actually visits are a right in prison in Ireland, each remand prisoner is entitled to one 15 minute visit a day (excluding Sundays), each sentenced prisoner is entitled to one 30 minute visit a week. Visits have to be booked in advance.

Exactly. You have to book in advance. Is it the same in Peru or did her brother just think he could stroll in and se her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Was she pregnant going in or are there conjugal visits?

Unfortunately a prison guard was probably the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Was she pregnant going in or are there conjugal visits?

She was 19 when arrested and yes, she was pregnant when she went in. She gave birth to her daughter, and then after four months her mother took the child back to Europe. It's hard to tell from the subtitle translations, but I don't think she is too happy with her mother, for whatever reason.

You can watch her segment here, starting @ 33:00

**She is now a lesbian, apparently. I guess 8 years locked up with women left her no choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

This would be the same America that kidnapped illegally people from their homes and had them transferred to other countries for torture?:rolleyes:

No it wouldn't, because America isn't a country.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    No it wouldn't, because America isn't a country.

Really? What is it? A state of mind?:confused:

The USA is a country. A country that by the way, hasn't even signed up for the American Convention on Human Rights, making you look even sillier. This is about Peru.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That's New York.

America is a continent, generally divided into north and south America. North America includes The United States of America and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Can't see why people keep saying "they're getting charged for the full 11KG". Of course they are going to be charged for the full amount of drugs they were smuggling! why would the authorities charge them for any less?

I am growing tired of the "new" tabloid headlines each day. They seem to pick the most useless facts about the girls and make it into a 2 page story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

This post has been deleted.

Yea, that's not racist in any way :rolleyes:

Thoie wrote: »
    That's New York.

America is a continent, generally divided into north and south America. North America includes The United States of America and Canada.

But America (the united states) IS a country. Anywho back to the Peruvian issue of poor girls not getting foot massages or some ****

But America (the united states) IS a country. Anywho back to the Peruvian issue of poor girls not getting foot massages or some ****

The point is that the US hasn't even signed up for that convention, so I don't know why you brought them up in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Thoie wrote: »
    That's New York.

and Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

EyeSight wrote: »
    Can't see why people keep saying "they're getting charged for the full 11KG". Of course they are going to be charged for the full amount of drugs they were smuggling! why would the authorities charge them for any less?

I am growing tired of the "new" tabloid headlines each day. They seem to pick the most useless facts about the girls and make it into a 2 page story

the point is i gather they are being charged with 11kg EACH, as opposed to 5.5kg each , 11 total that they had hoped to be charged with.

the 2 american girls got charged with 8kg and got 8 years, out in 2 years 10 months for the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Amazingfun wrote: »
    **She is now a lesbian, apparently. I guess 8 years locked up with women left her no choice?

Not sure that's how sexuality works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

and Mexico.

Is that not Central America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

This was covered a few times in the original thread. Peru sentencing is harsher if the amount is over 10kg.
    The girls had about 5.5 kg in each bag.
    So, if they had been charged and convicted of 5.5kg each the sentence would be lighter than if they were charged with 11kg between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Each girl was caught with circa 5.5kg of cocaine. So they would receive a lesser sentence if they were charged with what they were actually carrying. It could be worse for them sentence wise if they are both charged with carrying the full 11kg.

I know if I was in their shoes I would want my layer to argue that what was found in my luggage was 5.5kg and not 11kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

enda1 wrote: »

In Peru youre entitled to two conjugal visits a week or a month (cant remember which) according to some lawyer on The Right Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

spurious wrote: »
    Not sure that's how sexuality works.

Oh really.

Try googling about the "down-low" that goes on in Men's prisons....plenty go homo while in prison, but stop once they are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

What I don't understand with these cases is that whenever the person or persons is found guilty and sentenced, everyone is up in arms about getting them released when it's plainly obvious they were 100% guilty.

They broke the f*cking law! Smuggling drugs.

Everyone knows the consequences of this by now.

Like that Canadian model's mother speaking 'she doesn't deserve this, she made a mistake.' A pretty big f*cking mistake. Hey let's let everyone out of prison because 'they made a mistake.'

I don't really buy their story about being forced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭LOSTfan57

Mario Balotelli just walks into prisons as he wants its all grand like. Also I'm sure if they wer given a pet budgie then all is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

I presume there's a proviso here based on good behaviour or some such?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

She was 19 when arrested and yes, she was pregnant when she went in. She gave birth to her daughter, and then after four months her mother took the child back to Europe. It's hard to tell from the subtitle translations, but I don't think she is too happy with her mother, for whatever reason.

You can watch her segment here, starting @ 33:00

I propose we round up all women and lock them up for 8 years.

8 years of peace for us and no shortage of lesbians when they come out. Win win...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

enda1 wrote: »

In a lot of south american prisons there are conjugal visits and also male and female prisoners can have free association and can have relationships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Meanwhile, a senior Spanish police officer said he did not believe they had been acting under duress.

First Sergeant Alberto Arian Barilla, head of the Ibiza police unit responsible for countering organised crime, said: "In my experience, I don't think these two girls were forced to do this because - particularly when you go to South America - you need to pass several controls.

"The first thing you do is go to the passport control and say 'listen, this is what is happening to me'. The policeman will react so I don't think they were forced."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michaellas-pain-irish-models-distress-after-she-is-formally-charged-29516820.html

They're going to need to produce some pretty ground breaking evidence here to get off those charges.
    Mr Madden said the women had been kept in harsh conditions but had been treated well.

"They are fairly tough conditions, there's not an awful lot to eat there, but she's been treated fairly well by the police and by the people in the police centre," he said.

They could have dumped the cocaine in a bin in the airport and got on the plane. They could have gone to the cops and told them they were being watched and forced to carry suspicious packages. They could have alerted the authorities in Spain and not go to Peru in the first place. So many chances to not carry 11kg onto a plane.

But no, they attempted to fly to Spain with 11kg of cocaine. In Peru. Where it's illegal to do so and comes with a price. This price comes in the form of the Peruvian legal and prison system. Whether they were forced or not, they're now part of the system that has "fairly tough conditions".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Oh really.

Try googling about the "down-low" that goes on in Men's prisons....plenty go homo while in prison, but stop once they are out.

Try googling fake moon landing, or new world order.

They'll tell you we never landed on the moon, and the illuminati are about to take over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

They haven't been convicted of anything.[/QUO
    Come on they knew what they we're carrying.By the look of them they dont seem to be all that fazed by it.Acting like they'll be home in a couple of weeks or so.Reality is going to hit home soon enough when they realize the severity of the crime they have committed.It wont be nice.

Advertisement