Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where will we finish ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Yep, main task done. Any lower than second would be a disappointment though.
    But CL, thank ****

I'm still of the mind that stranger things have happened.

Before today's matches we were 10/1 to win the league. So even the bookies don't think it's impossible.

Plus Danny Drinkwater out for the Everton match.

We slipped up against West Brom when it seemed impossible that we would do so after 20 mins into the match.

Maybe Everton pick it up against Leicester.... Just maybe!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everton have been awful, so i don't see them being able to get anything from that game. Maybe a point, but it's a long shot i'd say.

Either way, we have to win tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    Not wanting to be negative, but the best result for us at OT may be a draw. It was still leave us with an outside chance of catching Leicester and would guarantee that we finish top 4, no matter what happens in our last three games.

Not sure whether to be pleased or disappointed at today's result. Pretty much guaranteed Champions League qualification (extremely unlikely United will overhaul a 27 goal difference over the next 3 weeks) and City losing means that 1 point from our last 3 games will guarantee a top 3 finish and no need for a final qualifying round.

But it would be great if we could beat Chelski on Monday to keep the impossible dream alive and put everything else to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Patww79 wrote: »
    Chelsea are going to lie down on the final day so tomorrow night won't really matter anyway.

Finishing ahead of Arsenal doesn't matter?

There's little difference between 2nd and 3rd as far as going straight into the CL goes though is there?

True. It's Arsenal though.

Of course it matters. If we finish 3rd at this stage, we'll lose a lot of momentum going into next season. And it's about time we finished ahead of Arsenal in the Premier League!

• Advertisement

The small time looking up to Arsenal and even basing a success as finishing ahead of an awful Arsenal side is a lot of what has been wrong with Spurs for years. Finish as high as possible, but forget Arsenal.

I'm not big into hating Arsenal, but it's massive for fans who live in London

If we want to be champions, we have to beat everyone, including Arsenal. It's not a narrow focus on finishing ahead of them, it's just a welcome byproduct of a successful season.

I think finishing ahead of Arsenal (something we haven't done in years and years etc.) is worthwhile achieving from, purely, a benchmarking perspective. Let's finish ahead of them, move on and do it as standard in the coming season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

There's little difference between 2nd and 3rd as far as going straight into the CL goes though is there?

To finish below arsenal at this stage would be a shame. Their fans are in disarray with protests and what not. If they finish above us it would make our great season feel like a disappointment to be honest.

Christ it just dawned on me that we won't be playing Thursday nights. Living in Australia this means alot because games on Sunday at 4pm mean 2am Monday morning here.

Watching replays suck.. Will finally see alot more Saturday games.

City lose to Real and then focus returns back to the league. Play first team and beat Arsenal. Thus confirming 2nd place for us.

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

irishmover wrote: »
    City lose to Real and then focus returns back to the league. Play first team and beat Arsenal. Thus confirming 2nd place for us.

Right?

That is the obvious scenario. The conspiracy theory would be that Pelligrini is giving City and Pep the two fingers and is only interested in qualifying for CL via the holders route. If they get beaten by Real and end up fifth I would imagine there will be a lot of cash not changing hands with his P45. City would have been crazy not to ensure he wasn't trying his best. It's a pity West Ham tailed off. I don't want Utd getting 4th but it would be hilarious if City don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Christ finishing above Arsenal is bloody important, can't believe some don't think it is. Looking forward to the dvd also :D

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Christ finishing above Arsenal is bloody important, can't believe some don't think it is. Looking forward to the dvd also :D

Of course it's important. It's not the be all and end all, but it would be an important benchmark, given what's happened over the last several years. Anyone who says differently is not a fully committed fan imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd Hazard a guess at second

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd Hazard a guess at second

We'll take 2nd over 9th thank you very much.

Second place looks on doubt now. A few of our players might face a ban.

Win 1 game and we get 2nd. We should be able to do that, even with Dembele and Alli out.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Dembele will be a cert to be banned. I don't think anyone else will get banned although,Lamela,Rose,Walker and Dier could all have seen red at different times under a different ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

The F.A. will be too busy promoting the fairytale story as will tge British media.
    Dembele will deservedly get a ban and the club will be fined for failing to control their players.

Ban for Dembele, but that'll be it. And it's a deserved ban. Eye gouging is a ****ty thing to do to anyone.

At least the point tonight pretty much guarantees a top 3 spot. Even if we don't pick up another point, Man City would need to win both their remaining games and catch up a combined goal difference of 9. And if they do, it means they will have beaten Arsenal, who are 14 behind us on goal difference and could then at best finish level with us on points.

All irrelevant if we beat Southampton on Sunday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm actually disappointed we didn't win the league....... let that sink sink in for a moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I'm sick of this club, the board, the manager, players not trying a leg. We need a world class keeper, centre half, defensive midfielder, winger and centre forward but I bet the board won't release the 500m we need to spend.That's it, I am out of here.

Woops, sorry I was reading too much of the Chelsea/ Utd/ Arsenal/ Liverpool threads. Disappointing end to a great season but I can't wait for next year!!!

COYS!!!!!

Advertisement