Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I agree Frosty Jack..both sides are capable of atrocity. It is most certainly not black and white, but then that's life, it's complex...no matter what side we take or even if we sit on the fence, we can not know the full story. The MB certainly threw away their opportunity after the election with both hands. But I can also see why people would protest against a coup.
    Can you also see why people would protest against returning the Muslim Brotherhood back to power?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Boombastic wrote: »
    He is an man of influence. His minor child is involved, has been possibly captured and beaten in a foreign country. What's so hard to understand?

That is supposition, not evidence. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

They don't look too Irish to me. The government should not get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

That is supposition, not evidence. :confused:

You were the one that declared it as 'fact', I think I described it as 'interesting'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

They don't look too Irish to me. The government should not get involved.

Oh please do elaborate? Should they have Ginger hair and freckles to be considered Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

bumper234 wrote: »
    Oh please do elaborate? Should they have Ginger hair and freckles to be considered Irish?
    If they don't have Irish blood in them, then they aren't Irish in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I donated blood during the war in Lebanon ~ have I made the recipients Irish?.

Lol the worst excuse for racism EVER!!!! Thank god your "book" is meaningless:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

A man with such influence willing to sacrifice his family for the cause in Egypt, interesting
    You were the one that declared it as 'fact', I think I described it as 'interesting'

The way you wrote it I'm still reading it as fact which is something I find interesting. We can all make up things which are interesting. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Lol the worst excuse for racism EVER!!!! Thank god your "book" is meaningless:rolleyes:

The people in the photo I seen are Arabs.
    By the way I quite like Arabs and from what I have seen of them they seem a nice family and they should be helped.
    Is being Irish better then being an Arab? NO.
    Being Irish is about having a family tree that can be traced back generations.

This is an Arab family that have been granted Irish citizenship.
    If I moved to China and got granted Chinese citizenship would I then be a Chinese man?:rolleyes:
    If a family of dolphins decided to live with sharks and they are accepted to the dolphins now become sharks?

• Advertisement

The way you wrote it I'm still reading it as fact which is something I find interesting. We can all make up things which are interesting. :confused:

What am I making up and what evidence have you :pac: ?

The people is the photo I seen are Arabs.
    By the way I quite like Arabs and from what I have seen of them they seem a nice family and they should be helped.
    Is being Irish better then being an Arab? NO.
    Being Irish is about having a family tree that can be traced back generations.

This is an Arab family that have been granted Irish citizenship.

If I moved to China and got granted Chinese citizenship would I then be a Chinese man?:rolleyes:

If a family of dolphins decided to live with sharks and they are accepted to the dolphins now become sharks?

If someone is granted citizenship how long must they wait until they are considered "Irish"?
    10 years?

30 years?

100 year?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

allah...:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

There are many Irish holidaymakers there as we write smart comments. Most of them not being tortured in jail.

There is a very clear difference between being caught in situation beyond your control and putting yourself in harms way.

Now unless you have been living in a cave since this whole conflict started you should be fully aware that travelling to Egypt at the present time is a bad idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

"Ah to be sure to be sure".

"Now wheres me pot of gold"

:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No it's implying that they were not there to cause trouble because they were women.

Au contraire, its pointing out he hardly went looking for trouble with three females in attendance.

You implied that the young man in Egypt was there to 'fight'. Why did you do that?
    The peaceful protests were being attacked as early as Wednesday so they had to have some suspicion of what could possibly happen,. This boy is 17. Who was his guardian on this trip and why didn't they remove him from such a situation?.

...they hid in the mosque. You were blaming the young lad before, now its the guardian. Please make up your mind.
    just wondering if they are willing to travel a couple of thousand miles to protest, did they attend any on their doorstep in their country of citizenship?

They didn't travel to protest, as they arrived in June.

If someone is granted citizenship how long must they wait until they are considered "Irish"?
    10 years?

30 years?

Well it depends on how we want to define things.
    These people are clearly 100% Muslim and from the picture have no DNA from any of the long established indigenous people of this island.

In the Politically correct dogma they can be called Irish now but that is not what comes to mind when a photo of them is viewed.

If they start to integrate there children could say they had one Arab parent but they live in Ireland that would be mostly Irish.
    The following generation would be Irish but would have some Arab ancestors.
    I would not expect to settle in Egypt keep my own religion and customs not mix and call myself and Arab.
    Again I have no problem with Muslims and we could learn a thing or two from them as regards our drink culture.

I would treat this family the same either way Arab or Irish but using the term Irish just seems forced.

I donated blood during the war in Lebanon ~ have I made the recipients Irish?.

That's you and yer liberal multi-cultural agenda. Somewhere now, an Arab fella is gasping for a pint and a batter burger with no idea why.

Nodin wrote: »
    Au contraire, its pointing out he hardly went looking for trouble with three females in attendance.

You implied that the young man in Egypt was there to 'fight'. Why did you do that?

...they hid in the mosque. You were blaming the young lad before, now its the guardian. Please make up your mind.

They didn't travel to protest, as they arrived in June.
    Which is sexist.

They admitted they attended a protest. so while they didn't travel specifically for this protest, they made it their business to be at the site of the protest that day.

If a child is under 18 the parents/guardian is responsible

Leftist wrote: »
    If they were white, irish born citizens who were arrested in a foreign state for participating in a peaceful process, they would be receiving a far different perspective from the same people who are suggesting they 'knew what they are getting into'

The difference in perspective is judged by these people entirely on ethnicity and race.

There are inherent dangers in travelling to Egypt. These this should immediately apparent to anyone with one iota of common sense.

"participating in a peaceful process", is a criminally oversimplified and quite frankly, horribly naïve description of the current situation. No doubt their actions are well intentioned and the process they were involved in was non violent but they should have been aware of the risks involved from outside.

• Advertisement

These people are clearly 100% Muslim and from the picture have no DNA from any of the long established indigenous people of this island.

In the Politically correct dogma they can be called Irish now but that is not what comes to mind when a photo of them is viewed.

If they start to integrate there children could say they had one Arab parent but they live in Ireland that would be mostly Irish.
    The following generation would be Irish but would have some Arab ancestors.
    I would not expect to settle in Egypt keep my own religion and customs not mix and call myself and Arab.
    Again I have no problem with Muslims and we could learn a thing or two from them as regards our drink culture.

I would treat this family the same either way Arab or Irish but using the term Irish just seems forced.

Would it surprise you if it was shown that the young lad was actually born here?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0817/468686-dublin-imams-family-in-besieged-cairo-mosque/

Speaking from their home in Firhouse in Dublin this morning, another sister Nasaybi said it is an extremely difficult situation for the family.
    The Halawa family moved to Ireland about 18 years ago.

The whereabouts of Somaia, 27, and Ibrihim, 17, are currently unknown.

10 years?

30 years?

It seems in some cases it depends how quickly they need to be bailed out of their country of Ancestry, after willingly getting them selves mixed up in a civil war

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just because they have an irish passport it doesnt make them irish in my eyes they went over there with only one objective in mind let em rot!!

There are inherent dangers in travelling to Egypt. These this should immediately apparent to anyone with one iota of common sense.

"participating in a peaceful process", is a criminally oversimplified and quite frankly, horribly naïve description of the current situation. No doubt their actions are well intentioned and the process they were involved in was non violent but they shuldhve ben aware of the risks involved.

Egypt has had two governments fall in less then two years.
    The Muslim Brotherhood had declared war or the ruling military government.
    If the deaths continue at the present rate they will have more deaths there by the end of October then all the people who died in the troubles in the North of Ireland.

I agree that you can not have a peaceful protest under those conditions.
    If this family took place in such a protest this was a very silly judgement call.
    I still agree with helping them they are already paying the price for their bad judgement.

Would it surprise you if it was shown that the young lad was actually born here?

Not really they already have Irish accents.
    Why go to a country that is on the brink of civil war?
    I have been there the amount of poverty mixed with really rich and no middle class is quite shocking.

Most of these protesters are poor.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just because they have an irish passport it doesnt make them irish in my eyes they went over there with only one objective in mind let em rot!!

Again

The son was born here ergo he is Irish.

Egypt has had two governments fall in less then two years.
    The Muslim Brotherhood had declared war or the ruling military government.
    If the deaths continue at the present rate they will have more deaths there by the end of October then all the people who died in the troubles in the North of Ireland.

I agree that you can not have a peaceful protest under those conditions.
    If this family took place in such a protest this was a very silly judgement call.
    I still agree with helping them they are already paying the price for their bad judgement.

You've stated very clearly a couple of very good reasons they shouldn't be there. Namely possible or actual declaration of war and a very high death rate. Very clear indications that this protest should not have been undertaken.

They were either naïve or uninformed/misinformed. To my mind there can be no other reasonable explanation for their being in Egypt. Perhaps there is another reason but I don't see it.

I'm sure the Irish diplomats are doing all they can but this would appear on the surface of it to be an entirely avoidable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Again

The son was born here ergo he is Irish.

Yea right real irish arnt they

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Yea right real irish arnt they

So you say anyone born here who's skin is not white is not Irish?

• Advertisement

These people are clearly 100% Muslim

....."muslim" isn't a race.
    from the picture have no DNA from any of the long established indigenous people of this island...

Racist cack, tbh.
    In the Politically correct dogma they can be called Irish now but that is not what comes to mind when a photo of them is viewed..

So what do you think when Israel Ilongu, Boidu Sayeh and Sam Omokuro line out for Westmeath? "Aliens have invaded a GAA pitch"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement