Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

bumper234 wrote: »
    So you say anyone born here who's skin is not white is not Irish?

Being born here puts a harp on his passport both his parents are from egypt he is no more irish then im egyption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Nodin wrote: »
    ....."muslim" isn't a race.

Racist cack, tbh.

So what do you think when Israel Ilongu, Boidu Sayeh and Sam Omokuro line out for Westmeath? "Aliens have invaded a GAA pitch"?

Not to mention sean og o'hailpin and Jason Sherlock proper Oirish lookin lads they are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

So you say anyone born here who's skin is not white is not Irish?

I do not agree with Sharmrocks tone.
    However these four are locked up in a Cairo prison.
    If they had acted Irish they should have stayed out of a bad situation in a foreign country.

Now I think our government should do all it can to help them but they should also get a good finger wagging for there lack of good judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Boombastic wrote: »

They admitted they attended a protest.

Which is rather more than you have. Have you ever attended a bank bail out protest or a protest on an irish issue? Why can't you answer this?

You implied that the young man in Egypt was there to 'fight'. Why did you do that?

so while they didn't travel specifically for this protest, they made it their business to be at the site of the protest that day.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

One word sums up these young people being in prison in Egypt having gone there with the blessings of their family but against the advice of the department of foreign affairs.

Propaganda!

• Advertisement

If they had acted Irish they should have stayed out of a bad situation in a foreign country.

O the lols.....

You know we're notorious for doing the opposite? And on occasion causing the situation in the first place? For somebody who likes to declare what is and isn't irish, you don't seem to have much idea of your own history.

I do not agree with Sharmrocks tone.
    However these four are locked up in a Cairo prison.

Now I think our government should do all it can to help them but they should also get a good finger wagging for there lack of good judgement.

Yeah like these fine upstanding citizens:rolleyes:

Irish man arrested after kicking Australian politician…while he was being filmed

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-man-arrested-after-kicking-australian-politician-while-he-was-being-filmed-548071-Aug2012/

Two Irish men arrested by Police following stabbing at Central Pattaya Bar

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/48236/irish-men-arrested-police-stabbing-central-pattaya-bar/

Drunken Irish rugby fans arrested in New Zealand

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/drunken-irish-rugby-fans-arrested-in-new-zealand-28762565.html

foggy_lad wrote: »
    One word sums up these young people being in prison in Egypt having gone there with the blessings of their family but against the advice of the department of foreign affairs.

Propaganda!

You know they travelled two months before the advice was issued...?

Nodin wrote: »

So what do you think when Israel Ilongu, Boidu Sayeh and Sam Omokuro line out for Westmeath? "Aliens have invaded a GAA pitch"?

No that is the process of integration taken place.
    How have I made a racist crack by the way?
    I said they don't look Irish they look Arab and they must think of the same as they took place in a protest in an Arab country.

By the way I made no mention of skin colour look are theit sense of dress.
    They need to get their heads out of their old culture and embrace their new one is a lot safer.

foggy_lad wrote: »

Propaganda!

They have been there MONTHS before all this started and certainly before any warnings were issued by the department of foreign affairs.

• Advertisement

How have I made a racist crack by the way?
    I said they don't look Irish they look Arab and they must thing of the same as they took place in a protest in an Arab country.

By the way I made no mention of skin colour look are there sense of dress.
    They need to get their heads out of their old culture and embrace their new one is a lot safer.

Yeah Ireland is a really safe place. Wasn't too long ago we were blowing each other up over religion. How easily the young forget:mad:

Irish man arrested after kicking Australian politician…while he was being filmed

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-man-arrested-after-kicking-australian-politician-while-he-was-being-filmed-548071-Aug2012/

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/48236/irish-men-arrested-police-stabbing-central-pattaya-bar/

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/drunken-irish-rugby-fans-arrested-in-new-zealand-28762565.html

Yes and quite rightly nobody cares what happens those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Seachmall wrote: »
    A 16 year old risking his life to protest a murderous regime and promote democracy is admirable in my books.

Much better than a 16 year old downing a few cans of Dutch and getting pissed around town.

I say the government should do everything they can to bring him home.
    This is not Tianamen Square.
    A few days prior to their arrest a police car was forced off a bridge and it's occupants stoned to death as they lay injured.
    Scores of policemen have been killed by these "peaceful protestor".
    25 today shot dead today in an ambush.
    How would you have dealt with the mob in the Mosque?

Petty nonsense though. In the oul days they knew what they were at
    http://irishamerica.com/2012/03/the-day-the-irish-invaded-canada/

Yeah Ireland is a really safe place. Wasn't too long ago we were blowing each other up over religion. How easily the young forget:mad:

I said safer not safe.
    Criminal gangs shooting each other and not always getting the right person.
    Alcohol related problems on our streets at night.

But none of that comes close to what the military government in Egypt did last week.

How have I made a racist crack by the way?.

"Racist cack"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your children start attending marches in support of the IRA/Unions/PIRA pick a group. What then?
    Then I would likely find myself in the same quandry that this man has. Teenagers are idiots, they probably thought this protest was a great idea.

What's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

they are obviously passionate about politics, I'm just wonder have they shown this passion about any issue which effect their home country
    Why should they?

If I moved abroad I don't think I'd feel compelled to protest the government seeing as I'm a guest in the country - if they protested against this government I'd bet there'd be people going on about how they have a nerve when they get to live here...

Maybe if I moved abroad I'd protest the government after a good stint living there, but I don't see how it should be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Why should they?

If I moved abroad I don't think he'd feel compelled to protest the government seeing as I'm a guest in the country - if they protested against this government I'd bet there'd be people going on about how they have a nerve when they get to live here...

Maybe if I moved abroad I'd protest the government after a good stint living there, but but I don't see how it's mandatory.
    So they want Egypt to be an Islamic State, and when they've succeeded they'll return to secular Ireland.
    And what becomes of the seculars in Egypt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Not to mention sean og o'hailpin and Jason Sherlock proper Oirish lookin lads they are :rolleyes:
    Seán Óg Ó hAilpín's father is from Tyrone. That makes Seán Óg Irish.
    Jason Sherlock's mother is Irish. That makes him Irish.

The people in this case who are currently locked up in prison aren't Irish. Their parents aren't Irish. They have no Irish ancestry in them.

• Advertisement

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín's father is from Tyrone. That makes Seán Óg Irish.
    Jason Sherlock's mother is Irish. That makes him Irish.

The people in this case who are currently locked up in prison aren't Irish. Their parents aren't Irish. They have no Irish ancestry in them.

And again i will say they have lived here for EIGHTEEN years and the young 17 year old WAS born here. But please don't let minor facts like that get in the way.

And again i will say they have lived here for EIGHTEEN years and the young 17 year old WAS born here. But please don't let minor facts like that get in the way.
    That doesn't matter. They will always be foreigners.

Even the IRISH one?

Even the IRISH one?
    I assume you mean the young fellow who was born in Ireland. He's still a foreigner and that he will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Only in your small mind.

I suppose you're 'native' Irish? :rolleyes:

I assume you mean the young fellow who was born in Ireland. He's still a foreigner and that he will remain.

Soooooo o'halpain was born outside of Ireland but because his father is Irish he is Irish by proxy.

Muslim kid is BORN in Ireland but because his parents were not that makes him????

Soooooo o'halpain was born outside of Ireland but because his father is Irish he is Irish by proxy.

Muslim kid is BORN in Ireland but because his parents were not that makes him????
    Seán Óg Ó hAilpín has irish blood in him and is as Irish (IMO) as any Irish man. Where he was born is irrelevant.

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín has irish blood in him and is as Irish (IMO) as any Irish man. Where he was born is irrelevant.

Hmmmmmmm

I was born in the UK my Mother was from the UK and i hold a British passport. My Father was Irish so by your reckoning i am in fact Irish but i just don't know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why is Saudi Arabia supporting sunni islamism in Syria with military aid, yet at the same time backing the Egyptian military in crushing a group whose ideology is also based on sunni islamism? What am i missing here?

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmmm

I was born in the UK my Mother was from the UK and i hold a British passport. My Father was Irish so by your reckoning i am in fact Irish but i just don't know it?
    If you consider yourself Irish that's no problem. If you consider yourself British that ain't no problem either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement