Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭

Ibrihim was arrested on Saturday along with his sisters Omaima, 20, Fatima, 22, and Somaia, 27.
    He completed his school leaving certificate before the summer holiday, and was due to hear back from the universities he applied to today.
    His father, Sheikh Hussein Halawa - the imam of Ireland's largest mosque - has appealed for the Irish Government to act quickly to free his children from detention.
    Ms Halawa said she was worried her siblings would be killed, telling RTE Radio: 'There is no difference now between anyone. They can kill anyone.

She admitted that her siblings had been involved in protests, but insisted that they were peaceful, adding: 'The people want democracy and other people want a coup. People in Egypt want democracy.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396993/Irish-teen-Ibrihim-Halawa-caught-Egypt-protests-beaten-hell-Cairo-prison.html#ixzz2cQ5eCF00
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

A young man, who should be out celebrating his acceptance offers in to college, is in a Cario prison. While perhaps every effort should be made to help these Irish citizens, but questions should be raised over what they were doing there.

Would you send you young teenager/son/brother on holiday to an unstable region and bring them to a protest which was likely to turn violent?

What was a 17 year old who was born and raised in Ireland doing at a protest in Egypt, is there a radical element here in Ireland and what measures are been taken to counteract this? This is not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause.

If they were not radicalized/brainwashed before they went, they will be by the time they get back. Did the parents not move to Ireland for a better life, were they out protesting at the bank bail outs or any other Irish issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Fools been told not to go there...

/sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Boombastic wrote: »
    What was a 17 year old who was born and raised in Ireland doing at a protest in Egypt, is there a radical element here in Ireland and what measures are been taken to counteract this? This is not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause.

Its a family of three girls and one lad.

Is there a list of things you have that people aren't allowed protest about?

No, its been a regular occurrence. Lads have gone off to fight for the Brits, French, Spanish, Americans, Australians and jaysus knows. As far as I know, few mickey fits were had over the fact. How did we get from being at a protest to "fight for a foreign cause"?
    If they were not radicalized/brainwashed before they went, they will be by the time they get back.

Not that you're flying in feet first with crap and hysteria or anything.
    Did the parents not move to Ireland for a better life, were they out protesting at the bank bail outs or any other Irish issue?

O look - xenophobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Maybe travelling to a country on the verge of civil war isn't such a good idea after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Nodin wrote: »

No, its been a regular occurrence. Lads have gone off to fight for the Brits, French, Spanish, Americans, Australians and jaysus knows. As far as I know, few mickey fits were had over the fact. How did we get from being at a protest to "fight for a foreign cause"?

Er, maybe all those people who went off to fight for other causes didn't go waving Irish passports and come crawling to the Irish govt to get them out of trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Its a family of three girls and one lad.

Is there a list of things you have that people aren't allowed protest about?

O look - xenophobia.

I know its a family of 3 girls and 1 lad, it says so with pictures and all in the link I posted;)

Fight for a foreign cause, I refer to that young boy (16) who went to fight in Syria http://www.irishtimes.com/news/navan-teenager-killed-fighting-with-syrian-rebels-1.1314065

Do you not think there is a strong possibility he could be killed? Who would wish to put their teenager in that position?

Not a xenophobe, they are obviously passionate about politics, I'm just wonder have they shown this passion about any issue which effect their home country

• Advertisement

Er, maybe all those people who went off to fight for other causes didn't go waving Irish passports and come crawling to the Irish govt to get them out of trouble?

.....who was fighting here? The three girls? the lad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

.....who was fighting here? The three girls? the lad?

Demonstrating....well, looking for trouble in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

For starters the thread title is misleading.

Although the headline (mail lol) says

Irish teenager caught up with his sisters in Egypt protests is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

The report says

A 17-year-old Irish boy who is currently in jail in Cairo could have been 'beaten to hell' by Egyptian prison guards, according to his sister.

Also

The Halawas had travelled to Egypt earlier this summer for a holiday and were joined by their mother a fortnight ago.

So it's not like they went over there KNOWING this was going to go the way it went.

I know its a family of 3 girls and 1 lad, it says so with pictures and all in the link I posted;)

Fight for a foreign cause, I refer to that young boy (16) who went to fight in Syria http://www.irishtimes.com/news/navan-teenager-killed-fighting-with-syrian-rebels-1.1314065

What's that to do with these three?
    Do you not think there is a strong possibility he could be killed? Who would wish to put their teenager in that position?

"teenagers" - the three girls have been locked up too. How do you know they didn't go to Egypt before trouble started?
    Not a xenophobe, they are obviously passionate about politics, I'm just wonder have they shown this passion about any issue which effect their home country

No, that's xenophobia.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

While I completely and utterly disagree with the way Egypt is treating people both in the street and in its prisons I can't help feeling that surely, the fellow knew what may be in store for him before he took to the street?

Not that I'm saying that the situation does have to change, and that if he was indeed protesting peacefully he should be set free immediately, but I think that should apply to everyone who is falsely imprisoned, not just this lad just cause his dad happens to live in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Do you not think they will come back bitter and angry after their experience and more willing to demonstrate and protest = more radicalised

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A 16 year old risking his life to protest a murderous regime and promote democracy is admirable in my books.

Much better than a 16 year old downing a few cans of Dutch and getting pissed around town.

I say the government should do everything they can to bring him home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Maybe travelling to a country on the verge of civil war isn't such a good idea after all

There are many Irish holidaymakers there as we write smart comments. Most of them not being tortured in jail.

Demonstrating....well, looking for trouble in other words.

Jaysus yeah. They should ban demonstrations. And that "dissent" thing. Only gougers, the lot of them.

What's that to do with these three?

"teenagers" - the three girls have been locked up too. How do you know they didn't go to Egypt before trouble started?

No, that's xenophobia.

The girls are over 18, the boy is not
    They were holidaying in Egypt! but they actively attended the protests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

bumper234 wrote: »
    The Halawas had travelled to Egypt earlier this summer for a holiday and were joined by their mother a fortnight ago.

So it's not like they went over there KNOWING this was going to go the way it went.

So why didn't they come home in the meantime? I have no patience for this sort of thing, waste of government resources getting them out of a mess they've only gotten themselves into. Of course if you're joining in the protests in a place as dangerous and volatile as Egypt at the moment bad things are going to happen. They're just very lucky they had their Irish passports to wave around when it did.

Do you not think they will come back bitter and angry after their experience and more willing to demonstrate and protest = more radicalised

I think they will come back and be glad that the Irish government did what they could to secure their release.:confused:

....that's based on a series of presumptions and assumptions that have little basis in fact. If they do get bitter and angry, it'll probably be after wading through a few threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are they Irish or Egyptian?

Tricky one for the Irish Gov - apparently 4 of their citizens but I don't think they want to rock the boat, we love our neutrality and all !!

The girls are over 18, the boy is not
    They were holidaying in Egypt! but they actively attended the protests

"actively" eh? O the horror.

• Advertisement

So why didn't they come home in the meantime? I have no patience for this sort of thing, waste of government resources getting them out of a mess they've only gotten themselves into. Of course if you're joining in the protests in a place as dangerous and volatile as Egypt at the moment bad things are going to happen. They're just very lucky they had their Irish passports to wave around when it did.

ok lets say you live in Canada and come home to visit family and in the meantime the government starts killing people while you are here. Do you protest about the killings or do you hide under your bed while looking for a way...actually don't bother i know what you're going to say:rolleyes:

ok lets say you live in Canada and come home to visit family and in the meantime the government starts killing people while you are here. Do you protest about the killings or do you hide under your bed while looking for a way...actually don't bother i know what you're going to say:rolleyes:

He was born and raised in Ireland. So....

so....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

NIMAN wrote: »
    Are they Irish or Egyptian?

Irish.

And has relatives there in Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

If they were white, irish born citizens who were arrested in a foreign state for participating in a peaceful process, they would be receiving a far different perspective from the same people who are suggesting they 'knew what they are getting into'

The difference in perspective is judged by these people entirely on ethnicity and race.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Let's say I did the former - how much would you expect the Canadian government to get involved on my behalf?

Leaving aside the utter unfairness of said government only getting involved on behalf of one person, not the several hundred non-Canadians who might be equally in need of assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have no patience for this sort of thing

What sort of thing?

The selfless and peaceful promotion of freedom for those who live under totalitarian rule?

Ya, what muppet would want to encourage that?

so....?

So it's not like coming home from Canada and attending a protest in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

People are protesting. It's their right. They are then being shot dead or imprisoned and tortured because they protested.

But it annoys you that the Irish govt might find time to help them out? The flippancy with which you say these things, and 'wave their passports around' leads me to hope, fervently, that you really haven't a fcuking clue how serious the situation is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement