Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish teenager is 'being beaten to hell' in a Cairo prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seachmall wrote: »
    A 16 year old risking his life to protest a murderous regime and promote democracy is admirable in my books.

Much better than a 16 year old downing a few cans of Dutch and getting pissed around town.

I say the government should do everything they can to bring him home.

Depends on your version of Democracy, do you understand the complexity at play over their at the moment ?

And what the ousted government were bringing in particularly pertaining to the rights of women as per the UN human rights charter.

I would garner from your post you dont have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

listermint wrote: »
    Depends on your version of Democracy, do you understand the complexity at play over their at the moment ?

And what the ousted government were bringing in particularly pertaining to the rights of women as per the UN human rights charter.

I would garner from your post you dont have a clue.

How much do you reckon a 17 year old Irish citzen would understand about the situation, enough to protest and risk their lives in Egypt?

Boombastic wrote: »
    How much do you reckon a 17 year old Irish citzen would understand about the situation, enough to protest and risk their lives in Egypt?

What does age or citizenship have to do with it?

Anyone can educate themselves on the matters at hand. Im unsure as to what your question is.

Anyone can educate themselves on the matters at hand. Im unsure as to what your question is.

Who is educating them on such matters and what bias slant?

The age and citizenship refer to the age and citizenship of this lad in prison

Who is educating them on such matters and what bias slant?

I am unsure as to which side you think i am on ?

also reread the post i was replying to..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Keep up Nodin, I answered that in Post #42

Why can't an Irish person protest in Canada?

I am unsure as to which side you think i am on ?

also reread the post i was replying to..

I'm just wondering what motivated this boy to risk his life in violent protests in a third world country he has never lived

I'd say its "What are the Muslamic infidels at now?" meself.

I just wondering what motivated this boy to risk his life in violent protests in a third world country he has never lived

....he has family there? He gives a crap? Perhaps both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'm just wondering what motivated this boy to risk his life in violent protests in HIS ANCESTRAL HOME

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Did the parents not move to Ireland for a better life, were they out protesting at the bank bail outs or any other Irish issue?

Were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As far as I can tell the only evidence to say hes been beaten to anything is that the sister thats here was talking to someone else on saturday who had been released from the same place and said they were beating men , but that the person didnt know her brother or what he looked like. So possibly not beaten to hell.

I'm just wondering what motivated this boy to risk his life in violent protests in a third world country he has never lived

The same thing that motivates the protests after the 12th July, Mob mentality and the feeling of one group being oppressed by another (rightly or wrongly) perceptions are determined by your surroundings.

bumper234 wrote: »
    FYP

Hey son, you've just got your leaving cert result and you got accepted in to the University course to become a Human Rights lawyer and really help people

Hey son, go protest and possibly get yourself killed

I know which I'd want for my children

Hey son, (........) children

It's been explained to you why he might want to go.

Nodin wrote: »
    It's been explained to you why he might want to go.

Because he was radicalized?

Have you ever taken to the streets protested about ANYTHING ever?

You can always tell there's an agenda when people start evading points made.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86082528&postcount=70

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86082530&postcount=71

They're guesses, just as valid as mine

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have you ever taken to the streets protested about ANYTHING ever?

I was going to protest against a regime in a foreign unstable third world country but then I thought to myself 'am I ****ing stupid, I might get killed' and stayed at home

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering what motivated this boy to risk his life in violent protests in HIS ANCESTRAL HOME

This is not a guess. His parents are Egyptian his grandparents are Egyptian ergo Egypt is his ancestral home.

I was going to protest against a regime in a foreign unstable third world country but then I thought to myself 'am I ****ing stupid, I might get killed' and stayed at home

I will take that as a no then. Also why do you keep insisting Egypt is a "third world country"?

....no, given that it is his ancestral home and he has family there, while you've been screaming "radical" since the OP with SFA to go on.

By the way - you never explained this from the OP
    What was a 17 year old who was born and raised in Ireland doing at a protest in Egypt, is there a radical element here in Ireland and what measures are been taken to counteract this? This is not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause.

How did we get from "protest" to "radical element" and then to "not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause"? Explain the logic to me, please.

You might also be as good as to answer Bumper234's question.

He said "anything, ever", I believe....

He said "anything, ever", I believe....

I'm not the one possibly being beaten in an Egyptian prison :)

Breathing hate through generations with this ancestral crap. Why didn't his father stay in Egypt? was it because he could have a better life in Ireland? Why would he allow his son to go back and get killed in a country he removed himself from?

There is a protest at the Egyptian Embassy today. Saw report on Breakingnews.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-called-to-protest-at-egyptian-embassy-in-dublin-604100.html

Jake1 wrote: »
    There is a protest at the Egyptian Embassy today. Saw report on Breakingnews.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-called-to-protest-at-egyptian-embassy-in-dublin-604100.html

It would have been a lot safer for them to go down to that to express their views

I'm not the one possibly being beaten in an Egyptian prison :)

Breathing hate through generations with this ancestral crap.

He asked -"Have you ever taken to the streets protested about ANYTHING ever?"

Have you?

From your OP
    What was a 17 year old who was born and raised in Ireland doing at a protest in Egypt, is there a radical element here in Ireland and what measures are been taken to counteract this? This is not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause.

How did we get from "protest" to "radical element" and then to "not the first teenager who has gone to fight a foreign cause"? Explain the logic to me, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It would have been a lot safer for them to go down to that to express their views
    Eh... the main aim of the protest appears to be to bring him back to Ireland. No doubt the people there are all friends of his dad who probably asked them to protest.

• Advertisement

He asked -"Have you ever taken to the streets protested about ANYTHING ever?"

Have you?

From your OP

This child was in Egypt at a PROTEST. He was possibly captured, imprisoned and beaten. He is an Irish citizen so it is a FOREIGN CAUSE. If he gets home safely he will be angry and bitter about the people who beat him. He may use that angerness and bitterness to promote a radical element (Although the fact that he was out protesting, with such high stakes involved (His Life) would lead me to believe that he is already involved with a RADICAL ELEMENT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement