Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S €215 delivered on amazon.de

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Cpw in Dundrum shopping centre have 3 working models on display

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Performance wise, how would this compare to the likes of a Galaxy S3 / iPhone 4s (apart from the OS which doesn't bother me too much - I only use about 5 apps daily and probably online banking is the only one I would miss).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Performance wise, how would this compare to the likes of a Galaxy S3 / iPhone 4s (apart from the OS which doesn't bother me too much - I only use about 5 apps daily and probably online banking is the only one I would miss).

My wifes old HTC Radar running W7 is easily just as quick if not faster than either you mentioned, the W8 phones would be faster again id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

I've never experienced any slowdown or lag on my phone which is similarly specced to the Ativ. Even low end WP8s such as the Nokia 520 which can be had for less than a ton are zippy.

Its a very lightweight OS. The Ativ is a premium high end phone that's now cheap because Nokia controls the market. Samsung and HTC just got overshadowed by them, despite offering brilliant handsets.

Moral of the story; this is a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

balfe1990 wrote: »
    WP8 won't have this problem.

You sound quite convinced - do you work in Microsoft Management? Are you sure they wouldn't like to earn next pile of money on selling new phones in 1-2 years time? Or at least their friends from Nokia?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

zom wrote: »
    You sound quite convinced - do you work in Microsoft Management? Are you sure they wouldn't like to earn next pile of money on selling new phones in 1-2 years time? Or at least their friends from Nokia?

Both iPhones and Android phones from years ago are compatible with current apps (at least most of them) and it hasn't hurt sales of newer phones. Also, plenty of WP8 apps will still work on WP7.x phones, only apps using the newer APIs won't. E.g. If boards made an app for WP8 it would be trivial to make it work with WP7.x whereas a game made using native code would be very difficult to make work on WP7.x.

Edit: Just realised his post was talking about OS updates and not apps. The same still goes though. iPhones get updated to the newest version (missing some features) yet people still buy the new one when it comes out. Same with Nexus devices yet LG/Google weren't able to make enough of them to keep up demand. The Nexus 7 was incredibly popular and yet I still know people who bought it who are getting the new one when it comes out. People like to have the latest and greatest or something shiny and new even if their current one is still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While theres a lot of apps for older android phones, you do hit lots of them that require 4+ and many of the older phones don't get updates. Even if they do many of the phone operators here don't bother with creating updates for their phones.

Theres a heck of a lot of devices on old versions of android.

http://www.slashgear.com/new-android-stats-show-jelly-bean-continues-to-grow-02280277/

zom wrote: »
    Straight from the horses mouth buddy: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/02/microsoft-promises-windows-phone-8-devices-will-make-next-os-upgrade-cut/

Your logic is a bit silly though. Apple update their older phones every year, and they still sell new handsets.

The reality is, by the time WP9 does release, most people will dump their WP8 for a brand new device that runs WP9, irrespective of the fact that their old phone now runs the same operating system. People want the latest and greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

mad muffin wrote: »
    It takes a few days to start processing and they don't take the money until they ship.

Once shipped it arrived the next day.

How many days were you waiting for them to process the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I ordered Tuesday at lunchtime and money taken this morning and shipping soon.

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    I ordered Tuesday at lunchtime and money taken this morning and shipping soon.

Cool, ordered it yesterday, so hopefully will see some movement tomorrow and have it Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

And HERE Drive by Nokia is widely considered one of the best TbyT satnavs. You DL the maps for offline use too.

Is this a voice navigation? That's what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Xenji wrote: »
    How many days were you waiting for them to process the order?

Before I ordered it I had changed credit cards and didn't save the address correctly.

Once that was sorted it took around three days to process. Once it shipped it took only a day to arrive from Italy via UPS express.

Etnies wrote: »
    Is this a voice navigation? That's what I was looking for
    Yep.
    http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA136277

Mines just shipped a little over three days after ordering.

Mines just shipped a little over three days after ordering.

Same here, just got the confirmation e-mail there

The price on this has just dropped a few euro.

Contact Amazon if you ordered recently and ask for the difference

Youll be pleasantly surprised :)

The price on this has just dropped a few euro.

Contact Amazon if you ordered recently and ask for the difference

Youll be pleasantly surprised :)

How much did you get back?

How much did you get back?

I think they messed up the VAT amount when they calculated the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Very tempted to buy one but I'm not sure if I'd like wp8. Also windows don't seem to have any equivalent to Google music. Having to store all my music on an sd card would be like taking a step back.

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Very tempted to buy one but I'm not sure if I'd like wp8. Also windows don't seem to have any equivalent to Google music. Having to store all my music on an sd card would be like taking a step back.
    Yes it does. Xbox Music, built right into the phone. 30 day trial, then 9.99 for a month or 100 quid for a year.
    Very tightly integrated into the OS and offers unlimited streaming and downloads of some stupidly high number of songs (30 mill I believe).

I think it's a fantastic service, although making playlists on the phone is an absolute pain. However I think since it syncs across devices, you're able to create one on your PC and then have it pop up on your phone.

If that doesn't float your boat, there's always Spotify, Pandora etc.

Yes it does. Xbox Music, built right into the phone. 30 day trial, then 9.99 for a month or 100 quid for a year.
    Very tightly integrated into the OS and offers unlimited streaming and downloads of some stupidly high number of songs (30 mill I believe).

I think it's a fantastic service, although making playlists on the phone is an absolute pain. However I think since it syncs across devices, you're able to create one on your PC and then have it pop up on your phone.

If that doesn't float your boat, there's always Spotify, Pandora etc.

What about my own music? I can upload up to 20,000 songs for free with Google play music. Do Microsoft offer anything like that?

What about my own music? I can upload up to 20,000 songs for free with Google play music. Do Microsoft offer anything like that?
    Oh sorry, read your post wrong.

Do you mean upload to the cloud and stream from there? Not sure if there's an offical solution since I don't have any use for that, but I know you can store them on Skydrive and play them from there using a certain app.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

You could set up a subsonic server on your pc and stream your music from that.

I've been doing it since I got my Ativ S and it's worked brilliantly so far. The first month is free and then it's $12 a year.

You could set up a subsonic server on your pc and stream your music from that.

I've been doing it since I got my Ativ S and it's worked brilliantly so far. The first month is free and then it's $12 a year.

Wouldn't like having my laptop on 24/7 though. Sticking with android is probably easier.

Can you upload to SkyDrive and stream from there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could use the Google play music website. Some people actually prefer it to the app.

Phone just arrived there, must say it looks very well, the OS is very slick and responsive, it is very easy to navigate and allows you to customise a lot of of the appearance of the phone.

Phone just arrived there, must say it looks very well, the OS is very slick and responsive, it is very easy to navigate and allows you to customise a lot of of the appearance of the phone.

Don't forget to check if you need to install GDR2 before you set it up. You will need to reset the phone after installing it if data sense doesn't show up in the list of apps.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    Don't forget to check if you need to install GDR2 before you set it up. You will need to reset the phone after installing it if data sense doesn't show up in the list of apps.

Yeah saw you had posted that before, so it was the first thing I did

Advertisement