Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S €215 delivered on amazon.de

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

My last three phones have been WP. The one thing the platform lacks is quality applications. The OS is really smooth, the only problem is poorly built apps eg.) spotify. Most companies don't care about developing applications for WP and when everyone is using an application(snapchat) forget about joining in on the fun. Microsoft are spending millions in trying to get developers to build applications for the platform so hopefully more quality applications will be developed for the platform.

Not having certain applications is really annoying and some applications are very poorly built. Google won't build any applications for WP. If you're someone who needs the latest apps do not get this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

balfe1990 wrote: »
    I think a lot of them just parrot what other people have said in the past. No real notion of what the platform is about.

Sure, it most definitely has it's downsides, most fledging OS's do, but it's improving by the day and it really was a breath of fresh air to me, switching from Android.

Apparently the 30+ engineers in the company I work for who are forced to use both W7 and now W8 phones are all wrong, everyone agrees they are crap, the list of every day annoyances is endless.

Maybe one of you can help me with one of them though, how do I change my default search engine to something that actually finds stuff like Google, as Bing is useless in IE.

The 150,000 apps hardly any of them are usable, they are all crap that dont work, even the viber app is slow, suppose this will be better in the future tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Etnies wrote: »
    Apparently the 30+ engineers in the company I work for who are forced to use both W7 and now W8 phones are all wrong, everyone agrees they are crap, the list of every day annoyances is endless.

Maybe one of you can help me with one of them though, how do I change my default search engine to something that actually finds stuff like Google, as Bing is useless in IE.

The 150,000 apps hardly any of them are usable, they are all crap that dont work, even the viber app is slow, suppose this will be better in the future tho.

Must be crap engineers that know sweet F all what they are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had 5 Android phones (my last one being a Galaxy Note 2) and while I loved it, I got bored with Android in the end to be honest.

WP7 wasn't up to much but the new WP8 phones/OS are a serious step up (have a Lumia 920, HTC 8s and a Samsung Ativ S in the office) so I recently swiched over to the Lumia 920 and haven't looked back... excellent battery life, very fast and importantly, no lag (unlike even my Note 2). As for apps, I haven't found anything I'm missing and use the mobile site for AIB which is the same as the Android app anyway.

WP is definitely improving rapidly and the latest update is better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

mad muffin wrote: »
    You followed the link I posted and they cancelled your order?:confused:

I think you are mistaken.

Waddayamean I'm be mistaken:

Ordered it

Item was marked "not dispatched" for 3 days

Contacted amazon.de

They said they do not dispatch abroad, offered to cancel or send to any address in Germany.

Had it sent to my brother's German address.

You know better?

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Must be crap engineers that know sweet F all what they are on about.

And why is that cause you say so? Great response tho. I take it you haven't got a solution to my issue though no?

And why is that cause you say so? Great response tho. I take it you haven't got a solution to my issue though no?

I already said whats great about w phones.
    oh our engineers say they are crap so em! errrr! eh!!! they must be crap :rolleyes:
    Parrot springs to mind :rolleyes:

Not at all lad, I stated my opinion and that of about 30 others I work with and you came on to contradict me to tell me 'that i know sweet fck all' because I don't agree with you ha. and you're right great battery life is the high point of the OS i'll agree with that.

You haven't found out how to change from Bing for me yet have you?

Enjoy your phone anyway

Not at all lad, I stated my opinion and that of about 30 others I work with and you came on to contradict me to tell me 'that i know sweet fck all' because I don't agree with you ha. and you're right great battery life is the high point of the OS i'll agree with that.

Enjoy your phone anyway
    Wasn't referring to you knowing sweet f all man, I meant the engineers, sorry for confusion.
    I haven't owned a W8 phone yet(played around with a mates one a few times though) so can't help with bling issue, I hate it on my W7 phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

marrm wrote: »
    Waddayamean I'm be mistaken:

Ordered it

Item was marked "not dispatched" for 3 days

Contacted amazon.de

They said they do not dispatch abroad, offered to cancel or send to any address in Germany.

Had it sent to my brother's German address.

You know better?

That's strange. I ordered it and got it last week from amazon.de and a few people have received theirs the last couple of days.

Are you sure you ordered it from a amazon and not a third party?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This took me literally 5 seconds to find.

http://snippets.pocketprimer.com/2013/05/24/change-the-default-search-engine-for-your-windows-phone-8.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Enjoy your phone anyway

If you are talking about the systemwide search as represented by the capacitive search button, then you can't.
    It is a Windows Phone and search stretches throughout the OS, so of course MS are going to use their own technology.

Changing the default search engine in IE itself is carrier/manufacturer dependent apparently.

I'm talking about WP8.

HTH.

Was that Bing or Google search? ;)

I have *everything I need, just saying.
    (I also own an HTC One so I ain't anti-Android at all)
    The million or whatver it is apps on Play and the Applestore - a good guess would be 99% of them are shít and useless.

*Just waiting on my Danske Bank app, they have apps for all Scandinavian markets already.

PS This is getting way OT on a Bargain Alerts thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Sure, it has it's niggles, but it's pretty much still in it's infancy. It does mostly everything that I want it to do, and it does it well. If you're some sort of engineer whizzkid who wants VPNs and WiFis and other stuff that I don't understand, then you may have a legit complaint. But I wouldn't know.

As for your question; depending on your carrier and make of phone, go to Settings>Applications>IE>Advanced and you should see an option to "change default search provider". It's not available on mine, possibly because I bought it unlocked from the UK.

Alternatively (and this is perhaps an even better idea), you can DL the Google search app and pin it to your Start Screen. Boom, instant search with one press.

And the bolded part, I'm not going to address. It's nonsense and you know it.

Yea I was using that, but there's no back button which is why I wanted to use the browser, things like this is what I'm talking about tiny stupid annoyances.

There is no option to change search engine in IE on my O2 phone either.

Email aswell there is no easy way to get into deleted items, drafts etc, for instance you need 4 taps to access it.. Why? why not have it easily accessible like every thing else.

And the apps I'm right about, if you took away all the Youtube and Flashlight apps there wouldnt be any apps left ha.

Also is there a Step by Step navigation satnav app? I havent been able to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

ordered but no movement or cash taken??

Yea I was using that, but there's no back button which is why I wanted to use the browser, things like this is what I'm talking about tiny stupid annoyances.

In the Google made Google app? The capacitive back button is the back button!

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    In the Google made Google app? The capacitive back button is the back button!

Oh never tried it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

ordered but no movement or cash taken??

It takes a few days to start processing and they don't take the money until they ship.

Once shipped it arrived the next day.

• Advertisement

There is no option to change search engine in IE on my O2 phone either.

Email aswell there is no easy way to get into deleted items, drafts etc, for instance you need 4 taps to access it.. Why? why not have it easily accessible like every thing else.

And the apps I'm right about, if you took away all the Youtube and Flashlight apps there wouldnt be any apps left ha.

Also is there a Step by Step navigation satnav app? I havent been able to find one
    There is a back button - the capacative button on the far left. As for forward, you can just go to "Recent" and select whatever page you want to jump to. Not as elegant as it could be, perhaps, but it certainly gets the job done with a minimal amount of taps.

Getting into folders and sub folders in the email client shouldn't take 4 presses from within the app, only three. And it's not like there's any lag present in WP8, so there's no undue periods of waiting. Those three taps can take less than a second and a half.

Sorry about the dafault search provider, some carriers have disabled the option to change, for reasons unbeknownst to me. Just DL the Google app and you're laughing.

And HERE Drive by Nokia is widely considered one of the best TbyT satnavs. You DL the maps for offline use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Anything like this for Windows Phone 7 or Windows Phone 7.8 ???
    balfe1990 wrote: »

And HERE Drive by Nokia is widely considered one of the best TbyT satnavs. You DL the maps for offline use too.

Not for Windows Phone 7 or Windows Phone 7.8.
    So guys - enjoy your WP phones now, as soon there will be no more apps for your system and your lovely WP mobile will match Nokia 3310...

Nope, every Windows Phone 8 will be updated to WP9 whenever that rolls out(at least 14 or 15 months).

The reason WP7.x can't enjoy many of the benefits and doesn't share every app is because they changed the kernel for WP8, meaning they're two different operating systems, they didn't just build upon the foundations of WP7 for WP8.

WP8 won't have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

Phone to me looks good, but shame about the size of the thing..
    Size and / or weight: 7.1 x 0.8 x 13.7 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just ordered one there, really good deal for the price of the phone and the Windows 8 OS looks very sleek and responsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CLARiiON wrote: »

What are you comparing it with a similar screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

beauf wrote: »
    What are you comparing it with a similar screen?

Nah, just a ruler

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's basically the same as the Galaxy S3 so if you have one of those or know someone that does, this is the same size

CLARiiON wrote: »

Dougal. ?

Maybe you're just holding it too close. It will look smaller at arms length. :confused:

• Advertisement

Any shops still carrying these here in Dublin?

Advertisement