Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Ativ S €215 delivered on amazon.de

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 eggnog98

This seems like a steal to me! It says you can use up to 32gb but i've read reviews where people claim to be using 64gb. It's not 4G compatible but i don't think that will matter to me long-term. Others have problems with the OS i.e. Phone switching off or music transferring issues. If anyone has this phone would you recommend this?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

windows phone = sh... phone

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Atrides wrote: »
    windows phone = sh... phone

Do you have a windows phone or is this a "Man Utd is better than Liverpool" type arguement?

there is a big gap in the irish market for mid priced phones where you either buy a €100 phone or a €500 phone

Comparable phones price wise would be HTC 8S, Samsung Galaxy Ace II, Sony Xperia J, HTC Desire X, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

This phone is better than all of the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

eggnog98 wrote: »
    This seems like a steal to me! It says you can use up to 32gb but i've read reviews where people claim to be using 64gb. It's not 4G compatible but i don't think that will matter to me long-term. Others have problems with the OS i.e. Phone switching off or music transferring issues. If anyone has this phone would you recommend this?

It is a steal, I bought from the .de site (make sure you buy through Amazon, not any reseller) and it was over 50e dearer one month ago.

It's a great phone and OS for the price. Smooth as butter, only app I'm missing is my banking app.

Windows blue update for the phone is due out in 2014, currently this phone receives the latest Microsoft update called GDR2 (beware, this was meant to enable FM radio on it but for some reason it hasn't - some people are saying the phone doesn't have the chip for it but others are saying the opposite)<-- anyway, tunein radio will do the job though that will use data out and about)
    GDR3 will be out sometime in next two months.

Battery life is excellent, removable battery + microsd card slot.

Phone is the brother to Galaxy S3/S4 in looks

For the price it is top notch hardware + WP8 which is a really great mobile OS.

PS I haven't had a problem with phone switching off or transferring files inc music

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I got this phone last week through the link I posted. Arrived next day after shipping from Italy.

Bought a class 4 16gb micro SD together with the phone. Coming from the iPhone 5, I'm really enjoying it.

Hasn't rebooted once and transferring music to the card was a simple drag and drop affair.

Music quality is really excellent, better than the iPhone 5 it replaced. Screen is lovely and AMOLED really suites WP8.

Only annoying things so far is one volume for everything and IE isn't as good as Safari.

I don't think you can beat it for the price. :D

Oh and if you get it install GDR2(OS version:8.0.10327.77) straight away before setting up the phone as you need to reset the phone to get data sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Stay away from Windows phones would be my advice, interface is terrible have the misfortune as having one as my work phone, pain to txt send mails, browse the internet on and the apps are atrocious.

I don't have access to a comp at this moment (dwarf-screen mobile) so forgive my ignorance but can anyone confirm this is unlocked?

I don't have access to a comp at this moment (dwarf-screen mobile) so forgive my ignorance but can anyone confirm this is unlocked?

Yes, it's sim free.

Cheers for the feedback lads! Took the punt and by the sounds of it won't be disappointed :-) Thanks again!

Cheers for the feedback lads! Took the punt and by the sounds of it won't be disappointed :-) Thanks again!

Don't forget. When you get it to update it first. You will have to then reset the phone to get data sense. Data sense will show up in the list of apps.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    I got this phone last week through the link I posted. Arrived next day after shipping from Italy.

Bought a class 4 16gb micro SD together with the phone. Coming from the iPhone 5, I'm really enjoying it.

Hasn't rebooted once and transferring music to the card was a simple drag and drop affair.

Music quality is really excellent, better than the iPhone 5 it replaced. Screen is lovely and AMOLED really suites WP8.

Only annoying things so far is one volume for everything and IE isn't as good as Safari.

I don't think you can beat it for the price. :D

Oh and if you get it install GDR2(OS version:8.0.10327.77) straight away before setting up the phone as you need to reset the phone to get data sense.

Hope you're enjoying it as much as I am, mad muffin ;-)

Yes, the one volume for all is annoying hopefully that's fixed soon.
    I actually love IE on this phone and my RT - it's blazing fast.
    Another thing that needs looking at the moment is IE doesn't sync to WP8 from W8 or RT.
    That was a bit of an oversight IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Etnies wrote: »
    Stay away from Windows phones would be my advice, interface is terrible have the misfortune as having one as my work phone, pain to txt send mails, browse the internet on and the apps are atrocious.

Are you serious?

Everything you mentioned above could be considered strong points for WP8...
    Email integration is top-notch, texting is a breeze with an amazing stock keyboard/speech to text client thrown in. IE is zippy and competent, only thing I could lobby against it is the lack of a forward button.

What do you mean the apps are atrocious? That's quite a broad and ambiguous statement. I rarely have any problems with apps in terms of quality, they always function as expected and look great.

The "scarcity" of apps isn't ideal, but there's 150,000+ of them so you're always able to find an alternative to the one you're looking for if it's not available. Oftentimes said alternatives are better than their offical counterparts.

And you're seriously the first person I've ever heard critisise the interface. I personally think it's gorgeous and fresh, which is in stark contrast to the drab, tired and static UI of iOS and to a lesser extent, Droid.

OT, 215 quid sounds like a pretty killer price. Just don't expect much support from Samsung in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Are you serious?

I could create long list of "cons" for Win Phone if I would be patient enough to remember and record them. Maybe because I use old LG which suppose to run 7.0 not 7.8 as it is at the moment (or rather suppose to be in bin already as it was announced October 2010). Closed apps environment for that system is so much pain - you can't even build simple battery monitor or mobile network enabler. Apps market is full of such crap that it's embarrassing to admit of being programmer. It is nice simple OS if you don't want too much from your phone. But if you have collection of FLVs or Flash on your favorite website - you're in trouble...

Is it at all possible to use adobe flash on this phone via an update or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

The Good News: Price now down to €201.99 again. :-)

The Very Bad News: The system accepts your order but nothing happens. You send in a query, they reply " Sorry, we do not ship abroad" and cancel it. :-(

But my brother lives in Germany, had it redirected to him. ;-)

Nicephone, buut no FM radio :-((

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

marrm wrote: »

The Very Bad News: The system accepts your order but nothing happens. You send in a query, they reply " Sorry, we do not ship abroad" and cancel it. :-(

How long did you wait before contacting customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Is it at all possible to use adobe flash on this phone via an update or ?

NO. The point is that Microsoft created system with small "virtual machine" inside of it. They limited virtual machine to specific set of procedures and let kids (programmers) play with it. It is hard to code anything more than some icons flying across the background when you move/touch you phone.

marrm wrote: »

You followed the link I posted and they cancelled your order?:confused:

I think you are mistaken.

What apps can you get on this?
    (yes I know probably a long list) :)

mathie wrote: »
    probably easier if you listed the apps you are after.

wpcentral is a good source for all things Windows Phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

One of the positives to windows phone is that you can pin any webpage to your start screen, so i have my fantasy football team as an "app"

Also, search for "microsoft research" they have the best faceswap app

mtdelany wrote: »
    One of the positives to windows phone is that you can pin any webpage to your start screen, so i have my fantasy football team as an "app"

Also, search for "microsoft research" they have the best faceswap app

I love that face swap app :D

probably easier if you listed the apps you are after.

wpcentral is a good source for all things Windows Phone.

Well its just for my dad so Youtube, Gmail (although can possibly switch him to Hotmail - is that even used anymore?), a good Irish news app, LiveScore, FaceBook.

Thanks
    m

Well its just for my dad so Youtube, Gmail (although can possibly switch him to Hotmail - is that even used anymore?), a good Irish news app, LiveScore, FaceBook.

Thanks
    m
    rte news, live score and the rest all there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just have to laugh at people slating windows phones
    I have an old one, HTC Radar to be precise running WP7 and its faster than my brothers S3 and my current andriod phone motorola Razr I which is almost identical in terms of performance as the S3 both phones are no slouches.
    The latest WP are just fantastic,im weighing up getting a Nokia 925 or HTC one soon.
    Apart from so called lack of apps [150,000 is enough for me personally] i find windows phones to be brilliant,the latest in particular are excellent.
    Much more efficient OS than andriod or iOS ,battery life always a lot better too although the Razr I has by far the best andriod battery life on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Anybody get confirmation of delivery??

Anybody get confirmation of delivery??
    What do you mean?

Thanks
    m
    MyTube is an amazing Youtube app(.99c). The developer is constantly improving it. It's a really beautiful way to watch vids. There's a YT app devved by Microsoft(because Google didn't want to bother their barney making one). At one stage it was brilliant (no ads, could DL vids, watch private and reserved vids etc.), but then Google threw a wobbler and had it neutered, because it was better than their app for Droid, and because it "violated their APIs". Bollocks. That app is simply called Youtube.

You can just integrate Gmail into the phone, no app required(I think, don't use Gmail). There's a tile that you can pin to your Start screen and it should take you straight to your inbox.
    Hotmail has been totally dissolved in favour of Outlook; which works seamlessly with WP8. The web based Outlook is hugely improved over Hotmail too. If you can, I'd get him to abandon Gmail in favour of Outlook, although I'm pretty sure you can have both running in tandem on the phone.

The RTÉ app is very good. There's loads of news aggregators too, I'd recommend Weave.

LiveScore is here, can't comment on it, don't use it.

And there's a million Facebook apps, they all work more or less the same.

Dcully wrote: »
    I just have to laugh at people slating windows phones
    I have an old one, HTC Radar to be precise running WP7 and its faster than my brothers S3 and my current andriod phone motorola Razr I which is almost identical in terms of performance as the S3 both phones are no slouches.
    The latest WP are just fantastic,im weighing up getting a Nokia 925 or HTC one soon.
    Apart from so called lack of apps [150,000 is enough for me personally] i find windows phones to be brilliant,the latest in particular are excellent.
    Much more efficient OS than andriod or iOS ,battery life always a lot better too although the Razr I has by far the best andriod battery life on the market.
    I think a lot of them just parrot what other people have said in the past. No real notion of what the platform is about.

Sure, it most definitely has it's downsides, most fledging OS's do, but it's improving by the day and it really was a breath of fresh air to me, switching from Android.

• Advertisement

I use Metrotube for my youtube, again beautiful & functional
    loads of footy apps, i have downloaded 5 but haven't tried all yet
    there are heaps of camera lenses and nokias suite of here apps are available too

Advertisement