Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What do people reckon the starting team will be? Maurice and Bennett in for Devine and Kearney - Moran dropping back to midfield with Maurice half forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

This nonsense annoys me. Not a hope that team will start

Kilkenny, and Cork never have to name these dummy teams, do we think we're smarter down here or something, it's embarrassing at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

What was the rule change made this year in relation to the naming of teams? Because I think they've sent out the same teamsheet every game with the exception being Austin Gleeson's injury meaning they named Shane Sully the last two games.

Im not sure to be honest. On second thoughts it probably will be close enough to the starting 15. But with all due respect has kearney even touched the sliothar during the league. Hes obviously not ready for this level yet

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Cake Man wrote: »
    What do people reckon the starting team will be? Maurice and Bennett in for Devine and Kearney - Moran dropping back to midfield with Maurice half forward?

I read somewhere during the week that Derek McGrath said that he would probably rest Stephan Bennett for the Wexford game due to his Hip problems. He hinted that he would then start for the QF of the league. I hope he starts against Wexford as we will definitely need a few goals to win. I think this will be the team that actually starts:

1. S 'O K
    2. Fives
    3. Coughlan
    4. Connors
    5. Moran
    6. De Burca
    7. Mahoney
    8. M O' Neill
    9. Barron
    10. Maurice
    11. Brick
    12. Mahoney
    13. O' Halloran
    14. Dillon
    15. Dunford

Good luck to Waterford on Sunday. Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

I read somewhere during the week that Derek McGrath said that he would probably rest Stephan Bennett for the Wexford game due to his Hip problems. He hinted that he would then start for the QF of the league. I hope he starts against Wexford as we will definitely need a few goals to win. I think this will be the team that actually starts:

1. S 'O K
    2. Fives
    3. Coughlan
    4. Connors
    5. Moran
    6. De Burca
    7. Mahoney
    8. M O' Neill
    9. Barron
    10. Maurice
    11. Brick
    12. Mahoney
    13. O' Halloran
    14. Dillon
    15. Dunford

Good luck to Waterford on Sunday. Up the Deise

If this is the team that starts on Sunday I would be very happy with it. Alot of experience in that lineup so there can be no worries on that front. My one worry is,and if you go back to the limerick game De Burca was taken for 5-6 points by O Mahoney simply by drifting off him. While he has been superb all year I just think that this could be a problem for us as we never counteracted it that night. The same tactic was used by Tipperary against Brick with Noel McGrath some years ago and the same thing happened.
    I still think we're the better side and should win on Sunday.
    Question - If Shane Bennett was available would he start and for whom? Personally I would have him in instead of Jake Dillon but as has happened over the last 2 years he is the first name on the team sheet. 2 big games in the next 2 weeks its about time he shows why he's being afforded the luxury of being the teachers pet and earns his crust. Great to see Maurice back and hurling well,what a big bonus he can be for us if he hits form.
    So I am expecting us to win and to get back to Div 1a where we came from and give this panel of players the competitive games that go with this division so as to test ourselves against the best teams on a regular basis and see where we're at. I for one have had enough of watching Laois,Antrim and Offaly to do me a lifetime.
    Finally,for the manager to be bulls***Ing about the quarter final being the more important game of the 2,who does he think he's fooling? Stop with that rubbish and get us back to Div1a. He must think we're right clowns! Financially its not his worry,his only job is to make the team successful and that starts Sunday,anything else is a bonus. Yes I do know the financial constraints attached to the job but for him to be coming out trying to divert attention away from Sunday is poor stuff. Anyway when we get back to the top tier the gate receipts will more than look healthier when playing against the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

archieknox wrote: »
    If this is the team that starts on Sunday I would be very happy with it. Alot of experience in that lineup so there can be no worries on that front. My one worry is,and if you go back to the limerick game De Burca was taken for 5-6 points by O Mahoney simply by drifting off him. While he has been superb all year I just think that this could be a problem for us as we never counteracted it that night. The same tactic was used by Tipperary against Brick with Noel McGrath some years ago and the same thing happened.
    I still think we're the better side and should win on Sunday.
    Question - If Shane Bennett was available would he start and for whom? Personally I would have him in instead of Jake Dillon but as has happened over the last 2 years he is the first name on the team sheet. 2 big games in the next 2 weeks its about time he shows why he's being afforded the luxury of being the teachers pet and earns his crust. Great to see Maurice back and hurling well,what a big bonus he can be for us if he hits form.
    So I am expecting us to win and to get back to Div 1a where we came from and give this panel of players the competitive games that go with this division so as to test ourselves against the best teams on a regular basis and see where we're at. I for one have had enough of watching Laois,Antrim and Offaly to do me a lifetime.
    Finally,for the manager to be bulls***Ing about the quarter final being the more important game of the 2,who does he think he's fooling? Stop with that rubbish and get us back to Div1a. He must think we're right clowns! Financially its not his worry,his only job is to make the team successful and that starts Sunday,anything else is a bonus. Yes I do know the financial constraints attached to the job but for him to be coming out trying to divert attention away from Sunday is poor stuff. Anyway when we get back to the top tier the gate receipts will more than look healthier when playing against the top teams.

I think ur being very harsh on dillon the last 2 games you couldn't fault him or criticise his selection, his workrate has been on a par with the rest of the starting team. Also you seem to have a problem with Derek McGrath aswell. I honestly don't see what the problem is in trying to direct pressure away from the team. Roll on Wexico tomorrow what will be will be

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hurling man

Archie as always you are very harsh on jake I thought he was one of the better forwards against Offaly and antrim . Maybe if ur own club man would tog out for the senior hurling team you wouldn't have to be going on about jake all the time. I see he played with the u 21s tonight for maybe the second time so maybe he can make himself available now. I am sure when he does start playing you won't be as quick to criticise. As for Derek mc grath I have to agree with last poster that anything that takes away a bit of pressure from the team is a plus. Maybe you can do things differently when you get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Archie as always you are very harsh on jake I thought he was one of the better forwards against Offaly and antrim . Maybe if ur own club man would tog out for the senior hurling team you wouldn't have to be going on about jake all the time. I see he played with the u 21s tonight for maybe the second time so maybe he can make himself available now. I am sure when he does start playing you won't be as quick to criticise. As for Derek mc grath I have to agree with last poster that anything that takes away a bit of pressure from the team is a plus. Maybe you can do things differently when you get the job.[/quote

Stupid comment on curran the lad has been going non stop since he's been about 15 deserved his break had a pretty bad back problem all through the minor last year still motored on whilst looking really tired. No point having a pop at a kid who is the future of Waterford just to have a pop at a poster on here simply cause he's the same club. U21 and club for this year for him and I'm glad he's taken that step. More developed next year injury free and we'll have a gem on our hands

Archie as always you are very harsh on jake I thought he was one of the better forwards against Offaly and antrim . Maybe if ur own club man would tog out for the senior hurling team you wouldn't have to be going on about jake all the time. I see he played with the u 21s tonight for maybe the second time so maybe he can make himself available now. I am sure when he does start playing you won't be as quick to criticise. As for Derek mc grath I have to agree with last poster that anything that takes away a bit of pressure from the team is a plus. Maybe you can do things differently when you get the job.

2 off our squad from last year have taken this year out so as to broaden their horizons and add to that yesterday Colm Galvin from Clare. This is an AMATEUR sport,one that has increasingly become professional with very little rewards. Yet instead of complimenting the player in your last post for standing firm and thinking about his long term sporting future,aswell as his career,you slate him for not putting his county first. I have no problem seeing faults in my own clubmates,after all Jamie Nagle had one bad half against Cork last year and we haven't seen him since so its hard to analyse him,and Ryan Donnelly is injured so he's excluded also! Dillon has played well in the last 2 games? I would imagine a 3/4 strength Waterford u21 team would make tougher opposition than what we played in those games. How is McGrath deflecting attention away from the players and why? Realistically we're only trying to get back to where he brought us from in the first place!
    Just as a matter of interest and presuming you were at the u21 game last night did you see anyone else potentially making a break through for the senior panel? Seamus Keating from Ardmore,Brendan Phelan from Ballinameela showed up well in patches aswell as Cathal Curran at midfield but I'm expecting to get slaughtered for even mentioning my own clubman on here! Oh and don't forget Paddy,......pure class!!!!!!

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Archie as always you are very harsh on jake I thought he was one of the better forwards against Offaly and antrim . Maybe if ur own club man would tog out for the senior hurling team you wouldn't have to be going on about jake all the time. I see he played with the u 21s tonight for maybe the second time so maybe he can make himself available now. I am sure when he does start playing you won't be as quick to criticise. As for Derek mc grath I have to agree with last poster that anything that takes away a bit of pressure from the team is a plus. Maybe you can do things differently when you get the job.[/quote

Stupid comment on curran the lad has been going non stop since he's been about 15 deserved his break had a pretty bad back problem all through the minor last year still motored on whilst looking really tired. No point having a pop at a kid who is the future of Waterford just to have a pop at a poster on here simply cause he's the same club. U21 and club for this year for him and I'm glad he's taken that step. More developed next year injury free and we'll have a gem on our hands

• Advertisement

Brad1234 wrote: »
    I have no doubt the chap is a gem I didnt mention any name in my post by the way and it seems fine for the poster you are defending to have a pop at jake Dillon on here at every opportunity jake played through a fairly serious knee problem last year and I am fairly sure is going fairly constant since he was on tony forristal. I don't want to criticise any player so if it looked like I was taking a pop at a player my apologies but as I said maybe you should be consistent on the application of your high morals

archieknox wrote: »
    2 off our squad from last year have taken this year out so as to broaden their horizons and add to that yesterday Colm Galvin from Clare. This is an AMATEUR sport,one that has increasingly become professional with very little rewards. Yet instead of complimenting the player in your last post for standing firm and thinking about his long term sporting future,aswell as his career,you slate him for not putting his county first. I have no problem seeing faults in my own clubmates,after all Jamie Nagle had one bad half against Cork last year and we haven't seen him since so its hard to analyse him,and Ryan Donnelly is injured so he's excluded also! Dillon has played well in the last 2 games? I would imagine a 3/4 strength Waterford u21 team would make tougher opposition than what we played in those games. How is McGrath deflecting attention away from the players and why? Realistically we're only trying to get back to where he brought us from in the first place!
    Just as a matter of interest and presuming you were at the u21 game last night did you see anyone else potentially making a break through for the senior panel? Seamus Keating from Ardmore,Brendan Phelan from Ballinameela showed up well in patches aswell as Cathal Curran at midfield but I'm expecting to get slaughtered for even mentioning my own clubman on here! Oh and don't forget Paddy,......pure class!!!!!!

I like the look of Brendan Phelan thought he was excellent for Ballinamelia in the intermediate championship. I think Cathal curran has a lot to offer too but was injured around January when he was supposedly offered a chance to come into senior set up I think paddy is a great prospect and would love to see him get involved I didn't know his back was an issue I thought he was struggling with a head injury during early stages of minor last year. Seamus keating has some fine attributes but really think he needs to improve his hurling to even make u21 team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Harsh comments on Curran alright.

By the same thing token, harsh comments on Dillon too. Hes played on a ridiculous amount if teams since 14. Archie, if the performance of players in the last two games aren't a basis for selection then what is? I actually thought he had a big impact off the bench v Laois too.

Would agree though, I don't understand McGraths comments. Maybe just trying to reduce pressure but concerning if they actually believe promotion is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Heads up to any of ye travelling to Wexford park today, the open side terrace seating is the best place to be today. Nice and sunny here so will be warm there and it's easy to get in and out of with parking nearby. The covered stand is always in the shade so would be much colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to our team & management today

Up the Deise !!!

Wides killing us we should be well clear at this stage. We're the better hurlers. 3 clear now.

Credit Dillon he's going very well today aswell.

Half back line well on top here. We have to be happy with the performance in the first half but Wexford seem to be very lethargic aswell but we can only beat what's in front of us.

Job done here. Very impressive performances all around,de burca and O Mahoney and dillon outstanding. Back where we belong,congrats Derek McGrath and all the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Waterford first to every ball today. Good job to go straight back up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I knew I'd be wrong about the result. Good win today and great to be back up ( I hope they don't change the structure is make it a 8 team div 1 etc).

Think I mite go for Galway next weekend lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭TyrionPower

We have a very good team, we have way more pace in the team, they are very committed and hard working, it's suggest moral is very good in the camp.
    Back to 1A - well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

We have a very good team, we have way more pace in the team, they are very committed and hard working, it's suggest moral is very good in the camp.
    Back to 1A - well done to all involved

Morale could be the big key here, there's a few characters in the dressing room. Not only the players but a few members of the back room team also. With regards to last year, there seemed to be little or no fight in the team at any stage during the year. This year looks different already, very early yet but there's a bit of confidence within the team & it shows. Fair play to them & hopefully they can kick on when the summer comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Good stuff by the Waterford players and management team today. Playing a more positive and coordinated style than last year and it's paying dividends. Looking forward to a league quarter final v Galway next weekend and I would give us every chance. There was lots of criticism for this manager before (including from myself), but he has achieved something very real this year and the team are improving. Also, a good frame of mind for everyone to be in as the summer nears.

Can't wait for next weekend. Well done all involved.

Top of the league section of 1B have ended up Munster champions in each of the past two years...

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done to Waterford today.
    We need to keep our heads now and keep
    up the work rate. The hooking and blocking
    today was immense.. Great to get back to 1A,
    and a Q/ Final to look forward to next week..
    Definetly we're in a better place than we were
    this time last year and on this form we should
    have no fear of Cork, come C/Ship.
    Up The Deise !!

We are guaranteed 3 home games next year as well as both Kilkenny and Clare have only had two this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

On the GAA Website the Waterford Galway venue is listed as TBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Today was a great result to be back up in division 1A where we as a county should be,
    Credit to Derek, Dan & Fintan O'Connor and goalkeeping coach Mark Cooney the lads are hurling with style.
    Credit to Fergal O'Brien for the level of fitness the players seem to have & to the physio team.

All in all a good result today and very happy we got to blood some youth over the course of 1B and today they rewarded the manager, granted Wexford should be disappointed they never really tested us like i thought they would. If I'm being honest I'm a little bit disappointed we didnt see Barry Coghlan put under more pressure and i mean that from a purely positive perspective. Wexford never threatened us much. I reckon we must of won about 80% of the 50/50 balls & rrucksin our own half of the field.
    The full team played their hearts out but for me Noelie Connors & Tadgh De Burca were outstanding in defence while The Brick, Jake and Dunford were our main men in attack.

Galway in Walsh Park in a quarter final of the league, guaranteed 1a hurling next year and we're still unbeaten we'll take that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Well done on the win and promotion. Fully deserved, far the better side on the day. Wexfords hurling skills were very poor, and add to that they hadn't a clue how to handle Waterfords tactics meant an inevitable result. Some good young players on your team, really showed up when it counted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement