Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Fireball07 you know your stuff everything you said is dead on the money.

There are two things that really save guiney from being dropped off the team that being he has a lethal powerful shot and he will in every game create a pass that is out of this world but he is so inconsistant from play and frees and has a terrible habit of taking pot shots from silly angels.

For me the three guaranteed starters in the wexford forwards are MacDonald McGovern and the incredibly underrated Paul morris... Ian Byrne will have to start after getting 0-15 against laois after that it's really how we set up tactically who plays.

I always like playing Waterford as they are the one of two top sides I never really feared a drumming from when things were bleak for us... Last year speaking as a wexford fan ye really left that match behind you. Agree with one poster who said it was as if ye were resigned to defeat already. You got right on top of us got two good goals and then went back to rather negitive hurling.

Sunday is going to be a shoot out we will rack up a pretty big score imho but I fear for us defensively especially if waters is full back ... No disrespect to the guy to even be hurling intercounty after that horrific injury is a credit to the man's character but having watched him hurl club and county since the injury if a forward pulls him out or some team play a two man inside forward line we are in big big big trouble.

Best of luck Sunday lads should be a crackin game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I thought on balance of play Wexford were a good 8 points better than us last year. But for Dunfords 2-2 and generally winning frees and causing havoc we would have been in awful trouble. So good was he that every ball nearly was played to him, leading Tom Dempsey to think Liam Ryan had a great game because he pucked a few back.

But to be fair, Brian O Halloran, Stephen Bennett, Jamie Barron, Maurice would all have featured if they'd been fit. Darragh Fives wasn't right, Jake Dillon was plagued by injuries all year. Well be missing Gleeson on Sunday Id imagine which is significant, but even from an availability point of view the team looks stronger and Id be hoping that will help us win. But could not disagree with anyone saying it could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

The Wexford game last year was directly responsible for Liam lawlor being cut. For me the performance of Barry Coughlan on Sunday is of most interest. If he can cope with Mcdonald then we may have solved a problem. I hope he does but I'm worried he'll see red.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

There will be some interesting match ups around the field. These ones should have a big impact on who wins overall battle. Connors v Liam Og, Maurice v Shore and Chin v Mahoney although I have a feeling Mahoney will start on the wing with Brick no. 11.

Connors is playing some of his best hurling albeit against average sides. He'll have to be on top of his game to keep Liam Og relatively quiet no easy task there.
    If Shore stays in Shanahans face and doesn't give an inch hr could keep him quiet but hard to do that over 70 min. If Maurice is given an inch he could take a mile.
    I'd prefer Mahoney to be on the other wing as I think Chin may be too good for him. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I think he will cause us problems from center back or midfield if he's moved out.
    Coughlan on Macdonald will come down to us putting extra man in defense to cut off space in front of MacDonald. I know we all want to see 15 on 15 but coughlan will be in too much trouble if he doesn't have that cover, like Lawlor last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think home advantage will swing it for Wexford sunday. Its a very tight pitch down in Wexford park and there will be a very large wexford support there

It would be good to get to a league semi final but the qf will be tough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Think home advantage will swing it for Wexford sunday. Its a very tight pitch down in Wexford park and there will be a very large wexford support there

It would be good to get to a league semi final but the qf will be tough

Wexford Park is a bit wider than Walsh Park, so tightness of a pitch should have no bearing on it. There should be a good home support alright, but I'd imagine Waterford will bring a good crowd too being so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭skaface

Should be a good game with a C/ship edge
    to it. Also we,ll have an extra game as well
    with a Q/Final yet to play.. Before the Real business in June!!
    All in all, we're in a better place than this time
    last year, as long as people don't start getting
    carried away!!
    Up The Deise ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Really looking forward to Sunday's game, the first of 2 games in a week that will give us a much better idea of where we're at rather than the 3 games over the past few weeks. At times we have looked impressive, but there are aspects which we must not allow to be repeated on Sunday. We cant allow Wexford the start we afforded Offaly in Tullamore while at times I think we have over-played the ball. We wont get away with that against top teams.

Its going to be interesting to see how the full back line shapes up. I'd expect De Burca to drop deep to offer cover for Coughlan against McDonald. If Coughlan survives this game it will do him the world of good. Big doubts though. Connors is flying in the corner, will be interesting how he fares against McGovern, will he follow him when McGovern goes roaming?

Wexford provide real danger in attack, Waterford's defence has been impressive this season so its going to be interesting to see how these battles play out.

But the Wexford defence looked very shakey and at times they seemed to panic against Limerick a few weeks ago, conceding 4 goals in the process. If we can get Dunford, Stephen Bennett and Maurice in close to goal, there should be some joy to be had i feel.

Hopefully we can get a result and create momentum for the quarter final the week after and onwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭stumblingblock

The Wexford game last year was directly responsible for Liam lawlor being cut. For me the performance of Barry Coughlan on Sunday is of most interest. If he can cope with Mcdonald then we may have solved a problem. I hope he does but I'm worried he'll see red.

Full back has been our Achilles heel ever since ‘Sean ‘The Rock’ Cullinane retired in 2001. Weve never had a top class full back come in to really man the position. Some might argue it was a big factor in us not winning an All Ireland. We leaked too many goals on too many big days which ultimately cost us. I think of the All Ireland semi’s against KK in 04 and Limerick in 07 off hand. Lawlor filled a gap there for a few years, did an ok job but remember he had awful trouble with his knees. We were trying to make a Paul McGrath out of him. He was doing very limited training and being rested during league and challenge games just so hed be right for championship games. It was a ticking time bomb and as soon as McDonald cleaned him for the first ball up in Nowlan Park I think we all knew the game was up.

As for Coughlan interesting to see that everyone is anxious to see how he does against top class full forward on Sunday. But I don’t think one single league game should define anyones intercounty career either. I think its good that management have ear-marked a young lad as having potential for the position, and given him a proper go there as opposed to just moving different lads in and out of there every week. Whether he is the long term solution there I don't beleive he his but lets be honest were not blessed with too many full backs but he is at least woth having around as a pla B if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Full back has been our Achilles heel ever since ‘Sean ‘The Rock’ Cullinane retired in 2001. Weve never had a top class full back come in to really man the position. Some might argue it was a big factor in us not winning an All Ireland. We leaked too many goals on too many big days which ultimately cost us. I think of the All Ireland semi’s against KK in 04 and Limerick in 07 off hand. Lawlor filled a gap there for a few years, did an ok job but remember he had awful trouble with his knees. We were trying to make a Paul McGrath out of him. He was doing very limited training and being rested during league and challenge games just so hed be right for championship games. It was a ticking time bomb and as soon as McDonald cleaned him for the first ball up in Nowlan Park I think we all knew the game was up.

As for Coughlan interesting to see that everyone is anxious to see how he does against top class full forward on Sunday. But I don’t think one single league game should define anyones intercounty career either. I think its good that management have ear-marked a young lad as having potential for the position, and given him a proper go there as opposed to just moving different lads in and out of there every week. Whether he is the long term solution there I don't beleive he his but lets be honest were not blessed with too many full backs but he is at least woth having around as a pla B if nothing else

Does anyone know Coughlans age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Just FYI you guys who are traveling up just to add also tickets.ie are sold out apparently

HillFarmer wrote: »

26. Ironically, the oldest player in the backs along with Shane Fives if Moran starts in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

HillFarmer wrote: »

Coughlan would be 25 this year. Born in 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Barry was full back on the dls Harty teams with sok in goal, noel corner back and Philip and Steven Daniels in the half back line. Collectively they have a great understanding together. My concern with Barry isn't his ability rather it's his rashness. In a few of the challenge games this winter he was lucky not to get sent off for off the ball niggles and helmet tipping/grabbing. You cannot get away with this in league or championship now.

Mcdonald is a really fine player and will be a huge test for Barry. While I agree one game shouldn't define any one player this is going to be a huge step up on what our backs have faced to date in the league. Really looking forward to the game, can't see it being more than 2/3 pts either way.

26. Ironically, the oldest player in the backs along with Shane Fives if Moran starts in midfield.

Hes 24

Hes 24

Why did he not play under 21 in 2011? Injured? Apologies if I was incorrect

Why did he not play under 21 in 2011? Injured? Apologies if I was incorrect

I think he was on the panel. just wasnt a starter

I think he was on the panel. just wasnt a starter

But he started full back the year before?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

We have used 27 players in the league so far. Eddie Barrett is now available and will be on the bench I'd say considering Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett will probably have to sit this one out. Outside of that Daniels and Daragh Fives are only a couple of weeks off so its coming together (not sure how Donnelly is).

Wexford on the other hand seem getting up to full strength now. They should have beaten Limerick 2 weeks ago but retreated and paid the price. Seamus Hickey having a shot at goal near the end highlights that. This time they'll have MacDonald and Shore back and a bigger crowd behind them, that could be enough to swing it in their favour.

I expect Waterford to line out similar to last week. SOK will come in for Iggy, Maurice probably for a rested Stephen Bennett and Martin O Neill to hold his place if Austin Gleeson is definitely ruled out.

The midfield seems to be the modern day battleground where possession is key. Jamie Barron has done very well there as a link player and Martin O Neill has found some form through the Fitzgibbon and is improving enough to get the call. The Mt Sion mans' positional play and striking may suit the system where its sure Dunford and O Halloran will be dropping deep at stages anyway to help out. Paudie Prender could also be considered here or at maybe wing giving Moran the opportunity to push up. Whatever the line up we'll need an improvement around the middle from last year as well minding Macdonald, MacGovern et al.

TJ Reid said he'd be embarrassed to go down to 1b, for Waterford it may not have been too bad considering a couple of young lads got a run and probably more importantly a few got a chance to come back from long term absence.
    The real stuff starts now. There is not much in it but either way the so called fallow period (was it just December) is over.

Promotion won't be any easier next year so you might as well do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek McGrath said in the paper today that promotion is not on there minds and he said something about financial implications of reaching the later stages of the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

3ships wrote: »
    We have used 27 players in the league so far. Eddie Barrett is now available and will be on the bench I'd say considering Austin Gleeson and Stephen Bennett will probably have to sit this one out. Outside of that Daniels and Daragh Fives are only a couple of weeks off so its coming together (not sure how Donnelly is).

Wexford on the other hand seem getting up to full strength now. They should have beaten Limerick 2 weeks ago but retreated and paid the price. Seamus Hickey having a shot at goal near the end highlights that. This time they'll have MacDonald and Shore back and a bigger crowd behind them, that could be enough to swing it in their favour.

I expect Waterford to line out similar to last week. SOK will come in for Iggy, Maurice probably for a rested Stephen Bennett and Martin O Neill to hold his place if Austin Gleeson is definitely ruled out.

The midfield seems to be the modern day battleground where possession is key. Jamie Barron has done very well there as a link player and Martin O Neill has found some form through the Fitzgibbon and is improving enough to get the call. The Mt Sion mans' positional play and striking may suit the system where its sure Dunford and O Halloran will be dropping deep at stages anyway to help out. Paudie Prender could also be considered here or at maybe wing giving Moran the opportunity to push up. Whatever the line up we'll need an improvement around the middle from last year as well minding Macdonald, MacGovern et al.

TJ Reid said he'd be embarrassed to go down to 1b, for Waterford it may not have been too bad considering a couple of young lads got a run and probably more importantly a few got a chance to come back from long term absence.
    The real stuff starts now. There is not much in it but either way the so called fallow period (was it just December) is over.

Promotion won't be any easier next year so you might as well do it now.
    thats why kk have 35 all Ireland's with an attitude like that ,go on TJ say it as it is

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Derek McGrath said in the paper today that promotion is not on there minds and he said something about financial implications of reaching the later stages of the league

Just read that, I assume that is seeing reaching the semi finals as a positive in terms of financial implications though it was vague in the report. I would imagine he means boosted attendance figures.

But he started full back the year before?

Werent they hammered out the gate by cork the year before? Yea your obviously more up to date on that than me. He is a bit of a late bloomer in general. I know he was on the same minor and harty cup group as noelie and daniels up along as someone else alluded to. but he didnt make much of an impact at u21 level at all. He also didnt make the ucc fitzgibbon team when he was down there. But he went and did a postgrad in UCD and played very well at fullback for them. The regular fullback willie phelan of kk got injured i think coughlan came in and kept his place for the fitz even after phelan came back. I know derek would have been very familiar with him anyway but i think ultimately it was his performances for ucd last year earned him the call up to senior panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Just read that, I assume that is seeing reaching the semi finals as a positive in terms of financial implications though it was vague in the report. I would imagine he means boosted attendance figures.

Could possibly be being leaned on by the county board for a training break before the championship....like last year???
    Meaning the co board hadn't budgeted on reaching league final/semi final

But all this is getting ahead of ourselves....we should concentrate on beating Wex Sunday....as another year or two in div 1b could lead to stagnation....as good as it was to get a run of young lads....long term 1a is where wat should aim to be imo

Werent they hammered out the gate by cork the year before? Yea your obviously more up to date on that than me. He is a bit of a late bloomer in general. I know he was on the same minor and harty cup group as noelie and daniels up along as someone else alluded to. but he didnt make much of an impact at u21 level at all. He also didnt make the ucc fitzgibbon team when he was down there. But he went and did a postgrad in UCD and played very well at fullback for them. The regular fullback willie phelan of kk got injured i think coughlan came in and kept his place for the fitz even after phelan came back. I know derek would have been very familiar with him anyway but i think ultimately it was his performances for ucd last year earned him the call up to senior panel

They were, I was at both games. To be fair, everyone of that backline that played in 2011 are Waterford starters now (Daniels would be if fit). I'm sure I had a program but probably wouldn't be able to find it, can't recall whether I remember his name being down or not.

The jury is out on him anyway, certainly think he is entitled to play on Sunday and have his chance in a proper game. He was badly exposed last year at corner back but to be fair, I think Lawlor did a great job since 2010 but still would think you'd be mad to play him at corner back against a really pacy player. You may not need to be lightning quick to be a solid full back, though I'm sure it's no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

Manager Derek McGrath has named an unchanged side to play Wexford in the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday.
    1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Shane Fives Tourin
    3. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
    4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Tadhg de Búrca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    6. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    7. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    8. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    10. Kevin Moran (Captain) De La Salle
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    13. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    14. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper

Manager Derek McGrath has named an unchanged side to play Wexford in the Allianz Hurling League on Sunday.
    1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Shane Fives Tourin
    3. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
    4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Tadhg de Búrca Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    6. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    7. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
    8. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    10. Kevin Moran (Captain) De La Salle
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    13. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    14. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper

This nonsense annoys me. Not a hope that team will start

This nonsense annoys me. Not a hope that team will start

What was the rule change made this year in relation to the naming of teams? Because I think they've sent out the same teamsheet every game with the exception being Austin Gleeson's injury meaning they named Shane Sully the last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lads, we have General Admission tickets for Wexford Park on Sunday. I've never been to a match there - anyone know what that means? Is it the terraces, or is it a bit like Walsh Park in that you just go in and sit where you like until it all fills up? We're looking to get s third ticket and want to be sure we can sit together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

fricatus wrote: »
    Lads, we have General Admission tickets for Wexford Park on Sunday. I've never been to a match there - anyone know what that means? Is it the terraces, or is it a bit like Walsh Park in that you just go in and sit where you like until it all fills up? We're looking to get s third ticket and want to be sure we can sit together.

Unreserved seating, just go in and help yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement