Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Just a thought, but if Shamie Prendergast, Shane Walsh, Richie Foley and the Brick turned out for the footballers in the League, they might be worth watching.

Added to that, if Ryan Donnelly and Jamie Barron threw in their lot as well then we might really be going places. They have to know, after their treatment last year, they're not going to get a look in with the hurlers when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Just a thought, but if Shamie Prendergast, Shane Walsh, Richie Foley and the Brick turned out for the footballers in the League, they might be worth watching.

Added to that, if Ryan Donnelly and Jamie Barron threw in their lot as well then we might really be going places. They have to know, after their treatment last year, they're not going to get a look in with the hurlers when it matters.

If that happens there would be some serious numbers of "hurlers" playing in the Clare Waterford game in the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    If that happens there would be some serious numbers of "hurlers" playing in the Clare Waterford game in the championship.

None of them will play for the footballers though. Brick has been on the hurling panel since 2003. He knows what being part of the football panel is like and won't go near it (if he is even leaving the hurling panel).

Seamus has been hurling for 15 seasons now, not a hope. I doubt Richie Foley would. Jamie Barron won't. And Shane Walsh gave one of the main reasons (and whatever else might be said, and could be true about it, this I'll believe) was the amount of injuries that have been plaguing him. Would be very surprised to see him go back playing football.

The only one that might play football is Donnelly, but I only say that because I really don't know much about his own situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭seananigans

cul beag wrote: »
    Socky
    Barry Coughlan/ Stephen Daniels
    Shane Fives
    Noel Connors
    Darragh Fives
    Austin Gleeson
    Phillip O Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Shane O Sullivan
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie O Mahoney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Brian O Sullivan
    Colin Dunford
    Stephen. Bennett/Ryan Donnelly

Where is the strength in dept/experience?

I think we're down to 1 all star,when did that last happen

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Soc
    Daniels. Darragh F. Noel
    Shane F. Brick. Tdeb
    Philip M. Aussie
    Maurice. Kevin M. Paidi M

Steven B. Brian o S. Colin D

Shane S, Paudie prendergast, iggy, kearney, jake, Barry C, Madigan, Donnelly, Eddie Barrett

There is still the makings of a good team. If we get everyone fit we are not far off the pace with all bar the cats and tipp from a basic talent point of view. The issue is how we approach and deploy what we have got. Strength and conditioning needs to be much improved, we need some luck injury wise and we need this group of players to avoid the doom and gloom because they have all performed and won significant trophies for colleges and county. I'm not sure the current management is capable of getting the best out of that group however I think that the panel is still not too bad if all available. Talk of losses to Antrim, Offaly and Laois is way over the top in my opinion. I would also be confident of rattling Wexford in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Don't think you can do much about retirements. Seamus And Shane Walsh gave great service but are done now. Molumphy is a massive loss and should have been allowed to make a decision in April with no pressure on the upcoming league.

Hopefully there is a re think on the panel. Lawlor if the number 3 jersey has not been claimed in the league, similar to this year. Nagle may not be first choice but one or two injuries (my guess is there will be!) and he'll be needed. Foley, does anyone remember his star turn at Centre Forward in the league a couple of years ago, it would be a waste if thats not looked at again. He has not had a full campaign since. Similarly, Brian O Halloran, another one for the half forward line surely. Also if we are dropping Ray Barry at 21 then how are we ever going to develope players in this county.

I don't believe too much in transition, teams can blossom overnight in the summer and likewise fall apart over 70 minutes. The simple mantra is to pick the best panel but it does look like it now. I think McGrath has a team in mind for 18 months time and he's pitching for that. His budget may have a lot to do with it which is very sad considering the team was live on Sky Sports HD in the summer. How can we not have succificent funds to prepare teams when so may people are making so much money in the media analysing games, its wrong.......

There are still 25 quality players to pick from and the rest of the panel will will taken from the U21 team which should be the best u21 panel we've ever had. Don't know if building for the future will suit Brick but it may arrive sooner with him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭enoughtaken

Mountainlad , having just read the full article in the times it appears we are now saying that this year wasn't part of the rebuilding ??? , that starts next year. I find the article disrespectful to the hurling coach, selector and the nine players that we know off who have left or who have been asked to leave the panel. Management appointed 23/10/2013

Mountainlad , having just read the full article in the times it appears we are now saying that this year wasn't part of the rebuilding ??? , that starts next year. I find the article disrespectful to the hurling coach, selector and the nine players that we know off who have left or who have been asked to leave the panel. Management appointed 23/10/2013

What he's on about last year's team was inherited I don't know to be honest.

I'd be inclined to agree with the perspective 3ships has on transition to some degree. As long as we continue to say we are in transition, we will be. It's a bit of a cop out and it's going on too long.

I do think we need to be realistic but a repeat of last year wouldn't be good enough in my opinion for McGrath to keep his job. And we haven't gotten off to a good start, even if just from a moral point of view the stories about Waterford in the media continue to be negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

What he's on about last year's team was inherited I don't know to be honest.

I'd be inclined to agree with the perspective 3ships has on transition to some degree. As long as we continue to say we are in transition, we will be. It's a bit of a cop out and it's going on too long.

As far as I'm concerned the transitional period ended when Ryan was gotten rid of. We were on the up in his final year and have now regressed. A transitional period generally lasts one or two seasons, we are pushing three or four at this stage.

Also, inherited a team hahaha. I don't know much about McGrath but that is a ludicrous comment to be making in relation to intercounty hurling; this is not a sport where you can pick from a global pool of players, 99% of the lads will have come up through underage onto that senior panel. Literally every team in the country has to be 'inherited' and you can't make wholesale changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone read the Dungarvan leader this week? Had a nice little giggle with one guy's letter to the editor. Fair enough I'm not happy with Derek Mcgrath and his tactics....but this guy basically said the Derek should be sacked, and called for three quarters of the Dungarvan team to be promoted to the Waterford team. They're grand club hurlers but I think only Jamie Nagle, Gavin Crotty, Patrick Curran and Darragh Lyons could be playing for Waterford out of that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Big thanks to Jim Dee who has got his marching orders from the senior set up. A thorough gentleman whom was totally professional in his role i find it disgraceful with the way he's been treated. Scandalous absolutely scandalous but it just follows the same form of the past week.
    For the manager to come out with such bulls**t about the consideration of players and they're families and the horses**t about inheriting the squad,how ironic it is that he sacks the one man that needed the job at this time in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Jim is unfortunate to be from West Waterford !
    This should have been an exciting time for Waterford hurling
    Waterford hurling need a manager with a track record , developing young players & blending experience with youth

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Big thanks to Jim Dee who has got his marching orders from the senior set up. A thorough gentleman whom was totally professional in his role i find it disgraceful with the way he's been treated. Scandalous absolutely scandalous but it just follows the same form of the past week.
    For the manager to come out with such bulls**t about the consideration of players and they're families and the horses**t about inheriting the squad,how ironic it is that he sacks the one man that needed the job at this time in his life.

Was poor Jim over the 30 mark as well btw?

Sure you can't be hanging on to fellas from west Waterford hitting that age.

There's no way they can be trusted.

God only knows what contagious conditions they may have that may infect the Aryan race from the Dunmore road.

The only fellas from west of Dungarvan that can be trusted are those who love the publicity and can nod like a donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

He

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Hello there i have been following the Waterford page on a regular basis but never joined until i read the post about Jim Dee. I felt i had to make a comment as i am in total agreement with the way he has been treated. I have lost all respect for the Waterford management team over this. I have no axe to grind with anybody involved in it but what they have done to him is disgraceful. Shame on them. A gentleman is Mr.Dee and deserved better. I am outraged and cannot get it across enough here how mad i am. They should hang their heads in shame. And finally i hope they watched a great battle in the u21 between Abbeyside and St.Carthages last night. Because if they didn't they missed a great game. I cannot believe they dropped young Ray Barry either. He was masterful at no.6 and was the difference between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Sorry lads I know Jim Dee was involved with a long time with the County team Fair play to him for being such a long servant, can someone please tell me what it was he actually did or what were his duties with the team?? Any time I was in Carriganore which was quite a bit last year he was up drinking tea where the players have their meal so I'm presuming his job wasnt on the field and I always wondered what exactly it was that he done

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Sorry lads I know Jim Dee was involved with a long time with the County team Fair play to him for being such a long servant, can someone please tell me what it was he actually did or what were his duties with the team?? Any time I was in Carriganore which was quite a bit last year he was up drinking tea where the players have their meal so I'm presuming his job wasnt on the field and I always wondered what exactly it was that he done

He was the team secretary and the link between the players and management. He would work with the players if they had any personal issues and help to get them solved. He has been there for at least the last 10 years and was very well liked by the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Slobbery wrote: »
    Some serious agendas here against Derek McGrath and the posters involved have nothing good to say about any hurling man in waterford unless they have the same second name as themselves.

First the Waterford set-up was a joke now Lismore need to get their act together, f*cks sake lads it's pathetic why don't ye just send each other a text message?

The bitterness is incredible nothing good to say about anything or anybody.

He need a break from it all, why don't ye give boards and hurling a rest for a while and head away somewhere nice for the summer and forget about hurling - all that negativity can't be good[/

Would you recommend Tallow for a seasonal break slobs?!!That's where the real bitterness is I'd say what do you think?!!!!

Sorry but ive read this post a few times and struggle to find CulBeag's point or maybe he's attempt at humour is wasted on me. This is not the first time CulBeag has used this site to have a pop at Tallow for some reason. Just because someones says that Lismore are having problems does not mean that the poster is from Tallow.
    If Lismore are having problems within their club then they are not the only club. Every club goes through the same problems more or less only difference is the level of problems. I would not be Lismore's biggest fan but can say with no hesitation of contraction that Lismore players are all dedicated and committed to their club and would be very surprised if rumours of defection were true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Lads can we drop the whole vendetta against the West crap.

I am totally against what the management is currently at and I am from the city. There are many western players on the team/panel and this invention that somebody would even consider to limit themselves, in a small county like ours, to only the east of the county is absolutely beyond ridiculous.

So yes, give out all you like about the way things are being done but don't bring up the east vs. west sh!te cause it's missing the point of what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wasn't it that Dee wrote what subs came on and what mileage they did to come to training.

What I heard McGrath wants an u25 team with the exception of two or three. Would Kilkenny have won without JJ this year?

thesultan wrote: »
    Wasn't it that Dee wrote what subs came on and what mileage they did to come to training.

What I heard McGrath wants an u25 team with the exception of two or three. Would Kilkenny have won without JJ this year?

Or Tyrell, Or Power, Or Larkin, Or Kieran Joyce, Or Michael Fennelly, or Richie Hogan, or TJ Reid.

I appreciate what the aim of this is but it is very short sighted. Kilkenny had no u21s on their team. Look, we don't have the quality of mid 20s they have in fairness but you need more physically developed players to help guide the young lads and keep us competitive.

The young lads to have the potential to be class, in 6 years time maybe if all things went right but the reality is that it's going to be tough for them next year again and the longer it goes on the more disillusioned we all get, players included and then they begin to ask the question is it worth the sacrifice we're making?

Vicious circle no doubt, next year is very important. Hopefully the players can rally and put hope and faith back in the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Strong rumours that Michael Walsh has been wooed by new manager Martin Horgan, and will throw his lot in with the footballers next year. Will be interesting if many more follow him.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Strong rumours that Michael Walsh has been wooed by new manager Martin Horgan, and will throw his lot in with the footballers next year. Will be interesting if many more follow him.

Indeed. Except Martin Horgan is not going to be the new Waterford football manager, so I guess that throws that rumour out now doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

thesultan wrote: »

u25 team me arse. Best panel no matter what the age. Throwing in a load of young fellas not the answer. Could ruin a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Indeed. Except Martin Horgan is not going to be the new Waterford football manager, so I guess that throws that rumour out now doesn't it?

Nah m8, i heard Horgan wooed the new manager coming in and the new manager gave him his job and all

Rumour has it Horgan has Fitzmaurice's ear as well and will woo us to all Ireland glory

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Brian Sullivan rumoured to be heading state side next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

The players wanted this clown of a manager, they've made their bed and they have to lie in it now. If Ryan wasnt shafted by the same players and if they didnt have a reputation for player power then a strike over this crap wouldnt be surprising. They've made a rod for their own backs, half of them are now deemed over the hill in their mid twenties and promising players like Ray Barry, who was excellent vs Kilkenny and the kind of lad who you'd see real potential in, are on the scrapheap.

The team Derek inherited were on the upswing, they were no world beaters but they were competitive. Under his stewardship the same players took beating after beating the next year and looked tactically inept and shorn of confidence. The common denominator there was the man in charge. Jimmy Barry culled alot of older players in 99 and that worked out for Cork but Jimmy Barry isn't a deluded eejit who thinks he's a genius. The faster McGrath is ****ed out on his ear the way he's ****ing everyone else out the better for the sake of the countys future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

so....em any opinions on how ballygunner will fare out today....this will surly be there biggest test this year after more or less strolling to county title

• Advertisement

so....em any opinions on how ballygunner will fare out today....this will surly be there biggest test this year after more or less strolling to county title

Home advantage, unbeaten and Cratloe having dual concerns are in their favour.

Cratloe have had two weeks since the football however and a really potent forward line. I think Cratloe are a better team and think they might just shade it, though Walsh Park being a bit tight probably won't suit them. Be very interested to see how Mahony goes, assume he'll be moved off Conor Ryan out to wing forward. Would be suicide playing him center forward because he couldn't handle that physicality and he is probably the Gunners best player.

Brian O Sullivan will need to show the form he did the last day as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement