Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Lads, settle down a bit.

It's all in hands from what I hear.

Everything is sorted.

Jim Greene is coming on board as the last selector.

We now indeed have Waterford's hurling very own production of "Back to the Future"

It's 1985 all over again with Derek McFly and Biff Greene.

Mayo and Roscommon here we come!!
    Looks like 1985 all over again! If true this will infuriate supporters further. People have had enough already. If the Co. Board allows this the clubs should rebel and vote out all the officers. Time for a coup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Keep politics separate, and then go on a political rant?

Just had a look at the indo, it's Molumphy has retired. Thanks Stevie, top hurler. An all star, and terrific man to win dirty ball. Will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭dzilla

Mcgrath Out

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Its all well and good saying McGrath out but who have we to replace him.

The facts are our county board is broke, there is no money there! Clubs are taxed as it is to assist the county board in reducing its debt, I have heard that McGrath's budget has been cut for next year already.
    We have talent coming through it's true but the state the county board are in makes us a less attractive option for coaches.

Something more scientific needs to be done also from an S&C perspective perhaps rekindling the link with WIT's Sports Department could be a step forward as I know other counties in the South East utilise there services.

But back to my original point if you dont have somebody realistic in mind to replace McGrath then no point getting rid of him, just for clarity I am not a fan of how we are playing at present and disagree with some of his decisions also so I am not pro Derick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭dzilla

cookey123 wrote: »
    Its all well and good saying McGrath out but who have we to replace him.

The facts are our county board is broke, there is no money there! Clubs are taxed as it is to assist the county board in reducing its debt, I have heard that McGrath's budget has been cut for next year already.
    We have talent coming through it's true but the state the county board are in makes us a less attractive option for coaches.

Something more scientific needs to be done also from an S&C perspective perhaps rekindling the link with WIT's Sports Department could be a step forward as I know other counties in the South East utilise there services.

But back to my original point if you dont have somebody realistic in mind to replace McGrath then no point getting rid of him, just for clarity I am not a fan of how we are playing at present and disagree with some of his decisions also so I am not pro Derick.

Mcgrath out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yep. Molumphy gone. Pity. Always been a massive fan. Great determination and would run through anyone. His performance against Kilkenny in 09 was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Sad to hear of Stephen Molumphy's retirement. A very, very good player and still good enough for intercounty hurling and a man I would still have on my starting 15. He showed true dedication to juggle an army career which involved a number of overseas trips, and an 8 year intercounty career. Still only 30 years of age and I just hope he wasn't forced into this decision by being dropped off panel. Ballyduff's benefit in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Definitely our best player at winning dirty ball. Lost count how many times he'd come barrelling out of a big mess of players with it in his hand :pac:
    Who would we even have to come close to that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Shame to see Molumphy go but ultimately it must have been very hard for him to balance his army commitments to tours of duty and playing intercounty.

He was exceptional in 07 and popped up with some great scores.

I always marvelled at Molumphy coming out of a shemozzle of players with the ball. It could be a 70-30 ball in favour of the opposition player and more often than not Stevie would win the ball. A leader on and off the pitch.

Best of luck in your retirement Stevie

Also worth remembering hes recently married with a young kid, and was also doing a masters this year.

• Advertisement

Enda Kenny...
    Take you political nonsense elsewhere. Much better stand in the next general election. This is a SPORTS thread. Is Enda Kenny in line to be manager of Waterford? We are DISCUSSING the implosion in Waterford hurling. Its of far more interest to all Waterford supporters that I have spoken to this morning. Its the main topic of conversation!!

culbaire wrote: »
    Take you political nonsense elsewhere. Much better stand in the next general election. This is a SPORTS thread. Is Enda Kenny in line to be manager of Waterford? We are DISCUSSING the implosion in Waterford hurling. Its of far more interest to all Waterford supporters that I have spoken to this morning. Its the main topic of conversation!!

You've either gone mad or forgot to sign into your other account!

You've either gone mad or forgot to sign into your other account!
    Cheap tacky personal comment which is indicative of the type of person you really are!

Cheap tacky personal comment which is indicative of the type of person you really are!

Alright boy. Genuinely though, go home with the politics please.

Alright boy. Genuinely though, go home with the politics please.
    I DID NOT introduce politics to the thread. That was introduced by another poster. I am more interested in the mess in Waterford hurling at present. I have never seen so many disappointed Waterford supporters this morning. People are wondering what is next. I come here to read about Waterford GAA.

I DID NOT introduce politics to the thread. That was introduced by another poster. I am more interested in the mess in Waterford hurling at present. I have never seen so many disappointed Waterford supporters this morning. People are wondering what is next. I come here to read about Waterford GAA.

Ok yeah, whatever. I see that it's more about the response after but look I'm not getting drawn into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Madness Molumphy is gone, I have lost faith in this set up now.

Look it's obvious the players leaving got the bullet.

In my opinion We are in for five tough seasons before we are competitive again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Also worth remembering hes recently married with a young kid, and was also doing a masters this year.
    I doubt that's the reason he has retired though. Very depressing to lose a player of his calibre. He should've been one of first people in the starting 15 this year but he barely got a game. I'd always give a manager the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove themselves before joining in with the negativity but this setup under McGrath is a shambles now. If Brick ends up retiring too... I don't even want to think about it. Dark days ahead.

I doubt that's the reason he has retired though. Very depressing to lose a player of his calibre. He should've been one of first people in the starting 15 this year but he barely got a game. I'd always give a manager the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove themselves before joining in with the negativity but this setup under McGrath is a shambles now. If Brick ends up retiring too... I don't even want to think about it. Dark days ahead.

I'd say it played a role to be fair. Though I don't disagree, much like Mullane in 2012 I think if he'd seen a brighter picture he'd probably stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The attendances for our NHL games in 2015 will be the lowest ever. Can see Laois beating us at home. we could be possibly in the relagation playoff for Division 2 next year instead of a quarter final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The attendances for our NHL games in 2015 will be the lowest ever. Can see Laois beating us at home. we could be possibly in the relagation playoff for Division 2 next year instead of a quarter final.

Lets not be over dramatic now. If we can't beat Antrim and Offaly regadless of the lads we have lost we have more problems than our manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Lets not be over dramatic now. If we can't beat Antrim and Offaly regadless of the lads we have lost we have more problems than our manager.

Not if its a de la Salle AllStar XV we're sending out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Sad to see Stephen Molumphy go when he definitely should be a starter on the team. Was too good a player to have sitting on the bench for most of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sad to see Stephen Molumphy go when he definitely should be a starter on the team. Was too good a player to have sitting on the bench for most of last year.

His ability to commit to training etc. must be limited between his domestic and professional arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

All one has to do is note Stephen's reference to last year being a disaster to know exactly what he thinks of set up under McGrath.

Stephen is a very level headed and diplomatic lad so it speaks volumes when he uses emotive phrases like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Brick next.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Socky
    Barry Coughlan/ Stephen Daniels
    Shane Fives
    Noel Connors
    Darragh Fives
    Austin Gleeson
    Phillip O Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Shane O Sullivan
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie O Mahoney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Brian O Sullivan
    Colin Dunford
    Stephen. Bennett/Ryan Donnelly

Where is the strength in dept/experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

cul beag wrote: »
    Socky
    Shane Fives
    Noel Connors
    Darragh Fives
    Austin Gleeson
    Phillip O Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Shane O Sullivan
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie O Mahoney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Brian O Sullivan
    Colin Dunford

Dont think Dillon deserves a starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Socky
    Shane Fives
    Noel Connors
    Darragh Fives
    Austin Gleeson
    Phillip O Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Shane O Sullivan
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie O Mahoney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Brian O Sullivan
    Colin Dunford

Now if it was experience of strength in debt you were looking for.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Socky
    Shane Fives
    Noel Connors
    Darragh Fives
    Austin Gleeson
    Phillip O Mahoney
    Kevin Moran
    Shane O Sullivan
    Jake Dillon
    Paudie O Mahoney
    Maurice Shanahan
    Brian O Sullivan
    Colin Dunford

Still not a bad team. 1 to 9 looks good. Stephen Daniels would have to start in front of Coughlan for me. Too many light players in that forward line. All good hurlers on their day but too many of the same type. Until we find a few big strong forwards able to win their own ball, we are going to continue to struggle. Hopefully Brick continues for another year and is tried centre forward. He wasn't great there when tried under Michael Ryan but he was excellent when he played there during his WIT days.
    No matter what team is picked next year, the most important thing is that they go out and play attacking hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement