Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Stephen Bennett out tonight. I'd say ye'll be right on Dungarvan lads.

He is after coming on in goal he must be badly injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great u21 game tonight and some performance from Patrick Curran. Dungarvan will take some stopping on this showing and with Ryan Donnelly and Darragh Lyons to come back for the final it's there's to lose. Didn't see the sending off but we're let to believe that Seanie Barry pulled the face guard of the helmet of the Dungarvan forward. Strange to see Stephen Bennett come on in goal and then with 10 mins left he goes up front and scores an unbelievable goal. It may have been alot closer if he had been fit to start in the forward line. Ray Barry was class for St. Carthages and went through an amount of work. Patrick Curran though gave some exhibition and was only curtailed slightly when Shane Bennett went back full back to pick him up. Sweet win for Joxer over his old club and he must fancy his side now to go on and win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

cul beag wrote: »
    Great u21 game tonight and some performance from Patrick Curran. Dungarvan will take some stopping on this showing and with Ryan Donnelly and Darragh Lyons to come back for the final it's there's to lose. Didn't see the sending off but we're let to believe that Seanie Barry pulled the face guard of the helmet of the Dungarvan forward. Strange to see Stephen Bennett come on in goal and then with 10 mins left he goes up front and scores an unbelievable goal. It may have been alot closer if he had been fit to start in the forward line. Ray Barry was class for St. Carthages and went through an amount of work. Patrick Curran though gave some exhibition and was only curtailed slightly when Shane Bennett went back full back to pick him up. Sweet win for Joxer over his old club and he must fancy his side now to go on and win it out.

I would have to agree with everything you have said here. It was a great game but I just think Dungarvan were that bit stronger,but had Paddy Curran not have his shooting boots on we were in big trouble. Roll on the county final now and lets hope we finish the job. I didn't see the sending off in the first half either as I was following the play but I wonder would it have had any different baring on the game as I honestly think Stephen Bennett wouldn't have come on at all only for the sending off.David Prendergast had to go for striking and I think it was frustration having had a torrid night marking Paddy Curran. Thanks to James O Connor for doing a great job with the lads aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

archieknox wrote: »
    I would have to agree with everything you have said here. It was a great game but I just think Dungarvan were that bit stronger,but had Paddy Curran not have his shooting boots on we were in big trouble. Roll on the county final now and lets hope we finish the job. I didn't see the sending off in the first half either as I was following the play but I wonder would it have had any different baring on the game as I honestly think Stephen Bennett wouldn't have come on at all only for the sending off.David Prendergast had to go for striking and I think it was frustration having had a torrid night marking Paddy Curran. Thanks to James O Connor for doing a great job with the lads aswell.
    Tell me one thing...Gavin Crotty is as good as any forward in the county. He doesn't want a call up to the county team?
    There's no way the management team could keep ignoring him every year...Against BG in the semi final he was top class

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Tell me one thing...Gavin Crotty is as good as any forward in the county. He doesn't want a call up to the county team?
    There's no way the management team could keep ignoring him every year...Against BG in the semi final he was top class

Gavin is a wonderful hurler but I think the reason he's not with the senior panel is because he works shift work in GSk and is under pressure to make the training. I agree with you he was our best player by far in the semi final. We have a few good players coming through so hopefully we can secure the u21 this year and eventually try to win a senior in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Don't think Darragh Lyons will be playing again this year. Great win for Dungarvan last night. Patrick Curran was just class, scored some great points and played a part in most of the scores. Worrying from a county point of view was to see Stephen Bennett holding his hip immediately after scoring. He looked to be in a lot of pain. I really hope he can get right but you would have to worry about his long term future in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Well done Dungarvan. Great chance to win it out now.

Cappoquin have just beaten Feakle having come from 6 points down first half in sixmiledbridge. First win in the Intermediate championship for a Waterford team since 2005. Well done to all involved, hopefully they can win it now. Bruff await in the final having edged out Lixnaw today.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Stephen Bennet lads hips are not in a good way,a sad thing for a 19 year old, I hear he needs another double hip op his second and the boy hasn't turned 20 yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

cookey123 wrote: »
    Stephen Bennet lads hips are not in a good way,a sad thing for a 19 year old, I hear he needs another double hip op his second and the boy hasn't turned 20 yet

He must be just after turning 19? He was only a few weeks overage for minor this year.

It is sad alright I think he had an operation recently, shame the lad is so talented, ever team he plays with can't afford to have him injured so he probably never gets the full time to recuperate, last night being a case in point.

If he wasn't fit enough to start - had to play most of the game in goal, for his own good he should have sat it out totally

Hopefully someone around him has the sense to protect the lad soon and put hie recovery first

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ballygunner hammered Roanmore in the U21 eastern final, 4-17 to 0-9.

Pity it was so one sided after Roanmore had great victories over Mount Sion and DLS to get to the final.

County final should be a right good game

• Advertisement

Any report on the cappoquin match?

Fair play to them for the cone back I thought they were going to get hammered when I was hearing the score updates.

Did Modeligo play in munster yet?

Hopefully the remaining teams do well in munster now and it is a sign of the club scene improving.

Shame Ballygunnar got knocked out I reckon Cratloe will win munster
    that Ballygunner match could be a blessing in disguise for the Nire

Fintan O Connor and Tom McGlinchey ratified last night. Fergal O Brien will be fitness coach.

Another selector to be announced in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lismore are their own biggest enemies. Prefer fighting with themselves than winning matches

deisedude wrote: »
    Lismore are their own biggest enemies. Prefer fighting with themselves than winning matches

I wouldn't like to be picking on any individual club but to be fair too many times do we here excuses and complaints coming from down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

nidgey wrote: »
    Was there any need to post this on an internet forum?

There is 3 county hurlers from lismore from last year. One of them was playing the u21 match, so you have given a pretty good idea to people who the person was. no need for it in my opinion.

I think that the individuals concerned should know that such incidents would be discussed in many fora outside of this page. Fairly outreagous carry on, senior club players and especially county players are role models to young people, and shouldn't be behaving in this fashion.

The referee should have known better also, and included this in his match report.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Any hurling selectors named yet?

Fintan O Connor and Tom McGlinchey ratified last night. Fergal O Brien will be fitness coach.

Another selector to be announced in the coming weeks.

What is Fintan O'Connor's background?

hardybuck wrote: »
    What is Fintan O'Connor's background?

Originally a rugby coach, has been teaching in Blackwater for a good while now where I think he started coaching hurling teams. Was brought in to coach Fourmilewater in 2010 when Mossy Carroll wasn't able to continue halfway through the year. They made the quarters but ended up being bet well by Passage. They made them again in 2011 but just didn't produce until too late against Ballygunner. And then 2012 lost to Dungarvan in the semi blowing a big chance.

His final year was last year which had a bad finish being hammered by Abbeyside. To be fair, up until then they were improving every year.

He's also managing Cappoquin this year. He's fairly young, learning all the time and would know a fair few of the Western lads from Blackwater. Would say he'd be a good appointment for the 21s and think it's a good idea to be involved with the Seniors then to have more time with them, but reckon he might be a bit inexperienced to be sole Waterford Senior coach if that's his role.

Was there any need to post this on an internet forum?

There is 3 county hurlers from lismore from last year. One of them was playing the u21 match, so you have given a pretty good idea to people who the person was. no need for it in my opinion.

From what I hear also , no Joxers betrayal of his home club havent gone down well up there. I have heard not only is he coaching a rival team, but also actively looking to poach talented players from smaller country clubs around the dungarvan area and also from other counties (for an outside manager to do this, just reeks), one from my own club a junior club who need all our players to compete.

I brought this to the attention on here as I believe it has no place in our game. There was wrong done both by the individual and the official in my opinion. At no stage did I want to implicate a lismore player from the night as I clearly stated it came from a mentor/supporter and NOT a player on the team. If it came from the Dungarvan side I would be stating the same thing,god knows over the years our own supporters have been known to over step the mark aswell. As for the poaching of local talent,yes,I won't deny that I have heard rumours,but then again the same rumours were being bandied about ever before James O Connor came in. To blame him for this is totally wrong and to be honest I think you are deflecting away from the problems that are up in his own club. Now just so as you don't think I am anti Lismore I want to say that on the night Ray Barry was brilliant again. We had nobody to counteract his dominance at centre back and I would go as far as to say had lismore come out on top he would have been man of the match. For the life of me I cannot understand why he was dropped from the senior county panel. That was the opinion of alot of Dungarvan people on the night when the game was discussed afterwards aswell. In my opinion though I do think there are issues within that club,obviously alot of it is over James,but I think it is not all the problem up there either.

Ballygunner have approached Micheal Harney from bunmahon to transfer, Mount sion have done it in the past with John Dee, DLS with Jack Kennedy and im sure there are more examples, the absence of parish rule makes such actions a frequent occurrence unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I won't name names like you have out of respect for the lads. But 5/6 players have been approached by dungarvan regarding transferring.

I guess to them , and the outside man that coaches them the most important thing is winning, it is obvious that they have no regard for smaller clubs and the hard work that goes into every club. But more sickening is how acceptable it seems to be from within there own club, at what point do you sell the soul out of your club before its been trained by an outsider, played by outsiders.

Hi Nidgey, I have heard of 2 players who Dungarvan have approached and they are from rural clubs in the area. The reason I named instances in my previous post was in the interest of balance and fairness to show they are not the only club who indulge in such practices, there is another club in the west who have approached a player from across the county divide to play with them next season so it is not just a practice for the large urban area's.

cookey123 wrote: »
    Hi Nidgey, I have heard of 2 players who Dungarvan have approached and they are from rural clubs in the area. The reason I named instances in my previous post was in the interest of balance and fairness to show they are not the only club who indulge in such practices, there is another club in the west who have approached a player from across the county divide to play with them next season so it is not just a practice for the large urban area's.

Is there any club within the county,at all levels,that hasn't tried to poach players for there club? I would be very interested in hearing the replies? Because of the non parish rule in this county the transfer system is there to be abused by the clubs if they can attract a suitable player to their club. It has been going on for years,I don't think there is any club within the county that hasn't abused the system at some stage. Is it right? Absolutely not. But forget about your rules and regulations that the GAA is founded on,if any club out there thinks it can benefit by playing the system it will do so. That is EVERY club not just Dungarvan!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I find it funny that Ballygunner and Dungarvan are named as clubs looking to poach. They seem to have a surplus of talent there. One Senior Champion, One Minor and both in the U-21 final. Anyone know when that final is on by the way.

Got a quick glance at the league hurling fix
    14th FEB away Limerick 7pm live on Setanta
    21st FEB home Laois 7pm which means Dungarvan (or maybe Carriganore could hold the crowds!!!)
    8th MAR up in biffo land
    15th MAR home to Antrim in both hurling and football (football the headline !!)
    22nd MAR away to Wexford

Not the same as entertaining Clare, Kilkenny and Tipp but maybe the young lads are better off a level down. I am actually squared off with going with the young panel provided SOS is dropped and Ray Barry comes back in (thats fair isn't it). In his last two sub appearances against kilkenny Ray Barry scored 1-7 in about 70 mins (players have got all stars for less), he can also play midfield or half back. Get him back in there..

How are The Nire going for Sunday? Cratloe are a very good team, but you'd hope that they might start to run out of steam. Home advantage a bonus as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Best wishes to the nire and modeligo on sunday

Best wishes to the nire and modeligo on sunday

Brickey Rangers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurlinbanter

Yes I forgot the brickeys best of luck to them also...is it true they have dropped 4 of their main players just because they were out for a night last weekend thats a bit harsh on them would be nice to see them giving it there best shot

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

Yes I forgot the brickeys best of luck to them also...is it true they have dropped 4 of their main players just because they were out for a night last weekend thats a bit harsh on them would be nice to see them giving it there best shot

Big call .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Mod: Locking this until a get a chance to tidy up.

Right I've deleted a lot of posts - some because they were just off topic drivel but most because they are against the forum charter. There are a lot of new posters on this thread in the last few days and I suggest that you read the Forum Charter. But to be clear - speculating about the integrity of a official or anyone connected with the GAA or posting wild accusations or hearsay about what happened at a match is not allowed here. I have resisted the urge to hand out loads of bans but this is this the one and only warning on the matter. Any more posts of this nature and cards will be handed out.

Btw: AnalSeepage- do not post in the GAA Forum again unless you change your user name.

• Advertisement

logbox wrote: »
    Big call .

Use the report button - do not backseat mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement