Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

I'm baffled if Shane Roche hasn't been called into the panel, looks the business every time I see him play

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Is bringing all these recent minor players into the senior set up going to come at the expense of the U21 team. I think the county would be better off in the long run if we gave this level the respect it deserves. We should be serious contenders here for the next 2-3 years but could end up with more results like this year against Cork if not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Heard a rumour today that brick may have been dropped too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I wonder would the County footballers be able to persuade Conor Gleeson to play football. Donie Breathnach is after choosing the footballers for the upcoming season. Bring back a few Ballinacourty players, Gavin Nugent and Shane Ryan, wouldn't have a bad team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I wonder would the County footballers be able to persuade Conor Gleeson to play football. Donie Breathnach is after choosing the footballers for the upcoming season. Bring back a few Ballinacourty players, Gavin Nugent and Shane Ryan, wouldn't have a bad team!

Unbelievable performance from him today. 0-5 from play.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable performance from him today. 0-5 from play.
    Last point was the best, game over after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Gleeson is going to be playing football in college, so hopefully thats a sign he wants a future in football, but the talent that he is its shouldnt be long before he is on the hurling panel! Any chance of Brick giving a year or 2 to the footballers??

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

cookey123 wrote: »
    Heard a rumour today that brick may have been dropped too

I've been fairly supportive all along, never said a bad word about the current management, and even said a cleanout might be good, and could only just about accept dropping Nagle and Foley, only just, but If Brick is dropped that's ridiculous.

I'll hold out to see if its true or not

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cookey123

Heard the reason some players were told they were dropped was because the management team were looking for players 25 and younger, not sure if this is the case for all players but I know 2 players were given this line.

cookey123 wrote: »
    Heard the reason some players were told they were dropped was because the management team were looking for players 25 and younger, not sure if this is the case for all players but I know 2 players were given this line.

I know it may well be an excuse, though the departures and replacements are consistent with the line, but it's a bit longsighted to be adopting that policy. If he doesn't get some sort of decent result out of next year his days are most likely numbered so I kind of find it hard to understand.

It may be beneficial long term all the same, but if it was a case of trying to convince people that he was doing what's best for Waterford and make himself more popular to buy time well I don't think it is working at all. Main reason behind that is probably the poor showing in the 21s suggesting it would take a time and a lot of work for these lads to be Senior standard.

On the case of the 21s, I dunno whether this would be a hindrance or an aid having so many on the Senior side. One key difference to last year where was 10 Senior lads training with the 21s is that Peter Queally wasn't in the Senior setup. If Fintan O'Connor is joining the Senior setup as well as becoming 21s manager, then at least he'll have a lot more time that Queally did with them.

Another thing would be I think there was actually only 4 21s that were regular through out the year in Dunford, Dillon, Gleeson and Bourke. There'll likely be a few more this year with the drop in the age demographic.

I believe they badly need success in this (in fact they really needed it this year) not just for the sake of winning something underage but what it would do in terms of interest inside and outside the County. There's little belief around Waterford hurling in general at the minute and I think the biggest obstacle to future success is financial at the minute. The only real way to change that is to generate interest in the team, and the only way that can be achieved is to show that any investment (and I mean something as simple as spectators going to a match) is worthwhile. I don't think it will take that much for a good few Waterford supporters to start believing in potential of the younger lads again.

And the incoming chairman will have the task of presiding over a board that needs to come up with some ingenuity to raise funds, because we are stuck in a rut at the minute.

• Advertisement

Did Martin O Neill have a stormer in the quarter final of the County championship? He just got the granville award, didn't think he did much in the semi or the final but in fairness that was in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Who is the incoming Chairman - or has this decision been made yet?

Has there been an announcement on the new senior football manager yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hey lads

Was looking at the Munster club football fixtures,I see The Nire won the Senior Football,what stage are the Intermediate and Junior Football championships at?

Hey lads

Was looking at the Munster club football fixtures,I see The Nire won the Senior Football,what stage are the Intermediate and Junior Football championships at?

Intermediate final is next weekend, Portlaw v Brickey Rangers.

Colligan and Old Parish drew in the West Junior final, so replay is next weekend. Means the County final won't be for another two weeks. Dunno who's in the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

hardybuck wrote: »
    Who is the incoming Chairman - or has this decision been made yet?

Has there been an announcement on the new senior football manager yet?
    I would hazard a guess and say the Nire could be celebrating on the double when it comes to the new chairman! Interesting our Manager pulled out of the radio interview yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Intermediate final is next weekend, Portlaw v Brickey Rangers.

Colligan and Old Parish drew in the West Junior final, so replay is next weekend. Means the County final won't be for another two weeks. Dunno who's in the East.

Kill/Fenor won the junior football in the east beating Roanmore in the final. Don't think it was much if a competition. Heard Ferrybank got to the semi final despite not winning a match all year.

U21 Hurling: Cork v Waterford, winner plays Clare

U21 Football: Clare v Waterford, winner plays Tipp

Minor Hurling: Tipp v Waterford, winner plays Clare, loser plays loser of Cork v Limerick with the winner playing the winner of that quarter (Kerry not in minor next year)

Minor Football; Tipp v Waterford

All away draws.

They really need to take the u21 serious next year. Made an absolute balls of it this year, even a week before the game because of the Wexford - Clare replay, there was bull**** rumours that some players had to choose the Senior or the U21.

Cork are nothing special and with the potential group of players Waterford have, they should be winning this, but we said that 2 months ago in Walsh Park. Is Fintan O'Connor the u21 manager or what?

I presume Galvin, Kelly, Morey etc are overage for Clare? I know Shane O'Donnell is on the age still

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SkipFC

I see in the Observer there's a meeting tonight in Dungarvan where championship structures for 2015 will be discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I presume Galvin, Kelly, Morey etc are overage for Clare? I know Shane O'Donnell is on the age still

Shane O'Donnell, Bobby Duggan, Jamie Shanahan, Conor Cleary, Shane Taylor, Shane Gleeson are underage; but they lose a lot of players.

They shouldn't be as strong as in the past 3 years, but you'd be made to write them off at the same time.

Tipp will be very strong though.

• Advertisement

They really need to take the u21 serious next year. Made an absolute balls of it this year, even a week before the game because of the Wexford - Clare replay, there was bull**** rumours that some players had to choose the Senior or the U21.

Cork are nothing special and with the potential group of players Waterford have, they should be winning this, but we said that 2 months ago in Walsh Park. Is Fintan O'Connor the u21 manager or what?

Yeah I think everyone of the starting team v Wexford is overage except Jamie Shanahan, Conor Cleary, Shane O'Donnell and Bobby Duggan.

That's a lot of players to be losing. Alan Cadogan is overage for Cork, though I would imagine they'll have the services of Pa O Callaghan next year.

Looks like Tom McGlinchey is going to be the new football manager.

From Cork, managed Tipp (not sure when) and Limerick u21s last year when they lost 2-14 to 0-11 to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Sliabh gCua1

culbaire wrote: »
    The famous three year plan was just a mechanism to insulate against bad results the first year.

Enda Kenny had a Five point plan in 2011 hadnt he. His one worked. Wasnt it to - Lie to them, Cut them, impose new taxes, Lie to them again, and come up with more tax's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

What's Damien Tiernan on about when he tweets about a changing of the guard for Waterford?..some announcement in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

homolumo wrote: »
    What's Damien Tiernan on about when he tweets about a changing of the guard for Waterford?..some announcement in the morning.

The tweet before says its a retirement. Reckon its Brick

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

deisedude wrote: »
    The tweet before says its a retirement. Reckon its Brick

If it is brick its proberly for the best. He made a huge mistake in bringing derek mcgrath in to replace michael ryan. Where we had optimism and positive hurling we now have low morale favourtism and negative hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Lad's get McGrath out now before he causes more damage.He's turning the squad into a city/East Waterford selection.I can't say too much here but Stephen Molumphy is being forced out from what im hearing.The man is anti West Waterford to the core.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Maybe it is Molumphy actually. Was forgetting him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Enda Kenny had a Five point plan in 2011 hadnt he. His one worked. Wasnt it to - Lie to them, Cut them, impose new taxes, Lie to them again, and come up with more tax's
    What has your post go to do with Waterford GAA? There is a separate section on boards for political discussion. Keep politics and politicians of ALL PARTIES out of positions in Waterford GAA.

I was never Kenny's greatest admirer however the country was bankrupt when he became Taoiseach. Wonder you did not blame him for that as well? Have you forgotten the Troika brought in by the previous government? Do you realise that when he took over government, the country was borrowing one third of what it was spending and the national debt was heading for €200 billion (200 thousand million). If it were a private business it would have been liquidated. Enda Kenny whether you like him or not inherited a mess and got rid of the Troika. The country was a laughing stock in 2010 before he took over. At least now it is recovering. People have paid a heavy price for the damage done from 2002-2010. If you can outline a painless solution to the mess you should be charging millions for your advice. Maybe you should consider running for the Dail?

Please keep politics off Waterford GAA thread. Waterford GAA at present has enough problems. It needs people using it- to promote a political point of view- like a hole in the head. I have never seen such disillusion among supporters as I have seen in the last week. Waterford GAA is in bigger trouble than ever before. There is a huge crisis in Waterford GAA. It is not going to go away anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Maybe it is Molumphy actually. Was forgetting him myself.

Lads, settle down a bit.

It's all in hands from what I hear.

Everything is sorted.

Jim Greene is coming on board as the last selector.

We now indeed have Waterford's hurling very own production of "Back to the Future"

It's 1985 all over again with Derek McFly and Biff Greene.

Mayo and Roscommon here we come!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement