Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Paul Flynn 16 in the Munster minor 92 Final against Tip.
    Scored 3-5, Jesus he was some talent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73vFuEwJOq8

Has he any sons coming up ..?

Lads I cant get over the size of the players. You could easily mistake them for senior players, and this was at a time when there were no gym programmes for players...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

When McGrath talks about patience trying things out I'm pretty sure that's exclusive to his system. Factor in trying to fit players in in different ways, but in the 3 games I was at I saw basically the same style of play employed in all 3 games. Only really worked against Galway, though had they been more accurate first half against Tipp we might be saying it worked against them. Failed miserably last weekend.

Basic point is of course all managers deserve at least one year, and the championship will be where we are judged. But given I did start to believe at the start of this campaign that Derek McGrath does have a pretty good hurling brain, I am concerned about the obvious problems we had last week that were present before but just became exposed by a top team last weekend. Looking for something more tomorrow.

You can have the best hurling brain in the world but standing on the sideline knowing where your team is going wrong and knowing what changes to make is a different thing entirely. I have no doubt mcgrath is a top class guy. Excellent man manager, motivator, has the respect of the players. Has the research done has looked in a lot of detail about managerial methods and strageties in a range of sports etc but it is my opinion that for the job he has been given he is out of his depth at the present time. He lacks experience and know-how, both which can he rectified with time. But id have huge resevations about whether his philosophies and ideas are really cut out for the business of inter county. management. Its not a step up from the level he has dealt with in the past, it is light years away.
    Of course managers need to be given time to grow and develop themselves aswell as build a team. But a bit like moyes at united, if the hand isnt fitting the glove from the start, all the time in the world isnt going to necessarily improve matters. Look its early days. Win or lose sunday is still not going to define our season. The championshio is ultimately where judgement will be made. And how we perform. If things start to click in the championship no one will remember anything about the league.
    But id be worried. I know cork and clare contested the league relegation final last year and look where their season ended up. Id like to take optimism from that. But im not sure. Im very impressed with a lot of things mcgrath says and does. But Id have huge reservations about uis ability to bring this team forward to the next level and get the best out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Worried I would be too and the positives should start tomorrow and win. I'm a bit alarmed with comparassions to Clare and Cork as imo Waterford do not have the calibre of players of the aforementioned Counties. Mentally Waterford are weak and lack self belief and here the management must address. I am led to believe that the named team will not be the team that will start tomorrow, if that is the case then imo the management are not giving positives as players have to mentally prepare for each specific game. Time will tell but think the management need to step up now even if it's in a relegation game as this will take a little heat off and tell the public they are capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Worried I would be too and the positives should start tomorrow and win. I'm a bit alarmed with comparassions to Clare and Cork as imo Waterford do not have the calibre of players of the aforementioned Counties. Mentally Waterford are weak and lack self belief and here the management must address. I am led to believe that the named team will not be the team that will start tomorrow, if that is the case then imo the management are not giving positives as players have to mentally prepare for each specific game. Time will tell but think the management need to step up now even if it's in a relegation game as this will take a little heat off and tell the public they are capable.

I don't think there's a lot between us and Cork, though Clare seem to have a lot more about them in the forwards. If we're honest, who thought either of those two would have ended up in an all-ireland final even in July? Never mind in March. But I feel far too many people read into the whole relegation division 1b thing from last year, it was the exception rather than the rule.

If the management are planning on changing the team tomorrow, the players will undoubtedly know before those that told you even knew so wouldn't be worried about that.

To be honest, I think losing tomorrow would be a very bad result for us. Though it won't define our season, it's most definitely a negative and not something we should be so passive about. I hope the players go out tomorrow and leave everything on the pitch, and if they do and come away with the win then it might point the season in a different direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

You are not the first person I have heard saying he was a 16 year old for that game but he was older than that I'm afraid. He was 17 from December 1991, making him 17 for the 1992 championship and the Munster final above but as a December baby he was overage as an 18 year from the 1993 minor championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Afraid to think what a defeat tomorrow will do for supporters morale. I knw they lads have there training trip on Tuesday so they won't be that disappointed if they lose.

McGrath doesn't seem worried and won't change his tactics even though every other team has copped onto them and Cork will also have his homework done on us. Dublin will knw our weaknesses and will have a plan tomorrow

Relagation is not the end of the world but it's a bit annoying that we won't be playing the Clare's and Kilkennys instead it will be the mighty Laois and Offaly Limerick and Wexford being the elite teams in 1b and they will be our big matches next February/march. Hopefully waterford can click tomorrow and we won't have to worry about 1B.

Let's hope we get our money's worth in Walsh park tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Afraid to think what a defeat tomorrow will do for supporters morale. I knw they lads have there training trip on Tuesday so they won't be that disappointed if they lose.

McGrath doesn't seem worried and won't change his tactics even though every other team has copped onto them and Cork will also have his homework done on us. Dublin will knw our weaknesses and will have a plan tomorrow

Relagation is not the end of the world but it's a bit annoying that we won't be playing the Clare's and Kilkennys instead it will be the mighty Laois and Offaly Limerick and Wexford being the elite teams in 1b and they will be our big matches next February/march. Hopefully waterford can click tomorrow and we won't have to worry about 1B.

Let's hope we get our money's worth in Walsh park tomorrow

relegation not the end of the world....its a massive step back...the fact people willing to accept it under this management and make excuses...the only way it acceptable will be straight back up...otherwise they will stagnate and go backwards massively....do we want these young players to go the clare route or the offaly/limerick route(not the same I know)
    if you want to be the best...you'll have to play/beat the best regulary

I really hope they win...and with all this rain they drag Dublin into a dogfight...and fluke a result.....going on form and performances Dublin shouldn't lose

Dotsy isn't named to start for Dublin, assuming that holds true there are no excuses for not winning tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Dotsy isn't named to start for Dublin, assuming that holds true there are no excuses for not winning tomorrow.

Gavin o brien in for jamie Barron tomorrow.. paul ryan in for dotsy which I believe is a greater threat to us

Gavin o brien in for jamie Barron tomorrow.. paul ryan in for dotsy which I believe is a greater threat to us

Ah no, Dotsy is definitely a better hurler. Disappointed to see Jamie Barron's punishment for being played out of position is to be dropped but I'm not overly shocked either. GOB has played a combined 11 minutes for Waterford so far in the league, wouldn't argue he doesn't deserve an opportunity o prove himself but then you pick your games to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Slobbery wrote: »
    You are not the first person I have heard saying he was a 16 year old for that game but he was older than that I'm afraid. He was 17 from December 1991, making him 17 for the 1992 championship and the Munster final above but as a December baby he was overage as an 18 year from the 1993 minor championship.

Fair enough think it saw it under the link.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nice goal from a certain D McGrath for Waterford's second

Saw that he was a handy enough hurler to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Ah no, Dotsy is definitely a better hurler. Disappointed to see Jamie Barron's punishment for being played out of position is to be dropped but I'm not overly shocked either. GOB has played a combined 11 minutes for Waterford so far in the league, wouldn't argue he doesn't deserve an opportunity o prove himself but then you pick your games to do that.

I'm not going to get onto a statistical argument and i certainly respect your choice but if I had a choice of either one for waterford id pick Paul Ryan all day but that's just me opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 49 OldBoro

If memory serves me right think McGrath was only 15 then.

I'm not going to get onto a statistical argument and i certainly respect your choice but if I had a choice of either one for waterford id pick Paul Ryan all day but that's just me opinion

Liked Paul Ryan myself when I first saw him but think he's far more hot and cold than Dotsy. And Dotsy is just one of those small forwards that you hate marking, moves all over the place and will causee trouble for any defence.

But not a bad replacement in fairness, though I don't think they have any depth. Not that we have much more at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

A loss tomorrow is quite possible against Dublin, who have beaten the two teams that hammered us. 1.13 wont win the game tomorrow that's for sure.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    A loss tomorrow is quite possible against Dublin, who have beaten the two teams that hammered us. 1.13 wont win the game tomorrow that's for sure.

the man above may be looking kindly on Waterford....imagine the state of walsh park tomorrow after this rain!!!

I think they will show a huge improvement,all going well they'll win...actually looking forward to it:cool:

I genuinely hope you're right Tom.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I genuinely hope you're right Tom.

so do I....really should know better at this stage:cool:

but I think they draw Dublin into a right low-scoring mess of a game in the bog of walsh park...not that they'll beat Dublin with this new fangled ''gameplan'' just I hope im right

will be some excitement if they do....either that or dubs will hammer them:mad::mad:
    and there will be a string of people on here trying to try paint relegation as positive thing:confused::confused:
    could you imagine any other team/county supporters trying to talk up relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

He was some hurler the best I've seen in the flesh, could do anything with the ball, hard to see his likes again in a Waterford jersey

• Advertisement

No 11 Centre forward, Derek McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

If we are serious of progressing it shouldn't matter who, where or the conditions as we must be prepared for all eventualities and get out and play to the best and to the end. Players must be in a position to do the utmost to get the result that matters and management must be prepared to call the shots for the team as opposed to appeasing individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

He was some hurler the best I've seen in the flesh, could do anything with the ball, hard to see his likes again in a Waterford jersey

He was just audacious wasn't he. Going for that goal at the end from there...class. Pity he only got sufficient quality around him in the forwards in the latter part of his career.

Deskjockey wrote: »
    He was just audacious wasn't he. Going for that goal at the end from there...class. Pity he only got sufficient quality around him in the forwards in the latter part of his career.

he had all the skills.....he got a unbelievable point in a county final one year in walsh park going through 4 or 5 players heading away from goal...falling and over his shoulder....unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

relegation not the end of the world....its a massive step back...the fact people willing to accept it under this management and make excuses...the only way it acceptable will be straight back up...otherwise they will stagnate and go backwards massively....do we want these young players to go the clare route or the offaly/limerick route(not the same I know)
    if you want to be the best...you'll have to play/beat the best regulay

I really hope they win...and with all this rain they drag Dublin into a dogfight...and fluke a result.....going on form and performances Dublin shouldn't lose

You say relegation would be an absolute disaster yet then go on to say it will be a fluke if we beat dublin. Really hope thats tongue in cheek....

Do people forget we actually beat dublin just 3 weeks ago. Handily. With 14 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Slobbery wrote: »

Derek McGrath played minor for Waterford three years in a row, 1992-1994. He didn't improve from his first year and never delivered on his early promise.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Derek McGrath played minor for Waterford three years in a row, 1992-1994. He didn't improve from his first year and never delivered on his early promise.

Lets hope he delivers as a manager

Tomorrow is a very significant day in Waterford hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hope I'm wrong but I just have a bad feeling about today. Whether its the last 2 results are clouding my thoughts or its the fact that I can't see a positive outcome because of our persistence with the game plan,maybe its both! As I said I hope I'm wrong and the boys prove all the doubters wrong(including myself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

What time is it on today. Mother's Day not helping in terms of me possibly getting to this game

• Advertisement

Deskjockey wrote: »
    What time is it on today. Mother's Day not helping in terms of me possibly getting to this game

3.30pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement