Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starship collection magazine

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Myrddin wrote: »
    What date should the new issue hit the shops?

I find it's always Thursday in Limerick. So next one is next Thursday

Excelsior and DS9 are out. DS9 is in short supply but huge demand.

If the ships are worth 16, DS9 is certainly worth 23. Nice and heavy, great detail but, and this is a large but, no stand included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

What's the quality of the excelsior like? I picked up ds9 instead, bar the pylons being a bit plasticky I think it was well worth the money. there was at least 5 ds9s left in easons in Cork at 2pm today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

FutureGuy wrote: »

If the ships are worth 16, DS9 is certainly worth 23. Nice and heavy, great detail but, and this is a large but, no stand included.

with free giant space cat

What's the quality of the excelsior like? I picked up ds9 instead, bar the pylons being a bit plasticky I think it was well worth the money. there was at least 5 ds9s left in easons in Cork at 2pm today.

It's light (again, confirming my theory that the are moving more away from metal as we go along) and the nacelles aren't great, but it's nicely detailed and coloured.

• Advertisement

Doesn't really do the ship justice, it did look a bit light in the shop. I still might go back in and pick it up though :D Hopefully the won't skimp on the defiant, I've can't wait to get my hands on it

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Watch the gentleman sitting behind it, mine loves* these ships.

*bashing the crap out of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So thanks to a combination of Easons & Forbidden Planet, I'm back up to date with these now

kccbcz.jpg

DS9 is pretty nice actually

11kdo47.jpg

2qb9i1i.jpg

ve90k9.jpg

Gonna leave these all boxed up for now & invest in some proper dedicated shelving for them in the new year

So thanks to a combination of Easons & Forbidden Planet, I'm back up to date with these now

DS9 is pretty nice actually

11kdo47.jpg

2qb9i1i.jpg

Gonna leave these all boxed up for now & invest in some proper dedicated shelving for them in the new year

I'm mortified. I have DS9 upside down on display. I hereby revoke my Star Trek fan membership.

I currently have all of them displayed buy I'll also have to look for some proper shelving. I have two of these in the home office...

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10011055/#/10119206

Might get a third for these models.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Money arrived back to my credit card this morning (fair play to PayPal)

That's not all that arrived though today:

I thought it was my new SSD drive but ssshhhh! :p Already had 1 & 2 and no BOP, but still!

One on adverts now...
    http://www.adverts.ie/ornaments-figurines/star-trek-eaglemoss-klingon-bird-of-prey-diecast-model/4117011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'm mortified. I have DS9 upside down on display. I hereby revoke my Star Trek fan membership.

You're excused. There is no "up" in space :D.

Goldstein wrote: »
    You're excused. There is no "up" in space :D.

Ah...erm...yes...you passed my test! That's right! :pac:

Put it on its side, instant Empok Nor :D

So what's the next ship? Defiant??

it bloody well better be, I've been waiting for that model for months!

it bloody well better be, I've been waiting for that model for months!

Months? Try since 1994 :o

Got mine with ds9 and Enterprise d with the extra nacell , looking good!

johnmryan wrote: »
    and Enterprise d with the extra nacell , looking good!

That's a subscriber only ship isn't it? Anyone know if this is available in stores at all?

That's a subscriber only ship isn't it? Anyone know if this is available in stores at all?
    Yea, I have a sub. It's the same as D with a few extras glued on :eek:

Not overly impressed with the Defiant.

The nose of the ship has a gap between it and the rest of the ship - it's very sloppy looking. I'll throw up a few pics later if I've time.

Few other small niggles. They're not massive but they're all distinctive features so are pretty noticeable when taken together.
    > The relief around the bridge area isn't deep enough, it's way too flat (Lack of depth).
    > From the rear, the surround of the nacelles including the distinctive split down the middle of each one is the same translucent blue material instead of the colour of the ship that it should be.
    > The deflector is barely noticable.
    > The grey-blue colour is too blue, it should be a darker grey.

First thing I looked at was the reg and it is the NX-74205 so original Defiant. The size is good (About the same width as the NX-01) but only the dorsal section of the primary hull is metal with most of the weight at the rear. No metallic finish like the NX-01 either. I'm starting to wonder if that was a one off. Luckily this time, unlike the appalling Voyager, there is no discernible difference in quality between the two materials.

To end on a positive: Deep Space Nine is a triumph! Absolute beauty of a model. Your eye is constantly drawn to it on the shelf.

• Advertisement

This is out already? Jeez, that flew in

It arrived as part of my early Christmas last week along with DS9, the Excelsior and the future 1701-D. The Defiant is due in the shops this Thursday I think.

It arrived as part of my early Christmas last week along with DS9, the Excelsior and the future 1701-D. The Defiant is due in the shops this Thursday I think.

Ah right, what do you think of the future-timeline D?

Not overly impressed with the Defiant.

The nose of the ship has a gap between it and the rest of the ship - it's very sloppy looking. I'll throw up a few pics later if I've time.

Few other small niggles. They're not massive but they're all distinctive features so are pretty noticeable when taken together.
    > The relief around the bridge area isn't deep enough, it's way too flat (Lack of depth).
    > From the rear, the surround of the nacelles including the distinctive split down the middle of each one is the same translucent blue material instead of the colour of the ship that it should be.
    > The deflector is barely noticable.
    > The grey-blue colour is too blue, it should be a darker grey.

First thing I looked at was the reg and it is the NX-74205 so original Defiant. The size is good (About the same width as the NX-01) but only the dorsal section of the primary hull is metal with most of the weight at the rear. No metallic finish like the NX-01 either. I'm starting to wonder if that was a one off. Luckily this time, unlike the appalling Voyager, there is no discernible difference in quality between the two materials.

To end on a positive: Deep Space Nine is a triumph! Absolute beauty of a model. Your eye is constantly drawn to it on the shelf.

Glad someone agrees with me on Voyager - the paint on me looks like... you know in school when you use too much tip-ex and it's thick looking... (sorry best way to describe it)

Defiant was not too bad I thought, the front of mine is very loose

Pretty unimpressed with the quality of the Defiant. The bottom of the nacelle fell off as soon as I took it out of the box and the nose isn't the best. The model looks pretty good, but the build quality is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The models can fly? :eek::eek::eek:

I built a Defiant model...it's cloaked though :cool:

Is the Sphere issue out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

Is the Sphere issue out yet?

Saw it in Porters, Wilton, Cork yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

they took the money out of my bank account just before Christmas, so am expecting it any day now!

• Advertisement

Picked up the Borg Sphere...seems a decent enough effort? Reliant next week...can't wait, this better be a good one as it's one of my favourite ships

Advertisement