Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starship collection magazine

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Think I'm going to skip tomorrow's. I'd be buying it to keep up the collection, not because I want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Think I'm going to skip tomorrow's. I'd be buying it to keep up the collection, not because I want it.

What one is it? The Excelsior?

Myrddin wrote: »
    What one is it? The Excelsior?

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27t%27inga_class

Heathen! The K't'inga is a beauty, a real classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I was in Easons (and a few other city centre stores) to pick up Issue 6 (Voyager) today and could not find them (even the kiosk outside where I bought Issue 5 was out) ... does anyone know where I can pick up issue 6 in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Voyager was at the beginning of the month mate. Not sure if you'll find it anywhere now without going online for it.

Voyager was at the beginning of the month mate. Not sure if you'll find it anywhere now without going online for it.

Yep Voyager was last issue. I'll have agander at my local easons fo you.

Yep Voyager was last issue. I'll have agander at my local easons fo you.

Thanks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Everything (Bar #3) arrived a couple of days ago up to issue #7, 15-20 days after payment taken so just scraped the 21 days.

Quality-wise so far I'd rank them:

NX-01 (In a class of its own, a simply outstanding model, the metallic finish and detailing is gorgeous)

1701-D (Superb detail. Didn't think this would be beaten before I saw the NX-01)

D'deridex (My favourite ship and almost on a par with the 1701-D, nice weight towards the rear too. Hard to see how they could have made it any better)
    K't'inga (Nice texturing, decent weight, also very happy with this one)

(Big gap)

Voyager (Disappointing lack of definition on the dorsal side which is very plasticy and indistinct, it looks awful next to the NX-01. Given that this is one of the major ships that is an unforgivable lapse.)
    1701 refit (Poor lack of definition and maybe it's just me but the thickness of the saucer section seems off. The joint between the nacelle struts and the engineering hull is very poor)

Not in a position to judge the quality of the Bird of Prey as mine must have decided to go back to 1986 to save the whales.

The warp engines on the Enterprise 1701D are prone to breaking off ... but thankfully in a way that is easy to repair with a little bit of Airfix glue ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Goldstein wrote: »
    Everything (Bar #3) arrived a couple of days ago up to issue #7, 15-20 days after payment taken so just scraped the 21 days.

Quality-wise so far I'd rank them:

NX-01 (In a class of its own, a simply outstanding model, the metallic finish and detailing is gorgeous)

1701-D (Superb detail. Didn't think this would be beaten before I saw the NX-01)

D'deridex (My favourite ship and almost on a par with the 1701-D, nice weight towards the rear too. Hard to see how they could have made it any better)
    K't'inga (Nice texturing, decent weight, also very happy with this one)

(Big gap)

Voyager (Disappointing lack of definition on the dorsal side which is very plasticy and indistinct, it looks awful next to the NX-01. Given that this is one of the major ships that is an unforgivable lapse.)
    1701 refit (Poor lack of definition and maybe it's just me but the thickness of the saucer section seems off. The joint between the nacelle struts and the engineering hull is very poor)

Not in a position to judge the quality of the Bird of Prey as mine must have decided to go back to 1986 to save the whales.

Got mine today - all 4 of the last ships in one batch (makes me think they never sent the first batch at all just sent them all together)

Had a quick look like them all, but very disappointed by Voyager - which is a big deal for me for the collection. The NX01 looks great!

I have to say the K'Tinga is savage. A little light but nicely coloured and detailed.

Next week, things get personal. USS Excelsior. Probably my favourite ever class of starship. They better get this right...

By the way, the first special is DS9 and is available in 28th November priced 23.99. Available in shops but I think you may need to order it in.

Sweet, Paypal decided in my favour & I got a refund for the two months worth of subs I had paid. Now, to get the back issues manually via Forbidden Planet or somesuch. When is the Excelsior issue out?

Sweet, Paypal decided in my favour & I got a refund for the two months worth of subs I had paid. Now, to get the back issues manually via Forbidden Planet or somesuch. When is the Excelsior issue out?

Next week :-) are you missing all issues?

Next week :-) are you missing all issues?

Cool, next week it is. I need 4, 5,6 & 7 but have already got sorted out via Forbidden Planet so in a few weeks I should be up to scratch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just got emails from PayPal saying the same with 10 days left on the case :D

Fair play to them. I've only ever had to deal with their recovery/resolution centre once before but they seem very fair.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just got emails from PayPal saying the same with 10 days left on the case :D

Fair play to them. I've only ever had to deal with their recovery/resolution centre once before but they seem very fair.

10 days left on your dispute & they settled early? The retailer must have given that the green light. But yeah agreed, I was chuffed with the response so even took the time to do their survey thingy :D

Cool, next week it is. I need 4, 5,6 & 7 but have already got sorted out via Forbidden Planet so in a few weeks I should be up to scratch :)

Forgive my stupidity but is that Forbidden Planet online or the store in Dublin please? I had a very positive experience with forbiddenplanet.co.uk some time back. They could have raped me on postage like most online retailers do but they charged me the same as the UK!

Forgive my stupidity but is that Forbidden Planet online or the store in Dublin please? I had a very positive experience with forbiddenplanet.co.uk some time back. They could have raped me on postage like most online retailers do but they charged me the same as the UK!

Physical store, I wonder can you sub with them online though as it is a bit of a pain driving into town just for a magazine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

There is a place in the dundrum centre as well you might be able to get them from, think its called bigbangtheory or something. might be handier for parking.

• Advertisement

keithgeo wrote: »
    There is a place in the dundrum centre as well you might be able to get them from, think its called bigbangtheory or something. might be handier for parking.

Really? Cool, will check that out Keith cheers. Are you collecting them?

I got the first one when it was cheap, i was going to but to be honest i thought the price was a bit high when you add it all up and i had no interest in the mag only the models. I kinda wish i had now though because i since started watching TNG again!

keithgeo wrote: »
    I got the first one when it was cheap, i was going to but to be honest i thought the price was a bit high when you add it all up and i had no interest in the mag only the models. I kinda wish i had now though because i since started watching TNG again!

It's not too late, do it! Who wouldn't want a Romulan Warbird & Excelsior sitting perched on a shelf :D

ah too close to christmas now to spend the money on it, plus ive a Mortal Kombat 2 cab to fix up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Same experience with eagle moss, I subscriped early September and received the numbers 2 & 3 as I already had the first...then they continued to take the payments but nothing arrived.

I called them the start of last week and lost the rag-tag with them, I then got issues 6 & 7 and have been told I'll have 4 4 & 5 by the end of this week. If I don't I'll be cancelling with them.

Joke it is - If I'm paying you for a product and I'm a subscriber , I should get priority not the opposite!

Ships are very nice , just hope the quality stays high. Some are better than others. Was impressed with the Klingon Bird of prey but the K'Tinga not so much..

Money arrived back to my credit card this morning (fair play to PayPal)

That's not all that arrived though today:

WP_20131121_21_06_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20131121_21_07_25_Pro.jpg

I thought it was my new SSD drive but ssshhhh! :p Already had 1 & 2 and no BOP, but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

are the models worth the money?
    they look nice but a bit on the small side

mr lee wrote: »

Honestly no I don't think I'd have continued with them either way for the price.

The NX-01 and the Enterprise-D are the best of the ones I got, but Voyager and the Refit are very poor IMO. Some of the stands aren't great either (eg: the Warbird's)

The scale is way off too. The -D and Warbird should be a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Already had 1 & 2 and no BOP, but still!
    The BoP is out of stock at the minute so they tell me. Probably to do with all the US orders.
    The scale is way off too. The -D and Warbird should be a lot bigger.
    You can't blame them for scaling though. The d'deridex is twice the length of the 1701-D which itself is nearly three times the length of the NX-01. With such big differences in size it's not possible to use the same scale unless people were prepared to pay a lot more for the bigger models. Even then they'd still have to use different scales for things like the Cube, Voth city ship, DS9, Runabout etc. The only option at this price is to pick a rough length/width for all the ships and scale all of them up/down to that.
    mr lee wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that the poorest one so far, the 1701 refit, was only a few euro Voyager is the only one so far that wasn't worth it due to the cheaper ABS plastic material used for its dorsal side. The rest were well worth the money imo. The Excelsior will be a good test to compare to the refit as they're similar ships and the models are roughly the same size. I'll almost definitely stick with it for the first 20 or so but I'll be watching the quality closely and if there are many more Voyager incidents or its evident they're cutting corners again I'll be forced to reassess the subscription.

• Advertisement

What date should the new issue hit the shops?

Advertisement