Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seriously, I am not grievously offending you !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭flutered

a whle back i was trying to park in the square mitchelstown, there was a woman, i cannot use the word lady, behind the wheel of a seven seater, parked along the enterencee to two disabled parking spaces, she had a fone to her ear, after a few minutes i bipped the horn, she moved i then parked, about five minutes later there was a banging on the window, then a tirade, then a demand to view my blue badge, while this was going on i looked in the rear view mirror, only to see her car parked behind mine, on the road at the exit from the side road to the main road, what a female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

flutered wrote: »
    ... what a female.

I think in cases like this it's perfectly acceptable to use the word bitch....

(few things piss me off more in inconsiderate parking than parking in disabled spaces, in Holland you'll get double the usual fine, they should bring that in here. Or perhaps you could get some of these )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Does this scenario seem plausible? You're driving on a motorway at or just below the speed limit. There is traffic up ahead moving at a slower speed so you move to the overtaking lane. Unfortunately up ahead you find three or four more vehicles in the overtaking lane travelling at less than the speed limit. You can't pass, but then up behind you comes somebody travelling in excess of the speed limit. Now you're in their way. Then somebody appears behind them travelling far faster than the speed limit...

The scenario is quite common, 2 or 3 cars in front of you in the overtaking lane (lets say they are doing 100), they are overtaking another vehicle/s (he is doing 80). I encounter these vehicle while I was travelling at a higher speed, I wait behind them at a safety distance waiting for them to finish overtaking so you can overtake them all. While this happens another vehicle approaches from behind (eg doing 120), instead of waiting he decides to stick his nose up my tail (or flashing doesnt matter) despite I have 4 cars in front of me.

This has never happened to you? odd I get it all the time, normally I ignore them as I ignore most of these drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Just read the argument back there. If someone is rushing to an emergency and is held up for, say, an entire minute by a clueless/ ignorant driver then they are more than entitled to spend 1/60th of that time telling the cause of their delay what a tool they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Bohrio wrote: »
    The scenario is quite common, 2 or 3 cars in front of you in the overtaking lane (lets say they are doing 100), they are overtaking another vehicle/s (he is doing 80). I encounter these vehicle while I was travelling at a higher speed, I wait behind them at a safety distance waiting for them to finish overtaking so you can overtake them all. While this happens another vehicle approaches from behind (eg doing 120), instead of waiting he decides to stick his nose up my tail (or flashing doesnt matter) despite I have 4 cars in front of me.

This has never happened to you? odd I get it all the time, normally I ignore them as I ignore most of these drivers

Absolutely mate, I get that regularly as well.

Overtaking a line of traffic on a Motorway but there's a wee line in the overtaking lane too as the front guy isn't going much faster than the cars he's overtaking (which in itself is no major problem). So not wanting to tailgate, I keep a small bit back from the vehicle in front of me but next thing I know, there's someone sitting on my back bumper who obviously thinks its me holding things up and that I should either move out of his way or move right up behind the car in front.

It can be quite irritating at times!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

All these stories of loonies inspired me to remember one of my more interesting experiences.
    Back in 97 I had a Peugeot Partner van, and had gone on a job to Dublin. Coming back down to Cork next morning, I noticed a Micra sitting in the overtaking lane, pulling in to the left when there was no one around, then seeming to go back out into the overtaking lane when a car came up behind. She did this to a 5 series who was really travelling, forcing him to slow right down. Then lights flashed, eventually horns beeped and the bimmer undertook. Now I could see the handshaking and gesticulations going on in the Micra, thinking "what a looney...."
    Anyway this continued on, more of the same, but it never got too far ahead of me as it would slow right down at times. Outside Kildare Town or Monasterevin or one of those places, there was a particularly bad couple of miles of road coming up, maybe up to the Laois border? Anyway, sh*t or bust, the Micra is in front of me all sedate (But I didn't know how long that would last), so I go for it. It wasn't the best place to overtake, solid white line, but just enough view to make sure it was clear. Anyway, bitch speeded up to match me, and I'm bricking it. I look left and see a woman, blondish hair and glasses, screaming like a f**king maniac at me, waving the fist, literally purple with rage. I got such a shock I literally planted the right boot and tore off down the road away from her. It was either that, or literally pull in for half an hour to let her get far ahead, and I needed to get home.

Anyway, move on 5/6 years, and myself and my beloved are behind a newish Micra, coming out from Limerick, at the new stretch of road, approaching Patrickswell. Micra is pulling out to the white line when cars overtake, speeding up to match them, fists going like fiddlers elbow.
    I start to recount the previous experience in Kildare to the beloved, and this Micra is really behaving nuttier than squirrel sh*t ahead. Again, you were coming into a narrow road then, no passing for miles, so off I went, lovely 2L petrol Laguna, started to move past the Micra and bitch speeds up again. Just as we were level my girlfriend turns to look at your wan, and says to me: "Did you say mousey blonde hair, and glasses?"
    Well f*ck me, I looked across too and it was the same bloody loonbag from Kildare. I kid you not. Floored it to get past her and home. GF was stunned, especially as I had just told her the story about 5 minutes before i passed the Micra squirrel.......

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

I don't think the point about people flashing others who are speeding vs. those who flash to allow them pass is completely moot. In theory both speeding and lane hogging are likely to increase the chances of an accident. So if one is concerned with decreasing the likelihood of an accident, a flash would be warranted in both cases.

However, attempting to regulate another persons speed by driving in front of them at a pace that you consider appropriate is likely to result in a more dangerous situation (e.g. undertaking, road rage...) than allowing that person to continue driving at a speed which you consider inappropriate. So if safer roads are your goal, simply move over.

While on the subject of undertaking, is it always illegal or what exactly is undertaking? Does it have to involve a change of lanes or does maintaining your speed and passing a slower moving car to your right also count. Like if you are in the left hand land driving at 100 and some goon is stuck in the middle lane doing 90 with no other traffic on the road. Can you simply continue on and pass him on the inside? I suspect you can but just want to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The rules of the road is based on driving on the left.
    So undertaking even below the limit is still undertaking. Two wrongs dont make it right.
    You have a better chance of being pulled over undertaking than hogging a lane.

So if you are driving at 100 in the left lane and guy in the middle lane is doing 90, you have to slow down to 90 when you get along side him but are not allowed to pass? Unless you cross over to the 2nd overtaking lane of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

visual wrote: »
    The rules of the road is based on driving on the left.
    So undertaking even below the limit is still undertaking. Two wrongs dont make it right.
    You have a better chance of being pulled over undertaking than hogging a lane.

What's your opinion if you are in lane 1, lane 2 is empty and the hogger is doing 90kph in lane 3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

whiterebel wrote: »
    All these stories of loonies inspired me to remember one of my more interesting experiences.
    Back in 97 I had a Peugeot Partner van, and had gone on a job to Dublin. Coming back down to Cork next morning, I noticed a Micra sitting in the overtaking lane, pulling in to the left when there was no one around, then seeming to go back out into the overtaking lane when a car came up behind. She did this to a 5 series who was really travelling, forcing him to slow right down. Then lights flashed, eventually horns beeped and the bimmer undertook. Now I could see the handshaking and gesticulations going on in the Micra, thinking "what a looney...."
    Anyway this continued on, more of the same, but it never got too far ahead of me as it would slow right down at times. Outside Kildare Town or Monasterevin or one of those places, there was a particularly bad couple of miles of road coming up, maybe up to the Laois border? Anyway, sh*t or bust, the Micra is in front of me all sedate (But I didn't know how long that would last), so I go for it. It wasn't the best place to overtake, solid white line, but just enough view to make sure it was clear. Anyway, bitch speeded up to match me, and I'm bricking it. I look left and see a woman, blondish hair and glasses, screaming like a f**king maniac at me, waving the fist, literally purple with rage. I got such a shock I literally planted the right boot and tore off down the road away from her. It was either that, or literally pull in for half an hour to let her get far ahead, and I needed to get home.

Anyway, move on 5/6 years, and myself and my beloved are behind a newish Micra, coming out from Limerick, at the new stretch of road, approaching Patrickswell. Micra is pulling out to the white line when cars overtake, speeding up to match them, fists going like fiddlers elbow.
    I start to recount the previous experience in Kildare to the beloved, and this Micra is really behaving nuttier than squirrel sh*t ahead. Again, you were coming into a narrow road then, no passing for miles, so off I went, lovely 2L petrol Laguna, started to move past the Micra and bitch speeds up again. Just as we were level my girlfriend turns to look at your wan, and says to me: "Did you say mousey blonde hair, and glasses?"
    Well f*ck me, I looked across too and it was the same bloody loonbag from Kildare. I kid you not. Floored it to get past her and home. GF was stunned, especially as I had just told her the story about 5 minutes before i passed the Micra squirrel.......

Did you get the number plate. I'd be ringing the nearest station with the number plate if I were you.

Taken from another thread.

Article 10 Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/...zsi182y1997a10

10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

(2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—

( a ) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

(3) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, on a stretch of roadway on which traffic sign number RUS 014 [no overtaking] has been provided.

(4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

(5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,

( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

Part c immediately above seems to answer my question. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I was behind an unmarked cop car (black corolla), sitting in the outside overtaking lane all the way from Tallaght to Bray earlier on. 105-115 Kph all the way. Then he cuts across the left hand lane, and across a solid white to take the Bray north off slip. So much for the law giving a damn. Granted they're not traffic cops, but still an attempt at lane discipline would be expected from them..

Funny thing was some guy in an A4 went flying up behind him & tailgated before he realised it was the shades, wasn't long backing off when he realised :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

What's your opinion if you are in lane 1, lane 2 is empty and the hogger is doing 90kph in lane 3 ?

I pull out into lane 3 and flash the numpit until they move over.

It will piss them off to no end.
    I can understand someone who would want to avoid this conflict just staying in lane one and undertaking.

If I was a Garda I would pull in the lane hogger but im not and I've seen garda more interested in undertaking than driving in wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

glynf wrote: »
    I was behind an unmarked cop car (black corolla), sitting in the outside overtaking lane all the way from Tallaght to Bray earlier on. 105-115 Kph all the way. Then he cuts across the left hand lane, and across a solid white to take the Bray north off slip. So much for the law giving a damn. Granted they're not traffic cops, but still an attempt at lane discipline would be expected from them..

Funny thing was some guy in an A4 went flying up behind him & tailgated before he realised it was the shades, wasn't long backing off when he realised :D
    A video up on YouTube might shame them into an attempt at proper driving.

kilclon wrote: »
    So if you are driving at 100 in the left lane and guy in the middle lane is doing 90, you have to slow down to 90 when you get along side him but are not allowed to pass? Unless you cross over to the 2nd overtaking lane of course.

I really don't care if its illegal or not and if I get pulled by the Cops, so be it.

I'm fed up with people sitting in an overtaking lane doing 50 mph. If I'm in the driving lane doing 60, I just continue on my way. I'm not going to slow down and pull in behind him in the hope that he might notice me and move over.

(Cue all the lectures from the perfect driving brigade :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Same as that I tend to undertake them if they don't move, unless its a cop that's hogging the lane ;)

Its frustrating sitting behind some f*cking clown that's oblivious to other road users or feels its their duty to dictate the speed others, undertake them and forget them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Jesus. wrote: »
    I really don't care if its illegal or not and if I get pulled by the Cops, so be it.

I'm fed up with people sitting in an overtaking lane doing 50 mph. If I'm in the driving lane doing 60, I just continue on my way. I'm not going to slow down and pull in behind him in the hope that he might notice me and move over.

Have you ever had one of those clowns pick the moment when you're undertaking to move left? I have, and it's not pretty. If you're going to undertake then use the horn to make sure that they know that you're there.

I'm fed up with people sitting in an overtaking lane doing 50 mph.

I always wonder if these are the same people that don't seem to realise that it is indeed okay to go past a speedcamera or garda car doing the speed limit (or a bit less).

absolutely no need to slow down to 60 when you see a speed camera or garda car:mad: Nobody in the history of driving has EVER been done for doing the speed limit (circumstances allowing yadayadayada) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you ever had one of those clowns pick the moment when you're undertaking to move left? I have, and it's not pretty. If you're going to undertake then use the horn to make sure that they know that you're there.
    Yeap, cause mirrors only work on right side of the car....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Unless you are like some lady driver i regularly see with her passenger mirror constantly folded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

:
    Part c immediately above seems to answer my question. Thanks

No it doesn't. 90km/h is not considered slow moving traffic by those who matter, it might be slower than other traffic but it's not slow. Part c really only applies where traffic is actually moving slowly as in traffic jams or queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I was taking the N4 to M50 exit at Liffey Valley. I had just entered the slip way and like a flash someone cut up the person behind me at the very last instant. Crazy closing speed followed by a hell of a lot of braking I would imagine.

The person behind me was already a bit too close as it was so this new fella was very very close to me. For some reason he started giving off to me. Hands flailing, he tried to say something to me but I dunno, windows caused problems with that. Of course, I had done nothing. Just following traffic down the slip road.

Before we got to the end of the slip way, he practically stopped to block the person he cut up. I guess he decided to floor it then and passed me on the bridge. He whizzed past me.

By the time I got to the airport I found him again up the arse of someone else. He attempted a dastardly undertake, got blocked in and I ended up passing him. Me and my canal barge of a wagon win sometimes.

This driver was very angry but that aside, can you imagine how stressed he was making himself? Poor chap will go grey in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

wexie wrote: »
    I always wonder if these are the same people that don't seem to realise that it is indeed okay to go past a speedcamera or garda car doing the speed limit (or a bit less).

Best thing about that is that it seems to send a lot of drivers out of the over taking lane and then drive slower. A busy motorway at is most pleasurable.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Yeap, cause mirrors only work on right side of the car....

I think the assumption probably is (rightly so in most cases) that people that already drive like that aren't necessarily the best at checking their mirrors.

If they were there likely wouldn't be much of case to undertake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Gotta say Im not a stranger to undertaking:o
    Ill slow down to two or three car lengths behind someone and give them about ten seconds to move over if they dont they get a visual signal and after that they can do as much scobbing as they like, into my window:)

wexie wrote: »
    I think the assumption probably is (rightly so in most cases) that people that already drive like that aren't necessarily the best at checking their mirrors.

If they were there likely wouldn't be much of case to undertake

Same could apply with them moving into the 3rd lane too though.

And I ain't going to start beeping every car I pass when I'm in lane 3!

With you all the way.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    No it doesn't. 90km/h is not considered slow moving traffic by those who matter, it might be slower than other traffic but it's not slow. Part c really only applies where traffic is actually moving slowly as in traffic jams or queues.

Well it answers it adequately for me. I see it every day i travel on the M7 where both lanes are full but traveling at between 80 and 100km. Sometimes the left lane moves faster, sometimes the right. No way everyone in the left lane is breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Same could apply with them moving into the 3rd lane too though.

And I ain't going to start beeping every car I pass when I'm in lane 3!

True dat, fair enough point. Maybe it's just that people are less likely to expect undertaking?

Personally I just assume some people have no mirrors, or at least don't know how to use them.

Had some dumb oaf nearly drive into the car this morning coming of the roundabout at the Dunkettle interchange cause he didn't bother to check whether or not there was someone next to him.

Advertisement