Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seriously, I am not grievously offending you !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

total waste of time...make all the rules you want, but noone will enforce them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This happens all the time on the N25 :mad:

Latest idiot (and possible contender for the Darwin Awards): Just joined the N25 at the Dunkettle. An old Skoda was in front of me in the fast lane. Couldn't have been doing more than 50kph - honest! As I had just joined in the fast lane, I had no choice but to sit behind him pootling along until I passed the junction, then undertake him.

Loads of cars leaning on the horn and flashing the guy. He was totally oblivious...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

corktina wrote: »
    total waste of time...make all the rules you want, but noone will enforce them...

So true.. and ironically WHY we have so many rules in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

corktina wrote: »

Or obey them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Driving home yesterday evening roads were relatively quiet. Entering a roundabout from the left lane to turn left, indicating left. Another driver is going around the roundabout on the inside lane so I let her pass before I enter. Of course she exits cutting across my lane to go left without indicating or even a glance to see if anyone was in the outer lane.

Ended up behind her and I knew I had a driver who was oblivious to the world outside her car. Sure enough she takes the next right without indicating or slowing down cutting across the exit lane. Flashed her when she started turning and the look I got with hands in the air as if I had just offended her honour or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Driving home yesterday evening roads were relatively quiet. Entering a roundabout from the left lane to turn left, indicating left. Another driver is going around the roundabout on the inside lane so I let her pass before I enter. Of course she exits cutting across my lane to go left without indicating or even a glance to see if anyone was in the outer lane.

Ended up behind her and I knew I had a driver who was oblivious to the world outside her car. Sure enough she takes the next right without indicating or slowing down cutting across the exit lane. Flashed her when she started turning and the look I got with hands in the air as if I had just offended her honour or something.

had something similar recently myself, approaching a roundabout i drive past to get home every day in douglas,

i was in the right lane taking the 2nd exit, he was in the left lane which is clearly marked exit 1 only, (even has the name of the road after exit 1 painted and the letters O-N-L-Y after the name of that road) but from his positioning i suspected he was going for exit 2,

sure enough he skipped exit 1 and started getting closer to me, so i beeped to let him know i was there, and pulled in behind him, Just after the exit (exit 2) he pulls in to the bus lane parks and comes at my car angrily, i overtook and kept going up the hill,

he leaped back into his car and literally followed me so close i swear he almost hit my bumper until his turn off,

absolute maniac probably thinks he's still in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

_Puma_ wrote: »

She would have indicated but she just didn't want you knowing too much about her business, didn't like the look of you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Lol I'd almost agree if she even noticed I was there. I'm pretty sure I startled here when I flashed. I put the roundabout thing down to Blind panic that seems to hit some drivers when they enter a large roundabout. Tunnel vision and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This happens all the time on the N25 :mad:

Latest idiot (and possible contender for the Darwin Awards): Just joined the N25 at the Dunkettle. An old Skoda was in front of me in the fast lane. Couldn't have been doing more than 50kph - honest! As I had just joined in the fast lane, I had no choice but to sit behind him pootling along until I passed the junction, then undertake him.

Loads of cars leaning on the horn and flashing the guy. He was totally oblivious...

oh dear ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just as an aside..I just drove in the last hour from Clontarf to blanch via m1, tunnel and m50 and saw all of the above!

• Advertisement

oh dear ... :pac:

its a cork thing! :D we call the over taking lane the fast lane, cause there are no overtakers here, just fast cars and slow cars! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

we all know, thanks to Jeremy clarkson that the left lane stands for the loser lane :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its a cork thing! :D we call the over taking lane the fast lane, cause there are no overtakers here, just fast cars and slow cars! :pac:

It's also an English thing. I am after all English! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My uncle flashed the w@nker sign at a fella in another car and the guy followed him for 20 mintues!

Lesson learned.

I never make gestures or do any of that crap when driving. You have no idea what sort of psycho you could be pissing off. Just let them away and never see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

When I was on my way home from the match on Sunday I passed a golf reversing back down the hard shoulder of the motorway because they had missed their exit...this in my book is unforgivable...absolute insanity :mad:
    On the evening Kerry Beat Cork in the Munster Football Final on 7th July approx 7-8pm. Hours later after the match outside Limerick City. I was on the M20 travelling from Dooradoyle towards Adare and before the Ballycummin bridge overpass. Low and behold a kerry woman in her 50's in a 05 silver/beige KY car driving in the wrong direction on the overtaking lane. People were flashing her and she is waving angrily at everybody else.

I get over someone stupidly sitting on the overtaking lane going in the same direction as I am. This woman was thick and beyond stupid. She endangered herself , her passengers and other road users by driving in the wrong direction and at speed on the wrong carriageway.

You think her female passenger of similar age could let her know there is something wrong with the road. These are obvious features that could indicate something not jusssst not quite right.

My View on google map at the scene of the incident: I have a not so great video recording in which I will post later.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.624024,-8.639814&spn=0.003654,0.010439&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.623792,-8.639962&panoid=ZXg5VOCMI-gYkOJGynBzGg&cbp=12,204.26,,0,8.21
    Her view on Google maps
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.623347,-8.640254&spn=0.003654,0.010439&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.623563,-8.640108&panoid=aAsVI7CLUXc4TJbRyiWupQ&cbp=12,26.4,,0,16.86&z=17

You may think any of the following questions would come into her head.

1/. Why is there a No Entry sign Here at the entrance of the dual carriageway?
    2/. What does the Blue arrow indicate?
    3/. What does the writing "NO ENTRY" indicate?
    4/. Why is there a continuous white line to my left instead of a yellow?
    5/. Why is there only one Dash yellow line on the Road only on my right?
    6/. Why are sign posts facing the other direction?
    7/. Why are the writing on the road backwards?
    8/. Why are the arrows on the road facing me rather than going my direction.
    9/. Why are people flashing and beeping their horns?

I could excuse the sun was binding her vision, except it was shining into my eyes, not hers.
    I could excuse bad weather except there was not a cloud in the sky.
    I could excuse it been dark, except the sun was shining into my eyes.
    I could excuse the wind blew her into the wrong side of the dual carriageway except not a leaf on the tree swayed that evening.
    I could excuse that the Council/NRA not putting up sign posts and road markings, except there are there for all to see.

The only excuse I could come up with is
    The evening had slightly better weather than google maps can show and better than normal miserable weather. The weather was too good and easily visible so that why she did not know the road.

I give you a tour of possible entry of the M20 to the wrong side of the carriageway.
    Entering Dual Carriageway from Adare end
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.580186,-8.738489&spn=0.00105,0.00261&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.580186,-8.738489&panoid=hvSk7POVeSnB_bPQUSxHiA&cbp=12,75.28,,0,2.94&z=19

Entering Dual Carriageway at Patrickwell N20 Road.
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.585257,-8.720981&spn=0.001056,0.00261&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.585257,-8.720981&panoid=wHKptxFn41uXULh6er3JuQ&cbp=12,44.04,,0,15.09&z=19

Entering Dual Carriageway at Patrickwell Racecourse
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.598545,-8.70136&spn=0.002111,0.00522&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.59863,-8.70142&panoid=t0Zzd2fQNH7la5bcRPSi6g&cbp=12,24.2,,0,11.76&z=18

Last of all

Entering Dual Carriageway at Raheen Buisness Park
    https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.610794,-8.659877&spn=0.004222,0.010439&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.610692,-8.660142&panoid=310DpSq_9363c7sSdOFHWw&cbp=12,245.11,,0,23.07&z=17https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=maps+M20+Limerick&ll=52.6099,-8.665397&spn=0.001055,0.00261&hnear=M20,+County+Limerick&gl=ie&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.61002,-8.665101&panoid=0RiaTG6qHJIi_63rQt0Y7w&cbp=12,62.16,,0,8.87&z=19

Quite a lot of drivers grievously offending her that evening, in trying to save her life, her passengers lives and other road users lives. She was dam lucky that a normal male/female speed racers did not meet her on that bend in the overtaking lane.

Edit: Add Video to Post
    I was incorrect on the earlier post about clouds. They must have arrive with the kerry driver.
    Video not great and it is out by one hour, as I never set the Summer Time, It was 7:10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I cannot fathom how someone can enter a dualler the wrong way when they are signposted like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

ofcork wrote: »
    I cannot fathom how someone can enter a dualler the wrong way when they are signposted like that.

Advances in medicine, the safety net of social welfare and H&S legislation have allowed stupid people to breed before Darwinian mechanics can weed them out of the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Jesus thats scary when you see it,imagine someone coming up the outside lifting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Jesus thats scary when you see it,imagine someone coming up the outside lifting it!
    I Know, I was going to go into the overtaking lane to overtake slower cars. If she was 10-15 seconds slower, it could easily be a crash with me at the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My wife used to blame me for making her nervous when I was in the car and she was driving. She'd do some silly things that she claimed she'd never do when I'm not with her and I kind of believed her. I've figured out over time that it wasn't nervousness at all but she'd just be too busy talking when I'm in the car. This held true when she had friends in the car on a couple of occasions and missed turnoffs that she'd be familiar with but even more so in the difference in her parking ability when she's on her own but talking to someone on hands-free v's on her own but not talking. I'd wager there was an animated conversation going on in that car.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    My wife used to blame me for making her nervous when I was in the car and she was driving. She'd do some silly things that she claimed she'd never do when I'm not with her and I kind of believed her. I've figured out over time that it wasn't nervousness at all but she'd just be too busy talking when I'm in the car. This held true when she had friends in the car on a couple of occasions and missed turnoffs that she'd be familiar with but even more so in the difference in her parking ability when she's on her own but talking to someone on hands-free v's on her own but not talking. I'd wager there was an animated conversation going on in that car.

i don't mean any offense but maybe your wife shouldn't be transporting people in her vehicles if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭lau1247

Learners are not allowed on the Motorway, so they get no lessons on the Motorway, and aren't tested on the Motorway. It's hardly surprising that some of them don't know how to drive on the Motorway after they get their full license.

Still doesn't change the fact that if the right signs are erected, it would help the said learner to pick up motorway driving rule/etiquette

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Was on the M6 the other night and came upon a car in the outside lane with nothing to the left of it.

I patiently waited and waited and waited before putting my indicator on hoping to get noticed. After quite a while I finally decided to flash the offender.

They did pull over but this girl basically went berserk in the drivers seat.
    I first got the internationally understood wanker sign and then had her flashing her lights and blowing the horn. She then attempted to come up behind me and start flashing at me ( I was overtaking a line at the time proving she had no idea why I had flashed her in the first place).

What is it with people, do they think you have grievously offended them by flashing them out of the way ?

Sorry, I have opened threads on this before, I just don't get it.

Were you exceeding the speed limit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Simple solution to the lane hogging would be an unmarked traffic corps car with video evidence and automatic fine and penalty points in the post.

Easily done with dash cams and ANPR systems.

I'm also horrified at trucks overtaking really slowly.

I was in the overtaking lane on the M8 overtaking a block of slow moving traffic and a truck pulled out in front of me at 60km/h

I flashed hazards and brakes and also held down horn to alert driver behind me as much as blast truck.

Trucker gave me the finger and blasted horn flashed lights did wanker sign etc etc

He could have caused a pile up!

I've seen this manoeuvre on Irish motorways a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Were you exceeding the speed limit ?

Ah jeez! Not this chestnut again. Whether he was at, under or over the speed limit is irrelevant. If he wants to blast up lane 2/3 at 140kmh it is not up to any of us to police that.
    Move over and let him off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Jesus thats scary

Tell me about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Ah jeez! Not this chestnut again. Whether he was at, under or over the speed limit is irrelevant. If he wants to blast up lane 2/3 at 140kmh it is not up to any of us to police that.
    Move over and let him off!

It is relevant, OP states there was line of cars to overtake ahead of him. If travelling at the limit and about to overtake them also then she is entitled to stay in that lane until she has done so, rather than pull over, delay herself, to facililitate someone who is already outside the allowed rules of the road.
    But lets not speculate until we have the asnwer, maybe the OP wasnt speeding, and she was indeed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It is relevant, OP states there was line of cars to overtake ahead of him. If travelling at the limit and about to overtake them also then she is entitled to stay in that lane until she has done so, rather than pull over, delay herself, to facililitate someone who is already outside the allowed rules of the road.
    But lets not speculate until we have the asnwer, maybe the OP wasnt speeding, and she was indeed wrong.

She was wrong. He says above there was nothing beside her and he waited "quite a while" before flashing the headlights at her

That to me says she was sitting out there oblivious or just ignorant - whether he was "speeding" :rolleyes: or not is irrelevant in that situation.. she shouldn't have been there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

:rolleyes:

Maybe she just started a new job, or her mother is on holidays, or her bra was too tight. How many other dumb excuses can you come up with for hogging the overtaking lane?

Whether the OP was speeding is completely irrelevant. It's not up to us to act when somebody else is breaking the rules of the road. There's a gang of fellahs and girls whose job it is to look after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure why alot of people are claiming driving in the UK is better than here. I spent last week in UK driving >1,000 miles on motorways A and B roads.
    Motorways there are much scarier places than here.
    People drive too close, drive too fast, aggressively overtake etc etc. In Ireland the speed at which people drive has definitely come down over the years. Some still drive too close but not to the extent that I saw in England. Also I now fully understand the 'White Van Man' that we hear about on British TV. The van drivers over here are angels in comparison.
    So Ireland has some problems with driving but I think they are not as bad as some like to think.

Advertisement