Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seriously, I am not grievously offending you !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kilclon wrote: »
    I remember a friend of mine in college telling me that his dad did this just to piss people off. That's what we're up against I'm afraid.

Have had it happen a few times, even on motorways where you'll get people who decide they want to race but at least you're not on the wrong side of the road at the time.

A lot of Irish people in general just have massive chips/inferiority complexes (think of the type who bought a new base spec motor every year because Paddy next door had one - it's the same type who now bother themselves with what Paddy might be getting/claiming that they're not) which only magnifies when you put these people behind the wheel of a car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

serious3 wrote: »
    came up behind a diesel ford c-max that was behind a campervan on the N5 yesterday evening both doing 45-50mph, now campervan man was not going to pull in the hard shoulder (never ever do!) the man in the c-max diesel stuck his nose out and thought he couldn't get past so i went passed the two of them (the joys of a 2.5l jaaaag!) anyhoo a few miles down the road i'm cruising at 65mph when i see lights in my mirror closing fairly quickly as the get closer they flashed me a few times, my first thought was its the gardai..... i pull over to the hard shoulder to let them passed and look across to see the c-max driver gesticulating wildly at me and roaring something:confused:
    i let him in front and continued on my merry way. now i can't possibly have insulted his manhood any more than being made drive a diesel c-max so it must have been me having the audacity to dare to overtake!!. now before anyone gets on their high horse about speeding i will admit to being over the speed limit when passing the two vehicles but it was not a dangerous manouver nor did i cut anyone up, i was in the centre of the opposite lane with indicators in and out of the lane, oh and i had my 8yr old with me so i was "driving like a granny like you do with the kids in the car" according to the boss

He probably just got a fright as he forgot to check behind him and just before he was going to pull out you went flying past :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

kilclon wrote: »
    I remember a friend of mine in college telling me that his dad did this just to piss people off. That's what we're up against I'm afraid.

He'd want to be careful. Lots of dashcams out there now and I know if I were injured by that kind of thing I would hesitate to sue.

If uninjured:
    I would also happily post it on YouTube / send to gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

He probably just got a fright as he forgot to check behind him and just before he was going to pull out you went flying past :pac::pac:

well he went from centre of lane to passenger wheels on hard shoulder over the yellow line, i pushed the sport button and buried my foot into the carpet:P probabaly frightened him with the V6 howl......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Got two fingers at the weekend from some wagon in a Yaris because I gave a short beep at her. She was playing with her radio and not looking at the road. All the cars in front of us had moved off. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Ah jeez! Not this chestnut again. Whether he was at, under or over the speed limit is irrelevant.

If he wants to blast up lane 2/3 at 140kmh it is not up to any of us to police that. Move over and let him off!

There seems to be a range of opinion concerning this subject matter.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I patiently waited and waited and waited before putting my indicator on hoping to get noticed. After quite a while I finally decided to flash the offender.

They did pull over but this girl basically went berserk in the drivers seat.
    I first got the internationally understood wanker sign and then had her flashing her lights and blowing the horn. She then attempted to come up behind me and start flashing at me ( I was overtaking a line at the time proving she had no idea why I had flashed her in the first place).

What is it with people, do they think you have grievously offended them by flashing them out of the way ?
    I had an ex years ago that was lovely, dedicated a lot of her time to charity and helped anyone and everyon.

Put her behind the wheel and she completely flipped. People not going as fast as she was got a fierce surprise and she would push her little 1 litre corsa as far as she could up their ass'.
    I was in the overtaking lane on Saturday morning, doing almost 20kmh over the speed limit and went passed an A4 in the middle lane.

Apparently this was just awful and i needed to be flashed at, have the middle finger waved by both the driver and his wife.

Irish drivers don't take well to being flashed or beeped at, especially when you compare us to UK or continental motorists.

One theory that if have is, that it's down to having low self-esteem. They feel so low that they can't take any criticism. You flashing that driver was basically interpreted as you calling her a terrible driver in public. Even though she probably thought she was doing nothing wrong and letting you by wouldn't inconvenience her that much, it's the act of being judged negatively by another person that sends her into a rage.

On top of this, ignorance of the rules of the road will see some drivers being flashed/beeped/getting into disagreements more often than others. And so these people will have shorter fuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to me in Kerry. Was behind a guy on a windy road for ages doing 20-25 miles an hour. It was slow for the road but there were no overtaking spots. Eventually we got to a straight and he did the same thing matching my speed as I overtook. By the time I could get ahead of him I was doing 75mph and sweating like crazy
    This happens to me so often on my way to work. People doing like 30-40km/h on 80km/h road... I don't know is this some sort of new practice but lots of time when I overtake them, they flash and horn. What the hell? Once a girl even wanted to ram me, really regret that I still did not buy dash cam.
    Does people are afraid of driving or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

yoshiktk wrote: »
    This happens to me so often on my way to work. People doing like 30-40km/h on 80km/h road... I don't know is this some sort of new practice but lots of time when I overtake them, they flash and horn. What the hell? Once a girl even wanted to ram me, really regret that I still did not buy dash cam.
    Does people are afraid of driving or what?

You will find you get an over reaction from people who feel unsure of what they are doing, the most aggressive people in Jobs I have worked in were always the ones that were just winging it and could not really do their jobs correctly, the same can be said for driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dord wrote: »
    Got two fingers at the weekend from some wagon in a Yaris because I gave a short beep at her. She was playing with her radio and not looking at the road. All the cars in front of us had moved off. :rolleyes:
    Ha. I once got the finger off a girl in Enfield when I flashed her to warn her that her hubcap was about to fall off:) No good deed.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Ha. I once got the finger off a girl in Enfield when I flashed her

Well, whatever floats your boat! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

No small feat waving your lad at young ones while driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Ha. I once got the finger off a girl in Enfield when I flashed her
    Jesus. wrote: »
    Well, whatever floats your boat! :P
    glynf wrote: »
    No small feat waving your lad at young ones while driving :D

roflmao.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I should choose my words more carefully:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There seems to be a range of opinion concerning this subject matter.

I dont know how it works here in Ireland but a few years ago I use to work with a few traffic police officers. One day on my way to work I came across (as usual) a lane hogger, I waited for over 5 minutes before I overtook using the left lane (this was in Spain).

Whie as I was overtaking I looked back and realized that there was a police car a few cars behind. Inmediately he turned on his lights and accelerated. I thought, oh well this is it! He got me what surprised me is what he did next, he stopped the car on the overtaking lane!!

So I asked my friend (the policeman) and he said that it is common practice. He use to do this a lot too. The right lane (left here) is only meant to be used to overtake. It doesnt matter if you are already doing the speed limit, you have to get out of the way and let the car behind you pass. This lane should only be used to overtake, nothing more. He said that people often use to say, "Why did you stop me and not the guy who just overtook me doing 160? I was doing the speed limit" to which he use to reply. "It is not up to you to decide who what speed is adequate or not, if other people want to exceed the speed limit, let them, its my job to stop them not yours"

Lane hoggers are annoying but whats even worse is those cars that will sit 2 meters behind you asking you to move despite the fact that there are 2 or 3 cars in front of you... I came across one the other day who actually made me snap.. I let him pass and gave him a taste of his own medicine... not proud ofwhat I did but he well deserved it... I have it on my dashcam I might upload it later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I saw some fool on the M50 one day oblivious to the squad car with lights blazing and horn blaring behind her as they tried to get past and she camped out in the outside lane. They undertook her - slowed to hurl abuse out the window and carried on their way to whatever emergency.

The silly cow finally got the message, but what hope for the rest of us till they legalize Bren guns on cars.

Bohrio wrote: »
    I dont know how it works here in Ireland but a few years ago I use to work with a few traffic police officers. One day on my way to work I came across (as usual) a lane hogger, I waited for over 5 minutes before I overtook using the left lane (this was in Spain).

Whie as I was overtaking I looked back and realized that there was a police car a few cars behind. Inmediately he turned on his lights and accelerated. I thought, oh well this is it! He got me what surprised me is what he did next, he stopped the car on the overtaking lane!!

So I asked my friend (the policeman) and he said that it is common practice. He use to do this a lot too. The right lane (left here) is only meant to be used to overtake. It doesnt matter if you are already doing the speed limit, you have to get out of the way and let the car behind you pass. This lane should only be used to overtake, nothing more. He said that people often use to say, "Why did you stop me and not the guy who just overtook me doing 160? I was doing the speed limit" to which he use to reply. "It is not up to you to decide who what speed is adequate or not, if other people want to exceed the speed limit, let them, its my job to stop them not yours"

Traffic police ought to be doing both of course, ie enforcing speed limits as well as proper lane discipline.

With regard to motorists 'policing' each other, I gather that some resent being flashed/beeped for speeding while others hate the same reaction for hogging the overtaking lane. My guess is that the two groups of flasher-beepers regularly encounter each other.

Lane hoggers are annoying but whats even worse is those cars that will sit 2 meters behind you asking you to move despite the fact that there are 2 or 3 cars in front of you... I came across one the other day who actually made me snap.. I let him pass and gave him a taste of his own medicine... not proud ofwhat I did but he well deserved it... I have it on my dashcam I might upload it later

Does this scenario seem plausible? You're driving on a motorway at or just below the speed limit. There is traffic up ahead moving at a slower speed so you move to the overtaking lane. Unfortunately up ahead you find three or four more vehicles in the overtaking lane travelling at less than the speed limit. You can't pass, but then up behind you comes somebody travelling in excess of the speed limit. Now you're in their way. Then somebody appears behind them travelling far faster than the speed limit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

With regard to motorists 'policing' each other, I gather that some resent being flashed/beeped for speeding while others hate the same reaction for hogging the overtaking lane. My guess is that the two groups of flasher-beepers regularly encounter each other.

If the key difference between someone flashing another driver beacause they dont like their speeding (none of their business) and someone flashing to alert someone to their intention to overtake on a motorway evades you I think you're a lost cause.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    If the key difference between someone flashing another driver beacause they dont like their speeding (none of their business) and someone flashing to alert someone to their intention to overtake on a motorway evades you I think you're a lost cause.

I believe that it has been said that it's the job of police to do the enforcing. If lawbreaking on the road is nobody else's business, why would that principle not apply equally to both speeding and lane-hogging?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I saw some fool on the M50 one day oblivious to the squad car with lights blazing and horn blaring behind her as they tried to get past and she camped out in the outside lane. They undertook her - slowed to hurl abuse out the window and carried on their way to whatever emergency.

The silly cow finally got the message, but what hope for the rest of us till they legalize Bren guns on cars.

Police racing to a genuine emergency taking the time to slow down in order to "hurl abuse"?

I believe that it has been said that it's the job of police to do the enforcing. If lawbreaking on the road is nobody else's business, why would that principle not apply equally to both speeding and lane-hogging?

You're a wind up merchant but ill bite this once anyway and then be done.

Asking someone to move over to let you make better progress is not policing the roads, its letting a fellow motorist know you are behind and if they were so way inclined they might let you past. Like I said if you don't get it no amounts of posts or common sense on here will change that.

You're a wind up merchant but ill bite this once anyway and then be done.

Asking someone to move over to let you make better progress is not policing the roads, its letting a fellow motorist know you are behind and if they were so way inclined they might let you past. Like I said if you don't get it no amounts of posts or common sense on here will change that.

I was thinking more of this kind of thing:
    I had an ex years ago that was lovely, dedicated a lot of her time to charity and helped anyone and everyon.

Put her behind the wheel and she completely flipped. People not going as fast as she was got a fierce surprise and she would push her little 1 litre corsa as far as she could up their ass'.
    Not a care in the world for other drivers, felt in risk of my life whenever I had no choice but to take a lift off her.

I genuinely dumped her over her driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I was thinking more of this kind of thing

But that's talking about tailgating, not flashing.

But that's talking about tailgating, not flashing.

True that.

However, it seems that flashing can also be perceived as aggressive or confrontational.

Lane-hoggers get p|ssed off if other drivers flash them when they want to get past. Motorists wishing to overtake get p|ssed off when other drivers flash them for driving so fast.

Irish drivers don't take well to being flashed or beeped at, especially when you compare us to UK or continental motorists.

One theory that if have is, that it's down to having low self-esteem. They feel so low that they can't take any criticism. You flashing that driver was basically interpreted as you calling her a terrible driver in public. Even though she probably thought she was doing nothing wrong and letting you by wouldn't inconvenience her that much, it's the act of being judged negatively by another person that sends her into a rage.

On top of this, ignorance of the rules of the road will see some drivers being flashed/beeped/getting into disagreements more often than others. And so these people will have shorter fuses.

Lane-hoggers get p|ssed off if other drivers flash them when they want to get past. Motorists wishing to overtake get p|ssed off when other drivers flash them for driving so fast.

Occasionally, I might forget to dip my lights as someone approaches, and they give me a quick flash to remind me. Sometimes a driver is cruising along in the overtaking lane for no reason, and I give them a quick flash, and they pull over and wave apologetically.

It's a signal, it's not a big deal.

Mind you, someone signalling at my rapidly disappearing rear after I have overtaken is wasting his time, and the only message I'm getting is "I am very cranky!" which is not really worth signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So the driving lane was clear, then? :p

However, it seems that flashing can also be perceived as aggressive or confrontational.

Thats exactly why we have this thread. Its a uniquely Irish trait to get pissed off when someone flashes you when they wish to overtake.

The message to these people (of whom there are plenty on here) should be clear - there is no offense meant by this gesture! It is merely a way of letting you know that there is someone who would like to make faster progress than you and would appreciate if you could do your bit to help out.

If you are planning on overtaking a car 100m ahead and a car appraches much faster just pull over for the 2-3 secs it takes to let the car behind get past, its simply good manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

So the driving lane was clear, then? :p

This is interesting. If there are 4 or 5 cars in the overtaking lane and room to move in, (typical of middle lane hoggers here) who's the hogger? Is it just the first car, or is it all of them? The guy in the second car doesn't think it's him as he can't get past the hogger. The guy in the third car wants to get past both of them. The guy in car 4 ... you get the picture.
    For me it's the first guy. But a mate says it's all of them.

Thats exactly why we have this thread. Its a uniquely Irish trait to get pissed off when someone flashes you when they wish to overtake.

The message to these people (of whom there are plenty on here) should be clear - there is no offense meant by this gesture! It is merely a way of letting you know that there is someone who would like to make faster progress than you and would appreciate if you could do your bit to help out.

If you are planning on overtaking a car 100m ahead and a car appraches much faster just pull over for the 2-3 secs it takes to let the car behind get past, its simply good manners.

Is it a uniquely Irish trait to get pissed off when someone flashes you? Period, as they say in the States.

DubTony wrote: »
    This is interesting. If there are 4 or 5 cars in the overtaking lane and room to move in, (typical of middle lane hoggers here) who's the hogger? Is it just the first car, or is it all of them? The guy in the second car doesn't think it's him as he can't get past the hogger. The guy in the third car wants to get past both of them. The guy in car 4 ... you get the picture.
    For me it's the first guy. But a mate says it's all of them.

Indeed. All flashing each other, politely of course.
    Does this scenario seem plausible? You're driving on a motorway at or just below the speed limit. There is traffic up ahead moving at a slower speed so you move to the overtaking lane. Unfortunately up ahead you find three or four more vehicles in the overtaking lane travelling at less than the speed limit. You can't pass, but then up behind you comes somebody travelling in excess of the speed limit. Now you're in their way. Then somebody appears behind them travelling far faster than the speed limit...

Is it a uniquely Irish trait to get pissed off when someone flashes you? Period, as they say in the States.

It is certainly very routine to get flashed from behind on motorways on the Continent, much more common than it is here.

• Advertisement

Ive travelled all over the world and genuinely haven't witnessed any sort of aggression or annoyance when flashing someone to move over. In Europe especially it is seen for what it is with no insults associated.

Advertisement